Infected Bourbon County Barleywine 2015

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by CJ_VJ86, Jan 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VDubDJ

VDubDJ Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2011 Arizona

As in a previous comment I hope none of mine are infected, but this is promising to me if I do end up with a couple bad bottles. Thanks for sharing Mandark, and awesome username btw.

Mandark likes this.
  2. bowzer4birdie

bowzer4birdie Initiate (0) Aug 16, 2012 Illinois

I have opened multiple BW thus far and all have been world-class IMO. I will pay attention to the dates from this point forward, however, and report back accordingly here.

2beerdogs and Gemini6 like this.
  3. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,628) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

So on the supposition this was caused by cost cutting and sloppy QC(I don't agree), but where's the cost saving to be dumping tons of beer that retail for say $15 a bottle. Seems a foolish trade off on risk vs reward with a flagship BA stout line. IMO it's a shit happens kind of deal nothing more. If it was cost cutting he'd be fired. But staph infections are common in hospitals, they're obviously dangerous and hospitals go to great lengths with their infection control programs to minimize the risk , but still it happens.

4. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2010 Wisconsin

This one I can contribute too. Did a 2013-2015 vertical on Dec 27th didn't look at the bottle date or time stamp. But the 2015 bbbw showed no sign of infection and was as expected even compared along side two other years. So nothing out of the ordinary from any of my bottles so far.

pagriley likes this.
  5. ackeeper

ackeeper Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2008 Illinois

I do love to see the calm, measured responses, made when all evidence is in, that we have grown used to seeing here on B.A.

6. pagriley

pagriley Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2014 Illinois

Just cracked one of mine (28OCT15 1523 for those taking notes)

Exactly as expected - a little alcohol heat this fresh, but otherwise all the caramel, bourbon, dried fruits and sherry phenols I have come to expect of BCBBW. I had a vertical planned to compare 2013, 2014 and 2015, but I feel a cold coming on so I might just re-cap the bottle and enjoy this throughout the week.

I will say I think it is a little bit thinner and a touch less sweet than prior years, but I checked the ABV, and this year is about 1% higher than the prior 2 years, so I would expect it to loose some of the unctuousness with the higher alcohol. Frankly it is a good thing - some years it is so sweet out the gate that it needs 12 months in the bottle to settle down.

So far in the past month or so I have drunk 2 bottles of coffee (and had on tap), had Prop, Regal Rye, 3 or 4 regular and now this bottle of barleywine. All of them have been excellent, so whatever is causing the bad experiences for some people is certainly random and patchy... I am not discounting anyone's experiences, just sharing mine.

7. sculls65

sculls65 Aspirant (237) Dec 15, 2008 Michigan

I don't want to argue with a poohbah but comparing Shorts brewery,at that time, a mere rookie at bottling to goose island now, the so called pioneer of barrel aging seems a tad unfair.

8. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,977) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

I don't care who you are, you don't tell your customers they are wrong, then tell them it is our fault for not storing the beer right, and be in denial, before deciding oh well, too bad for you, but you were right. Bad customer service like that is what it is, no matter how big or small you are.

You have been here long enough to see which breweries have done the right thing, and I have been unlucky enough to experience it first hand, twice from Short's with two different beers, and I will never drink a Short's beer again. If ABI doesn't do right for folks I will never drink one of theirs again either.

JavaNoire, LeRose, 4truth and 5 others like this.
  9. nc41

Society Trader

Not to be contrary, but exactly what can ABI do here except do the study and fairly report on their findings? It seems so sparodic there's no way for them to compensate. As I asked before do they withhold cases in house just in case so they can research it? Seems they would have to for batch control to have any meaning. Maybe they can isolate it to date, batch, but anything more than admitting an issue not sure what else they can do.

10. cavedave

Society Trader

Money back, send checks.

11. pagriley

Damn straight - even if this is turns into a disaster and half of all the bourbon county eventually goes south my opinion depends entirely on how they choose to handle the situation.

They basically have 2 options to provide good customer service:
    • Offer refund (reasonable, but people will still bitch like hell)
      • I would guesstimate that 10% of the refunds they end up giving are to dicks who had a perfectly fine bottle but just wanted $13 back
    • Offer to replace bottles
      • I strongly doubt they would have held back anywhere near enough bottles to do this on any wide scale, so would have to be able to identify very specific bottling times and know for sure what the problem was
      • OR they could offer a coupon for a free bottle of next year's batch
      • Either way, I would guess 40-50% of the replacement bottles would be to dicks who just wanted a freebie and the bottle they drank was perfect. I doubt I could underestimate the douchebaggery that would ensue if they offered free replacement bottles...
    I do see one pretty big problem for them though which is that any solution they could offer that is genuinely going to solve the problem and replace bottles is going to leave them hugely exposed to douche bags looking to exploit the system and get something free...

Given this, they really don't have any option but to give refunds, and people are going to bitch like hell about how long they stood in line etc... Goose is in a tough spot. Also, people paid way more than recommended retail at some stores, which shouldn't be Goose Islands fault, but they will bitch too...

12. TboneRN

TboneRN Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2014 Minnesota

Has anyone contacted GI and received a response?

13. nc41

Society Trader

If they can isolate this to batch numbers would they ask the buyer to return the bottle as proof of purchase? Seems reasonable.

