I have a one-year old Tweak by Avery ... still enjoyable?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by wangweixun, Dec 5, 2018.

1. wangweixun

wangweixun Initiate (15) May 24, 2018 Washington

I have a bottle of Tweak by Avery that was bottled in Oct. 2017. I guess it is still drinkable but I wonder how the flavor is going to change. I heard the bourbon-ness will fade away. I had an old Dragon Milk before and it was totally a disaster.

2. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,587) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

Drink it and find out.

If you're near Bellingham, I'll bring a couple bottles over, and we can find out together.

Just drink it.

3. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (2,675) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Premium Trader

It holds up fine with aging. Drink and enjoy!

beertunes and elohim like this.
  4. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (386) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

Any dark beer that big should hold on for years. Coffee may fade, tastes may change, but not by much. Worse case scenario, the coffee tastes like green pepper. Hopefully that's not the case

Bitterbill, drunkenmess and elohim like this.
  5. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,884) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

At or north of 16%, that beer is ready to be enjoyed. Maybe a little too quick. A year on that alcohol content may have faded it a bit, while allowing the underlying stout to reside, or even grow. Be careful it doesn't slip down too quick.

If it's your first bottle of Tweak, feel free to consume on a Sunday and post your thoughts on the beer in the associated New Beer Sunday thread.

Cheers!

I'll fly in a couple bottles of Tweak if it means we finally get to enjoy a beer together.

6. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (1,902) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Premium Trader

I have had Tweak at a couple of years, and I still get an immense amount of coffee. This beer will not degrade over a year - but crack it and post a summary in the cellar reviews!

Bitterbill likes this.
  7. not2quick

not2quick Disciple (345) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

I plan on drinking a batch one next year when it hits it's 5yr birthday.

8. phroztbyt3

phroztbyt3 Initiate (52) Dec 10, 2015 Colorado

17% - you can sit on it basically as long as you like. I've had a 3-year and 2-year. 1-year will still be very strong but definitely sweeter than fresh :slight_smile: .

Bitterbill likes this.
  9. CoreyC

CoreyC Initiate (193) Mar 16, 2015 Wisconsin

I've had Tweaks older than this and it holds up just fine. It might lose a bit of coffee but it also mellows a bit of the heat and is smoother.

Bitterbill likes this.
  10. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,243) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

Tweak is best fresh imho. Will it still be enjoyable? Damn right. Will it be that bomb ass chocolate coffee explosion that is fresh tweak? Not for me.

Bitterbill likes this.