Industrial Arts Brewing (2019)

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Samlover55, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Samlover55

Samlover55 Savant (997) Oct 8, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

GENERAL INFO
    55 W Railroad Ave #25 | Garnerville, NY 10923

We are brewers first, and proud of it. We take quality seriously and our focus is on producing fresh, expressive American beers. Our team brews these modern classics in a sprawling pre-Civil War industrial complex in the lower Hudson Valley of New York, striking a contrast between tradition and innovation.

Find us in the building with the smokestack.

THURSDAY & FRIDAY: 4-9

SATURDAY: 1-9

SUNDAY: 1-7

Current Lineup: http://www.industrialartsbrewing.com/on-tap/

FAQ
    Do you serve food?

We have small meat and cheese plates, as well as soft pretzels, but you are welcome to bring in food from your favorite spot to enjoy with our beer.

Can I bring my kids?

Sure thing!

Do you serve other alcohol?

We only serve our beer and do not allow outside alcohol to be consumed on the premises.

Do you offer tours?

Not yet, but our state of the art brew-house is set front and center in our beer hall.

Where do I park?

You can park anywhere that is marked as a space in the complex, but please do not park in the fire lanes.

Where can I find your beer by my house?

Click "find nearby" on the Find Our Beer tab to see what locations near you have updated their lists.

What are your to-go options?

We have a rotating selection of cans that are updated frequently on our On Tap Now tab. For beers that are not available in cans, we can fill a 32 oz. Crowler or bring your own growler.

Do you host private events?

Yes we do, see info here and email info@industrialartsbrewing.com for more details.

Do you take reservations?

We do not, but we have a few extra tables we can pull out to accommodate larger parties.

Can I buy a keg for my party?

Yes, see info here and email info@industrialartsbrewing.com for more details.

Do you have outdoor seating?

Not yet!

Who distributes your beer in my area?

We proudly self-distribute our beer in New York City and the lower Hudson Valley. We work with Remarkable Liquids through the rest of the state and Sarene Craft throughout New Jersey and Connecticut.

How do I keep up with what's going on at the brewery?

Check our Instagram and Facebook pages for the latest details, at this time we do not have a mailing list.

2. Dreamer57

Dreamer57 Initiate (146) Apr 13, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

Drinking a Power Tools now, yum!

cavedave and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  3. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,325) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Society Trader

4. Samlover55

Society Trader

Tucquan likes this.
  5. DEdesings57

DEdesings57 Zealot (529) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

I am very passionate about IAs and Wrench so this will be a long winded post.

I am a huge industrial arts fan and will continue to be one because they make excellent beer but I have some minor problems with Wrench recently.

First let me say that I have acquired and drank many 4-packs of wrench and I have always praised it for being consistently outstanding.

About a month or two ago I got a 4-pack(from store) and just didn't find the beer to pungent, bright or as intense I have known it to be. Still good but it seemed very tamed. It was under a month old at the time. I figured Ill let it go, no big deal really.

Then a couple days ago I found a TWO Day old 4-pack of wrench(at the store)! Was canned 12/28/18! I was astonished! Not only because how fresh it was but because my friend was just at IA(for pocket wrench) and found the freshest wrench to be 12/20/19 right at the source! Off course I bought the 4-pack of Wrench when I saw it.

Thanks to my friend I got my hands on some pocket wrench. That day I had Pocket Wrench first which was awesome then opened Wrench and was a little underwhelmed again. First I noticed the aroma was not really there, pocketwrench had better aroma, and I was shocked because it was so fresh. Then the taste was fine but just like before, it was not to the standards to which I remembered. Like I said before it was just more tamed and not as pungent or intense. I know for sure that something is definitely off with wrench. I have had my fair share of wrench in the past to know pretty much exactly what to expect from the brew and I just am not getting it with theses recent batches acquired at retail stores. Granted most of my wrench drinking in the past was acquired from the source.

