"I hate beer."

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Iluvink, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Iluvink

Iluvink Initiate (125) Aug 21, 2008 Texas

Personally, I cringed when I hear these words...I have convinced a few folks that not all beers/ales are alike. Still, the big American big boys have given beer a slanted name...

Have you been able to turn anyone form this statement? I did a couple of times, with some good mild white ales and/or kolsh styles.

2. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (235) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

Start then off with something like blue moon. If that is too much flavor for them than they will never like beer with flavor.

3. TonyTones13

TonyTones13 Initiate (45) Jun 7, 2017 Washington
    Trader

I have had a lot of success taking people who like wine or ciders and turning them on to fruited sours and wild ales.

4. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,947) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

Light beer, if they won't drink that then they really dislike beer.

bubseymour and Shanex like this.
  5. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (1,680) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois

I have never liked light beer. It took me about 28 years on earth, but I discovered eventually that I DO like beer. In fact, I love beer. I just hate light beer.

In fact, light beer put me off actually trying the beer styles I like by about a decade.

Beer_Economicus, Psilo, Curry and 6 others like this.
  6. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,325) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

If one must try to convince another, start by asking questions. Ask what flavors they like, in general, in particular, and what they are in the mood for at the moment. Then, and, this is the important part, listen to their answer. Don't try to push your preferences on them, listen closely, and let them show you where to take them.

Beer has so many potential flavors, and combinations, it's going to be difficult to find a beer an open minded flavor explorer won't like. It happens, so don't get pushy, but it's rare that a wee bit of effort can't find a beer that makes some folks go "What? That's beer?".

7. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,570) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

A nice local Helles/Bavarian Lager would be a good start. Sometimes cheap beer just tastes cheap, and a rich beer that's nicely balanced, not over hopped or overly carbonated might do the trick.

8. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Initiate (44) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Trader

I wouldn't say dislike, but will generally reach for whiskey before one.

Squire, BeerseAnyone and jakecattleco like this.
  9. ShawnoftheD3ad

ShawnoftheD3ad Initiate (130) Mar 20, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Fine. I’ll admit it. The Citra Hop was my gateway into craft beer.
    I have gotten a lot of my friends to come on board with a all Citra hopped beer. Now, their a bunch of hypes lol

10. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,398) Sep 15, 2014 New York

This thread title is misleading. :stuck_out_tongue:

RobNewton, Bunuelian, Lahey and 6 others like this.
  11. Livyatan1996

Livyatan1996 Aspirant (257) Sep 29, 2017 Missouri

Done this before, worked even with something as easy to find as DFHs SeaQuench.
    there's a beer for us all

12. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,450) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

My go-to when I hear this is to get them a pour or bottle of Crane's Tea Weiss. Converted a lot of 'wine only' drinkers with that beer.

Beer_Economicus and Dan411 like this.
  13. jmasher85

jmasher85 Zealot (559) Mar 27, 2015 Maryland
    Trader

Light beer tastes like a watered down piss spritzer. I find that only having tried light beer or macro junk is the reason people don't like beer.

As a beer merchant who is regularly asked for recommendations, including from people who "don't like beer," I will say with confidence that there's a beer for almost everyone. I've had people come in wanting me to help them find a beer they can enjoy and I send them home with a sampler 6-pack of quality, flavorful beers: usually a lager, IPA, wheat, Belgian, porter, and sour or fruited beer and tell them I'll refund them for whatever they don't like. They almost always come back later and tell me that they found a winner in the bunch.

14. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Crusader (780) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

My immediate response would be, "Why should I care? Drink something else, then, dumbass."

15. Celtics76

Celtics76 Defender (649) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

I got my start on Boston Lager and Blue Moon. I generally will suggest this to newbies. If they don't like, I don't care to press further.

Balareon, Lahey, beergoot and 2 others like this.
  16. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

Here's my issue with the OP's statement. "I hate beer" isn't a very inviting statement. I guess some people take it as a challenge, but "some people" doesn't include me. I'm not at the pub to save people from bland macros. I'm just there to drink and enjoy myself. Now if a person walked up and inquired about what I was drinking and wanted to have a conversation about it, I'm game. Just don't start out said conversation with a lazy, uninformed statement.

jimmyfishkin, Lahey, Gajo74 and 3 others like this.
  17. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,416) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Convince them to like NEIPA so we can make the lines longer at the breweries that do them well.

18. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,646) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Premium

Then have a sour

19. 5thOhio

5thOhio Devotee (481) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

I have never felt the compulsion to convince people to like the things I enjoy.

20. Crim122

Crim122 Aspirant (221) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

This was my fiance when I met her five years ago. She only drank syrupy sweet ciders and sparkling moscato. It took some work but now she only drinks incredibly dry ciders, sours and Russian Imperial Stouts.

21. Claude-Irishman

Claude-Irishman Aspirant (283) Jun 4, 2015 New Jersey

I gave a can of D.F.H. Lua luao? Not totally sure of the name. It is a IPA made with coconut water, and had roasted coconut taste.This woman was a NON beer drinker. I left it in her fridge and after 4 months she drank it and loved it.

