I'm suffering from Can-itis

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by pro100, Dec 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pro100

pro100 Initiate (107) Oct 12, 2014 California

I need help. I only look for fresh local cans these days.. What is this bottle beer thing all about?

algebeeric_topology likes this.
  2. Lahey

Lahey Devotee (402) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I dont know, I got a bottle of CBS, KBS and BCBS this week, so it's not a problem for me ;-)

3. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (550) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

You use a bottle opener.

4. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,566) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Clearly, you suffer from FOMO. The most efficient way to fix this is to stop giving a fuck. Just grab the nearest good beer, and drink it.

5. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,633) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

6. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,566) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

That's OK, neither do the rest of us. Go ahead, pipe up!

7. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,972) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

I am very much against cans due to environmental reasons, but it has come to the point that I have a lot of cans in the house and it is purely due to the the beer I love is not put into bottles. So my choice is buy cans, or give up the beer I love. I have sacrificed my principles numerous times for love of a woman, now it's for love of a beer. The Devil likely will point this out to me eternally.

8. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,567) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

If I did this, I wouldn't be drinking at all. A crowler would be my only choice, and that's a non-starter in my book. YMMV.
    That worked for me, too. :slight_smile:

Lahey and jvgoor3786 like this.
  9. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,567) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

That's okay. I have a feeling that this thread is destined for the bit bucket anyway.

10. teal

teal Initiate (92) May 3, 2012 Wisconsin

I love a great can. I mean - the way they move when she walks.....

Wait err, I mean yeah - fresh beer in the best container available. That's my motto.

jakecattleco and chipawayboy like this.
  11. cavedave

Society Trader

If you can't get local cans in your area now might be a good time to invest in a mobile canning system and be first one to offer service to your local breweries. Sadly (from my perspective) the can revolution is taking over and is certainly coming your way.

I like crowlers when growlers not avail. so my mileage did vary, I just wish they were priced better, many breweries seem to add a premium to the per oz. price of beer in crowlers

Lahey, Brolo75, jakecattleco and 3 others like this.
  12. ThinBlueLine

ThinBlueLine Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2014 New Jersey

Anyone remember when cans were the devil? Sometimes it amazes me as to what some people philosophize and ponder......

JrGtr, dgmirelli, PatrickCT and 4 others like this.
  13. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Yes.

Cans were throught to be containers only suitable for use by Big Beer companies (which some have seen as doing only the devil's work :wink: ).

Then along came Oskar Blues. The word spread. Now here we are today.

bret717, Troutbeerbum, pro100 and 6 others like this.
  14. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,361) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I can somewhat relate to the OP. It's to the point now that it actually pisses me off when a brewery puts their latest IPA in a 6-pack of bottles. I bought a sixer of Victory Mighty Things DIPA and every time I went to go grab one I was like "This is taking up so much room in my fridge!"

15. Troutbeerbum

Troutbeerbum Initiate (187) Dec 5, 2016 Maine

I'm interested in your environmental reasons. I'm with you by the way.
    I work as a Flyfishing Guide as my part time gig. There is a lot of environmental stewardship that goes hand in hand with that. Nothing worse than broken glass on a riverbank, or cans for that matter. I see far more broken glass on the river than cans. I owe that to pack in pack out? Even lazy people are more likely to lug cans out than bottles?

HoppingMadMonk, Wolfhead and Jaycase like this.
  16. ThinBlueLine

ThinBlueLine Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2014 New Jersey

I was wondering the same thing. Aren't aluminum cans easily recyclable?

redeemer, mnrider and JimKal like this.
  17. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (550) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

While I typed my initial response I was enjoying a Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. I also picked up a 2017 Bourbon County Coffee Stout which the convenience store down the block from still had. The one that splits cases, and variety packs and sells them as sixers.
    The only point I can see to support your... erm... question?...is that bottles add so much additional cargo weight to the liquid they carry which creates its own related impacts.

18. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,430) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Cans don't give off a tell tale tinkle when you're carrying that extra grocery bag into the house.

19. thuey

thuey Disciple (329) Nov 13, 2015 California

I have more cans than I know what to do with :slight_frown:

20. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (886) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Trader

21. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Poo-Bah (2,233) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

Cans are convenient because of shape (fit in the bottom shelf of fridge) but bottles allow you to use your cool bottle opener. Both cans and bottles are recyclable which I do. I don’t care either way.

VABA likes this.
  22. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,659) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Over 20 posts and we haven't heard from @woodychandler yet!?!:rolling_eyes:

Cheers!

23. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Disciple (351) Apr 29, 2012 California

Yes. Here in California you pay CRV on every can or bottle. When it comes time to recycle, you get so much more back for aluminum than glass that cans are really a better deal all around.

24. pat61

pat61 Poo-Bah (5,858) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Society

I college (1970) we looked at the environmental impacts of beer packaging and returnable bottles were the best for the environment and throwaway packaging was the worst and at the time everyone thought beer from cans sucked. Today the environmental costs of getting the ore out of the ground and make into aluminum and then into a can is enormous but once the can is a can then it beats the socks off throwaway bottles environmentally. Looking at the total lifecycle cans and bottles are probably pretty equal although each side can make a strong case that the other is much worse. The best way environmentally to drink beer is to drink draft beer.

