Dismiss Notice
We're bringing our Belgian Beer Fest back to Boston June 22nd & 23rd!

Learn More

Hunapocolypse 2014

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by Skrypt, Mar 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cfahooligan

Cfahooligan Events Director (583) Mar 19, 2001 California

I mentioned in another post that they are not the same. Festivals vs releases. But I was expressing experience in not knowing what to do at first to getting a grip on things. It took a long time. Still the point remains the same. I have never seen anything like this at any event.

Edit: I went back and looked I guess I didn't differentiate. Yes, I am aware they are different events. My point about inexperience can still be attributed. It was hell in the early days. We were sloppy at first. And every day we learn something. But yes a release is different from a fest.
    #161 Cfahooligan, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  2. damienblack

damienblack Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

And you put the two together, you better have your shit together.
    brystmar likes this.
  3. prdstmnky

prdstmnky Zealot (501) Jan 8, 2010 Vermont

I just dont buy into the inexperience thing - its was a shit storm last year, and pretty bad the year before. Did they think there would be less interest? Did they think having a bottle release AND festival, for 3500+ people would make it less chaotic? That isn't learning from experience, that is being ignorant.
    brystmar likes this.
  4. Cfahooligan

I also didn't say it wasn't the event planning's fault. I just think there should be some responsibility for those who can't act like human beings no matter how frustrating the situation is. I know everyone is angry. it's a crazy event that ended badly. But still at what point are the people throwing fists responsible? If that was indeed the case.
  5. Cfahooligan

You're probably right. I was just more interested initially in the people fighting. Not making excuses for the event. I wanted to know more about those situations.
  6. FrankenMiller

FrankenMiller Initiate (130) Mar 5, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

I was in the front third of the mass/line waiting to buy Huna bottles. I did not see any actual fights. Heard some yellin and some F you's.

One mountain of man probably 6'8 and built well was pushing his way down the pouring tables at 110 ish to get all the special beers and one tiny chick told him off.

No knives, no guns. Im not even sure the story about the guy that threw a punch getting thrown to the grown and kicked really happend.

there was no Riot, the videos that have been posted (can you still do that here?) show the extent of the riot. Lots of boos, banging on the roll down doors by about 15 people and the TPD coming out acting like the normal Dicks they are. No one threw bombers or anyting like that. Its all exagerated. Some employees were clearly stressed and yelling at people to get out of the tasting room. (but free beer and a decent crowd the next day made up for it.)

Did it suck yes, were the lines insane at about 3 yes. I drank a ton of good beer from the homebrew tents.

Sucks they are canceling it. But oh well.
    #166 FrankenMiller, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  7. HopsJunkiedotcom

HopsJunkiedotcom Initiate (0) Dec 24, 2010 Florida

I wasn't directing my comments at you. The link seems to be working for me. Hmm.
  8. Cfahooligan

9. OPJohn

OPJohn Initiate (0) Oct 5, 2013 Florida

I didn't see anyone throw down. Nobody came to blows that I saw but there were plenty of words exchanged and some pushing/jostling/shoving/jockeying for position in the tap lines for some of the rare beers and similar behavior in the bottle line as we were leaving at 4:00 pm.

I had to keep yelling things like "Hot coffee, hot jambalaya coming through. Don't get burned" when I was wedging my Wife and I through the crowd towards the front. Once we got past the bottle line, it thinned out and was fairly smooth sailing. The worst I saw was people yelling and bitching at each other.

I was disappointed that they didn't have more volunteer and event staff on hand to manage the lines and the bottle sales. I also don't know who to believe on that 3,500 number. Why bill an event with a supposed 3,500 cap only to circumvent yourself and start waiving people inside because you "just don't want to deal with it."

Oh well. What's done is done. Sad that it'll be used as fodder by the Florida Beer Wholesaler's Assn in favor of Bill 1329. I'll use my ticket refunds to brew up a batch of Hunahpu for myself and not worry about the Hunapology beer.
    brystmar, damienblack and concealed like this.
  10. cirtap

cirtap Aspirant (224) Jan 27, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

There was definitely a fight a few people in front of us around 3:30 in the bottle sales line. Someone fell over from being hit or pushed and landed in a pile of chairs and some other folks stepped in after that.
  11. FrankenMiller

FrankenMiller Initiate (130) Mar 5, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

That was right in front of me, Some dumbasses left there chairs in the middle of the lines. After the guy fell over them he got up and suddenly I have a chair and an umbrella in my face to pass to the back of the line.
  12. philhyde

philhyde Initiate (155) Jul 22, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

The original link is working fine for me.

