Hunahpu's Day 2018

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by FLBeerGuy, Oct 28, 2017.

1. beergorrilla

beergorrilla Meyvn (1,179) Feb 21, 2012 Michigan
    Trader

I know its early but i need a beer list bad to make my plan of attack

Sabtos likes this.
  2. Freshly_Squeezed_Ry

Freshly_Squeezed_Ry Initiate (65) Feb 9, 2017 Florida
    Trader

I've been going through last years thread over the last couple days, and that research tells me it's simply to early, and any list this early would not be remotely accurate. That's why I uploaded the spreadsheet from last year to hold myself and others over until a 2018 list was released.

beergorrilla likes this.
  3. Pooles26

Pooles26 Aspirant (201) Nov 17, 2011 Connecticut

Anyone going to Magnumpalooza on the Thurs?

Lare453 likes this.
  4. mrtomatohead49

mrtomatohead49 Aspirant (241) Apr 9, 2013 Georgia
    Trader

I forgot the exact name of the place but there was a small bottle shop in St. Pete nearby cycle that had an awesome selection of bombers in addition to selling 2,3,6, and 12 shippers

Skellbop and The_Snow_Bird like this.
  5. J455K

J455K Initiate (129) Mar 24, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

So while there I plan on going to angry chair, cycle, cigar city, and the event at Raymond James. I will not have a vehicle as I will be flying and and using Uber. Where is a good ( cheap but without bugs) place to stay. I would rather spend $ on beer than a hotel room but also don't want to bring bugs home with me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

6. The_Snow_Bird

The_Snow_Bird Initiate (0) May 7, 2015 Florida

American Spirits in the Publix plaza

Skellbop likes this.
  7. Lapalou

Lapalou Aspirant (293) Dec 21, 2014 Florida
    Trader

If you are only planning to visit cycle once, the rest of the stuff you are looking to do is in Tampa and the best area for you to stay is either west shore area or the stadium. It would be only a 15 min uber to AC. And you’d have 1 long ride to cycle for that visit. If you are thinking about going to cycles releases multiple days, you may want to stay on the st Pete side in downtown. It’s one or the other, staying in between (at the first st Pete exit off the bridge), would be your worst choice.

8. J455K

Trader

Are they usually bottle shares in cycle and angry chair release lines?

9. Bfairhurst74

Bfairhurst74 Initiate (132) Nov 16, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

Yes, there is always small groups sharing bottles. Usually towards the front of the line is a larger share.

J455K likes this.
  10. LennyRubio

LennyRubio Initiate (113) May 31, 2012 Florida

I’d start looking at Airbnb, hotel rates are high during tbbw

I-LIKE-BEER74, J455K and maximum12 like this.
  11. NoleBeerNoleFun

NoleBeerNoleFun Aspirant (284) Aug 17, 2015 Florida
    Premium Trader

Agreed..between Snowbirds.. Spring Breakers..Spring Training..TBBW..St Petersburg Grand Prix..and Valspar PGA Event it's a brutal week to be looking for bargain rates..at least this year they moved The Tampa Bay Boat Show up a weekend so they all don't happen together

12. mig100

mig100 Savant (940) Aug 3, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Airbnb and VRBO rates are more of a rip than hotel rates in Tampa right now.

the_bavarian likes this.
  13. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (3,813) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

Not sure where you're looking. We picked up a fantastic-looking AirBnB two weeks ago for about $100/night, including fees. It's not right next to CC or the stadium, but for a great place to relax we'll put up with the extra Uber ride or two every day.

Hopsiam14 likes this.
  14. mig100

mig100 Savant (940) Aug 3, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Around the airport area. Key words may have been two weeks ago. Not a whole lot left in the way of entire homes for a group at reasonable prices.

the_bavarian likes this.
  15. jumboj11

jumboj11 Initiate (179) May 24, 2009 Georgia

Our group ran into this problem and we booked ours over a month ago. There's plenty if you're a solo/small group and don't mind doing the private room option. But if you're a larger group, there isn't a lot of inventory. Spring Break/Spring Training cuts into that inventory significantly I would think.

16. Blazer06

Blazer06 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2008 Florida

Spring break, spring training, snow birds, Grand Prix race, pga tournament, music festival, etc. It's a little busy that time of year and especially that weekend. Those events didn't all fall on that weekend in the past but for some reason over the last few years everything seemed to move to the same weekend as Hunahpus day. I think Grand Prix was mid April and then got moved a couple years ago.

Sabtos likes this.
  17. macrosmatic

macrosmatic Poo-Bah (2,438) Mar 9, 2006 Florida
    Premium Trader

VIP ticket incentive, I guess...
    [​IMG]

18. bparker551

bparker551 Aspirant (201) Jan 6, 2015 North Carolina
    Trader

Are VIP tickets anyone that purchased the 12 bottle option? I don’t remember them saying that for the initial member tickets option but it is advertised now by the 12 bottle option

19. MHorridge

MHorridge Devotee (481) May 16, 2010 Florida
    Premium Trader

Correct. The VIP notation has been out there a while.

HeartofMiami and bparker551 like this.
  20. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (4,735) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

Oh shit really? I didn't see that at all. I got stuck with 24 bottles last year before they reduced the cases into smaller ticket allotments, wasn't going to do that again. Oh well guess I'm not 'vip' this year.

