Infected IPA?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Beertsipper, Sep 10, 2019 at 12:45 PM.

1. Beertsipper

Beertsipper Disciple (395) Nov 18, 2008 New York

I tried doing a search on the topic, but came up with very little info. If I am posting this question in the wrong section, I apologize. Yesterday I purchased a variety pack from the Bronx Brewery. In it were three cans of their No Resolutions IPA. 7.6% abv. Although I've had it before, and is an average ipa, this tasted horrible. Completely different than what I remembered. No hop notes, no citrus notes... just an overall weird and unpleasant taste. Even smelled funny. It was packaged about 4 weeks ago, the beer is relatively fresh.

I've had other styles like SBPA's, SBDA's, stouts, etc. where the beer was infected. But never an IPA. Any thoughts from you guys? Thanks in advance..

2. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,634) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Does this quality remind you of artificial butter? It's very likely diacetyl, and that's the way it'll come across.

Barettes and Amendm like this.
  3. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,471) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Although hops are supposed to inhibit bacteria I suppose an IPA can become infected from wild yeast. I've never seen one that is, so I'd first guess that this is a poorly brewed beer.

Any great amount of sediment at the bottom of the can that might hint that your cans were filled at the end of the run?

Amendm likes this.
  4. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,939) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

It sounds to me like it might be a packaging problem. Perhaps the line wasn't completely emptied of sanitizer before they started to fill the bowl. I don't know. Odd.

PapaGoose03, spersichilli and Amendm like this.
  5. Amendm

Amendm Zealot (541) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

Contact the brewer.

bbtkd, dcotom, PapaGoose03 and 7 others like this.
  6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,128) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

@Amendm wins the gold star for his post above.

Based upon the details provided so far it would be difficult for any of us BAs to accurately troubleshoot this situation.

Cheers!

dcotom, PapaGoose03, cavedave and 4 others like this.
  7. Beertsipper

No butter like taste, no sediment. Now, I'm hesitant to drink the other beers in there. I bought it because they had a new sour IPA I wanted to try called High Top. They also have their Boom white IPA. Good suggestion about contacting them directly. I'm going to do that later today. Thanks for all the suggestions...

8. Justonemore91

Justonemore91 Aspirant (260) Nov 24, 2018 New York
    Society Trader

If you grew up in nyc you should know that nothing good comes from the bronx.. Only jennifer lopez cheers

Mattttt and BrewsOverHoes like this.
  9. Beertsipper

LOL. I disagree 100%

10. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,775) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

I would contact brewery and give them any info you have so they can look into this. Maybe you can score a free pack etc or nice glass for your efforts, sorry to hear you got a bummer batch of beer.
    Cheers and let us know what happens and if they work out something for you or tell you what the issue was?

Bitterbill and Beertsipper like this.
  11. Beertsipper

I contacted them and they were very generous with some free offerings, tickets to a brewfest, etc. but I refused them all. Probably just a bad batch, as everything else in the variety pack was quite good. I haven't tried the High Top sour IPA yet, but hopefully it drinks well. I always support my local breweries

12. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,838) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

But no explanation or request to send them the "bad" beer?

Why refuse an offer to replace/refund a defective product? And why "probably"? Did the brewery say or imply that?

Seems like, given that this is now a thread on a popular beer website, the brewery would want to make it right by you publicly and with an explanation. I know I'd probably pass on any Bronx Brewery product, regardless of the beer, in the future.

Bitterbill and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  13. Beertsipper

Yes, they requested the bad beer, and for me to even come to the brewery. I don't worry too much about these things. Beer is not a top priority in what's going on in my life. No one was hurt, no animal was hurt, and life goes on. Just wanted an opinion. I'm sure home brewers would have the best opinions, but it could be a simple packaging and transport problem. Ive experienced that in the past.

However, I move on. And will purchase beer from my favorite breweries from here on in, where I've had no issues. And that includes Gun Hill Brewery. Right smack in my 'hood.

14. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,838) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

Fine - you don't care about the bad beer (other than making a thread about it :wink:) or the money. But I would hope the brewery does.

Which was ____?

I don't know, I just find it strange how so many people just say "Bad batch" and move on. That doesn't happen to companies that put out defective products in a lot of other industries I'm guessing.

#14 jesskidden, Sep 10, 2019 at 7:07 PM
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019 at 7:14 PM
  15. Beertsipper

Yes, absolutely. I care enough to garner an opinion from you guys as to what could've gone wrong. I received opinions here, and I appreciate them. You didn't offer me one. The brewery was sincere and direct. I contacted them, and they got back to me within two hours and were very concerned. Everything is settled now.

Bitterbill likes this.
  16. pat61

pat61 Poo-Bah (5,594) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Society

There are an infinite universe of things that can go wrong from the time a brewer conceives of a beer and it ends up in a glass in front of you, ready to drink. Without more information on what was wrong with the beer other than it tasted bad it is hard to diagnose the problem. It might help to start with the Beer Judge Certification Program Beer Fault list to try to characterize the problem. Look for it here: https://www.bjcp.org/docs/Beer_faults.pdf. This helps people here give better advice and helps the brewer address the problem. It is also important to know if the problem is something the brewer should have caught before the beer left the brewery or if the problem is something that happened between the brewery and your glass. Was the entire variety pack bad or was just one style bad or was it just one bottle or can? If it was a bottle, was it clear, green or brown? Was the packaging damaged?

Amendm likes this.
  17. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,783) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Sorry but how is it settled? Is the brewery calling out for recalls of this infected batch or is it carry on as usual? A sucker's gots to know.

Amendm, JackHorzempa, dcotom and 3 others like this.
  18. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,913) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I’ve only had trouble with one ipa and it happened to be a Two Hearted Ale I was having at the Pub. I was about ready to pour it and there was a large mass of white goo floating inside the beer. It looked like someone had rubbed one off into my beer. I showed the bartender, she shrugged and replaced it. No idea there.

Amendm likes this.