I'll take "Things that annoy" for $200

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by beaulabauve, Sep 10, 2019 at 5:17 AM.

1. beaulabauve

beaulabauve Disciple (328) Aug 5, 2011 Louisiana

What, if anything, do you find annoying about beer culture? For me, it's the notion put forth by some "alpha-dorks" that in order to be a true beer man, you have to drink, and love, the absolute most hoppiest-bitter beers. Of course, this is BS. Some of us love the exquisite balance some lagers put forth or the lip-smaking juiciness of a NEIPA. It's all personal preference and respecting the brewer's art.

2. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,343) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

You would be hard pressed to find any beer that is super bitter in 2019, most of the ones that were had their recipes changed.

Lust for the lip smacking juicness of a NEIPA would also disqualify one as a real beer lover.

If you respect lagers you respect beer.

3. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,228) Sep 24, 2007 Northern Mariana Islands
    Trader

The fact that there is a whole new generation of "beer" drinkers that expect what's in their glass matches what was in their juice box after their 7 year old soccer game.

Whose mom brings the orange slices today?

4. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Champion (860) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Society Trader

Any brewery that doesn’t date their cans/bottles. Let me decide when it’s best by, just tell me when you made it.

5. ElChuques

ElChuques Initiate (91) Oct 8, 2014 Arkansas

The entire front page of posts is basically people complaining about shit they find annoying about beer.

As a craft beer geek for the last 15 or so years, I find the so-called “real beer” drinkers’ disdain for innovation annoying. Nobody is making you drink NEIPAS or any other recently-popular beer. There are still plenty of old standards out there, so stop playing the self-righteous victim.

6. FatBoyGotSwagger

Brewing unfinished and flawed beer is not innovation. While it is not exnovation because they are different NEIPA is mostly flawed. There are good ones but only because of the hops secured. If those breweries had average hops their NEIPAs would be undrinkable.

7. ElChuques

“Mostly flawed” is a conclusion. Could you articulate how you reached that conclusion?

DanielAron, Bchlver and BuffaloBill12 like this.
  8. FatBoyGotSwagger

I do drink and enjoy a NEIPA from time to time.. but by flawed they are mostly poorly brewed. The haze you see is trub that was prematurely bottled it should of been let to settle. It is brewing 101.

9. ElChuques

I figured that’s what you’d say, and it’s not necessarily accurate. A huge factor in heavy dry hopping is the biotransformation of hop compounds during fermentation, specifically the hydrolysis of glycosides.

Would you consider hefeweizen flawed due to its yeast in suspension?

10. FatBoyGotSwagger

Hefeweizen no. Look I do not care how you justify the NEIPA age but as long as you realize what you are drinking is flawed(whether you like it or not) is enough for me.

And I get your whole biotransformation of hop compounds..I loved the old IPAs with a slight hop haze that people before me said were flawed. It's just gone too far with people drinking beer that is Uber messed up and they rate it as high as possible and think they have tasted the best there is. Looking down on regular IPAS when in reality those beers are better.

11. ElChuques

I never said anything about looking down on “regular” IPAs. I despise the hype culture surrounding the style as much as anyone, but “flawed” is a mischaracterization. One beer being better than another is as subjective as musical preference. One person can’t tell another what they should prefer; that’s unreasonable.

dxtxxii, pro100, Roguer and 13 others like this.
  12. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (910) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

This topic seems to come up under a different title once a month. Most of the answers are the same also. Mine always goes along this line. Too many brewers seem to be trying to brew beers that don't taste like beer at all.

13. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,661) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

"Things that annoy" threads

rckjr, VoxRationis, pro100 and 34 others like this.
  14. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (910) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

LOL excellent way to put it!

15. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,047) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw this thread title...again with the negative waves, Moriarty...

TheBrewsky, LarryV, bbtkd and 7 others like this.
  16. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,244) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

People making generalizations about "beer culture."

17. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (38) May 15, 2018 Virginia

If people weren't buying those beers, breweries wouldn't be brewing them or at least not many. Hard to blame a business for trying to make what their customers want.

That said, I'm not a fan of the beers/breweries you speak of. I don't want lactose/milk sugar in my IPAs and don't need 5 different adjuncts in my stout.

18. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (337) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Literally the first response is complaining about NEIPA, too.

19. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (1,901) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

Yep, this thread is going exactly as expected.

20. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (67) Mar 16, 2018 District of Columbia

I’ve moved beyond the idea of judging people based on their beer choice. I think you’ll find that the reality is that nobody really seems to mind if you went for a lager or Weißbier instead of an IPA, especially as long as everyone is enjoying a good time together.

I know that IPA isn’t my preferred style, I know the market is overwhelmed with it at the possible expense to styles I do enjoy, but I still think there’s more than enough beer in the world that I do enjoy even still. And that’s fine by me!

21. ScaryEd

What even is subjectivity?

Bchlver and Amendm like this.
  22. Scrapss

Scrapss Champion (885) Nov 15, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Just whoring through...I'll chime in with my "trite yet expected" usual response:

Drink what you like, vote with your wallet.

Clever metaphysical professor says what? :stuck_out_tongue:

Benighted88, LuskusDelph, BSW and 9 others like this.
  23. Amendm

Amendm Zealot (541) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

I find nothing annoying about beer culture yet I like to goof on it.

Remember the Sling commercial with Danny Trejo as the bartender and the picky hipster. I would like to have seen Trejo get all From Dust Till Dawn on the little neck-beard.