21. hiddendecoy

hiddendecoy Initiate (53) Dec 13, 2015 Connecticut

Has anyone tried transferring wristbands? Someone couldn't go and if I were to go instead, would the mismatch in names be an issue? The call number on the site said it was simply up to when you got there if they checked or not.

22. Bfairhurst74

Trader

They have not checked to see if they match in the past.

23. beergorrilla

beergorrilla Meyvn (1,179) Feb 21, 2012 Michigan
    Trader

Is the 2018 ba cuvee gonna be on draft at huna day

24. Sphilups

Sphilups Initiate (32) Dec 15, 2016 Florida

Anyone know what the cuvée is?

25. lionelhutz23

lionelhutz23 Initiate (125) Jul 21, 2014 Florida

If anyone remembers Growler Tuesday, "cuvee" at CCB means a bunch of leftover beer they need to get rid of that they just blend together. I'm going to guess it's left over BA stouts that they just threw a Huna treatment on. Boom BA Cuvee Huna!

26. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (4,735) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

I mean that's what cuvee is all about, whether it's 'leftover' beer or not though.

Some of the best stouts I've ever had have been blends. They're not necessarily trying to get rid of leftover junk. More often than not, they are some of their best beers blended together with an eye towards a new, unique, deep and complex experience.

Remains to be seen what CCB does here but I'd be excited about it if I had the opportunity to grab it. Hope it sees draft at the fest, or around that week.

27. lionelhutz23

lionelhutz23 Initiate (125) Jul 21, 2014 Florida

I was just joking. It's a Huna beer it's obviously going to be good. However, having purchased several prior cuvees from CCB they definitely were just dumping shit together that sounded like it would work with beers that came out months before.

Sabtos likes this.
  28. 305BEER

305BEER Initiate (49) Jan 4, 2011 Florida
    Trader

There was a cuvee at the last ccb parking lot hunah day that was one of the highlights for me. I don’t remember everything in it but it had some sort of ba hunah, ba big sound, and I think Leon. I’ve always enjoyed the cheers! As well

Lapalou likes this.
  29. Todes

Todes Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2008 Florida

Campeador rurik I think that one was

30. 305BEER

305BEER Initiate (49) Jan 4, 2011 Florida
    Trader

that was a strong ale/ stout blend in a bottle. It was cuvée de Fromm #4 I’m thinking of and I was completey off on the blend. It was zuhkov, cherry cordial, and winter warmer in bourbon. I’m one of the people who still loves most of their ba stuff in el cat but man thinking about some of those beers from even just three years ago has me missing that era.

31. Todes

Todes Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2008 Florida

Was pretty sure rurik was something close to the blend you listed, always thought they did a keg or two of it two with the bottles that solan sold at knightly so figured a keg made it to huna day that year (I didn't go to that one).

As for ccbs ba beers, I think they are better than 95% of the adjunct messes that other breweries are putting out there. There is something to be said for the art of hops grain and barrel that seems to be going by the wayside to whatever sugar coated adjunct they can throw into the beer these days

Gsteele292, 305BEER and Lapalou like this.
  32. J455K

Trader

Do the breweries extend their hours during the week or do they follow their normal hour schedule? Won't get to our hotel till 10pm on that Wed and was looking for somewhere to go that night but it looks like most places close at 10/11 on Wednesdays.

33. shand

shand Meyvn (1,378) Jul 13, 2010 Florida

Not usually. The World of Beer near TPA might be your best option, I believe they're open until 1 almost every night to cater to travelers. A little pricy and not the best selection, but it'll work. SOHO WOB is open late too if you're in that area, but their draft selection is usually worse than the TPA location.

J455K likes this.
  34. bgrzywa2

bgrzywa2 Initiate (129) Nov 8, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

Cycle is open till midnight if that helps

J455K likes this.
  35. MHorridge

MHorridge Devotee (481) May 16, 2010 Florida
    Premium Trader

... and — fair warning — that’s generally a super-young (i.e., college and/or just out of college) crowd.

I presume you’re staying in Tampa. The “where in Tampa” matters but if you’re downtown or north, the Mermaid Tavern is open late (until 0300) and usually has a very respectable tap list that I bet gets even better during Tampa Bay Beer Week.

The Tampa Marriott Waterside’s sports bar is open kinda late. They’ve had a small, but really well-curated, tap list during TBBW the last couple of years.

36. J455K

Trader

Looks like I'm only a few miles from the Mermaid so that might be the destination of choice. Thanks!

MHorridge likes this.
  37. Bfairhurst74

Trader

I would stay away from anything in SOHO, it generally sucks.

38. Blazer06

Blazer06 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2008 Florida

7venth Sun is next door and open until 11, so if you were looking to do a brewery then you could probably try a couple things before last call and then head next door to mermaid for more beers and late night snacks.

J455K likes this.
  39. shand

shand Meyvn (1,378) Jul 13, 2010 Florida

Had no idea Mermaid stayed open that late every night, that'd be my choice for sure.

40. Slapchop07

Slapchop07 Initiate (34) Feb 14, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

This is my first year. Super stoked. Are the snifters that come with the wristbands picked up with the bottles or at the event?