Germany In Munich next month, need suggestions!

Discussion in 'Europe' started by BeerBeerBeer, Sep 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerBeerBeer

BeerBeerBeer Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2012 Israel

I'm going to Munich next month, what do you recommend the most? I won't be visiting the Oktoberfest and like hefeweizens especially.

2. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Disciple (389) Jul 31, 2011 Germany

Well if you like hefeweizens, there is good news. Weihenstephaner is only a short(-ish) tram ride away in nearby Freising and Scheider Weisse has a restaurant in the tourist area that serves all their beers. Have fun!

3. Slam_Dunkels

Slam_Dunkels Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2013 United Kingdom (England)

4. Gutes_Bier

This is a good point. I'd think you could stop in anywhere and get a good wheat beer.

5. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,194) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Pretty much true. All 6 of the Munich beer brands have a weissbier (hefe-weizen) and almost all of the surrounding breweries do, too. There aren't many places you can go where you won't find one.
    In Munich proper you can find dozens of them within a few hundred yards of Marienplatz, the main central square.
    The The Schneider Weissesbrauhaus will have the greatest variety, with roughly 8-10 wheat beers available at any time. The Hofbrauhaus obviously serves their brand. It was especially good to me a few weeks ago. Andechser Am Dom serves theirs. It used to be very fruity, but recently I got a lot more clove and even hop notes.
    Ayinger Speis Und Trunk serves their light, dark, and weizenbock.
    Paulaner Im Tal serves both their light and dark weissbiers. A few doors down, the new Tegernsee taproom serves Hopf weissbier. Der Pschorr will have both of the H-P wheat beers.
    While their lagers are ubiquitous, Augustiner's weiss is usually poured from a bottle instead of served on draft. It's a bit darker and earthier than the others. Lowenweiss is also somewhat uncommon on draft.
    Franziskaner is pretty much everywhere. In fact, at some of the Augustiner and Lowenbrau locations they'll serve Franziskaner weissbiers on draft in addition to their own brand in bottles...or maybe not at all.
    I don't recall seeing Weihenstephaner on draft in Munich proper, although I'm certain it's around somewhere. Getting to Freising is easy enough, though. It's right off the S-Bahn and actually isn't that far from their airport. Ditto with Aying and Andechs (Herrsching).

6. Slam_Dunkels

How great would it be if Weihenstephan opened up in central Munich? They must have considered it at some stage?

7. patto1ro

patto1ro Defender (617) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands
    Subscriber

That and the Augustiner Keller. I have a really soft spot for Nürnberger Bratwurstglöckl, too.

bullseyebill and einhorn like this.
  8. Domingo

Subscriber Beer Trader

You would think so. Most of the other regional places have one now. Ayinger, Andechs, Tegernsee, Schneider, Kaltenberg, etc.
    Even the ones that don't tend to have restaurants that carry their stuff. I don't know if I've seen any that have Weihenstephaner sign in Munich proper. That's actually one reason we tend to always make the trek to Freising...beyond their really nice biergarten.

9. einhorn

einhorn Aspirant (292) Nov 3, 2005 California
    Beer Trader

I think it needs to be mentioned that if you have any inkling of decent weather while in Munich, you should head straight to a Biergarten of your choice. Get a beer, an Obatzta, clean your glass with a toilet brush and talk politics with the locals.

[​IMG]

seanyfo, danfue, boddhitree and 2 others like this.
  10. BeerBeerBeer

Thank you everyone, and what about buying merchandise in the city? Brands like Paulaner and Weihenstephan.

11. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,005) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Industry Beer Trader

Augustiner Helles and Edelstoff can be found in every supermarket, gas station, and kiosk for 50 Euro cents a half-liter bottle. What more do you need? ;)

12. Slam_Dunkels

I thought by merchandise we were talking about glasses and t-shirts etc?

13. herrburgess

Industry Beer Trader

Oops. You may be correct there. Had my mind hyperfocused on actual beer for some reason....

14. Slam_Dunkels

Well just in case I will answer as such..
    Never really go inside any Paulaner places but I am sure they will have stuff at the brewery on in a pub.
    Weihenstephan is likely a no.
    You can get some nice stuff at Der Pschorr near Viktualienmarkt and from Augustiner, I got a Krug from there, it's one of my favourite things to drink from.