Interesting comment by Toppling Goliath owner Clark Lewey. “We knew we had a lot of fans in Florida but I couldn't believe how many.’’ I guess he didn't realize that droves of people from all over the US flew in for the event?
  13. jivex5k

jivex5k Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2011 Florida

The link was down for a bit, then it came back. Not sure if they did some ninja edit or something.
  14. Kt_USF

Kt_USF Initiate (147) Jul 8, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

"i attended hunapocalypse 2014 and all i got was this stupid shirt" are now for sale on ccb's online store
  15. jeg518

jeg518 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

Ccb needs to accept that this is mostly their fault, but, some of the fault has to fall upon us, the beer geeks. Plain and simple. We all had some part, big or small, in the hunapocolypse.
    lymph and Cfahooligan like this.
  16. thirstygator

thirstygator Initiate (178) Mar 29, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

There were at least two fights, with one common party in both of them (reportedly). My buddies saw the first and then we all saw the second. Many of the "dumbasses" who left chairs in the "middle of the lines" actually sat in those spots the entire day until rogue lines started to form from the main pick-up line and swallowed them up.
    defaultroute and nihiloexnihil like this.
  17. TheDoak

TheDoak Aspirant (215) May 6, 2013 Florida

I saw a fight. Some guy punched another because he thought people were trying to skip him.

The guy ended up getting thrown on the ground and punched a few times himself.
  18. gjoker321

gjoker321 Disciple (357) Dec 26, 2007 Florida
    Beer Trader

There was talk on this, or the other huna thread, either the night of, or early the next morning, of bringing weapons to defend yourself (from what I believe was a person not even from this state) but he was quickly shot down by level-headed people. As for the fight I too unfortunately witnessed from a distance a group of people 'wrestling', or at least 'violently, aggressively hugging' in the Huna bottle line right around 2:30. (pardon my grammar, still recovering from post Hund day celebrations).
  19. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Aspirant (217) Feb 20, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

I hope the time they save trying to organize this event can go into brewing more Huna so I can get one off a shelf in Pensacola... Would love to try it one day.
  20. BeerandLoathing

BeerandLoathing Aspirant (222) Jan 28, 2011 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Like I said, that's my own personal opinion. I spent a week hanging around the Portland beer scene and it's way more relaxed. The liquor scene too. There's an attention to detail in everything you consume whether it's food or drink. Here, it seems people just drink to forget. Instead of drinking to taste what they're drinking. It's absolutely off topic though.

Anyway, RIP Hunahpu Day. :slight_frown:
  21. mondegreen

mondegreen Devotee (423) Nov 4, 2009 Georgia

For those of us who got in early (I got there 10:20-ish), the event was FANTASTIC until about 1:15. Once the crowd that was wrapped around the block got in, things got so crowded we could not move, and all of the lines got out of control.

The biggest contributing factor to the ultimate failure at the end of the day was the number of people who were let in. The cap needed to be at 3500. I absolutely do not believe that 5000+ people used fraudulent tickets to gain entry to the event. I think CCB bit off more than they could chew thinking they could handle a larger crowd. IMO, they wanted to make as many people happy as possible by letting them participate in Huna Day, but in the end they could not accommodate everyone who wanted to be there.
    OPJohn likes this.
  22. jdubs813

jdubs813 Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2013 Florida

One would have to think that the city of Tampa had more to do with canceling future events rather than it just being a knee-jerk reaction by Joey.
  23. outsidah

outsidah Initiate (48) Feb 6, 2011 Florida

I'm thinking this might be closer to the truth but with the knee jerk reactions they've had this weekend who knows.
  24. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Devotee (456) Sep 13, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

Ladies and Gentleman. Do Not feed the trolls.
    HopsJunkiedotcom and VncentLIFE like this.
  25. flag8r

flag8r Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2009 Florida

I'm not sure 3,500 people in that small parking lot was ever a good idea. My advice is to stop with the special releases and just have a normal beer festival. Perhaps even a couple a year.
  26. jivex5k

jivex5k Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2011 Florida

I'd say the only way to have it work is with a very strict ticketing system, a dedicated staff, roped off lines, and a limit of 2000 people.
    Don't offer huna by the case either, distro that shit. Nobody needs a whole case.
  27. shand

shand Meyvn (1,423) Jul 13, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

Release a third of the bottles via Catador, put a bit in distribution for Tampa, and send the other half throughout the state. Just hold a festival at the brewery, no bottle sales, around 3k cap. That'd be a beautiful event.
  28. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Meyvn (1,417) Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I thought it was dont feed the trolls after 9.
    Heatwave33 likes this.
  29. Brew_Bro

