News Hydrating Beer from Austrailia

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by hydroplaner, Aug 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hydroplaner

hydroplaner Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2012 Kentucky

2. Scrapss

Scrapss Defender (603) Nov 15, 2008 Pennsylvania

I am at a loss for words. No. Wait. I found one.

Pointless? Have a water!?!?!

3. Darwin553

Darwin553 Initiate (67) Jan 5, 2009 Australia

Only in Australia :grinning:

4. SerialTicker

SerialTicker Poo-Bah (1,760) Jun 18, 2012 Michigan

"By adding electrolytes, an ingredient commonly found in sports drinks, and reducing the alcohol content researchers found that beer could become even more refreshing."

...and therefore pointless to drink.

kwakwhore likes this.
  5. fritts211

fritts211 Aspirant (210) Feb 19, 2011 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

If we're coming closer and closer to hangover free alcohol, I'm happy.

Science fiction? For now maybe. But don't stop believing.

victory4me and mverity like this.
  6. SerialTicker

I've never been hungover (COOL STORY, BRO). One time I experimented by drinking pretty much as much alcohol as I could and puked everywhere (no more liquor for me!), but never hungover.

All you have to do is drink water while drinking, or after. All a hangover is is dehydration.

jRocco2021 and kwakwhore like this.
  7. hydroplaner

hydroplaner Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2012 Kentucky

I, myself, am not sure I would even want to try it.

kwakwhore likes this.
  8. leedorham

leedorham Defender (698) Apr 27, 2006 Washington

I've often wondered what the threshold is where beer ceases to dehydrate you. These studies would indicate it also depends on the mineral content of the beer too, but there's gotta be some point with the abv where you would maintain homeostasis.

jRocco2021 and Chaz like this.
  9. Chaz

Chaz Poo-Bah (1,582) Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Studies -and still more studies- have come out throughout recent years suggesting that beer may be better, but there never seems to be ironclad proof that it actually -is- better.

Congrats to the Aussies for giving it the old college try and at least coming up with some clever marketing and talking points along the way to your local Packie. :wink:

10. texasdrugaddict

texasdrugaddict Initiate (0) Oct 11, 2012 New Mexico

This is gonna make Pub Crawls awesome and longer. Time for a 24 mile Pub Crawl in CO.

Taylor made for the Beer run races.
    http://racethebar.com/

Hdredfern likes this.
  11. Darwin553

Darwin553 Initiate (67) Jan 5, 2009 Australia

So if I match the amount of beer I've had with water, I should be right the next day? Awesome :wink:

12. Andrew041180

Andrew041180 Crusader (700) Mar 15, 2013 Massachusetts

I've tried this. Rumors of my demise were only mildly exaggerated.

13. dhannes

dhannes Devotee (493) Feb 14, 2010 Wisconsin

Researchers in Australia have added electrolytes to beer, producing three new benefits:

1) Lower dehydration
    2) Lower alcohol...good for those that want to drink a few pitchers after softball, etc....
    3) Apparently greatly reduced hangovers

While this will not affect craft brewers directly, my guess is that ABInv and MillerCoors will have this out by next summer...which will take up even more floor and shelf space and or taps.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...rehydrating-beer/story-fn3dxiwe-1226698506887

Will you try one of these? Do you think any craft brewers will try to enter this segment?

14. pitweasel

pitweasel Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2007 New York

This won't change anything. Lower ABV has two outcomes.

1) You drink to reach the same level of intoxication you'd normally seek: you have to drink almost twice as much. And since this reduces the likelihood of a hangover by 1/3...you're still going to end up hungover.

2) You'll drink the same NUMBER of beers, but since it's a lower ABV, you obviously won't be as likely to get a hangover.

A laughable non-story.

15. itsjustzach

itsjustzach Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2006 Ohio

"And while the researchers don't recommend drinking beer after exercise, the study showed the altered light beer was a third more effective at hydrating a person than normal beer."

That's some cherry picking data to prove preconceived results if I've ever seen it.

blivingston1985 likes this.
  16. GreenCoffee

GreenCoffee Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2012 Illinois

Will the beer be made by Brawndo? It has electrolytes.

17. Northlax3

Northlax3 Initiate (85) Aug 19, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

The AAL industry is going to change, but not in that area.

Prices are going up.

