Imperial Stout Appreciation Thread (2023)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Resistance88, Jan 1, 2023.

1. Resistance88

Resistance88 (600) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

Lucky to be alive! You know the drill
    [​IMG]

2. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 (1,280) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Moderator Society Trader

Let's go!!!

3. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus (620) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

I opened this tonight JUST to start this thread and scoop Tomas. GDI!

[​IMG]

4. Resistance88

Trader

feel free to start a budweiser 2023 thread

GreenBayBA, rm20015, micada and 11 others like this.
  5. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 (1,280) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Moderator Society Trader

[​IMG]

GreenBayBA, Davl22, micada and 14 others like this.
  6. Beer_Economicus

Trader

In 2023, I am definitely starting the 2024 thread with some horrifically adjunct-laden pastry stout.

7. VodkaPong87

VodkaPong87 (415) Oct 9, 2020 Connecticut
    Trader

Final beer of 2022. Final one to try from the 2022 BCBS lineup (that I purchased). This is obviously delicious, but not much of a difference between the base (unlike the amazing 150 last year). Overall the lineup this year was one of the better in recent memory, though. Cheers to the new thread! I should have tried to start it off with Jam the Radar from Bottle Logic to troll @Resistance88

[​IMG]

8. Luscious_Malfoy

Luscious_Malfoy (1,125) Oct 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Half Acre - Cherry Brandy BA Benthic

here’s to another number that is a year and more importantly, lots of imperial stouts!! cheers!!

9. jmdrpi

jmdrpi (1,775) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

DFH and Boston Beer - Utopias barrel-aged World Wide Stout.

This is a 2021 bottle that I stashed in the cellar for a year as I heard this one was a bit harshly boozy when it was fresh. Its only moderately hot in the taste, but does have a huge fruity cognac-like aroma that dominates the roasty malt flavors of normal WWS. But the finish does have some nice underlying dark cocoa notes. Thinner bodied for such a huge beer.
    [​IMG]

10. Nugganooch

Nugganooch (975) Jan 13, 2011 California
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Umm Budweiser still makes some incredible beer :beers:

11. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Tomas just gives me crap, because he is a hypebeast, and he demands that he will only trade for hypebeast beer.

12. jmdrpi

Society

Free Will Brewing's Ralphius (Two Year Maple). Great depth of flavor - rich maple mixed with dark chocolate, caramel, bourbon. Thick and smooth like all the variants, but not overly sweet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. DogbiteWilliams

DogbiteWilliams (125) Mar 28, 2015 California

I am thoroughly enjoying an Old Rasputin as I type this.

It's been years since the last one. I don't know if I just forgot about it or if Trader Joe's only carries it occasionally. I'll be on the lookout in February.

GreenBayBA, micada, SABERG and 17 others like this.
  14. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ (985) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society

Glad to have caught this thread during my Imperial Stout Season (November - April) as last year's thread got away from me.

First Imperial Stout of 2023, from the King of Beers and King of Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperual Stouts.

Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout - Willett (2022)

[​IMG]

Full review in the New Beer Sunday #932 thread. Bottom line, I am enjoying this beer, but like my 2020 experiences, the single barrel treatment yields a harsher less balanced bourbon treatment. Still enjoying, but believe I'll enjoy my blended four pack better.

That said, I really hope this is a permanent return to the 12 oz four packs, a much better serving size for this type of beer. They need to price these four packs at $29.99 to move better, perhaps future Coffee and Barleywine four packs at $34.99. Still glad to return to the Regular and Coffee after a one year hiatus from GI BCBS, my OG bourbon barrel aged offering that got me all in on craft beer now eight years ago!

Bourbon County Brand Stout - The Big Number #1 :grin:

15. BMBCLT

BMBCLT (835) May 9, 2014 South Carolina
    Society

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

July 2021 cellar pull...

[​IMG]

Praline Pecan-inspired 14% ABV double-mashed Imperial Stout aged in extremely wet Buffalo Trace bourbon barrels for 15 months. Transferred out of the barrels and aged on house-made praline pecans.

Such a great beer!

Cheers! :beers:

#15 BMBCLT, Jan 1, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
  16. foundersasap

foundersasap (0) Feb 2, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

17. jmdrpi

Society

Troubles End Brewing (Collegeville, PA) - Absent Void. 11% abv Imperial Stout.

nice rich espresso, dark chocolate, and a touch of dark fruit flavors. fuller bodied, drier finish.

[​IMG]

GreenBayBA, micada, SABERG and 15 others like this.
  18. Nugganooch

Nugganooch (975) Jan 13, 2011 California
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Low key, digging this better than the BA version BA!

19. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson (845) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

*whispers* it's better than the BA version *whispers*

20. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes (1,020) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

Finally, Beer Advocate shines a light on the near-extinct style of Imperial Stouts!!

Let's revive IPA's next, team.

:sunglasses: (good natured sarcasm font)

GreenBayBA, zyskz, Scotchboy and 10 others like this.
  21. sulldaddy

sulldaddy (1,130) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Ive had a lot of beers over past two days with a bit of travel and not a lot of screen time. I did take a few photos of beers, so I may circle back and post a couple with abbreviated notes.
    So anyway, tonight Im back in Connecticut and Im catching up with a nice imperial stout. Imperial Oatmeal Stout from Stoneface Brewing in New Hampshire. This is an 11.7% ABV imp stout.

onto my review:
    [​IMG]

Sampling a cellar temp 500 ml bottle poured into my snifter. I picked up this bottle fro the brewery in November, and its been in my cellar since then. Label only says 2021 as a date.
    The beer pours a rich dark black coffee color with a frothy, yet also dense tan head of about1.5 cm. This head fades to a sturdy edge layer that remains through the sampling.
    Aroma is roasted malts and dark chocolate with a bit of coffee grounds. Malt forward aroma, not sweet at all. No hop profile nor hints of the ABV. I get a little bit of anice and maybe some tobacco as the beer warms a bit. The tobacco could also be a charred note, its very faint.
    First sip reveals a medium body with very smooth and silky texture and fine tingly carbonation. The beer drinks very easy for a higher ABV.
    Flavor is similar to the nose. I get roasted malts, molasses, charred wood or burnt notes, some dark cacao hits too. The anice is there and maybe a little dark fruit. No hops here either. No warming booze or fusol notes to speak of.
    Pretty tasty old school imperial stout. Enjoyable purchase from this New Hampshire brewery.
    4.22 in the BA DB

22. Blogjackets

Blogjackets (895) Nov 22, 2017 Ohio
    Society Trader

Central Waters Bourbon Barrel stout The force is strong in this one.

[​IMG]

23. BMBCLT

Society

I'm back with another traditional Imperial Stout. :grimacing::laughing:

[​IMG]

Bhramari Rummage Through The Silence - 11.2% ABV Imperial Stout aged in Blanton's barrels with chocolate, Tahitian vanilla beans, raspberries and blueberries.

Nice beer!

Cheers! :beers:

24. Resistance88

Trader

It's great ain't it?

GreenBayBA, arizcards, DIM and 5 others like this.
  25. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

[​IMG]

from earlier before i knew we could post pics again. cheers!!

26. Resistance88

Trader

My goal this year is to drink more IPA , Barleywine and Horse Beer( saison) with a major reduction in Imperial Stouts .
    Handing the torch over to yall

GreenBayBA, micada, ChicagoJ and 6 others like this.
  27. FBarber

FBarber (1,555) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

28. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

if this is trolling it’s not funny

29. ChicagoJ

ChicagoJ (985) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society

I don't buy too many milk stouts, but this was included in my Revolution Season Ticket (one box of every Deep Woods release) and was very happy after diving in.

Revolution Very Special Old Dark Mode

[​IMG]

Full review in the New Beer Weekend thread. Bursts with several flavors, potent, very well balanced, restraining myself from gulping it all down at once with the taste being sooo good. If Revolution says it is Very Special Old, do not doubt, just buy, drink and enjoy immensely.

30. FBarber

FBarber (1,555) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

31. Resistance88

Trader

Post workout meal
    [​IMG]

32. Luscious_Malfoy

Society Trader

[​IMG]

Lagunitas Willettized 2022

cheers!!

33. BMBCLT

Society

Glad to see you're COVID free!

GreenBayBA, SLeffler27, DIM and 4 others like this.
  34. Resistance88

Trader

Tasted negative 3 times till day before the accident Its been good to be able to be around friends cuz i need it( also feels good to get ass kicked in the gym:skull:)

35. arizcards

arizcards (1,120) Jun 11, 2003 North Carolina
    Society Trader

@Resistance88 Glad to see the thread started again this year! Been off the site over the weekend. Glad to see you are past "Cova" but then an accident?
    You must have hit your head because i cannot believe i am reading this brotha!:astonished:

First post of the new year is Jackie O's Cellar Cuvee 1 from 2022. Man, this is an awesome beer, very balanced, not overly roasty but BB notes of vanilla with some dark fruits in the background. Very balanced!
    Cheers!
    Tom

[​IMG]

36. Resistance88

Trader

@arizcards Took a pretty bad slam in the vehicle the other day but wife and i walked away from it. Lucky that Impact was all my side cuz if it was wifes some heads woulda been chopped off.

Finally drinking this fucker...a whole lot going on here compared to regular Yeti or even the 12 oz Big Yeti @arizcards sent me....whole lotta dark fruit , milk chocolate, caramel, cocoa, mocha and roasted malt.
    A real treat ..let's see if i finish it all

[​IMG]

37. DIM

DIM (980) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Oh damn, I did not realize you were being literal when you said you got hit by a truck the other day. Glad you and your wife were able to walk away. Gonna have to be a 2020, still no '22 here, but I'm having a willittized to toast your health later on tonight. :beers:

GreenBayBA, zid, SLeffler27 and 6 others like this.
  38. DIM

DIM (980) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

Here's to the health of the host, glad you're okay Tomas. #properglassware

This is still drinking like a champ.

39. Resistance88

Trader

Much appreciated brotha!
    Props on the #properglassware , IMO lots of beers drink just as good from the bottle and no glass is needed with Willettized being one of them.

Doing a lot better today healthwise. Muay Thai went smooth yesterday and alladat. Haven't gone to the gym for any heavy lifting but i will try that next week.
    Wife's neck is still a bit stiff but what matters is we didn't bleed , break bones and we're moving.

No more beer for me after that 25th Anniversary Big Yeti, we'll see what tomorrow brings.
    Cheers Y'all

40. arizcards

arizcards (1,120) Jun 11, 2003 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Thankful to hear y'all came out of it pretty well. Sounds like it was a wicked collision! I'll raise a toast to your health with my next round!
    Cheers!
    Tom