Hunahpu's Day 2018

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by FLBeerGuy, Oct 28, 2017.

1. FLBeerGuy

FLBeerGuy Meyvn (1,047) Feb 6, 2007 Florida
    Trader

From their facebook page:

Hunahpu's Day is Cigar City Brewing's annual craft beer celebration centered around the release of Hunahpu's Imperial Stout. This celebration is the only way to get bottles of this highly anticipated annual release.

Please note the change of venue, Hunaphu's Day 2018 will be held at Raymond James Stadium in lots 5 & 7.

--
    Tickets on Sale 11/24

12 Bottle Tickets $370
    8 Bottle Tickets $300
    4 Bottle Tickets $200
    --

Website with full details launching next week

2. Gsteele292

Gsteele292 Initiate (55) May 25, 2016 Florida

I wonder if El Cat members will get first Dibs again...

3. Joehio

Joehio Initiate (63) Sep 7, 2016 Florida

Not that we needed it last year. Tickets didn't sellout until like a week before. Maybe even later. They started offering ticket packages with hotel options to try and sellout.

4. DMaCATO

DMaCATO Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2013 Indiana

That venue change is disappointing to me. Was hoping to attend this year for the first time, but now I'm on the fence. Who wants to sit in a parking lot all day?

5. Joehio

Joehio Initiate (63) Sep 7, 2016 Florida

It could actually be better. If they throw up a big tent with picnic tables it could be better than the brewery parking lot or park. The park was a nice venue because of the views and the grounds were nice, but it was a tight squeeze with limited areas to find shade or a seat anyway. If the parking lot is a bigger area than the park and they manufacture some shade and seating it could be more enjoyable in all aspects besides the the aesthetics of the river walk.

Thirst_trappist, DMaCATO and ahroun like this.
  6. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (4,967) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

I'm concerned that it's only two "sections" of the lot...not having any knowledge of the actual size of those sections.

7. NDogg44

NDogg44 Initiate (122) Oct 21, 2015 Texas

If it's anything like the other NFL stadium parking lots, I would be willing to bet there will be more than enough room for the festival. That being said, there is a Yankees game at Steinbrenner Field (right next door to Raymond James Stadium) at 1:05 PM that same day.

Sabtos likes this.
  8. Sabtos

Trader

Good lord, Tampa already packing those events in again. Now I'm just waiting for someone to schedule a Fun Run through our corral space as well. :grin:

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  9. Lare453

Lare453 Meyvn (1,360) Feb 1, 2012 Florida
    Trader

Email says el cat gets early ticket access.

10. Lare453

Trader

And the festival app is going to be available agai this year! For all the smart phone users at least.

Sabtos likes this.
  11. Sabtos

Trader

And all the mead fans rejoiced! :rofl:

gjoker321, SammyJaxxxx and Macsimus like this.
  12. MJS08

MJS08 Aspirant (278) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Premium

Those parking for baseball will park on the north side of RJS and walk over the bridge. Lots 5 and 7 are on the south side along Dale Mabry.

http://raymondjamesstadium.com/parking/

It's close to the brewery, airport, and lots of hotels. Easy in and out, and, I assume, plenty of, well, parking. Will they charge to park? They did downtown. Don't forget, Huna Day got started in a rather small parking lot. And, to the fellow who mentioned sitting in a parking lot all day, if you're sitting, you're not doing what you ought to be doing. Should be lots of room for places to deposit your used beer. And that's a good thing. Cheers.

13. The_Snow_Bird

The_Snow_Bird Poo-Bah (1,517) May 7, 2015 Florida

Not too worried about space, I’m more worried about shade. The sun and I aren’t best of friends

14. Gsteele292

Gsteele292 Initiate (55) May 25, 2016 Florida

Yes, Let's hope there is a huge tent (or series of tents). I think they learned that from the last Huna Day at CCB - there was a nice big tent. Shade will be necessary, as it is sometimes scorchingly hot in March, #Florida. It's always nice to have first dibs as an El Cat member, despite it not selling out last year. This has a potential to be a good fest as long as there is some shade available. parking lots reflect the sun! hats and sunscreen are a must.

15. MJS08

MJS08 Aspirant (278) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Premium

16. jumboj11

jumboj11 Initiate (183) May 24, 2009 Georgia
    Trader

This. I really hope they're smart enough to provide all sorts of tents for shade, otherwise we're going to bake out there on the asphalt.

17. NoMoreBeerBelly

NoMoreBeerBelly Initiate (136) Dec 2, 2009 North Carolina

MJS08 likes this.
  18. BKnarr

BKnarr Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2012 Florida

You get a view of the home of the 2002 super bowl champion Tampa Bay Bucs. :joy:

19. The_Snow_Bird

The_Snow_Bird Poo-Bah (1,517) May 7, 2015 Florida

Tropicana Field would’ve been better

VABA likes this.
  20. swortman25

swortman25 Initiate (145) Nov 7, 2013 Georgia

Wonder if bottle shares will be allowed again

21. Sabtos

Trader

With all that great, free beer do we really need to bring more? I saw some people that were in real bad shape last year, worse than the previous year. I think we'll be good, unless for some odd reason they host fewer breweries or tap fewer kegs, but I doubt that since they continue to listen to feedback and improve the fest each year. Hotel shares all throughout TBBW surely will continue to suffice.

maximum12, Gsteele292 and BKnarr like this.
  22. MHorridge

MHorridge Devotee (482) May 16, 2010 Florida
    Premium Trader

It’s possible, I suppose (and I’m presuming you’re referring back to the time when Huna Day was at the brewery), but I wouldn’t count on it. RJ Stadium parking lots are controlled by the Tampa Sports Authority, which is a public entity. I have a hard time seeing it being any more cool with “BYOB to a beer fest on our property” than the city itself given liability concerns.

HeartofMiami likes this.
  23. stupidgoodness

stupidgoodness Initiate (0) May 21, 2013 Florida

24. thirdeye

thirdeye Initiate (110) May 31, 2013 Florida
    Trader

I personally hope so!! It helped move people away from the lines, etc. Was another stop you had to make while navigating the day. I thought the share itself was epic. Awesome group of random people popping bottles

#24 thirdeye, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    swortman25 likes this.
  25. Lare453

Trader

We can’t all walk around with a notepad taking notes on 2 ounce samples of beer...

Sabtos likes this.
  26. ChWRoCk

ChWRoCk Initiate (50) Dec 9, 2013 Illinois

I plan on attending this festival for the first time, is it fairly easy to get tickets for this event? Flights are really cheap right now, would hate to book and miss out.

Safe to say you will get 1 Double Barrel for every 3 regular Hunahpu?

27. FrankenMiller

FrankenMiller Initiate (146) Mar 5, 2014 Florida
    Trader

The tickets will be online for sale on 11/24. Last year I dont think it sold out. They just stopped selling tickets because the company had to get wristbands shipped out.

I have no idea what you mean with your DB to Huna question. At Huna day you have the option to purchase 4, 8 or 12 bottles of HUNA with the ticket. No bottles sales that day, just pick ups.

28. BKnarr

BKnarr Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2012 Florida

I see you're from Chicago, so maybe this is a dark lord day thing, but no you most likely won't get any DB Huna bottles at Huna Day unless some thing changes. DB Huna bottles have been released twice, both times to El Catador Members only. Only time you were able to purchase DB Huna bottles on Huna Day was 2014 when they had some leftover bottles of B1.

29. ChWRoCk

ChWRoCk Initiate (50) Dec 9, 2013 Illinois

Ok, thanks.

I just assumed one was included, good to know.

30. Sphilups

Sphilups Initiate (32) Dec 15, 2016 Florida

Phew, good thing you asked or else could have been some serious disappointment lol

Freshly_Squeezed_Ry likes this.
  31. lionelhutz23

lionelhutz23 Initiate (125) Jul 21, 2014 Florida

No there was also a time DB Huna was told at Huna Day without telling anyone in advance and people were walking out with multiple bottles while I stood in line really mad.

32. Sphilups

Sphilups Initiate (32) Dec 15, 2016 Florida

Totally unrelated to his question.

33. lionelhutz23

I was just posting a comment. I wasn't answering a question.

34. FrankenMiller

Trader

That was not really a surprise... I learned that they did post a message on Twitter the day before Huna day promoting a "special bottle sale".

My buddy and I got in a little early and were in the Merch line when a girl came out of the tap room and put a sign up that gave the list of beers avail and limits. We were one and 2 in line and we walked away with a case of DB each. (We are both ECC members). We guarded that shit like it was gold the rest of the day.

We did open a bottle late that night... I guess we passed out before we drank the whole thing .... so what do you do? You drink DB Huna in the lobby of the hotel at 9am in the morning.

In reality, I dont see them selling anything extra at Huna any more. With the new "Cellar" cooler they can just put in there and make bank on it.

Sabtos likes this.
  35. lionelhutz23

I was not on twitter back then. I got there only a bit early because they told everyone to not get there until 11. I was so young back then. So innocent and trusting.

36. Lare453

Trader

Ticket emails are out.

And Garagiste Meadery featured prominately in the email. How’s your notebook?

37. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Initiate (184) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Trader

38. the_bavarian

the_bavarian Initiate (42) Sep 15, 2017 Florida
    Trader

Any idea when the breweries list will be out? Excited about this it's my first Huna...

39. FrankenMiller

Trader

They said early 2018. I think it started to form and be released in Jan last year. I just hope most of them bring more beer this year. Alot of tents out of beer by 230-3pm

40. lionelhutz23

Agree. Some breweries brought like 2 beers with them that were their core beers.