18. masshlx

masshlx Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2003 Massachusetts

19. Herky21

Herky21 Crusader (711) Aug 7, 2011 Iowa
    Beer Trader

CUE: Bud Light with Electrolytes - now even more watery for your health.

20. AnchorBaby

AnchorBaby Initiate (0) Oct 12, 2010 California

I'm not sure if you are serious but this is not true. A hangover is alcohol poisoning. Dehydration is just one of the symptoms. From Wikipedia:
    Within the limited amount of serious study on the subject, there is debate about whether a hangover may be prevented or at least mitigated; additionally, there is a vast body of folk medicine and simple quackery. There is currently no empirically proven mechanism for prevention except reducing the amount of ethanol consumed, or for making oneself sober other than waiting for the body to metabolize ingested alcohol, which occurs via oxidation through the liver before alcohol leaves the body. A four-page literature review in the British Medical Journal concludes: "No compelling evidence exists to suggest that any conventional or complementary intervention is effective for preventing or treating alcohol hangover. The most effective way to avoid the symptoms of alcohol induced hangover is to avoid drinking."[23]

21. 1fJef

1fJef Initiate (0) May 4, 2013 Maryland

Thats why I drink Milwaukee's Best Light!

22. SerialTicker

I've been fine and I drink water before/after drinking, so. Sucks for people it doesn't work for, I guess.

23. AnchorBaby

AnchorBaby Initiate (0) Oct 12, 2010 California

Fortunately, you are probably not drinking to the excess that some people (not me, of course) do. I think drinking water before, during, and after, is a good thing. If that's all you need to do, cheers.

24. SerialTicker

Five drinks in a sitting is about my max. A sitting being an hour and a half... average ABV being about 6 or 7. I do that pretty rarely though.

25. frazbri

frazbri Crusader (733) Oct 29, 2003 Ohio

26. stephenherbertmartin

stephenherbertmartin Initiate (139) Jun 27, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

Oh man. Just waiting for the wild and zany ads during the Superbowl for BudLectroLight (soon to be followed up by BudLectroLight Platinum).

27. Hanglow

Hanglow Defender (637) Feb 18, 2012 United Kingdom (Scotland)

2.3%? I've found about 3.2% is the threshold for beer that can taste good, I've yet to taste one of the sub 2.8% beers here that tastes good .

Not to say that can't happen, I'm sure a kvass or similar can be perfectly pleasant.

28. marquis

marquis Crusader (715) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

This is simply what session beers are all about. Under 4% ABV the water component is enough to counteract the dehydrating effect of the alcohol (but not of course the alcohol poisoning) , a fact which makes the redefinition of the term somewhat pointless and silly.

29. DagenhamDavis

DagenhamDavis Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2013 New York

This is going to make the mighty Foster's Lager even better!

30. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Defender (611) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

As Marquis mentions in a post above, 4% is the cut-off. There were studies referenced in an article in Scientific American a number of years ago that determined this was the tipping point. I used to have the article, but it's since been deleted in my inbox. If/when I find it again I'll be sure to post it.

31. mulder1010

mulder1010 Meyvn (1,019) Aug 29, 2008 Australia

What's Fosters Lager???? Do not even get Fosters down here

32. BlowstotheBody

BlowstotheBody Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2012 Florida

Fosters is Australian for "beer"

33. mulder1010

mulder1010 Meyvn (1,019) Aug 29, 2008 Australia

also Australian for export

34. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,221) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

No need to export it to the US, MillerCoors brews it "Down under" ---
    [​IMG]
    ---- the Mason-Dixon line in GA and TX, dba "Oil Can Breweries".

35. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (596) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

[​IMG]
    I'll hydrate w/these...

mulder1010 likes this.
  36. mpalestino

mpalestino Initiate (0) May 28, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

37. rgordon

rgordon Defender (684) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

It's some Canadian crap in a big blue can, mate!

38. rgordon

rgordon Defender (684) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Wow, didn't know about the Old South connection. Texas and Georgia are down under.

39. sajaffe1

sajaffe1 Aspirant (274) Feb 16, 2013 Utah

Adding electrolytes to beer gets the alcohol into your system faster, thereby making you drunk faster. That's why people pre-game with vodka mixed with Gatorade (at least from my experience).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.