Now I am beginning to wonder if the cans of Wrench that make it to distro are somehow different from the ones acquired on site. Like I said my date was 12/28, my friends was 12/20 so we both had different batches for sure. We both bought our beers within two days of each other, him from the source, and mine from the store. He seems to be fine with his batch of Wrench.

I also notice that I see alot more Wrench now then ever before and not hiding in the back either.

Has anyone experienced or herd of any issues with Wrench as of recently?

6. tinoynk

tinoynk Initiate (87) Sep 25, 2010 New York
    Trader

I had a couple cans last night (12/11 batch I think), and they were enjoyable enough, but definitely not as good as most batches I've had.

DEdesings57 likes this.
  7. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Poo-Bah (2,831) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

Yeah, I too have noticed a difference and I have picked up cans at shops and at the brewery. I would attribute it to the increase in production... there always seems to be some change resulting from this with just about any brewery I have seen make the move.

The good news is that the beer is still damn good and with time will probably return to what we knew.

One thing about the newer batches, there is a ton more peach flavor than I have ever gotten from an IPA.

DEdesings57 likes this.
  8. njcraftfan

njcraftfan Initiate (100) Dec 18, 2016 New Jersey

can't be contract brewing some batches, can they? (12/20 in house, 12/28 contracted outside for distro??)

DEdesings57 likes this.
  9. DEdesings57

Trader

Glad to know I am not alone! I knew for sure Wrench was off. I have to admit that when I saw that the canned on date was a day and a half old in a retail store, I kinda figured somethings up. To good to be true. And while not a bad beer by any means right now it just bothers me that it's off because I know how good it can and is suppose to be.

10. DEdesings57

Trader

Good question, not sure. I think they just scaled up production.

11. frozyn

frozyn Defender (630) May 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Scaling and associated recipe tweaks, plus a different hop crop, are both reasonable explanations for temporary changes. @DEdesings57 and @ONovoMexicano, please keep drinking Wrench repeatedly in the coming months to see if your experiences return to exultant. For science!

12. njcraftfan

njcraftfan Initiate (100) Dec 18, 2016 New Jersey

I've definitely seen similar comments on the NJ FB group

13. bryantc3

bryantc3 Initiate (171) Apr 12, 2017 New Jersey

Hops make sense. Isn't wrench citra forward? Kane's Sneakbox is also citra forward and that definitely seems to have changed the last few months too.

14. Xerlic

Xerlic Initiate (152) Aug 26, 2016 New York
    Trader

Anyone try Measure Twice yet?

15. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Poo-Bah (2,831) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

I don’t find the beer any worse, just different, for the record. It’s still very good and I prefer it at its price point over all the NYC IPAs.

DEdesings57 likes this.
  16. Vizualize

Vizualize Initiate (119) Jun 13, 2014 New York

I had a can from the 12/20 batch and the best way I could describe it is "watered down". Just seemed thinner and less amped .

DEdesings57 likes this.
  17. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (2,029) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

The last Wrench I had was canned on 12/3. I don’t drink it as much as you do, based on your comments, but it was impressed with the beer. It was better than any time I’ve had it on tap and the most memorable can of Wrench I’ve had.

Mrstiffington and DEdesings57 like this.
  18. DEdesings57

Trader

I knew I had remembered reading about IAs scaling up and producing alot more wrench. Now we know for sure the difference in quality is in regards to scaling up, no mention of contract brewing.

Mrstiffington likes this.
  19. IPAPolice

IPAPolice Initiate (79) Aug 30, 2016 New York

Yep, I enjoyed it. Wasn't extraordinarily different from Torque Wrench, but the spelt brings a variation.

The Ommesake is a great lager. So light and crushable. I will say that $16 for a 4-pack of a rice lager seemed a few bucks high. I'd expect more like $12-13. The margins they are making on their lagers are very impressive.

As far as the Wrench debate, I haven't bought cans since the end of Nov and mine were fine. I had it on draft Thursday and it tasted OG to me. Sorry to hear people are having negative variations. Hope it's an aberration. They are definitely not contract brewing. They are contract brewing for others even.