Disclaimer; I nothing against younger beer fans, they can stand in line for an hour for some oatmeal juice at their discretion and I myself enjoy a turbid juice bomb once in a while, even APAs.

24. Hat_Fulla_Beer

Hat_Fulla_Beer Zealot (503) Dec 14, 2015 Alberta (Canada)

Loving a style of beer isn't going to disqualify you as a beer lover. I love west coast ipas and I happen to be enjoying a NEIPA as I type. It's fine if you don't like them, there's plenty of beer for you to enjoy, but judging other beer drinkers on it makes you look like a jackass.

25. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,128) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I am annoyed that somebody already pointed out what I was about to post: Every thread seems to turn into a 'NEIPA' complaining discussion. 'NEIPA' beers are not flawed, they are just different from regular IPAs.

DRINK WHAT YOU LIKE!

There are more choices of beer styles/types today than ever (and ever growing with 2+ new craft breweries opening every day).

Cheers to choice!!

26. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,854) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Isn't this just a re-hashed variation of evenmorejesus' pet thread "Controversial Beer Opinions"

27. ScaryEd

If you ever say something like "NEIPA's are for people who don't like beer" I just assume you drink Blind Pig poured softly into a stemmed Pinot Noir glass whilst wearing an expensive tuxedo and holding out your pinky. You probably smack your lips after every sip and listen to the soothing sounds of smooth jazz.

dxtxxii, Rajaholick, Kemosabe and 9 others like this.
  28. Warwick7

Warwick7 Initiate (56) May 25, 2019 Maryland
    Trader

If something is not intensely flavored and high alcohol is called boring. Its called smooth.

29. c64person

c64person Devotee (415) Mar 20, 2010 North Carolina
    Trader

Things that annoy me...

Beer drinkers that complain about other beer drinkers.

Couple of y'all complaining about orange juice beers, adjuncts, and standing in line need to get some damn hobbies and spend less time complaining on the internet.

Drink what you like, and don't judge what others like, it has nothing to do with you. Cheers!

dxtxxii, Rajaholick, pro100 and 11 others like this.
  30. islay

islay Aspirant (284) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

Don't blame the brewer for brewing certain beer; he's only satisfying public demand. Don't blame the drinker for liking certain beer; that makes you look like a pompous jackass. Don't criticize any newer style; that makes you anti-innovation and an old man yelling at a cloud. Don't make generalizations about beer culture. Don't be negative. Join the hive mind or basically just shut the fuck up.

THAT's what I dislike most about craft beer culture in 2019: The frequent demands that those who don't embrace the fad of the day or who go against the grain of social-media-based conventional wisdom be silent. Not "I disagree with what you're saying" but rather "How DARE you say that, you asshole?!" The effect is a stifling of perfectly reasonable voices and a clearing of the tracks for hype trains to run unimpeded, and it's based on an unreasonable expectation that people say and do nothing as a scene and product that they enjoy deteriorates before their eyes.

Certainly, the phenomenon of people illliberally attempting to shame or intimidate into silence those with whom they disagree is a problem that is flourishing in many areas of society today. It's far from limited to the beer world, but it rears its ugly head in these forums all too frequently. This is a site for beer advocacy, criticism, and discussion, and, as such, the expectations among some not to be exposed to any potentially unflattering commentary about their favorite beers or less than Pollyannish opinions about the craft beer scene or industry are particularly misguided.

31. mickyge

mickyge Champion (867) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Places that take incomplete 4s and 6ers out of their cooler and put them on a room temp mix and match shelf.

32. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,059) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Whining. And people who whine about whining.....wait, that'd be me now....shit.....

33. JackHorzempa

Society

And that thread went 120 pages with the last post (so far) in July.

Do you think this thread will go 120 pages?

Cheers!

P.S. The Controversial thread was started by @Kraz in Feb. 2018. Do you recall any other thread lasting almost 1.5 years?

GuyFawkes, JayWhitson, Amendm and 2 others like this.
  34. ScaryEd

Hey! Jerk!

35. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Aspirant (210) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Honestly the most annoying thing is people who take beer trends personally, like it's somehow brave to be part of the counterculture. We all have different taste buds man, I don't know how anyone can ever get angry about another person's drink choice. Unless that choice is Twisted Tea, then go crazy:wink:

36. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Aspirant (210) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I'll also add blatantly sexist beer names to this list, like c'mon man it's 2019!

37. jamshard2mash

jamshard2mash Initiate (74) May 4, 2017 California
    Trader

I'll also dislike these threads. Stop telling us what "annoys" you and start creating threads on what you do like or find interesting. What you feel on the inside reflects on your face...

Benighted88 and c64person like this.
  38. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,854) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I hope it doesnt last that long .... and no, I can't remember any thread lasting that long in my few years on here.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  39. JackHorzempa

Society

Me too!!

I personally just ignored that Controversial thread. Needless to say but I already stepped into these 'shark infested waters'.:flushed:

Cheers!

LarryV, Amendm and FBarber like this.
  40. 5thOhio

5thOhio Devotee (497) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

I'll add my traditional throwback complaint: beer drinkers that think you're a snob if you turn down an AAL, that it's somehow impolite to refuse a beer when offered.

I just don't like the effin' taste of AALs, OK?! That sickly sweet corn or, if you will, rice flavor just doesn't sit well with me. Last time I tried drinking one was at a public event where the only choices were wine (don't drink it) and a popular AAL. I had to put the glass down after about half of it.

Get over yourself. I'm not questioning your manliness or insulting your mother if I politely decline your beer.