Infected bottles?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jkn09, Jul 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkn09

jkn09 Aspirant (275) Oct 17, 2012 Texas

I recently bottled a saison that had some white film on top before bottling. I did a lot of research online and determined that it probably wasn't pellicle, but I wasn't sure. Well, I just checked the bottles and there's a thin film on the top, and appears to be some larger pellicle-like bubbles on top. Am I destined for bottle bombs if I let the bottles continue to carb?

2. Lukass

Lukass Savant (989) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio

It is possible... hate to say it. It's happened to me before. Do ALL of the bottles have this film on the top, or just some? I had a batch where about 6 of my bottles became gushers. I would open one every few days, just to see how the pressure is developing inside. I waited a week after bottling once, and had a cap fly off like a champagne cork.

BUT, I'm not saying that your batch is ruined either. They could all be fine, but I'd play it safe if I were you and test a few of them out just to make sure. Good luck!

3. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (435) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

How long ago did you bottle? What was your finishing gravity on the beer before bottling? And what carb level were you looking for / how much sugar did you prime with? The reality is that there probably aren't a ton of extra sugars left in the beer to really crank up the pressure.
    That said, you should probably thing about putting them into a box or tub to contain the shards and mess if they do let go, and if you cool the beer down, it will slow down carbing.
    Have you tasted it since bottling? Any hints at bottling that something was off?

4. jkn09

All the bottles have it, as far as I can tell. It was only a 2 gallon batch. I bottled on Friday, FG was 1.009 (which was around 80% attenuation and my target). I primed with the same ratio I always have, and have never had problems before. I tasted at bottling, and it didn't taste funky/sour/musty. Just tasted good haha.

I'll try one tonight (for science, of course) and put the rest in a box to avoid any potential issues.

5. Cadmando18

Cadmando18 Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2015 Oregon

Yeah I'd say play it out if it's tasting good. Like you've already done, keep it in a place where if it does explode it doesn't make a real mess of things. Once it's done priming, stick it in the fridge for a week or so and then see how it goes. And of course... test regularly ... for science.

6. jkn09

Update for those who care: I chilled and sampled a bottle tonight. Not overcarbed (it's not even fully carbed yet to be honest), and no smell/taste of infection. Just tastes really good. I put the remaining bottles in a cooler and closed the lid just in case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.