Xerlic and ONovoMexicano like this.
  20. DEdesings57

Trader

That's exactly how I felt about it. It would not have bothered me so much if I didn't have such high regards for the brew. Also it doesn't help that it's my second 4-pack that I have experienced issues with.

Mrstiffington likes this.
  21. DEdesings57

Trader

Just opened my last can of wrench, canned 12/28/18 in hopes that it would be better but no luck! In fact it comes off as worse then I remembered.

Strangely enough it pours and looks good BUT:
    There is Virtually no aroma at all and the taste is completely flat in terms of flavor and does indeed feel water downed.

Not a fan at all of this scaled up version of wrench. Its a damn shame because this was one of my most well respected and highly rated brews.

I can not afford to continue to by 4-packs of Wrench in hopes of landing on a great batch. I will instead keep on a look out for feedback and check this thread regularly for thoughts and feedback.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TheGent likes this.
  22. IGaveYouPower

IGaveYouPower Initiate (150) Dec 2, 2010 New York

Haven't had the most recent batch of Wrench but in having it tons of times before that it was never less than world-class.

And speaking of world-class -- Winter Landscape. I'd be hard-pressed to name you a better black lager I've had in my life.

cavedave, SammyJaxxxx and Rocktire like this.
  23. Xerlic

Trader

IA is kinda killing the lager game. Suarez is obviously tops and Carton has a nice lager too, but I can't just walk into my local shop and buy a 4 of Palatine or This Town like I can with Metric.

The timing of Ommekase's release was a bit weird. It would have been more appropriate as a summer beer in my opinion, but still a great beer nonetheless.

I haven't had wrench in a while, but it's super sad to see so many reports of recent batches not being up to snuff. I remember seeing similar complains on the NJ Let's Talk Craft Beer group.

24. IPAPolice

Ommekase would definitely be a summer crusher.

Xerlic likes this.
  25. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Zealot (563) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Society

Read quite a few glowing reviews before recently buying a couple cans of WL. I'm really looking forward to drinking them!

26. AD17

AD17 Savant (939) Nov 5, 2013 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I thought it was just me, this batch is completely underwhelming! Not at all the beer I recall and I’ve had plenty.

DEdesings57 likes this.
  27. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,603) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Considering how much I love Wrench, it looks like I picked a good time (mid Dec.) to start this dry out.

Sad to hear these reports about a drop in quality, hard to understand it, knowing how scrupulous Chief is about quality.

ColdOne and DEdesings57 like this.
  28. kthoag

kthoag Aspirant (295) May 21, 2012 New York
    Trader

I don't disagree that the last batch of Wrench seemed a bit less aromatic, no clue how much of that was influenced by you all though.

29. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Zealot (563) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Society

Samlover55, DEdesings57 and Xerlic like this.
  30. IPAPolice

Had a Wrench from 1/3 in a can and it tasted fine to me and no different from what I had on draft the day before. Would like to hear from others who had the questionable batch(es) when they try a more recent batch.

31. Samlover55

Society Trader

32. JG__

JG__ Initiate (52) Mar 26, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

Anyone know if IA is going to be open on MLK Day?

33. Xerlic

Trader

See Translation is fantastic. It's a shame they made so little of it.

34. Xerlic

Trader

I don't know why the embedded post says it's deleted, but IA is releasing a new Brut IPA tomorrow.

frozyn and TongoRad like this.
  35. SammyJaxxxx

Society Trader

36. SammyJaxxxx

Society Trader

Very odd
    The post is still on Instagram Not sure what is going on

frozyn likes this.
  37. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,650) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I'm really looking forward to this. Week 104 was so good, and it looks like they have a really good handle on how to make one.

cavedave and frozyn like this.
  38. frozyn

frozyn Defender (630) May 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Same, will be on the lookout for if it hits the city. I'm digging the clarity of it as well. I still think of Week 104 as the #1 or 2 Brut I've had and I like their take on it, which to me includes making sure a Brut IPA is not just a drier version of a NEIPA.

TongoRad likes this.