Imperial Oak Brewing

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Italy61587, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Italy61587

Italy61587 Initiate (147) Apr 4, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Imperial Oak is one of my favorite local breweries and I noticed it didn’t have its own thread. The brewery just recently had a big expansion and looking to extend their sour program. What I love best about this place is that the beers rotated weekly and there’s always something new to try. Their barrel-aging programs have been pretty consistent and solid as well.

Did anybody get out to the BA Udder Madness release this past weekend? This was their largest bottle count release to date at /548.

Dankacheese and GrumpyGas like this.
  2. GrumpyGas

GrumpyGas Zealot (563) Apr 7, 2009 Illinois

I have also been pleased with their beer so far. I grabbed a couple bottles of Madness on Saturday and Lord Humoungous last month. Very well run operation.
    I have yet to get on the sour bandwagon, but I will continue to enjoy their other offerings and I revel in their growth.

Italy61587 likes this.
  3. Karnivool1

Karnivool1 Aspirant (272) Dec 28, 2014 Illinois

Love this place. Quiet Giant should be soon....

Dankacheese and Italy61587 like this.
  4. stevegoz

stevegoz Aspirant (237) May 5, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Beautiful space. It's been too long since I've gone!

Italy61587 likes this.
  5. Wowzors

Wowzors Initiate (141) Feb 19, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Conflicted on this place getting bigger because I used to go there all the time when no one was around. They have always made great beer and their sours are awesome. Im excited to see how these new customers and the expansion treats them. We had our engagement party here prior to the new expansion and everything was awesome.

Italy61587 likes this.
  6. Italy61587

Beer Trader

Can’t wait for quite giant this year. The event keeps getting bigger every year. I went last year and the allotment price was really good, hope they continue that as well.

7. chicagogooner

chicagogooner Initiate (161) Feb 5, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Good to hear about the sour program.

I have only had their beers at events, do they bottle sours regularly for pickup or is it mainly releases?

8. toastjeff

toastjeff Initiate (116) Mar 27, 2014 Illinois

They've never bottled any of their sours. They do one bottle a month. Depending on the yield, it's 250 or so 22oz bottles at a time of something barrel aged.

chicagogooner likes this.
  9. whatruDOINdragic

whatruDOINdragic Initiate (167) Aug 22, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Had never heard of Imperial Oak until about a week ago and since then heard positive reviews from a handful of sources. Is the taproom kid friendly? Want to stop by at the next opportunity and need to know whether I can bring the kids (who are well behaved so long as they're not over-served). TIA.

10. evoljetta

evoljetta Initiate (196) Aug 5, 2005 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Many people bring their kids and Ive never seen any issue with that. Believe they even have some coloring books for the young ones or just young at heart

whatruDOINdragic likes this.
  11. Dankacheese

Dankacheese Initiate (162) Nov 8, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

June is their anniversary. Should be then.

Italy61587 likes this.
  12. Ken134

Ken134 Initiate (175) Nov 19, 2013 Illinois

Didn't make the bottle release but they still had 4 or 5 cases left yesterday.

13. kreg02

kreg02 Aspirant (264) Nov 19, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Yea this spot is near the house and love their beers. Always doing different things with their base beers and it keeps things interesting. FYI they do have a canner as well for crowlers!

14. Redsunsx01x

Redsunsx01x Aspirant (202) Jul 5, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I was there on Sunday and got a couple bottles. I thought it was a pretty good ba milk stout. Had a good amount of barrel and was a bit sweeter than the non ba.

15. Italy61587

Beer Trader

I usually hit all their stout releases if I’m available. Wasn’t able to make it on Saturday and with the St. Patrick’s Day party they were having I was almost certain they were going to sell out, that was until I found out the bottle count was almost double what they usually are. I’m not complaining though, was able to stop by there on Monday and picked up a bottle.

16. Italy61587

Beer Trader

I’m hoping with this new expansion and promise of sours to come, that they experiment with fruited sours and do some bottling of them.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe