Comment Improving BeerAdvocate

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by threeviews, Jul 6, 2013.

1. threeviews

threeviews Apr 18, 2011 Vermont

My first post, as I felt inspiried to do so...

Firstly, I am a proud member of the website and hard copy magazine for 2+ years and think it is far superior to ratebeer.com

However, one thing I love about the Beer Advocate website is the 'Full Review.' I really loathe having to sift through the 'Had' reviews which do nothing more than give the beer a score of 0-5. I think Beer Advocate should remove this hapazard rating method and force people to put their rating in some sort of prose.

As a shout out to felllw members, if the bottle/can/vessel you sampled had some sort of date (Packaged On or Best Buy or Unknown) date, please include that with your review. That would help out tremendously to people like me for both time-sensitive as well as aged beers.

Thanks for reading my post and hope you offer your thoughts to my thread. In the meantime, keep supporting the craft beer industry and as an employee of a craft brewery, I extend my sincere thanks for your support.

Cheers,
    B

2. FEUO

FEUO Jul 24, 2012 Ontario (Canada)

Uncheck the box called "Show Hads" and you won't see them anymore.
    You're welcome.

beerloserLI, ZEB89, Mersh and 21 others like this.
  3. Brenden

Brenden Feb 25, 2008 Ohio
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Interestingly, that was a new feature added with the site overhaul.

4. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Feb 6, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Yeah, unless there are only a handful of reviews, I don't think reiterating what the other 50 or so people have said about the beer is even remotely necessary.

His_Royal_Hoppiness likes this.
  5. Uniobrew31

Uniobrew31 Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

It would be awesome if you could post a pic from a smartphone.

6. DinoFight

DinoFight Jan 23, 2013 Arizona

You can.....or do you just want it to be easier?

RobertColianni likes this.
  7. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Apr 21, 2009 Illinois

Yeah, but I think the OP is saying this shouldn't be necessary. And I kinda agree...

jRocco2021 likes this.
  8. AlaskanYoung

AlaskanYoung Dec 1, 2011 Arkansas

Rookie mistake, OP.

9. kawilliams81

kawilliams81 Feb 27, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I have been reviewing beers for a little over 2 years now and I am kind of over it. If the Bros would reduce the min characters to around 100 I would review more. I want to review for myself mainly, so if I can add vintage and at least a overall review I would be ok wit that. Reduce the character min and I think you will see more "full" reviews,

Michigan, mverity, dhannes and 3 others like this.
  10. KingSlayer

KingSlayer Dec 20, 2012 California

what this site really needs (and i think they will include it in the new site) is the ability to cross check info, for example if u wanna find some american red ales that are specifically from california and have more than 4 overall in score, u simply check those parameters and voila! u get a neat list of what u asked for

11. Uniobrew31

Beer Trader

Easier, I know you can do it but it should be as easy as posting a pic on face book.

mcrago and Blueribbon666 like this.
  12. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

I use the "hads" for myself as a quick review when I'm out and about and not nerding it up w/a physical notebook. If I'm out w/friends it's a quick way to tick off new stuff & simply check back when I'm purchasing beers in say a mix-a-six. At this point I actually prefer to review a beer after having one casually and not putting it under the microscope of an official review. Just taking it as it comes as a beer drinker 1st, before letting loose with the cynical peanut gallery type review;) I have a back log of reviews in notebook form that I just simply haven't buckled down & bothered to input here, damn these forums :p

nickfl likes this.
  13. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Aug 1, 2012 New York

It literally takes 12 seconds

14. Uniobrew31

Beer Trader

Don't you need a flicker account or something... This is 2013 I don't have 12 seconds to post a picture to the entire world!

15. ChanChan

ChanChan Dec 12, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

This might sound stupid but I think the overall ratings on any particular beer should see based on reviews alone! It takes more work but I trust a review much more than a "had"!

By the way I am guilty of hads!

TMoney2591 likes this.
  16. SeaAle

SeaAle Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

I enjoy reading some of the full reviews, but too many are done by beer snobs who get too detailed with every little minute part of the beer. Like who really cares how the beer feels. IMO the "hads" are usually done by beer lovers and give a more accurate score than the full reviewers do.

17. dhannes

dhannes Feb 14, 2010 Wisconsin

I agree 100%...there is only so much you can write about "appearance" and "mouthfeel."

18. kevanb

kevanb Apr 4, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Considering you don't review at all and a quick glance at your "hads" list shows that you are consistently scoring significantly above the average of already inflated scores is telling. Perhaps if you took a look at how each individual score affects the total, you might learn that appearance and mouthfeel have a very very small influence vs taste and aroma, but go on, keep knocking people who write detailed reviews, it's obvious we don't like beer.

hardy008 likes this.
  19. Brenden

Brenden Feb 25, 2008 Ohio
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I typically skip the "hads." What do I know from them? That someone did or didn't like a beer. That hardly seems like the point of a review. What I care to see is that someone took the time and effort to describe the beer in a way in which I can relate. A person's reviews as a whole even tell me how much I can trust their insight, how similar our palates and preferences are judging frombeers we've both reviewed, etc. What are "hads" besides ticks you don't have to put any effort into?