Lahey likes this.
  22. eLMsITYbUM

eLMsITYbUM Initiate (86) Oct 24, 2007 New Hampshire
    Trader

At this point, I don't even try to convert(beer "haters") any longer. Also, I find that many people that grew up on AAL are more willing to try something new and many are finding craft beers that they enjoy. I think the movement towards cans has helped this along. I was at a gathering this weekend with a friend's dad who likes Miller Lite. He showed up with a small cooler with assorted 16 oz cans of MASS craft brews. He was telling everyone how great they were and he is right!

23. rgordon

rgordon Champion (837) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Clickworthy.

24. rgordon

Tripel Karmeleit has always worked for me.

Shroud0fdoom and Balareon like this.
  25. HeavyDandtheGirls

HeavyDandtheGirls Initiate (196) Mar 7, 2014 Massachusetts

Why bother trying to convince them to like beer?

26. Ranbot

Ranbot Zealot (531) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

I was once a beer-evangelist, and I am over it. Pushing "better" beers on people who don't care is only slightly more welcome than Mormons at their doorstep, and only because Mormons don't offer drinks.

Right. Read the room. Forcing a conversation on someone about your niche interest is going to be annoying and probably pretentious. That person might also be the sort that likes to push buttons, so don't give them the satisfaction. Just say something like "different strokes for different folks" and move on to another topic.
    That's different. That's an invitation for a common interest. Even then, you have to be careful not to monopolize the conversation. Of course you probably have more information on the subject of beer than them, but they want a discussion, not a lecture.
    ^^ This x1000. Listen and respond to them. You SHOULD have the knowledge and depth of experience with beer to respond intelligently to what they say. If you're just waiting to tell them about your favorite beers/styles then you're failing.

27. Shanex

Shanex Champion (819) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Trader

Not much you can do about it assuming they don't like any low-ABV yellow beer. Taste varies a lot and different strokes... etc.

I really hate seafood, tries mussels once and never got the palate for it...

Someone who likes cider and dislike beer would puzzle me a bit though.

Squire likes this.
  28. TheUnfilteredGentlemen

TheUnfilteredGentlemen Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2016 California

If it's someone with a sweet tooth, you could start them on a real sweet, chocolatey stout.

29. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,228) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado

Depends on why they hate beer. I might try and correct some misconceptions, but that's as far as I'm going if they don't like the idea of beer.

Balareon, Lahey, Squire and 1 other person like this.
  30. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,055) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

Good. All the more for me. :wink:

jimmyfishkin and Squire like this.
  31. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,416) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Me too, unless I need a ride :grin:

laketang, Lahey and Squire like this.
  32. Gajo74

Gajo74 Poo-Bah (1,608) Sep 14, 2014 New York

But if you convince them to like beer then they’ll be as drunk as you and then won’t be able to give you a ride :wink:

cavedave likes this.
  33. JoePasko

JoePasko Initiate (76) Mar 10, 2018 New York

What I hear much more often is "I don't like the hoppy stuff".

thesherrybomber likes this.
  34. Uniobrew31

Uniobrew31 Zealot (503) Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

My wife is one of the "I hat beer" people. For years I tried to get her to like it but then I began to see the advantage to being the only one on the house who likes beer. I could leave on business for two weeks knowing full well that when I return my beer will be untouched and that is fine by me.

35. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,947) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

Helping with a selection and offering a refund is a commendable attitude which I wish other merchants would adopt. I do make a distinction between those who ask my thoughts and those who say they don't like beer in which case it's none of my business to suggest they are mistaken.

jmasher85 and rgordon like this.
  36. Dan411

Dan411 Initiate (88) Mar 20, 2017 Missouri

My wife finally came back around to beer. Now she used to drink Coors Light, and the occasional Blue Moon, or New Castle. Last decade she has been almost exclusively a white wine drinker. About a month ago, I finally got her to try some Goses, Berliner Weisse, and some sours. I really do believe there are beer styles for those who enjoy alcoholic beverages, it just helps to understand what they find palatable about their current drink of choice.

Balareon, Lahey and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  37. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

Mine is, too. Never tried to "convert" her. As you said, it all but guarantees that the beer that is in the house will stay in the house until I choose to drink it.

38. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (315) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

My fiancée didn't drink any beer but coors when I met her. I got her drinking a hoppy golden ale and worked her into malty ipas. Now she enjoys most ipas. It was just a matter of having her try stuff that I think she'd like based on what she already drank and enjoyed. Then slowly working in more hops and higher abv along the way.

rgordon likes this.
  39. Tamarack

Tamarack Initiate (49) Sep 22, 2016 Massachusetts

40. rgordon

Thing is, one need not love hops to love beer. There are lots of beers across the spectrum of beer choices that are not sweet or overly hoppy. Oatmeal stouts are the perfect middle ground, and dryish brown ales, and I've always loved Cooper's Sparkling Ale. In this modern era hoppy to some connotes a road to quality. It is a narrow and crowded road.