I'll take "Things that annoy" for $200

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by beaulabauve, Sep 10, 2019.

1. TheBaldBeerGuy

TheBaldBeerGuy Initiate (40) Oct 7, 2019 Ontario (Canada)

Hops can be described as floral, herbal, grassy, citrus, spicy, piney, fruity and tea for some examples.
    When describing malt flavours I use bready, honeylike, toasty, biscuits, caramel/toffee molasses, nutty chocolate and coffee.

Lone_Freighter and PapaGoose03 like this.
  2. TheBaldBeerGuy

Holy crap, I said it annoys me. I know they use the terms throughout the beer industry. I didn't say they don't use hoppy or malty, it JUST ANNOYS ME. That was the forum question

drtth and PapaGoose03 like this.
  3. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,487) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

When you read many/most beer reviews you'll see those descriptors. For general forum language, hoppy and malty usually suffice for their generality.

4. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Yes you have said, more than once now, that it annoys you, but remember this is written communication only and there is no guarantee every single person reads your every word, so when you start to respond to people with things such as "You should still not describe beers using malty or hoppy, no matter what, nor the colour yellow ever," guess what it sounds like in the heads of others.

5. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,324) Sep 24, 2007 Vatican City
    Trader

Especially Elysian. Funny story:

I'm FB friends with one of the 2 folks who voted to sell Elysian. He reopened a shuttered pub. A couple weeks ago, he posted a rant about how one of chefs was approached by another restaurant, for a sizable upgrade in pay, and he took the offer. Well, the owner rants about how there's no loyalty, and it's wrong, and karma will soon get the chef.

Coming from the guy who undercut the creator of Elysian to grab the cash himself, that was fucking rich. I laughed and laughed.........

Dan_K, chrismattlin, Scrapss and 7 others like this.
  6. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,938) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Doesn’t annoy me a bit, but I always thought backwards hat guy was under 18. Strikes me as a bit strange for 30 year old guys wearing a hat backwards.

PapaGoose03 and beertunes like this.
  7. Overlord

Overlord Poo-Bah (1,975) Jun 28, 2007 California

Millennials have ruined the "undying/underpaid loyalty to a callous and uncaring business owner" industry.

FBarber and beertunes like this.
  8. PapaGoose03

Society

Yeah, I read on some pooh-pooh list of annoying things that 35 is the max age that any guy should have outgrown it.

Have you ever seen the pic on social media somewhere that shows some guy (probably 25-30 years old) sitting in the direct sun at a ballgame and shading his eyes with his hand? Yep, he was wearing his ball cap backward. :rolling_eyes:

9. nc41

Trader

Lol, the only acceptable answer I’ve seen is from beertunes, and WA is rainy, it keeps the rain off your neck.

10. TheBaldBeerGuy

100% correct, didn't think of that when I was replying. Cheers

drtth and PapaGoose03 like this.
  11. RKP1967

RKP1967 Aspirant (262) Sep 26, 2010 Virginia

Old farts on this forum complaining about NEIPA's and milkshakes while sipping their lagers. I'm 52.

JA_26, montman, the_bavarian and 2 others like this.
  12. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,086) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

I can get a Handjee up in Montreal for about $80.

If someone already made this joke, too bad, I wasn't going to read through 8 pages of a repeat of the "Controversial Opinions" thread to find out.

SouthAtholSuds and rozzom like this.
  13. Junior

Junior Defender (624) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

But you did say it.

beertunes likes this.
  14. PapaGoose03

Society

Here's a new peeve that I just experienced last night. I'm visiting CA and I walked into a bottle shop looking for some beer. I know which breweries that I wanted to find, but I had a lot of difficulty finding a brewery name on the front label by looking thru the glass door of the cooler. It's a pain in the arse to keep opening the door to pull out the bottles or cans to read the label (this was a good store whose employees fill the cooler with most labels visible to the front, but that can be another gripe).

Breweries, if you are proud of your name, show it on the front label, and not in a fine print. (I should add that this is a store that arranges their cooler shelves sorted by beer styles, so I had multiple searches for the same breweries' names. But shelf arrangements can be another discussion topic too.)

15. DW78715816

DW78715816 Disciple (380) Aug 30, 2014 Kansas
    Society

That I can't directly post a picture from my phone on this site.

mambossa, JA_26, jimmyfishkin and 5 others like this.
  16. rgordon

rgordon Savant (973) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

But the internet makes expertise happen in a flash! And anonymity.....

beertunes and Squire like this.
  17. beertunes

Trader

Look at this way: at least you can't fat finger and accidentally post your latest dick pic. Bright side bro, look at the bright side.

rozzom likes this.
  18. Immanuelrx

Immanuelrx Initiate (19) Jan 20, 2019 Belgium
    Trader

I will post two things that annoy. One will be something that annoyed me and the other is something I do that I am sure annoys other people. This past Open Beer days at 3F, I was sitting outside the doors waiting for them to open. As I am sitting there, I heard a conversation that drove me nuts. Now keep in mind that I have lived in none English speaking countries for the past 4+ years, so English conversation catch my attention. I’m not nosy. Ok maybe a little bit. Anyways, I hear this one guy go on and on with some random person about how he had been into craft beers before it was popular. He had been to the old tree house brewery many times before they opened their new brewery and “good for them” for making it. He went on about how the alchemist isn’t what it used to be and he just can’t get behind trillium. He talked about how the new Zenne y Frontera was overhyped and not that great. This was me hearing it for a few minute off and on while trying to ignore. Those types of beer guys drive me up the wall.

Ok, here is what I do that probably annoys other people. I’m the guy who goes to Open Beer days every day to get as much of the limited stuff for myself that I can get. I constantly get people to buy the controlled beers. I do this even though I understand they control amounts to be so that more people can enjoy them. I don’t care and try to stock pile as much as possible. I am sure that annoys some people.

19. nc41

Trader

I would guess your assumption would be right, if you want to stand in line for beer that’s fine, but using mules is never looked on as cool. Hoarding beer is never a good look.

rozzom, Junior, beertunes and 2 others like this.
  20. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,086) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

We don’t use the word “annoy” when describing things that bother us...ever.

We use chafe, nettle, or vex.

21. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Devotee (421) Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

HA! Anyone who quotes Kelly's Heroes here... I salute you

22. Thrillhouse82

Thrillhouse82 Initiate (134) Sep 14, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

Wait...There's a glass with Streets of Rage on it?

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  23. seakayak

seakayak Defender (667) May 20, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

Frosted schooners - iceberg dead ahead, Captain!

[​IMG]

JayWhitson, PapaGoose03 and Junior like this.
  24. Immanuelrx

Trader

Yea man I know. I just don’t care I guess. I should but I don’t.

nc41 likes this.
  25. Kadonny

Kadonny Meyvn (1,360) Sep 5, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Them: "I love IPAs"
    Me: "Wow, nice. So you love some of the classics like HopDevil, Torpedo, Head Hunter, Union Jack etc?"
    Them: "Ew no, those are way to strong and bitter"
    Me: ".............."

meanmutt, islay, beertunes and 2 others like this.
  26. nc41

Trader

Lol, you new to looking at rarer beers? 20 years ago it was a trading obsession.

27. Immanuelrx

Trader

I am quite new to searching out rare beers, but I’m not big on trading them. I like to enjoy them myself and even more so with friends. If I find a good thing I get just as much excited about having my friends try it.

28. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Champion (872) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Society Trader

I’m annoyed that this thread hasn’t been locked yet.

meanmutt likes this.
  29. beertunes

Trader

The "self lock" feature (not opening a thread) is still functionable.