Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Indiana Beer love

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by speedydd6, Feb 4, 2017.

1. TargaFlorio

TargaFlorio Defender (611) Jul 3, 2012 Indiana

Zwanzigz pizza is really on point. Some of their beers can be hit and miss in my opinion, but I had their Vanilla Cinnamon Porter around the holidays and it was excellent.

2. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Disciple (324) Dec 31, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I have an office in SB, and I used to hit up Evil Czech regularly when I was in town. They are very much a mediocre brewery, which is why they haven't been brought up here. Chipmunk is one of their better offerings, but as you go through their lineup, you will find very mediocre to not-very-good beers.

However, the name Bigsby for a white stout is one of the best beer names ever. Kudos to them for that.

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  3. speedydd6

speedydd6 Initiate (114) Nov 5, 2016 Indiana

As much as I want to say 18th Street is over rated and over priced, Hunter is excellent. I had Rise of the Angels this weekend and it was terrific.

ditka311, mayorQuimby and CoeurdeLion like this.
  4. mayorQuimby

mayorQuimby Disciple (322) Jun 5, 2009 Tennessee
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Meant to jump in earlier and say the same...picked up a fresh 6-pk of Rise of the Angels this weekend in Indy. It was $12 and is tasting great.

CoeurdeLion likes this.
  5. CoeurdeLion

CoeurdeLion Initiate (34) Feb 9, 2016 Indiana
    Beer Trader

If any of the recent batch of Under Crown shows up down there, grab it too -- great beer and one of my favorite DIPAs.

ditka311 likes this.
  6. nw2571

nw2571 Initiate (119) Feb 26, 2017 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Columbus has a surprisingly vibrant craft beer scene. There are 4 brewpubs in town, Powerhouse, Zwanzigs, 450 North, and now Upland has opened a location. Not to mention several locations with good guest brew lists. It's worth a trip south on I-65 to explore.

7. CoeurdeLion

CoeurdeLion Initiate (34) Feb 9, 2016 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Also worth a mention that Bare Hands bombers are showing up in NWI now and are much more competitively priced than the 4 packs of cans -- I grabbed Orange Blossom Bee Hop and Honey Badger for $8.99 each and Citronic for $5.99 this past weekend. I know in terms of $ / oz it is similar or even more expensive than a four pack of cans at the prices that they charge -- but for some reason it doesn't feel like I'm getting bent over when I buy a $9 bomber like it does when I pay $20+ for a four pack of 16 oz cans LOL.

The Orange Blossom Bee Hop is absolutely spectacular BTW and well worth seeking out. It's also pretty dangerously drinkable for over 10%. Really been loving Bare Hands beers lately, but then I don't really mind too much paying extra for great beer.

BrandonK likes this.
  8. dcall384

dcall384 Disciple (345) Aug 9, 2011 Indiana

I did enjoy Metazoa when I went there. Beers were priced well, great space, and they donate a % of profits to animal charities.

TargaFlorio likes this.
  9. mychalg9

mychalg9 Champion (848) Apr 8, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Is the Crown Liquors at 71st and Georgetown any good? That seems to be the closest one to my hotel. Checked out Hopcat tonight and enjoyed it.

10. Becvar

Becvar Initiate (124) Jan 19, 2017 Indiana
    Beer Trader

No. They have a few things, but nothing extensive. That area in general isnt a good craft beer area, completely different market (more liquor based). So I'd also not even bother with the Big Red on 56th and Georgetown.

mychalg9 likes this.
  11. mikeat

mikeat Initiate (126) Jul 31, 2007 Indiana

Just a heads up for folks headed to Upland's Sour Fest this weekend: In addition to the Metazoa anniversary just around the corner from the event location, we'll be having what we're calling the April 1st Extravaganza down the street at Sun King.

We'll be doing hourly tapping of some new or one-time-only stuff that we're excited about.

That lineup:
    Coconut Bourbon Barrel Timmie Russian-Style Imperial Stout
    Margarita Pachanga Mexican-Style Lager
    Sour Velvet Fog Belgian-Style Belgian-Style Quadruple
    Randalled Alrye'd Alrye'd A’rye'd Rye IPA
    Magpie Barrel-Aged Wee Muckle Scottish-Style Wee Heavy
    Peanut Butter Ring of Dingle Irish-Style Stout

If nothing else, come out for the food from Black Metal BBQ (starting at noon). It's probably your best close option for something hearty before the festival.

