Imperial Oak Brewing

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Italy61587, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Italy61587

Italy61587 Initiate (154) Apr 4, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Imperial Oak is one of my favorite local breweries and I noticed it didn’t have its own thread. The brewery just recently had a big expansion and looking to extend their sour program. What I love best about this place is that the beers rotated weekly and there’s always something new to try. Their barrel-aging programs have been pretty consistent and solid as well.

Did anybody get out to the BA Udder Madness release this past weekend? This was their largest bottle count release to date at /548.

SWChi, ChiCubs78, Gonzoillini and 2 others like this.
  2. GrumpyGas

GrumpyGas Crusader (706) Apr 7, 2009 Illinois

I have also been pleased with their beer so far. I grabbed a couple bottles of Madness on Saturday and Lord Humoungous last month. Very well run operation.
    I have yet to get on the sour bandwagon, but I will continue to enjoy their other offerings and I revel in their growth.

Gonzoillini and Italy61587 like this.
  3. Karnivool1

Karnivool1 Aspirant (284) Dec 28, 2014 Illinois

Love this place. Quiet Giant should be soon....

4. stevegoz

stevegoz Aspirant (245) May 5, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Beautiful space. It's been too long since I've gone!

5. Wowzors

Wowzors Initiate (141) Feb 19, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Conflicted on this place getting bigger because I used to go there all the time when no one was around. They have always made great beer and their sours are awesome. Im excited to see how these new customers and the expansion treats them. We had our engagement party here prior to the new expansion and everything was awesome.

6. Italy61587

Beer Trader

Can’t wait for quite giant this year. The event keeps getting bigger every year. I went last year and the allotment price was really good, hope they continue that as well.

Gonzoillini likes this.
  7. chicagogooner

chicagogooner Initiate (162) Feb 5, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Good to hear about the sour program.

I have only had their beers at events, do they bottle sours regularly for pickup or is it mainly releases?

Gonzoillini likes this.
  8. toastjeff

toastjeff Initiate (116) Mar 27, 2014 Illinois

They've never bottled any of their sours. They do one bottle a month. Depending on the yield, it's 250 or so 22oz bottles at a time of something barrel aged.

Gonzoillini and chicagogooner like this.
  9. whatruDOINdragic

whatruDOINdragic Initiate (172) Aug 22, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Had never heard of Imperial Oak until about a week ago and since then heard positive reviews from a handful of sources. Is the taproom kid friendly? Want to stop by at the next opportunity and need to know whether I can bring the kids (who are well behaved so long as they're not over-served). TIA.

Gonzoillini likes this.
  10. evoljetta

evoljetta Initiate (197) Aug 5, 2005 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Many people bring their kids and Ive never seen any issue with that. Believe they even have some coloring books for the young ones or just young at heart

Gonzoillini and whatruDOINdragic like this.
  11. Dankacheese

Dankacheese Aspirant (273) Nov 8, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

June is their anniversary. Should be then.

12. Ken134

Ken134 Initiate (175) Nov 19, 2013 Illinois

Didn't make the bottle release but they still had 4 or 5 cases left yesterday.

13. kreg02

kreg02 Aspirant (271) Nov 19, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Yea this spot is near the house and love their beers. Always doing different things with their base beers and it keeps things interesting. FYI they do have a canner as well for crowlers!

Gonzoillini and FBarber like this.
  14. Redsunsx01x

Redsunsx01x Aspirant (205) Jul 5, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I was there on Sunday and got a couple bottles. I thought it was a pretty good ba milk stout. Had a good amount of barrel and was a bit sweeter than the non ba.

15. Italy61587

Beer Trader

I usually hit all their stout releases if I’m available. Wasn’t able to make it on Saturday and with the St. Patrick’s Day party they were having I was almost certain they were going to sell out, that was until I found out the bottle count was almost double what they usually are. I’m not complaining though, was able to stop by there on Monday and picked up a bottle.

Gonzoillini likes this.
  16. Italy61587

Beer Trader

I’m hoping with this new expansion and promise of sours to come, that they experiment with fruited sours and do some bottling of them.

Gonzoillini likes this.
  17. Socalfan21

Socalfan21 Aspirant (226) Aug 1, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I was here last night. Very solid brewery. I had a flight +1 of all of their hopped up stuff and tried their BA milk stout, which was very bourbon-y. Overall good IPAs. Their crowler designs were really cool.

Gonzoillini likes this.
  18. rchenoweth23

rchenoweth23 Initiate (118) Oct 13, 2010 Illinois

Great spot and they hand make all of the tables, lighting fixtures, etc. The beers are solid. They always have a lot of varieties of their "Crank it" series IPAs. And they typically tap a specialty keg every Friday night and another one on Saturday mornings. Also, for any endurance athletes, it's right down the street from the Palos trails, so always lots of runners and bikers on the weekends.

Gonzoillini likes this.
  19. Dankacheese

Beer Trader

Lord Humungous BA on tap again This Friday.

GrumpyGas likes this.
  20. Italy61587

Beer Trader

I could be wrong but I don’t think it’s the barrel aged version being tapped on Friday.

1 keg of Almond Joy Madness tapping Saturday. Milk stout w/ coco/coconut/almonds sounds pretty interesting

Gonzoillini and GrumpyGas like this.
  21. Dankacheese

Beer Trader

Yea it looks like you're right. They don't specify if its BA on Facebook, them using the logo from the BA release had me assuming.

The Almond Joy of Madness forsure sounds interesting.

Italy61587 likes this.
  22. Italy61587

Beer Trader

Imperial Oak released some information today about Quiet Giant. Apparently it will all be barrel aged this year.

