Indianapolis breweries

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by shirtless_mike, Jul 10, 2020.

1. shirtless_mike

shirtless_mike Zealot (539) Aug 4, 2010 Indiana
    Trader

I've been a Deviate fan boy since they've opened and have made countless trips from Greenfield to the north side to load up. I've been of the opinion for years that they're the best game in town. I lean towards Daredevil when I want good German offerings but Deviate serves my ipa/scotch ale/adjunct needs.

I noticed Covid has claimed a handful of breweries like Brugge (we've been going there with the kids for frites for over 10 years), Central State (big fan of grabbing a sandwich at Goose and getting a pint at The Koelschip next door) and New Day (more of a meadery but was a big fan of grabbing a Breakfast Magpie after a stop at Kuma's).

Is there anyone else in the Indy area making beer worth seeking out? All of Indiana City's hazy IPA's taste the same, Taxman are okay but have never brewed a 'WOW' beer, and I don't care for 450 North's Hi-C kiddie water. Just want to see if there's a diamond in the city that I've missed out on.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  2. archiebunkerjr

archiebunkerjr Aspirant (210) Oct 25, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

Check out Ellison. They opened in Indianapolis sometime within the last year. They have their first location in East Lansing, MI and they are far and away the best brewery in the Lansing area. They do a great job with everything but especially their IPAs and stouts and especially their BA stouts.

ChicagoJ and shirtless_mike like this.
  3. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Poo-Bah (2,465) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

I was not aware Central State closed. I see plenty of their cans of the shelves in the Northern Indiana. Since their last social media posts were around the Superbowl, those cans must be super old.

chrismattlin and ChicagoJ like this.
  4. shirtless_mike

Trader

I attempted to stop at Ellison yesterday. Nice big empty parking lot out front blocked off to the public for Colts parking. Tried finding parking on side streets with no luck. It was unbelievably frustrating to have money in my pocket and a coned off empty parking lot preventing me from going in. Ended up going to Deviate. Maybe next time.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  5. archiebunkerjr

archiebunkerjr Aspirant (210) Oct 25, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

Call up Ellison and tell them your parking bullshit. That's messed up. They wouldn't be happy knowing that someone wants to visit them but can't due to parking.

shirtless_mike likes this.
  6. shirtless_mike

Trader

My wife and I ended up getting into Ellison yesterday for lunch. Beers were pretty good (enjoyed the Kolsch and imperial coffee Irish dry stout the most) but damn, the pizza was a great surprise. We'll definitely be taking the kids back before the place gets shut down because of all the covid horseshit going on.

I talked with the dude behind the bar about the parking and he said they were changing out the Parking Permit Required signs that day to eliminate the confusion. He also said that there's new ownership in control of the Colts parking lot and that they're in talks with them about working out some sort of deal to allow brewery parking in there.

All in all that was a good recommendation. Much appreciated, archie.

archiebunkerjr likes this.
  7. dcall384

dcall384 Aspirant (277) Aug 9, 2011 Indiana

Greenfield! That's where I reside. So random to see someone else from there. Have you tried wooden bear recently. I think they are trying to revamp their place and make new beers. I usually go to Triton too. I really like their new Star 19.

8. shirtless_mike

Trader

Oh, awesome! Definitely rare to see someone from around these parts posting here. I've never been a big fan of Wooden Bear as I've always felt they were barely a step above average homebrew. We used to frequent the place a few years ago when they allowed The Mug and Home Town Pizza to deliver. I stopped in a week ago when the Tyner Pond food truck was there and grabbed a bullet of their hazy ipa (forget the name) and thought it was okay.

I'm not real big into Scarlet Lane which is out in McCordsville but I love the Trax BBQ place that's connected to it. It's a good spot to get good smoked pulled pork with a beer. I just wish their IPA's were of higher quality (I do enjoy their Dorian stout series).

9. dcall384

I heard Trax is closed now. I was sad because I never got to try it. Have you tried Triton Brewery? They are no Deviate, but I like their beers and they do case pricing because of the pandemic.

10. shirtless_mike

Trader

Trax is back open. They've been doing Fri-Sun hours for the last month or so but I believe they're about to start opening back up through the week. I'm real picky about BBQ since I know my way around a smoker but they're definitely the best I've found in central Indy. My son was born at the end of June and I was too beat with the lack of sleep to babysit a brisket so I threw $130 at them on July 4th for their big family sized BBQ platter. Money well spent.

We used to go to Triton a lot years ago. They always had really good food trucks and the kids enjoyed the outdoor stuff they had going on. Not sure what happened but we just never make it out to the Lawrence area anymore. If Jockamo's is still open out there, we may have to grab a pizza and stop in for a pint.

11. shirtless_mike

Trader

Brugge in Broad Ripple was our most frequented brewery. They never really switched up the tap list or menu but we always had a comfort level there and have watched our kids grow up there over the last decade. It was a real bummer to see them shut their doors.

Broad Ripple Brewpub still brews my favorite beer (drank many, many ESB's) but I've found dead moths in the last 2 pizza's that I ordered for carryout. Unfortunately, we're probably done with them.

Black Acre always has something good on tap over in Irvington. I haven't gone to the new beer garden yet.

Tax Man in Fortville is a good spot but I tend to like their waffles more than their beers.

12. dcall384

Good to hear about Trax! I will have to give them a try. Jockamo's is still open in Lawrence. I love their lasagna pizza!