If beer had no alcohol...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Das_Reh, Jan 5, 2015.

?

Would you still drink beer if it had no alcohol, but was the same in every other way?

1. Yes, and more frequently.

81 vote(s)
    23.9%
  2. Yes, I'd drink the same amount.

51 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. Yes, but less often.

128 vote(s)
    37.8%
  4. No, what's the point without alcohol?

79 vote(s)
    23.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reds76

Reds76 Disciple (363) Nov 3, 2014 Maine

Excellent question. I love good scotch, bourbon and wine but only occasionally. I get tired of all of them quick. I would probably blaze the chronic daily, like I did in college - and drink lots of water...

Beef_Curtains and Boverhof3 like this.
  2. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,326) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Don't be crazy. Rieslings pair so much better with baseball.

302BeerGuy likes this.
  3. Das_Reh

Das_Reh Disciple (325) Mar 25, 2013 Florida

I'm completely aware of that, this thread was just a hypothetical situation. I'm also aware that alcohol pours smiles on your brain and that is part of the allure. This was just to see what the general consensus of the community's opinions are.

#43 Das_Reh, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  4. Buschyfor3

Buschyfor3 Devotee (461) Jan 4, 2009 Kentucky

I'd probably drink more frequently, mostly because the lack of alcohol would likely mean fewer calories per 12oz serving, so I wouldn't feel as guilty about tipping back my favorite Imperial Stouts that clock in at 300+ calories per 12oz serving (nearly 600 for a bomber…)

tvoss99 likes this.
  5. gcamparone

gcamparone Poo-Bah (1,944) Dec 6, 2011 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Nope. I love the taste of beer but if it didn't have alcohol I'd probably teach myself to love and appreciate the taste of wine or bourbon or something

6. twb0392

twb0392 Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2014 Wisconsin

Yes; I'm into gourmet loose leaf tea, and i think it is similar. I like earthier tastes, and i think beer provides that more than most other drinks (such as pop).

7. ZebraCakez

ZebraCakez Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2014 Massachusetts

There would be less beer, though I'd probably still enjoy it to an extent.

There would be a lot more chocolate milk, juice, and coffee/tea.

8. MaximumYuks

MaximumYuks Devotee (430) Nov 30, 2013 Oregon

Yup, you put it far better than I did. I liked drinking before I discovered craft beer, but craft beer helped enhance/intellectualize the experience.

9. darkandhoppy

darkandhoppy Aspirant (267) Dec 26, 2008 Connecticut

tea hits your brain in the caffeine receptors. If tea didnt contain caffeine, noone would drink it

10. Das_Reh

Das_Reh Disciple (325) Mar 25, 2013 Florida

I would because I like the taste of tea. :I

11. RobinLee

RobinLee Zealot (581) Feb 15, 2012 Wisconsin

Yes, same for whisky. If it's exactly the same (alcohol burn and everything), I see no reason to stop. In fact, I'd probably drink more often.

darkandhoppy likes this.
  12. Crackerbarrel

Crackerbarrel Initiate (93) Feb 10, 2014 New York

I'd drink more; I love a good buzz, but nowadays that usually just ends in feeling sleepy/sluggish.

Speaking of which....anyone out there (who's 35 or older) still get a buzz that's comparable to that of their late teens/early 20's? I'd give an arm to have a buzz that makes me feel like taking on the world again instead of just taking on my couch.

MaximumYuks and Das_Reh like this.
  13. slangtruth

slangtruth Initiate (123) Jan 8, 2012 Kentucky

I'd drink more. I like the taste more than most other beverages (actually the only others I drink regularly are coffe, milk and water) and a lot of times at this point the alcohol really just gets in the way.

afterexile likes this.
  14. darkandhoppy

Science would say you'd pick coca cola instead, every time. Bitter is a warning. It says "be careful". Sweet flavors will defeat decaf tea (bitter) flavors every time. Sadly, as much as we want to argue we're not prisoners to our mortal coil, chemical pleasure drives us. It rules us. It just does.

15. zookerman182

zookerman182 Zealot (556) Oct 8, 2013 Alabama
    Trader

I drink to get the upscale, classy and safe buzz that only craft beer drinkers get.

Beef_Curtains and darkandhoppy like this.
  16. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Aspirant (243) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

Yes because I like the taste.

17. Boca-X

Boca-X Zealot (529) Jan 21, 2014 Missouri

I drink all kinds of liquids that don't have alcohol in them...coffee (reg & decaf), bottled water, tea (reg & decaf), sports drinks, coconut water, mineral water, milk, almond milk, fruit juice, diet cola, vitamin drinks...

It's not always about the buzz...any many time it's just about the taste, thirst quencher or craving at that moment...

Yes...if the beer tasted as good as it does now, without alcohol...I would still drink it, probably slightly less but not by much.

18. Mitchell57

Mitchell57 Initiate (160) Jan 8, 2013 Wisconsin

Yes, I drink for the taste most of the time. Hell, I would drink only great tasting beer if it didn't get me drunk either...goodbye water. Buzz is nice once and awhile, but far from a necessity

19. BoomKentucky

BoomKentucky Initiate (174) Mar 22, 2013 Kentucky
    Trader

Wouldn't be beer without alcohol. Maybe call it a soda? Beer = an alcoholic drink made from yeast-fermented malt flavored with hops

20. stosh66

stosh66 Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2013 Pennsylvania

I'd drink it about as much as I drink soda.. 1 or 2 a month- tops.

21. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (793) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

Why can't people (like me) actually simply like the taste of beer and honestly say that we wouldn't care whether or not it contained alcohol? I don't like to get drunk very often, nor do I even like to get a buzz going very often. I would much rather be able to drink beer without becoming even the slightest bit impaired. Now, of course, this is hypothetical since beer would not taste the same without alcohol, but if it could, I'd prefer it that way 90% of the time (meaning yes, sometimes I do enjoy the buzz/drunk). It's arrogant and presumptive that you feel you can be correct in saying that those like me are lying. What do I have to gain by lying to strangers on the Internet? It's genuinely how I feel, not "bullshit."

22. DeepBrew

DeepBrew Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2014 Texas

The way I see it, alcohol is the main limiting factor of how many beers, and how often I drink them (the other one is obviously price.) If I daydream about the alternate universe the OP invites us to imagine, where you could enjoy all day long the looks, smell, flavor, mouthfeel of what we love... I would sign up for this.

23. Mtj28

Mtj28 Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2014 Texas

Yes

24. Hophazzard

Hophazzard Aspirant (273) Aug 16, 2014 California

No I wouldn't. I'd switch back to Gin & Tonics during the week & bourbon, tequilla & vodka on the weekends.

25. John_Beeryman

John_Beeryman Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2014 Virginia

It wouldn't be beer.

26. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (10,552) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri

Good wine got me into good beer.

SteveB24 likes this.
  27. OldRickSputin

OldRickSputin Initiate (185) Jan 7, 2014 Illinois

I drink a lot more.

At work, with the kids, while,driving, etc....

28. darkandhoppy

I didnt mean to insult....it's not that you're lying, per se, but I wonder if youve underestimated the intoxicating power of alcohol. Noone likes to "get drunk". That's too far....but the brain is instantly turned on by even small amounts of alcohol. We humans think we're so smart, de-emphasizing our biology. Biology says your body enjoys the buzz 100% of the time.

29. Jsmick

Jsmick Initiate (185) Feb 20, 2013 New Hampshire

If alcohol is the majority of the reason that anyone's drinking craft beer, then why even bother to pay the money? There's cheaper crap that can do the job. I view it as a high form of culinary artistry, and alcohol is the last reason I drink it. The last time I got completely and utterly drunk was Extreme Beer Fest 2014, and that's only because I wanted to taste everything.

THANAT0PSIS likes this.
  30. spacecake9

spacecake9 Meyvn (1,050) Apr 26, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Or maybe I would spend more time with Port wines....

OldRickSputin likes this.
  31. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California

I'd drink less because I drink a beer sometimes to relax, wind down, and I also want my beer to taste good. If beer had no alcohol I would most likely skip it and have a some tequila or whiskey.

32. Beef_Curtains

Beef_Curtains Devotee (471) Oct 14, 2013 Ohio

I don't know if I ever would have gotten into beer if it wasn't for the alcohol, since initially that was the only reason I drank it

33. hopnado

hopnado Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

i think most BAs started out drinking shitty BMC in their teens and twenties before switching to craft. I think it's pretty safe to say we drank that stuff for the buzz. Now we have masterfully crafted brews that adequately give the buzz and appeal to our taste buds as well. Best of both worlds...what's the problem?

Beef_Curtains likes this.
  34. ChrisBanks

ChrisBanks Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2014 Texas

I would drink it every once in a while. I would probably drink it more with meals, as opposed to just drinking it freely.

35. tylerstravis

tylerstravis Meyvn (1,037) Feb 14, 2014 Colorado

I'd have coffee in the morning and beer in the afternoon at my desk.

OldRickSputin and spidermite like this.
  36. Tsar_Riga

Tsar_Riga Poo-Bah (2,183) Sep 9, 2013 Indiana

May seem odd to some, but alcohol is a major break on me drinking beer, not a driver. I like beer because it is tasty and interesting. I don't mind a mild buzz, but most of the time I am actually trying to avoid anything more serious. If beer without alcohol were otherwise identical, I'd be drinking more of it. Unfortunately, the only zero-percent beer out there tastes like the worst kind of adjunct lager, and I'd never drink beer if that were all that was out there.

In this scenario, calories would become my main break, I suspect, but that's another story.

OldRickSputin likes this.
  37. Jirin

Jirin Aspirant (227) Apr 28, 2013 Massachusetts

I'd definitely still drink some, since beer tastes really awesome, and without the alcohol it'd have practically no calories and basically be a really tasty health shake. But the alcohol definitely plays a part in the habitual aspect of drinking.

I'd probably drink the most of 'Synthenol' from Star Trek existed. Tastes like alcohol and gives you a buzz but doesn't make you drunk or have negative health effects.

38. mikepcarney

mikepcarney Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2009 Ohio

I like beer for the taste so it wouldn't bother me too much without it as long as it didn't lose any characteristics. If I just wanted to get drunk I'd slam some vodka.

39. Jsmick

Jsmick Initiate (185) Feb 20, 2013 New Hampshire

I was mentioning that if it was the majority of the reason that people were drinking craft beer was to get drunk, why even bother?

40. hopnado

hopnado Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

if the majority just wanted to get "drunk" they would drink cheap spirits or steel reserve type beers. That fact that buzz loving assholes like myself and have evolved to appreciate fine beer craftsmanship is the reason the craft industry has progressed to this point. Go start a non alcoholic craft brewery and see how long it lasts. Go check out some famous beer quotes from the greatest minds in history, I guarantee most of them would have never been spoken if the beers were alcohol-free. In proper doses, beer is medicine for the mind not just some gourmet beverage. Cheers!

#80 hopnado, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
    guinness77 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.