Including notes when adding a new beer

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by dukeandduke, Sep 21, 2018.

1. dukeandduke

dukeandduke Meyvn (1,246) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

When you enter a new beer, the form does not include adding notes / commercial descriptions, or at least not a method I am aware of. After the beer is added, you must submit a separate request to an administrator to add the commercial description of the beer released by the brewery.

Is the a possibility of considering adding a field to allow users to add the commercial description within the form adding a new beer? I would think this would be a win / win for posters and board administrators.

Thank you for considering.

2. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (3,102) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

This has been suggested before and I believe it has been considered. Not sure if why it hasn't happened.

3. Benish

Benish Meyvn (1,103) Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

Geez, I always wondered why I couldn't add the description of the beer (as labeled of course) to the description whenever I added a beer!

dukeandduke likes this.
  4. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,989) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I know I've suggested it at a couple points. It would make sense to have it be a field when adding a new beer. In the past Ive just been told to submit an update once the beer is added.

dukeandduke likes this.
  5. dukeandduke

dukeandduke Meyvn (1,246) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

Thanks for the responses. Perhaps the coding is easier leaving as is, but with the new website improvements perhaps this change is within a reasonable possibility of being implemented.

6. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (8,567) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

As one of the Site Editors that processes the update requests, I can say that the submitted updates for descriptions frequently require a little tweaking before being posted (spacing, capitalization, etc.). Also, we get several submissions a day that appear to be people's review of the beer not the commercial description.

Breweries that have "claimed" their place, can edit their own descriptions.

metter98, Chaz, rgordon and 11 others like this.
  7. REVZEB

REVZEB Poo-Bah (6,134) Mar 28, 2013 Illinois
    Society

Any chance we could add the notes section when Adding A Beer? Would streamline the process, thanks and cheers!

mikeinportc, FBarber, bbtkd and 2 others like this.
  8. Sludgeman

Sludgeman Poo-Bah (2,077) Aug 17, 2012 District of Columbia
    Society

Of course, as an optional entry.

REVZEB and beergoot like this.
  9. REVZEB

Society

Agreed, not every beer needs a note

KRug likes this.
  10. Todd

Todd Founder (5,904) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

It'd argue otherwise. Not only does it provide more information for consumers that is often not easy to find, but it helps with our search engine optimization (SEO).

Beer Tools > Suggest an Edit > Provide notes for consideration. Easy.

11. REVZEB

Society

Good to know about the seo! That being said I’m sticking to my guns that it being part of the “add a beer” process already would be even easier

TrojanRB likes this.
  12. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,546) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

While I understand the desire to streamline the process (obviously, I do!), having reviewed so many submitted notes, I'm rather glad it's not user-definable (without request), the way the other fields are when submitting a new beer. Sometimes the notes submitted aren't appropriate under the site guidelines, and are being added for the sake of having a note (although I agree with Todd that, if useful information is available, every beer could use a good note!).