1. Introducing the Respect BeerĀ® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to add-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

I have found my Pliny Killer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by toofdoc, Nov 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morey

Morey Meyvn (1,083) Dec 30, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I think that when IPAs/DIPAs are done right, there's really quite a few of them that are on the same playing field. Just my opinion.

The thing that makes me prefer a Pliny over say.... a ST 2XIPA, is that the bitterness lingers and the flavor sticks with you longer. Some of these newer citrus forward IPAs... (2x, Perpetual, White Raja) just don't have enough lingering hop flavor. The aroma and initial hop-bite are there, but the finish is lacking. If that makes sense?

2. kneary13

kneary13 Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2010 Massachusetts

Kiwi Rising is a legit contender. Heady is tops, but i'd say Maine Beer 'Lunch' and Kiwi Rising are on it's heels. i've had Pliny once and think it's an incredible beer, but am a huge fan of the east coast IPAs!

MeowTom likes this.
  3. ShaunNewman

ShaunNewman Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Florida

Cigar City's Jai Alai is pretty damn good.

4. PWNtransplant

PWNtransplant Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2012 Ohio

Great Lakes Watershed: Lake Superior Brewing Company in Duluth and Lake Bluff Brewing north of Chicago.

5. DaveAnderson

DaveAnderson Devotee (490) Jan 11, 2011 Minnesota

Neither one of which makes a Pliny killer.

6. Schmittymack

Schmittymack Zealot (510) Sep 3, 2008 Colorado
    Trader

Guess I'm in the minority; I think that Pliny is a really good beer but to me, it's mostly hype. I'd rather have a Mercenary, Hop Slam, or Dry Dock DIPA that is much more readily available with a whole lot less hype.

7. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,026) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

I will gladly take a Hop Venom over Pliny any day of the week.

onemanarne likes this.
  8. rnorgart

rnorgart Initiate (149) Nov 16, 2005 South Carolina

I think pliney was maybe the best for me until I had double sunshine. Wow. And I would have to throw zombie dust in the conversation too.

9. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,325) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Don't kid yourself please. If Pliny was an average beer, it would never be mentioned, let alone compared to, many, many other beers.

10. fmccormi

fmccormi Meyvn (1,365) Oct 24, 2010 California

The beer that, for me, had the longest and most enjoyably hoppy finish I can think of is Palate Wrecker. Doesn't get the heaps of love that a lot of the other beers in this conversation get, and it's not my all-time favorite DIPA, but that may have the most memorable finish, for me.

Can't WAIT until it comes out again in January-ish :-)

11. williamjbauer

williamjbauer Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2012 Colorado

Pliny is a comfort dipa for me when I can get it. I think hopslam and heady topper are easily in the same league if not better overall when fresh.

MeowTom likes this.
  12. mikedeclercq

mikedeclercq Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2012 California

Pliney is fantastic... lot's of good IPA's out there pretty comparable. Look for the up-and-coming 831 IPA from Sante Adairius. Really good!

13. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Champion (833) Nov 11, 2011 Ohio
    Trader

After doing some trading for awhile now, Ive had the privilege of trying Pliny, HT, and several other great IPAs that are not available in Ohio. Fat Heads Head Hunter and The Brew Kettle's White Rajah (and local tap-only Black Rajah) are outstanding IPAs and since they are local and fresh, I opt for them because of their ready availability. I will still take extra HTs and such in trades, but with HH and WR here, Im not seeking out the "Plinys" of the world anymore.

cheers

14. Morey

Morey Meyvn (1,083) Dec 30, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Yeah, I have had it a couple of times, but unfortunately it wasn't very fresh either time.

15. fmccormi

fmccormi Meyvn (1,365) Oct 24, 2010 California

I wrote my review when it was pretty damn fresh, I think, and I thought it was pretty great then. I get the impression that the hopping was very late boil- and dry hop-focused, which would make sense given the idea behind the beer, and also since that seems to be true for any of these superhype hoppy pales.

16. Brunite

Brunite Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2009 Illinois

Love the objectivity maintained by this position.

Certainly and absolutely...and without question, I do. At least IMHO...I think?

17. grandmeaulnes

grandmeaulnes Initiate (0) Oct 18, 2010 Ohio

Glad you see the truth in the assertion. :slight_smile:

18. Brunite

Brunite Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2009 Illinois

Hard to miss...unless I forget to bring my "rose-colored my-way-or-the-highway" glasses!

19. borderican

borderican Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2011 California

I totally agree with you here! Aroma coma had me tasting Kern River Citra in some gulps(no bull)

hilgart1 likes this.
  20. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,512) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

It makes total sense if you look at the recipe for Pliny you see why, crazy dry hopping schedule, crazy boil schedule, lotta hop variety. Dry hop gets pulled, and more added in secondary. Stuff most brewers don't/won't do.

Lots of great beer all around, we're in heaven, man. Imagine Pliny now is just another great American hop masterpiece.

21. rodlavers

rodlavers Zealot (582) Jun 20, 2012 Maryland

I have had Pliny only once, it was about 6 weeks old (this was back in April), and I thought it was good, probably the best of its style I'd had at the time. Since then, and much more recently, I have gone through three cases of Head Hunter this fall and I have to say it is better than the Pliny I had. I may even like Head Hunter more than Heady Topper. For me, both HH and HT are superior to PtE.

22. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (869) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Flying Fish Exit 16, a wild rice DIPA

23. Dannywhitewash

Dannywhitewash Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2010 Ohio

Ruination 10th anniversary... That was my pliny killer! Its a shame that stone isn't brewing that anymore..

smo likes this.
  24. toofdoc

toofdoc Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2011 New Mexico

Drink more pliny, not a fair comparison...

25. toofdoc

toofdoc Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2011 New Mexico

I like you, are Jai Alai biased, but honestly its not in the same conversation as these other brews we are talking about here...

26. Pelican5

Pelican5 Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2012 California

ISO : Head Hunter

Love Pliny, Duet, Heady, Columbus and White Rajah. If HH is in this league prove it... BM me a lets set something up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.