DrippingI likes this.
  12. myersk27

myersk27 Aspirant (291) Oct 21, 2011 Indiana
    Beer Trader

best store would be Crown at 106th and Michigan in my opinion....I live near 71st and Georgetown and there is literally nothing in that whole NW side of town....

13. mychalg9

mychalg9 Champion (848) Apr 8, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Thank you both for the replies!

14. Becvar

Becvar Initiate (124) Jan 19, 2017 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Have you checked out the Payless in Zionsville? (the bigger one outside of the little historic area). That one is just as good, and they get everything too.

15. DrippingI

DrippingI Aspirant (215) Apr 12, 2012 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Well. these sound interesting (as well as the BBQ). You by chance know what you'll have at Funk Fest too?

16. mikeat

mikeat Initiate (126) Jul 31, 2007 Indiana

Sour Velvet Fog Belgian Quad (this thing is ridiculous)
    Razzleblaster Busey (different blend this year)
    Cherry Busey
    The Afterparty (sour ale aged over apricots and tangerines)

DrippingI likes this.
  17. myersk27

Beer Trader

I haven't....but I don't get up that way very much.

18. DrippingI

Beer Trader

That Afterparty sounds pretty interesting. Thanks for the info! I'll now make sure to stop at their booth at the fest.

19. ClemTiger0408

ClemTiger0408 Initiate (118) Feb 23, 2016 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I had Honey Badger this weekend at BoomBozz and it blew me away. I am kind of surprised more people aren't talking about it. Now I need to figure out what stores in the northern Indy suburbs carry Bare Hands!

20. ChiCubs78

ChiCubs78 Disciple (301) Jan 2, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

As in Clayton Bigsby. I see what they did there.

mbockstruck30 likes this.
  21. mayorQuimby

mayorQuimby Disciple (322) Jun 5, 2009 Tennessee
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Always a bunch in the fridge at Vine and Table. In my mind the hype isn't huge because you don't see their beers on tap often and in stores their pricing is through the roof.

TheodorHerzl likes this.
  22. DrippingI

Beer Trader

You don't see many people talking about Honey Badger (or even most Bare Hands stuff) is because of price point. Honey Badger is around $22/4pk and even for their basic Pale Ale 574 is $15/4pk. Their prices are getting better as their Thai.P.A. went from $18.99/4pk to $14.99. but they're still too high.

Plus, because people pass on their stuff due to price point, it all ends up sitting there for too long. So, by the time someone buys some, it'll be too old (they don't date their stuff for some reason) and they'll get a bad opinion of the brewery.

23. chrismattlin

chrismattlin Defender (622) May 10, 2014 Ohio

Question for you fine Hoosiers:
    My go-to bottle shop just across the state line (for me) in Lawrenceburg just started receiving 18th Street. They got about 5 different SKUs and two of them were Hunter in bombers @ $16, and Vanilla Hunter in 16oz 4 packs @ $14.50. So my question is, what's up with that? Am I overlooking something?

I ended up grabbing the Vanilla Hunter, 'cause that only makes sense, right? I was thinking the bomber had to be barrel-aged, and I would've gotten that if so, but I'll be damned if it said anything like that on the bottle.

Thanks in advance for anyone's input.

BrandonK likes this.
  24. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Meyvn (1,227) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

None were barrel aged.

And you made the right choice.

25. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Meyvn (1,480) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I could be wrong, but I think it has been a really long time since 18th Street bottled Hunter. They have shifted the series, somewhat, to cans.

chrismattlin likes this.
  26. myersk27

Beer Trader

Most Crown locations have Bare Hands stuff....I know the Crown at main st. and 31 in carmel does as does the Crown at 106th and Michigan....

27. DrippingI

Beer Trader

Anyone here going to Sour Wild Funk Fest tomorrow? If so, if you see a guy with longish blond hair, a beard, and a grey/brown work shirt, feel free to say hey.

28. TargaFlorio

I had your post bouncing around in my mind when I was shopping for a mixed six pack last week. Was in the mood for some different IPAs, grabbed a can of Westy and then remembered your post. Couldn't justify spending the money for a couple cans that may not be fresh. Ended up getting a few different things including a can of Rip Cord (with a proper date on the bottom of the can).