2beerdogs likes this.
  14. SteelersX

SteelersX Disciple (332) Jan 30, 2011 New York
    Trader

Mine are batch 1220 and are fine

15. pagriley

Yup - it would also be reasonable to ask people to return the bottle to the store they bought it at with a receipt for a refund so people got back what they paid, and Goose dealt with refunds with the help of their distributors and retailers... The beer traders would be screwed under this system, but it is perfectly normal for a lot of products. If the milk I buy at the store is off, I return it to the store, I don't call prairie farms and expect them to mail me a check...

16. mctizzz

mctizzz Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2010 California
    Deactivated

Source?

17. nc41

Society Trader

Seems reasonable. But I'm sure most couldn't produce a receipt, but might would be able produce the bottle. Should be good enough. Bring it to the retailer and then let the distributor handle it from there. At least locally the distributor is the one and only any retailer could facilitate the refund thru the distro guys. Given the price involved, seems like In Bev should support this.

2beerdogs likes this.
  18. nc41

Society Trader

If they can isolate it to batch then proof of purchase would be to surrender the bad bottles that are marked. Should make it easier.

19. pagriley

True, but you underestimate the douchiness of some people... and some stores... There was a place by me that was selling Coffee for $45 a bottle - I am damn sure they aren't going to take your word for it you bought it from them, but at least a dozen people did (or more if they had multiple cases). No idea how Goose is going to handle that - probably not at that level of epic gouge, but I am sure it happens.

20. pagriley

That would be the ideal certainly - that or just take people's word for it and eat the cost of douchiness.

21. nc41

Society Trader

Never
    Never considered this. But it costs the retailer zip, he's just the conduit between the consumer and the distributor. How GI figures replacement cost on a bottle of Coffee is lost on me, seems like prices are all over.

22. zach60614

zach60614 Initiate (0) May 1, 2012 Illinois

You aren't missing anything.

2beerdogs and croush like this.
  23. CJ_VJ86

CJ_VJ86 Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2014 Michigan

@TboneRN, I sent them an email asking if there has been any instances with BCBBW. They haven't responded yet. I can share if/when they do.

mhksuccess likes this.
  24. SlothB77

SlothB77 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2012 Virginia

I've had two barleywines and they both were up to par with the past two years. My coffee, OTOH, :confused:. I cracked both BW's within a week of purchase.

Could the new bottles be the sole cause?

25. Kinger86

Kinger86 Initiate (0) May 16, 2014 Maine

Just cracked Bottle 28Oct15 1836 and everything is fine; no sign of infection!

Gemini6 likes this.
  26. TboneRN

TboneRN Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2014 Minnesota

Ive never heard of bud being infected

2beerdogs likes this.
  27. abkayak

abkayak Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2013 New York

Wait did someone say free beer?
    Glad I didn't really like this stuff more then the regs in the past..I loaded up w/ that
    I bought 2 bttls had 1 and really liked it this year think ill go kill the other just outa my renewed curiosity

28. pagriley

Well if the store was gouging like crazy, they loose all their profit if they give refunds... I can't imagine that GI or the Distributor would give the store much more than a modest mark up on the wholesale cost for their trouble; they certainly wouldn't give them the retail price they were charging...

nc41 and abanton like this.
  29. Hootie159

Hootie159 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2014 Massachusetts

I went to one of the official releases where there was a rep from Goose Island. He said they lost 1/3 of their BW yield because the brett from Gillian jumped ship and infected it. Sounds like they underestimated the problem.

havron likes this.
  30. nc41

Society Trader

I was thinking the buyer would be out on this one. If you paid an inflated price that's on you, but GI would offer a refund/ rebate at a reasonable rate . Not the retailers fault, he didn't bug up the beer , the retailer didn't bend the arm of the buyer. He's a middle man, nothing to gain or lose. The losers are GI and the buyer who over paid as a worst case scenario.

31. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (466) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

Which beers from shorts? I had a woodmaster once that was infected.

Gemini6 likes this.
  32. pagriley

I completely agree. Totally reasonable. But I bet there is a vocal minority around here wouldnt be satisfied and would both like crazy...

33. cavedave

Society Trader

Key Lime Pie and Cup a Joe. As I recall there were some others also.

34. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,624) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Hell, I tear up my receipts (in the recycle bin of course:sunglasses:), particularly for expensive purchases like BC. My wife and I have a "Don't ask, don't tell" policy on the costs of big beers. But if she SEES a receipt....well that's different. Doghouse, here i come.:grimacing::grimacing:

35. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,624) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Might improve it...beechwood aged, and NOW with FUNK.

36. Awolter

Awolter Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2015 Minnesota

Opened a bottle dated "28/OCT/15 1608" and it was awfully sour, over carbonated and just downright undrinkable. What a shame. This has always been my favorite variant in the past.

37. XBeerBellyT

XBeerBellyT Initiate (86) May 11, 2015 Wisconsin
    Trader

Any info on regular bcbs infections as well? or just the variants?

38. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

Mine stamped "28/OCT/15 1220" No issues.

39. Erik-P

Erik-P Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2013 Canada (BC)

mine stamped 29/Oct/15 1626 had no issues, was fine. Have a second bottle cellared so we'll see if anythings happened to that one in the future!

40. stealth

stealth Zealot (543) Dec 16, 2011 Minnesota

Drinking 29oct15 0839 right now. Definitely infected. Had it fresh and had another bottle a few weeks ago that were OK. This one is definitely sour in comparison.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.