Copied from their Facebook page -
    "ITS GREAT TO BE 3! Mark your calendars because on June 2nd & 3rd we're throwing another "Giant" anniversary party to celebrate. As we have had in the past, we'll get out the big top tent and tap lots of rare, strong, and barrel aged beers we've reserved just for this special event. We'll be relasing bottles of our Barrel Aged Quiet Giant and turn our storage space into a classic arcade for some added fun. Details will be added as we get closer to the event.
    We would like to let you know that we made a couple of changes to Quiet Giant this year.
    1) It's all Barrel Aged!
    2) There's a lot more of it!
    That's right, based on the response last year we made an entire extra batch to fill more barrels. That means we'll have more bottles of BA Quiet Giant this year than we had total bottles last year. We'll also have more on draft so we'll be able to do a few variants. More details to follow."

23. Karnivool1

Karnivool1 Aspirant (284) Dec 28, 2014 Illinois

This is probably my most anticipated release of the year. (other than CBS)

24. springheeljack

springheeljack Initiate (120) Apr 7, 2017 Illinois

Went their last thursday, enjoyed it. Good setting. Looking forward to spending some summer nights there.

25. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Initiate (143) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois

Perfect, right on the same weekend as my buddy's wedding. Any possibility of this one lingering like Udder Madness or will it evaporate day of?

26. StoutItOutLoud

StoutItOutLoud Devotee (422) Apr 1, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

This will sell out the day of . . . if the release last year is any indication. Shame too, because I will be indisposed as well.

27. Italy61587

Beer Trader

Really going to depend on what they decide to do for a limit this year. Last year, 50 bucks got you 2 non-barrel aged and 1 barrel aged + a mini snifter. Non-BA bottle count was 468, BA bottle count was 240. Now that this year’s will all be barrel aged I’m guessing the bottle count could easily be over 600 bottles, especially since their last release hit 548 bottles.

Gonzoillini and Dankacheese like this.
  28. toastjeff

Last year's BA actually lasted on tap for a few days after the party.

29. kreg02

kreg02 Aspirant (271) Nov 19, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I agree it should linger on tap, bottles will def be gone that day though.

Gonzoillini and Dankacheese like this.
  30. Dankacheese

Beer Trader

I think its forsure safe to say all the bottles will be gone that day/hour of release. I was a fool and planned my vacation to Portland last year on the same weekend as the anniversary party. NEVER AGAIN! Thrilled to actually get some bottles this year rather than relying solely on the kindness of my buddies to share theirs.

Gonzoillini likes this.
  31. whatruDOINdragic

whatruDOINdragic Initiate (172) Aug 22, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

For those who went last year, was this a ticketed event?

32. toastjeff

Nope. First come first served.

The whole parking lot was covered with a tent. It was crowded, but not uncomfortably so. With the expansion next door, if they tent the lot again, there should be plenty of room.

33. Italy61587

Beer Trader

They usually do some keg variants of what they bottle on releases. Since all Quiet Giant will be barrel aged this year, I’m curious to know if they will bottle some of variants this year. That would be interesting.

34. Dankacheese

Beer Trader

That'd be very interesting indeed. I don't think they've ever bottled any variants of anything before, only kegs. Would be something awesome for the anniversary. What a treat that'd be.

Italy61587 likes this.
  35. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Meyvn (1,090) Oct 15, 2008 Illinois

There will be no bottled variants this year, but lots of fun variants on draft on Saturday June 3rd.

36. Gonzoillini

The tent will again be up for Friday and Saturday (June 2nd and 3rd respectively) festivities.

Dankacheese likes this.
  37. Gonzoillini

For what it's worth Imperial Oak released a Gin and a Bourbon barrel aged version of Sinister Minister at the same release in March 2015, but you are correct that none of the barrel aged variant infusions have been bottled yet.

Dankacheese likes this.
  38. Dankacheese

Beer Trader

Yea I'm sure they'll tap into their cellar a bit for some old BA gems. This was a response they gave on Facebook when asked if they'd bottle any variants this year:

"Quiet Giant is a little different than our typical BA releases where we release the base beer and do a single keg variant. The entire batch of Quiet Giant is spiced with different spices each year. We want to do as many bottles of this as possible so that as many people can get bottles as possible. The variants will be the non spiced version (which we only plan to do one keg of so people can try it side by side) and a small amount that was aged in Bourbon Maple Syrup barrels. We don't have enough of that to bottle for release. So unfortunately, it isn't really feasible this year. Cheers."

Italy61587 likes this.
  39. Italy61587

Beer Trader

Officially, the adjuncts for this year’s Quiet Giant will be cinnamon and vanilla!! Can’t wait to have this!

Quoted from their Facebook post:
    "We're gearing up for our GIANT anniversary party on June 2nd and 3rd! This year's Quiet Giant anniversary stout is out of the barrels and is now infusing with cinnamon and vanilla. The food trucks are booked and we're prepping for the return of the retro arcade. Stay tuned for a detailed list of our hourly barrel aged and sour tappings that are sure to please.”

Link:
    https://www.facebook.com/Imperial-Oak-Brewing-532419720113054/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf

40. Dankacheese

Beer Trader

So stoked for June 3rd!!

One of the assistant brewers at Imperial Oaks is a member of my Homebrew club. I was chatting with him at our meeting on Wednesday and he said they'll have 8 barrels of the Giant. 1,000 bottles! As usual, he said the line in the morning will dictate how many bottles per person. Considering there was 850 bottles last year with 3 per person, should be safe to assume 2-3 bottles per person this year.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.