The flavor issue with cans is long gone and unlike green, blue and clear bottles, beer in cans does not get skunky. Cans are also cheaper to transport per unit of beer. Beer in bottles will stale slightly faster due to extra headroom at the top filled with air. I have aged beer in bottles but not in cans so i do not know if there is a big difference between the two. Aesthetically I think bottles look nicer but then that could just be because I'm an old fart set in my ways.

grilledsquid, SipIt, mike22ne and 5 others like this.
  25. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (192) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

Just recycle instead of throwing them on the neighbors lawn?

26. cavedave

Society Trader

Don't want to get too off topic. Before trying to wade through aluminum industry propaganda that litters online search results, start by comparing the environmental disasters caused by mining for bauxite and the toxic process of turning aluminum oxide into aluminum versus the environmental disasters caused by gathering glass raw material and creating glass.

27. DrivinNCryin

DrivinNCryin Initiate (61) Aug 21, 2017 South Carolina

1. Homebrew
    2. Bottle
    3. ???
    4. Profit

28. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (11,609) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I'm curious about the negative environmental impact of cans as well. Both aluminum and glass are infinitely recyclable, yes? But glass is actually easier to come by. Does it take more energy to recycle aluminum than glass?

As far as shipping goes, however, cans are much better than glass because they weight a lot less and take up less room, which means less trips overall (which is great in itself).

Environmentally, concerning energy/fuel/shipping costs, cans have to be better than glass. The beer inside a 12 fl. oz. bottle of beer weighs roughly 13 oz. while the bottle itself is then another 7 oz. while a can is next to nothing. Am I wrong? Therefore the glass in a 24 pack case would weight an extra 10.5 #s in shipping.

29. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (11,609) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Now I see said the blind man!

Troutbeerbum likes this.
  30. HeilanCoo

HeilanCoo Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2014 North Carolina
    Deactivated

Since "-itis" refers to inflammation of some sort, I'm guessing that his ass is swollen.
    Wrong forum.

Brolo75, GetMeAnIPA, pro100 and 2 others like this.
  31. cavedave

Society Trader

I suggest that equivalency can be roughly determined after a rigorous examination of all the factors, which include distance traveled in total by all raw materials to place of final manufacture, and distance traveled in all cases after manufacture. Which includes glass being mostly not re made into glass but used as clean fill, and needing to travel only a short distance from point of being recycled.

However the extreme damage done by bauxite mining has no equivalence with glass raw materials,, and there is no equivalence to the toxicity created by aluminum oxide being made into aluminum. So we can debate whether the glass mouse in the room weighs more or less than the aluminum mouse in the room, while the aluminum elephant stands alone to the side.

zid, Brolo75, surfcaster and 3 others like this.
  32. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (6,846) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Society Trader

Cans, bottles, it's all good. Shipping wise, easier to ship cans.

Cheers!

33. Troutbeerbum

Troutbeerbum Initiate (187) Dec 5, 2016 Maine

I hear you.

cavedave likes this.
  34. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,659) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Because he likes it in the can!?!:rolling_eyes:

Cheers!

CheapHysterics and Brolo75 like this.
  35. MFMB

MFMB Meyvn (1,051) Jan 23, 2015 Idaho

This happened to me a year or so ago after I made my first beer trade for fresh cans. I spent the next 4-5 months chasing every can release I saw posted on Instagram. Many fruitless hours on the trading forums of the internet trying to figure out a way to score the latest hype. I had some success but I struck out more often. Then one day in July everything changed. I saw the lastest hyped beer being released from the latest hyped brewery and I was like mehhh. Don’t get me wrong I love fresh cans and have a few in my fridge ready to be consumed this weekend but something definitely changed. I adopted the attitude “If I can try it great if not that’s okay because there is great beer all around”. A few bad experiences on Instagram and Reddit (not BA :wink: ) I found a lot of these haze bros to be complete and utter douches when it came to beer and trading it. But hey I know I’m just being salty because I don’t live next to Monkish, OH or Treehouse right? Lol I don’t get that the beer is practically gold right? And that my beer I am trying to trade is complete garbage because it’s not hyped and being posted all over Instagram. But after all this ranting I just want want to say ISO:Fresh Canzzzz :slight_smile:

#35 MFMB, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    Brolo75, pro100 and VABA like this.
  36. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,162) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

I'm sure woody would say he 'CAN offer you his opinion but he doesn't understand the OP's CANundrum' or something like that

(am I doing this right, @woodychandler ?:laughing:)

37. EvenMoreJesus

Trader

Welcome to the adult world of craft beer drinking.

Brolo75, beertunes and MFMB like this.
  38. MFMB

MFMB Meyvn (1,051) Jan 23, 2015 Idaho

Thank you. I was in the adult world of craft beer drinking prior but can fully admit I suffered a 4 or 5 month sickness. It’s good to be back :wink:

Cheers

VABA likes this.
  39. EvenMoreJesus

Trader

Glad you're feeling better.

MFMB likes this.
  40. spelingchampeon

spelingchampeon Meyvn (1,070) Feb 21, 2016 Delaware
    Society Trader

Cans are boring. Bottles have caps!

Lahey, sharpski, Brolo75 and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.