Brew_Bro Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2014 Florida

The last one had a 3k cap too...
  30. shand

shand Meyvn (1,423) Jul 13, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

A hard 3k cap. Paper tickets. Fuck an Eventbrite. All hard tickets, if you're out of town you need a "trustee" just like you had for your bottles. The last one had a 3.5k theoretical cap, but by all accounts there was at least 6k on property if not more.
  31. hoppy99

hoppy99 Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2009 Florida

I would much rather attend several smaller, low key events throughout the year.
    Lare453 likes this.
  32. RayUF07

RayUF07 Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2012 Florida

Maybe we'll get lucky and Hunahpu's Day will be dead as we knew it in its past format, but a newer version will be born where we can all enjoy it in the spirit of its original intent.

One can dream...
  33. LiquidDegenerate

LiquidDegenerate Aspirant (225) Nov 22, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

Really hate the fact that Huna Day has been cancelled but I would absolutely shocked if the City of Tampa would allow it to happen again. However I can get behind any efforts to try and save this event, as well as make it better.
    manaox2 and Heatwave33 like this.
  34. CoastieSimon

CoastieSimon Initiate (176) Nov 3, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

Unless they hire some professionals it will never,ever, get better. Joe knows it will just get more hyped every year, and obviously does not want to pay for a event planner, so he decided to cut it. I love Cigar City beers (Tocabaga FTW!) and will continue to buy there product but event planning is not there forte so they said "Fuck it".
  35. dman127

dman127 Initiate (121) Jul 11, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

An outside perspective. I did not attend Huna Day, but read a lot about it. Feel bad for CCB as I do not believe they wanted it to turn out the way it did. Feel WORSE for those that did not get what was gauranteed them. That is inexcusable and while the refunds and free beer are a step in the right direction, they need to explain why it went wrong and what they can do to fix it.
    I was at DLD last year. First time at a mega-release. Was prepared for the worst, yet I was very happy with the way FFF ran it. From what I can tell, they used an event organizer. Plenty of staff, Added extra space. Needed ID to get in with your ticket. Bottle share was great and though the line to get your DL took a while, we had fun in line. It helped that the weather was great (not a sure thing late April in the midwest). If CCB enacted these procedures, the massive mess that was Huna Day would not have happened. All of these things are simple to set up. Short of the city telling them no more, I don't know why CCB would not consult with FFF and others and make Huna Day a well organized and fun event for years to come.
    Good luck South Atlantic BA's
  36. mondegreen

mondegreen Devotee (423) Nov 4, 2009 Georgia

A few pics of the crowd for those who weren't there. These pictures were taken at 1:00, right as the limited kegs were being tapped. What you can't see is the line of people still stretching down the street to get in.

This is toward the back of the lot facing the entrance. It's hard to see where the bottle lines are, but if you see the black CCB tent in the distance, the bottle sales were happening at the second warehouse just beside that tent. EDIT: The taller warehouse with the slanted roof at the edge of the picture.

The crowd toward the back corner of the brewery. This was the area used for carnival games in 2012. There are quite a few chairs set up in the middle of that crowd that are sort of hard to see.

This is the very back of the parking lot. If you looked any further right, you'd see the port-a-potty area.

Everything was going pretty smoothly until right around the time these pictures were taken. Shortly after this, the crowd became overbearing, and when it got to be crunch time for the bottles, things got ugly.
    bryanole27 likes this.
  37. Brew_Bro

Brew_Bro Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2014 Florida

Yes, because Hunahpu should be relegated to a barrel aged bottle club only even though it's not even BA. You guys wonder where the entitlement arguments come from? Here is proof enough.
    shuajw likes this.
  38. vande

vande Champion (824) Jan 26, 2007 Illinois

I'm thinking people are already setting up tents for KBS...even though its a 5 day - get a ticket to buy 2 4 packs - type of holiday weekend, in which you're only allowed to get one ticket to come in....I may even smell marshmellows roasting already... Guessing it's going to take a first born, or at the very least a set of Irish twins to land a bottle of Huna, eh? Too bad..I'll have to keep this on my bucket list for a while longer...
  39. RayUF07

RayUF07 Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2012 Florida

Well, I think the one mystery all these Hunahpu's threads and complaints solved is what new user name Kudos is posting under now since his old moniker was banned. So that's good.
    HopsJunkiedotcom likes this.
  40. CerealKillerKP

CerealKillerKP Initiate (0) May 24, 2009 Kentucky

No more Hunapu day. Sorry Floridians but this is why we can't have nice things.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.