DrippingI likes this.
  29. BrandonK

BrandonK Initiate (39) Jul 15, 2012 Indiana
    Beer Trader

That looks like a double price error of sorts. I live in NWI and the going rate for each is about $14 for the Bomber and $20+ for a 4-pack of Hunter Vanilla. I made the same assumption about the bomber possibly being Barrel aged since the price difference doesn't really make sense. But like someone else said, Hunter Vanilla for 15 bones a 4-pack?! All day for sure.

chrismattlin likes this.
  30. BrandonK

BrandonK Initiate (39) Jul 15, 2012 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I live pretty close to Bare Hands and I agree with you. I'll pay extra for their stuff because I want them to succeed. They're the most legit brewery we have in South Bend, the rest are more or less restaurants that brew passable beer.

Good to hear the Orange Blossom Bee Hop is good as well. I bought the Blueberry Blossom Bee Hop when they released it and was pretty blown away by it.

31. ClemTiger0408

ClemTiger0408 Initiate (118) Feb 23, 2016 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Side note: I love how 18th St prints "Drink fresh" on the can but then doesn't stamp a date anywhere on the can.

32. chrismattlin

chrismattlin Defender (622) May 10, 2014 Ohio

Exactly why I passed on a few different Pale Ale 6ers I found (I remember seeing Candy Crushable, Jade, and maybe 1 other.). I made a rule for myself a few years ago: no purchases of Pale Ale, IPA, or DIPA unless there is some kind of date printed on the package. I will make exceptions however if I'm 100% sure it was brewed "recently".

GuyFawkes, FFFjunkie and mayorQuimby like this.
  33. JL45

JL45 Initiate (117) Jul 9, 2016 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Just left 18th st Hammond Pub with 2 fresh four packs of their version of a NE Ipa called Twisted Doom. I am digging their take on the juicy haze hype. Its crazy drinkable @ 7.5 abv.

CoeurdeLion likes this.
  34. speedydd6

speedydd6 Initiate (114) Nov 5, 2016 Indiana

I'm amazed that not ONE Indianapolis brewer has tackled the Northeastern IPA successfully. Unbelievable!! Indiana City failed miserably. Daredevil is getting close with their Experimental IPA's. But mostly a huge void in the market.

35. TargaFlorio

The Tap (Bloomington & Mass Ave) brewed one recently called "Industry Standard". I didn't love it, but I've never had another NE Style IPA to compare it with. One of the guys from Black Acre told me a few weeks ago that they're working on a small batch of one. (It may have even come out already, not sure.)

36. chewymangos

chewymangos Aspirant (283) Jun 12, 2014 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Noticed my local shop had bottles of 18th Street Imperial Blud for sale at $29.99 a bottle. Basically $10 more than they went for at the brewery back in February.

37. DrippingI

Beer Trader

Have you tried the one(s) at Black Circle?

38. simonok

simonok Initiate (108) Feb 15, 2015 Massachusetts

Thought I'd chime in here re: a few things mentioned about Evil Czech. Full disclousure, I'm the brewer.

Firstly the beer. We are now distributing as far south a Indy, with hope to expand down to Bloomington soon through our distribution company. Last week we just launched our beer in and around the Nashville TN area.

We experienced a lot of growing pains for the first few years we were open. Inexperienced brewers, a focus on making beer to please our restaurant customers rather than for beer drinkers and a general lack of direction for the brand.

As anyone who has tasted our beer over the years and continues to do so, will have noticed that we have really progressed in the last year or so, we have cut many beers from our line up, and added many news beers.

We have refocused our efforts when it comes to what beers we have out in distro, we went from having no IPAs in can and only canning medium abv beer to cutting most of them and releasing IPAs, DIPAs and other more interesting beers of varying ABVs.

I would urge anyone who hasn't tried our beer, or tried it in the past and was put off, to give it another go.

Now the nitty gritty!

The alleged sexual harassment: The viral facebook post (shared 8000 times) which caused a shit storm was eventually deleted by the poster, who went on to make another post telling the world how she had embellished many facts, (shared about 100 times) just not as juicy for the social media mob to latch onto. Full police reports were released, visibly showing her embellishments, and the difference between the official police report and what she posted on FB.

39. simonok

simonok Initiate (108) Feb 15, 2015 Massachusetts

Have you checked out Evil Czech's Nefarious Harbor available in draft, or Heatwave Pale Ale, in cans. Both available in and around Indy

40. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Meyvn (1,480) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

We need more Lusciuos Mounds in Northwest Indiana. ... That aside, I have enjoyed all I have had from you folks (which has largely been in the last year). I even wrote a few beer reviews. Cheers!

simonok likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.