utopiajane likes this.
  20. RobertColianni

RobertColianni Nov 4, 2008 Pennsylvania

Years ago, I recall filing beers I've had under my "Gots" because I had no other way of documenting them without writing a full review which I never had time for. I don't review on the computer, I review on paper and then add to the computer on a later date. Sometimes I don't always have the availability to write my notes, but like to sign on here on my phone and mark something as had and then rekindle my mental notes the next day on paper for myself. Eliminating "Hads" would take us backwards and there's already a way to hide them, so why remove the feature completely for those that actually use it? I have hundred of reviews in my booklet and fifty or so here. There's no shortage in personal documentation, but the online feature really helps me remember things.

sulldaddy and nickfl like this.
  21. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Apr 21, 2009 Illinois

As has been borne out by many people over many threads, that is exactly what the "Hads" feature ends up being: a BA-supported ticklist. For whatever reason, people don't want to add to the community through reviews and additions and whatnot. One minute I hear they don't have the time for reviews, the next I see them basically reviewing their favorite IPA in the 80,001st "What's your favorite IPA?" thread in the forums. From one side of their mouth, they tell us they don't feel comfortable reviewing a beer due to inexperience, fear, etc, then from the other they proceed to toss in a rating through the "Hads" function.

It's all about making things easier and convenient for the lazy and the selfish. To borrow from another BA in another thread proposing "improvements" to the site, these people want BA to be not only BA but Word, Excel, and Access as well. "Why can't I have a one-stop shop for all of my personal beer-related information that pertains only to me and is meant only for my own reflection?" Clearly because the site designers just don't get it...

mudbug likes this.
  22. BigJim5021

BigJim5021 Sep 2, 2007 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Or some of us that no longer review felt like we were doing homework instead of just casually enjoying a beer. I don't even really give a shit about what you or most of the people on here think about the score that I give a beer anyhow. When I use the had function, it's to either help me remember what I've had (shocking) and to show my buddies what I thought of it at a quick glance.

23. DinoFight

DinoFight Jan 23, 2013 Arizona

Nope, no other account needed. You can download imgupr Photo Uploader from the App Store (free). I use and iPhone but i am sure Android has it also if that is the phone you use. Nothing to sign up for at all. If you need help, message me, I would be glad to help.

24. MatthewPlus

MatthewPlus Jan 2, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

This is stupid.

hardy008 and mudbug like this.
  25. SeaAle

SeaAle Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

And the majority of your reviews are below the average. Thanks for proving my point. :)

26. thehyperduck

thehyperduck Feb 26, 2006 Ontario (Canada)
    Beer Trader

I wasn't a big fan of Hads when they were first added, but I've softened my stance somewhat. There are plenty of people that don't have the time/will/wherewithal to write beer reviews, and that's their prerogative. They should still be able to turn to BA as a resource for keeping track of which beers they've tried and how they felt about each of them. I myself use the Hads feature if I am trying a new beer in a social setting, because I have no interest in dragging a notebook or laptop around with me.

But I still think including the Hads amongst the actual beer reviews screws up the aesthetics of the page. Too much blank space, and I can't imagine there are many people who click on a beer and find seeing a long sequence of numbers with a username and no other context very useful. By default, the 'Show Hads' check box should just be left blank, or at the very least add a 'preferences' feature so that we can toggle it on or off for all pages simultaneously.

nickfl likes this.
  27. mudbug

mudbug Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

I defy you to take any amount of "Hads" on any beer and by using only that information tell me one thing about that beer that isn't in the description on the top of the page other than if a majority of the had raters liked it or not.
    I have no problem with had users keeping track of their own beers, but I do not think they provide the rest of us any benefit and therefore their rating should not be used to influence the beer's score. That's just my opinion.

TMoney2591 and hardy008 like this.
  28. nickfl

nickfl Mar 7, 2006 Florida
    Beer Trader

The hads feature works nicely as it is. I do both full reviews and hads and find that both have their place. If you prefer to only do full reviews that's fine, but it doesn't mean you need to demean people who use the hads feature and it certainly does not mean you opinion is more valid or your palate more sophisticated. As for skewing the overall scores, I believe the bros have refuted that idea repeatedly and shown that the hads average out similarly to the full reviews.

drtth likes this.
  29. keithmurray

keithmurray Oct 7, 2009 New York

I would love for BA's when doing a review to include what they paid for a bottle of said reviewed beer. In my reviews, I add a line called price point, I'd like to see it in other reviews as a reference point for new beers that I might like to try as well as those worth avoiding based on what it costs.

marine1975 and utopiajane like this.
  30. mudbug

mudbug Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

I'd like that, especially if the "hads" were required to do it too.

31. utopiajane

utopiajane Jun 11, 2013 New York

I don't think it's waste of time to really review a beer. Look at it this way, for any given IPA you can use the the same couple of words hop forward, pine, caramel malt, etc . . . so lets say that you have 20 reviews that all use these exact same words. Yet the scores are different. Why? because it's not the same beer. If you actually review a beer , it's not to be snobbish or "too - detailed;" It's to give all those same words that we all use some depth and definition. Otherwise it might as well just be all "hads" or ticks.

TMoney2591 likes this.
  32. ChanChan

ChanChan Dec 12, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

A had is more accurate than a review? How? Would you please explain this to me?

Also, would you please explain how you came up with the generalization that hads are usually done by beer lovers and reviews by snobs?

TMoney2591 likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe