In Memphis next weekend, August 3-5...

Discussion in 'South' started by JJFoodie, Jul 28, 2018.

1. JJFoodie

JJFoodie Initiate (140) May 11, 2009 Texas
    Trader

...and I'd love the BA Hive-Mind's help! I already have looked on the BA's resources and have hit up a few of the breweries before (especially Wiseacre). What I'm hoping to learn is anything new or not updated on the Places page. I'm especially hoping to find any great bottle shops, restaurants with great beer menus, and/or growler fill spots you'd recommend. Thanks in advance!

Cheers & Beers!
    JJFoodie

2. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (1,968) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Premium Trader

Stellar Cellar is a can't miss stop for some good brews.... they always have something local on tap at the growler fill station.... Flying Saucer usually has something really good on as well... if you aren't familiar with it it's a restaurant with a gigantic beer selection... Crosstown Brewing is doing some really good stuff right now as well....

JJFoodie likes this.
  3. Ridgewalker_1999

Ridgewalker_1999 Initiate (42) Nov 3, 2016 Tennessee
    Trader

Joe's Wine and liquor has a good place to fill up growlers and pick up bottles

JJFoodie likes this.
  4. JJFoodie

Trader

I appreciate it...thanks!

5. JJFoodie

Trader

Thanks! Solid draft line-up!

6. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (7,420) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Premium Trader

Since I am on the all states quest and my wife will be in Memphis for work soon, I was wondering if there were any bottle shops that carry beers from any of the Arkansas breweries or alternatively if there are any bottle shops just over the border in Arkansas where she could grab me some local-ish bottles?

7. dbrauneis

Premium Trader

Follow on question, do any of the local breweries do crowlers or cans?

8. ElChuques

ElChuques Initiate (107) Oct 8, 2014 Arkansas

I can’t think of any AR breweries that distribute out of state. I know I’ve picked up Lost Forty and Ozark beers at Interstate Liquor in Marion before. It’s about a 15-20 minute drive from downtown Memphis.

9. dbrauneis

Premium Trader

Yeah, I wasn't sure but it has been quite a few years since I have been in the Memphis area and I was hoping that it might have changed :slight_smile: Thanks for the pointer to Interstate Liquor - any good food in that area? Maybe some excellent BBQ?

10. ElChuques

ElChuques Initiate (107) Oct 8, 2014 Arkansas

I don’t know anything about the Memphis food scene except Gus’s Fried Chicken started there. I can tell you all the Little Rock hotspots, though. Wish I could be more help.

11. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,978) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

Arkansas beer distribution seems spotty at best in the bordering states. I've found some at Busters as well as in my local stores but like ghosts they seem to appear then disappear without any rhyme or reason.

One spot local to Memphis is the Walgreens in West Memphis, AR, located just across the Mississippi River Bridge from Memphis proper. Even Memphis residents make the short trip over for both selection and better prices.

12. dbrauneis

Premium Trader

Thanks for that pointer!

Squire likes this.