15. Gutes_Bier

True story, Augustiner Helles and Edelstoff are both €1,05 plus Pfand per single 500 ml bottle at my local Getränkemarkt. :eek:

Something with that Helles finally clicked with me and I've been buying it up of late.

herrburgess likes this.
  16. papagobrewing

papagobrewing Initiate (19) Sep 8, 2009 Arizona

Actually, at the bottle shop at Weihenstephan they have an extensive merchandise shop. For a really nice beer stein though there is an antique stein dealer on the back side of the Marienplatz called Antiquitäten Im Rathaus where you can get a hundred year old stein for about 100 euros. He has the super expensive ones on display, just ask him for the cheaper ones.

17. herrburgess

Industry Beer Trader

Am I the only one who obtained Masskruege primarily via five-finger discount? ;)

cu29 likes this.
  18. Slam_Dunkels

I think the OP just meant in Munich proper.
    The antique shop sounds interesting.
    Another place you can spend 100 euros on a drinking vessel is the Hofbrauhaus shop, they are not antique, just a rip off!

19. BeerBeerBeer

Ok, and can someone recommend a good beer store in Munich that will have a varaity of hefeweizens? Or maybe I can find everything in a big supermarket?

20. Gutes_Bier

What you should do is search "Getraenkemaerkte Muenchen" and find one that is near where you are staying. Hefeweizen is popular in Bavaria so I'm guessing any Getränkemart or "drink shop" will have a good variety. What they won't have (maybe) are some of Schneider's specialties like the Tap 4 or Tap 5. Those can still be kind of rare.

21. einhorn

einhorn Aspirant (292) Nov 3, 2005 California
    Beer Trader

Orterer is the largest chain in Munich.

22. BeerBeerBeer

Ok, thanks for the good information everyone!

23. cu29

cu29 Initiate (31) Sep 26, 2005 Wisconsin

Try to find a bottle of the Löwenbraü "Löwen Weisse". I was surprised at how good it was. Last I knew it could be found at the Kaufhof department store near the Marienplatz, in their basement beer/liquor dept. I think it would be worth the few minutes it would take to get it.

24. cu29

cu29 Initiate (31) Sep 26, 2005 Wisconsin

And.....why are you not going to Oktoberfest??

25. BeerBeerBeer

mainly because everything is much more expensive...

26. Domingo

Subscriber Beer Trader

Lowenweiss is kind of like Augustiner weiss. They're the "black sheep" of Munich weissbiers and they're almost never on tap. Even at their own branded halls and biergartens, they tend to have H-P or Franziskaner on tap instead.

27. Gutes_Bier

Bringing this thread back up as I am genuinely curious if OP found what he was looking for and/or had a good time in Munich. How 'bout it, BeerBeerBeer? How was the trip?

28. BeerBeerBeer

Thanks for asking, the trip was amazing, Munich is a beautiful city, beers and pubs flow like water, I drank Augustiner, Franziskaner, Paulaner, Weihenstephan, Konig Ludwig, Hofbrau and Kostritzer.

I've been to 2 beer halls - Augustiner and Hofbrauhaus - both blew my mind.

I visited Weihenstephan's brewery at Freising - was amazing.

City with great transportation, food, beers (of course), history and beautiful too, yet inexpensive,
    will definitely visit again sometime :)

Gutes_Bier, einhorn and herrburgess like this.
  29. Stahlsturm

Stahlsturm Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2005 Germany

München seemed inexpensive to you ? o_O

PancakeMcWaffles likes this.
  30. BeerBeerBeer

In comparison to Israel, yes - for example:

Normal sized pizza at a restaurant in Munich - 5~7 euros, while here it's 10~11 euros,
    0.5L beer at a restaurant in Munich - 3~4 euros, while here it's 6~8 euros.

So yeah, it's inexpensive :)

31. spartan1979

spartan1979 Aspirant (296) Dec 29, 2005 Missouri

And what more does one need than pizza and beer? :)

32. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,253) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

After 4 nights in Bamberg, Munich seemed as expensive as London.

33. BeerBeerBeer

Haha exactly :)

All I'm saying is that Tel Aviv is more expensive than Munich...

34. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,253) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

I got that. How does it compare in Tel Aviv to London or NYC?

35. BeerBeerBeer

I don't know about London, but Tel Aviv must be a bit more expensive than NYC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.