If you’re into older BA stuff

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Big_Steve23, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Big_Steve23

Big_Steve23 Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2014 California

stumbled upon www.craftbeershoppe.com while browsing the internet and they have some cool vintage BA stuff. Has anyone purchased from this site before?

2. fehrminator

fehrminator Disciple (371) Jan 26, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Interesting. They seem to suggest that they'll ship anywhere and that it's the responsibility of the buyer to comply with the state law where the beer will be shipped. Not sure that's going to hold up.

Bitterbill likes this.
  3. youradhere

youradhere Zealot (513) Feb 29, 2008 Washington
    Trader

Nice plug for your new Shopify site. I hope you have a license for shipping alcohol otherwise it is a felony to ship across state lines- for you.

Traders ship alcohol all the time on a one-off basis, taking the risk themselves, not sure if that is a business tactic to go off of. I think for beer you even need/required to go through a beverage distributor in the US, this is likely why places like the Bruery doesn’t ship outside CA for their membership club. Wineries are able to ship because of some stipulation that differentiates them from the regular US alcohol distribution model.

Be careful man, starting a busiensss isn’t something you just “do”, you’ve got to think out every angle ahead of time. I would imagine you will get a few sales and then quickly run into trouble trying to circumnavigate established beverage distro mafia- erm, excuse me, I meant to say “sound and completely fair” licensing monopolies for alcohol shipping/distribution . (Source: I’m a business consultant).

LuskusDelph likes this.
  4. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (3,840) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

I'm not sure a legit "shop" would be selling 2015 BCS. Definitely makes me wonder if the folks behind the site know what they're doing.

5. Big_Steve23

It’s not my mine. I contacted them and they said they have a shop in CA. I wanted something from them but have never purchased from there.

6. Big_Steve23

What’s wrong with 2015 BCS? There were some that were still good minus the barley wine/coffee.

7. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (3,840) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

"Good". I had three bottles outside of the infected dates, & all three were garbage. I've heard similar tales from others that live near me. And one would think if they were selling bottles where some were known to be infected, they'd let any potential sellers know which dates they have.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  8. Big_Steve23

I have seen 2015s in Ralph’s still LOL

9. youradhere

youradhere Zealot (513) Feb 29, 2008 Washington
    Trader

Sorry I deal with business/sales all day and that looked like a self-promotion plug :slight_smile:

I would say that if they can ship to you within CA then shop away. Anyone outside of CA I would recommend contact the shop over the phone to verify that they can ship to your state outside of CA.

That said, the site has a ‘15 Abyss up for sale which reminded me I have a ‘10 which is nearly 8 years old and needs drinking ASAP! :slight_smile:

Bitterbill likes this.
  10. Saudade

Saudade Initiate (38) Nov 25, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Im willing to buy something for science, to see if they will actually ship to the east coast. Ill report back with my findings

11. Saudade

Trader

Reporting back, I ordered a BCBS Northwoods and a 2015 BCBS , they showed up this morning. Packaged quite well, and it was even 2-day priority shipped so it made if for cali to PA in 2 days. So they are legit, buy something now if you want it before they shut it down haha

Rfro5, youradhere, maximum12 and 4 others like this.
  12. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,206) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

Really didn't see anything too special. I would love to see some deal with the devil pop up on a site like that.

Manchovies likes this.
  13. rypkr

rypkr Crusader (789) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Ballsy move with the 2017 bcbs...how's it taste?

14. Saudade

Trader

Not infected! So as good as can be

LuskusDelph and rypkr like this.
  15. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Disciple (373) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

Was it a non-infected date or just a non-infected bottle?

16. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (100) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

The temptation to finally try Sucaba was too much to resist. $34 including shipping to WI for 2 bottles. Will update you all when it arrives (or doesn't).

17. Saudade

Trader

It was a non-infected date

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  18. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (1,796) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Premium Trader

Interesting point about their shipping policy (from their site):

Shipping will be processed within 1-2 business days from order being placed and arrive between 1-3 business days depending on location. All products are shipped out of California. We are not responsible for any regulations outside of California, that is solely the responsibility of the consumer. Please check state laws before making any purchase. If purchasing multiple items, please contact us for an exact quote on shipping. Everything is packaged carefully to ensure safe arrival.

They are not responsible for shipping illegally to other states, apparently.

Bitterbill likes this.
  19. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Disciple (373) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

This was mentioned above. I think the general sentiment is that their policy is not legal. That is, if someone wanted to prosecute, that statement wouldn't hold water.

youradhere likes this.
  20. Number1Framer

Trader

Received a text message notification that it went out 4 days after ordering. Received a 2nd text this past Wednesday saying it was 'out for delivery and would arrive soon.' Received it yesterday followed by a final text telling me it was delivered. Packed well and all was as expected. Was getting worried for a minute, but it did show up and via regular USPS which seems risky.

LuskusDelph, Bitterbill and Dan411 like this.
  21. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,039) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium

There are some other online stores that have that statement in their shipping policy.

A few say that when you order and go to check out, that's when you learn if they can or cannot ship to your State.

22. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,039) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium

Did they charge you for an "adult signature required"? That would be a dead giveaway to the USPS.

23. Number1Framer

Trader

Nope, just left the box with the regular mail delivery. I've heard stories from people who've tried using USPS to ship New Glarus to friends outside of WI that arrived as boxes containing only empty 6 pack holders due to the federal alcohol shipping laws. Mind you these were not people like us who trade all the time, just regular joes who honestly didn't know so I cannot speak to the packing, labeling, etc for the ones that didn't make it.

I should also mention that my workplace has been having issues with deliveries as of late, so the day late arrival after the 'out for delivery' message may not be on anyone but the local mail who keeps fucking up or not delivering for whatever reason. Also had to get on the phone and twist a few arms after our UPS driver didn't deliver a package claiming our shop was closed at 11:20 am despite a non-stop parade of freight deliverys to the loading dock. Either these shipping company goons are getting lazy, or my beer trading has blacklisted our company's address. Lol.

Bitterbill and Beer_Economicus like this.