Indiana Beer love

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by speedydd6, Feb 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drac86

drac86 Crusader (493) Jan 28, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

Pretty much the same reasons - the beer isn't good. The space is awesome and I wish that someone would take it over and make better beer. I think they survive because they are right downtown and are easily accessible to visitors... the other problem with that is it gives visitors to Indy a bad impression of our beer scene.

Also, and I can't speak firsthand about it, but I've heard independently from several other people deeper into the scene that the owner is a real jerk, and that makes me dislike the brewery even more.

dcall384, kiwifuz and mayorQuimby like this.
  2. drac86

drac86 Crusader (493) Jan 28, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

Yeah, I spaced St. Joe's, but it's a great space (it reminds me a lot of Taft's in Cincinnati), and the food is excellent. Most of their beer is kinda meh, but Confessional is a very solid option.

3. reefer_bob

reefer_bob Pundit (998) May 13, 2014 California
    Trader

Nor-Cal person checking in here. I'm in Indy 1-2 times a year, and have drank through quite a bit... I guess outside of a couple breweries, IN beer is just all around solid. Nothing amazing, just damned drinkable.

A couple specific thoughts:

3F: One of my all time favorites. Needs no further discussion
    18th St: I just can't get into their beers. They're ok, but I find the price point way too high, a lot of the beers are very average, and the attitude that i've gotten and seen just turns me off.
    Sun King: The brewery I love to hate and hate to love. Their normal shelf beers are just way too bland. I like to say they're brewed not to offend anyone. The KR stuff is typically fantastic. BA 666 was amazing, I love the Fistful series, GFJ is delicious. Their one offs are really tasty.
    Triton: I really enjoy their space, and enjoy their beers. Nothing amazing, just all around solid.
    Peoples: Again, all around solid, not a huge fan of their spot, but a couple of their IPAs are outstanding!
    Daredevil: Excellent spot, among the best pales and IPAs in the area.
    Fountian Square: Spot is boring, I've not had their beers in a while, but they were all nice. I liked their beer names.
    Metazoa: Nice beers, we got there with like 2 tour buses showed up. Guh.
    Flat 12: I very much enjoy their stouts, and beers in general. Solid Spot.
    Books and Brews: I enjoyed nothing here.
    Chilli Water: They have the hype, and awards, but I find their beer across the board to be very average. Nothing stands out, nothing amazing. I want to like them but can't.
    Upland: I enjoy their ales. Their sours physically hurt my body due to the high residual acids. Guh. Good food!
    Bier: A couple friends love their stuff, but I can't say I've had anything memorable.
    Scarlett Lane: I have had a couple horrible beers, a couple amazing beers here. Dig it!
    Black Acre: Very tasty beers, didn't care for the area it was in.
    Thr3e Wise Men: Great food, average beer.

ShaneP likes this.
  4. simonok

simonok Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2015 Massachusetts

From our distro:

Off Prem

-Payless Carmel
    -vine and spirits
    -parti Pak Liquors north

On premise:
    -Pint Room carmel
    -hopcat
    -Tick Tock

5. weirdbeer

weirdbeer Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2007 Indiana

Thanks for checking. Based upon your prior post I checked Parti-Pak, and they do have Heatwave. Probably still have a couple of 4 packs left. I always forget about Pari-Pak is also up north. I called one Payless in Carmel who said they didn't have it. Apparently, Hopcat doesn't keep their draft list up to date either as it wasn't listed yesterday.

6. ClemTiger0408

ClemTiger0408 Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2016 Indiana

It could just be not yet on tap at Hopcat

7. mayorQuimby

mayorQuimby Zealot (633) Jun 5, 2009 Tennessee
    Trader

The online tap list for Hopcat cannot be relied upon. I used to go there a lot based on their online representations and was burned multiple times.

8. speedydd6

speedydd6 Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2016 Indiana

Had a Heat Wave and Lucious Mounds tonight from Evil Czech. Wow!! So good!!

9. speedydd6

My brother and I are making the 2hr 45 min drive from Greencastle to Hammond to visit the 18th Street brewpub tomorrow.

10. speedydd6

Had Static Chipmunk from Evil Czech for the first time tonight; this brewery is on point!!

11. simonok

Cheers!

12. Andy1010

Andy1010 Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2016 Indiana

I'm a big fan of Quaff On! Brewing Company. Their common Necessity has replaced water in my diet, sooooo good!

13. Andy1010

Andy1010 Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2016 Indiana

Go to big woods in speedway(west side) it's on the corner of tenth and main

14. TheodorHerzl

TheodorHerzl Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2007 Indiana

I've been drinking a lot of lager for the last couple of years. The Race Day lager from Daredevil is pretty tasty. I really dig their beers and taproom.

TargaFlorio likes this.
  15. myersk27

myersk27 Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2011 Indiana

i've been frequenting daredevil recently. Almost ready to call them the best brewery in the city. definitely in the conversation. Love their versatility.

TheodorHerzl likes this.
  16. TheodorHerzl

TheodorHerzl Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2007 Indiana

I've been trying to stop in on Fridays when I can for a pint and some to go beer. The variations they are doing with the NEX have been really good. This Friday is a double dry hop version with mosaic.

17. TargaFlorio

TargaFlorio Pooh-Bah (2,187) Jul 3, 2012 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah Society

I tried 450 North's interpretation of a NE style IPA last night, "420 Juice". Still haven't had enough beers from that style to give it a complete evaluation. I'm a big Amarillo hops fan, so I enjoyed that aspect of it. Many of the 450 North beers I've had seem on the thin side, and this was no exception.

I was a bit surprised that it was being kept behind the counter at Parti Pak south. Never viewed their beers as "behind the counter" quality, but maybe its just because of the limited nature of the release.

18. simonok

Yeah, I don't think a lot of people, even brewers (myself included) have had enough NE style IPAs, basically the range within the style varies so much from Heady Topper style NEIPAs down through stuff like Monkish. The OG producers seems to contribute the haze as a by product of their process (dry hopping very early in fermentation) rather than, what most current brewers of the style do, which is 'bulk up on protein' and don't fine the beer.

We've been trying all these techniques, protein, dry hopping after 3 days, non floculating yeast etc I think we are fast approaching where we want to be for the styl

TargaFlorio likes this.
  19. fredmugs

fredmugs Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Deactivated

Taxman is a little south of Indy and they are having Death & Taxes day Saturday and I believe tickets are still available. They mainly focus on Belgian styles.

20. myersk27

myersk27 Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2011 Indiana

I was bummed to miss last weeks variant....hope to get in sometime this weekend for new one. Agree they have been really good!

TheodorHerzl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.