Infected Quadruple Big Bad Baptist

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by Snowcrash000, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,259) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

Any reports of infection with the 2018 release of Epic's Quadruple Big Bad Baptist? My Batch Number is 3955,with some unreadable letters in front.

Just tasted really tart, soapy and disgusting, had to drainpour it. I absolutely loved Big Bad Baptist and Big Bad Baptista and was really looking forward to this beer, which was a HUGE disappointment, obviously. Not sure if it really was infected or if it's just a case of being old and the combination of overdone rum barrel-aging and coconut being really offensive to me. Could be a case of oxidation as well, I guess... :slight_frown:

2. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,886) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I see a review of release #12 that mentioned infection. Is that the same one as yours?

3. SpaceOtter

SpaceOtter Initiate (32) Jan 8, 2015 Colorado

I bought 2 2018 Quadruple Barrel Baptists last year; the one I had fresh was great (hence why I bought a second one), the one I opened a month or two ago was totally infected, 2 swigs and drainpour. I warned my friend who was also holding a bottle, he opened his and reported infected as well. Definitely not just oxidation and age.

ECOBOOSTINST likes this.
  4. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (459) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Maybe another reason why people don’t think you should be aging beers like this?

5. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

Yup, says Release 12 on the bottle above the batch number(?) OEN#3955 :slight_frown:.

Did you contact Epic about it? Any chance of a replacement? Although I'm probably SOL here in Germany...

Well, if it's infected, which I'm fairly sure of by now, then that really doesn't have anything to do with "aging".

maximum12 and Bitterbill like this.
  6. Bitterbill

Society Trader

Should have mixed it with a very hoppy IPA. I did that with infected beers in the past.

FarmerTed likes this.
  7. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

Is there actually any way of contacting Epic at all except via telephone? I cannot find an email address or contact web form on their website at all...

8. ManBearPat

Point being- if it was ‘great’ fresh as @SpaceOtter had mentioned, but became a ‘drain pour’ a year later- maybe people should drink these barrel aged/adjunct heavy beers fresh to avoid this potential disappointment... Ie- didn’t seem infected fresh, exhibits infection later. Hopefully that clarified my previous statement :wink:

9. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,625) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Sometimes it takes time for those characteristics to show up. The infection was always there, but you might not be able to smell/taste anything for months if not longer. Obviously not your fault, but this happens more than anyone likes to admit.

10. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

These could have possibly been different batches though. And even if not, it's the brewery's responsibility to make sure their beer is not infected, not the customer's to drink it as fresh as possible, especially when it comes to beer that is generally well-suited to keeping around for a while.

Prager62 and Bitterbill like this.
  11. SpaceOtter

I did not. I thought about it, but it was a really busy time period and I never got around to it. And it's a few months later now, so I'll just chalk it up to something that happens occasionally. I even bought 4 of this year's barrel Baptist variants, so clearly I'm a forgiving bloke. Now if one of those has a problem, I'll be leery of Epic's barrel program going forward. Once is a mistake, two is a trend, for me at least.

12. SpaceOtter

I've probably had hundreds of barrel aged beers with a year or more on them, only had these issues with a handful or so of them. It happens, but it's pretty rare. I've also had plenty of beers I've drank fresh that had carbonation issues, diacetyl butter beers, or were just bad and ended up coating my drain (or given back to the waiter). It's the nature of the business we've chosen, there's gonna be some duds occasionally.

Bitterbill likes this.
  13. ManBearPat

Never tried to say the brewers shouldn’t be responsible.. sorry you guys got burned.

Just noting that these infections typically don’t show up immediately, and that may be a reason not to age these things in the future.

FarmerTed and Bitterbill like this.
  14. Freshlike1980

Freshlike1980 Initiate (59) Oct 27, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

So an infection on the brewers side is now the consumers fault? That’s some sound logic if I’ve ever heard it

PhilBallins likes this.
  15. flat_lander

flat_lander Zealot (578) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I had a bad Big Bad Baptist about a year ago. Never had a problem with a variant though. I had Quad Barrel last year. Enjoyed it, preferred the Triple Barrel from the year prior, and didn't buy another. Glad I didn't.

SFACRKnight and ECOBOOSTINST like this.
  16. ManBearPat

Reading comprehension = 100

m34josh, flowersjg and FarmerTed like this.
  17. Freshlike1980

Trader

Decided to pour my 2017 triple....right down the drain.

18. Onerandombeer

Onerandombeer Initiate (23) Nov 24, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Have a 2018 Quad barrel Release 7 that I'd been holding on to for a little while, I guess I'll throw it in the fridge and drink it this weekend and report back.

19. Dan_K

Dan_K Zealot (515) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

I had a heavily adjuncted stout last week that was severely carbonated, overly attenuated, and very odd tasting. Two swigs and a drain pour. I believe it had a diastaticus infection since this brewery uses a lot of saison yeast. I contacted them and they said "seems fine to us, drink fresh". It was less than 7 months old.

#19 Dan_K, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  20. Bitterbill

Society Trader

Imho, there's no need to drain pour infected beers. Mix them with a hoppy IPA and they become more than drinkable; not what you were hoping for but drinkable.

My experience? 2009 The Abyss.

21. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Aspirant (215) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois

:nauseated_face:

22. Domingo

Society

I prefer to just never age anything except lambics, wilds, and barleywines.
    Even with no actual infections, I hate the way most aged stouts anyway. I have no need for port wine, teriyaki, and old person's house flavor notes.

23. Bitterbill

Society Trader

So, you'd pass up on a vintage Thomas Hardy Ale at a reasonable price?

24. Domingo

Society

That's a Barleywine/Old Ale (no need to argue nuance), so I'd happily buy that one.

25. Freshlike1980

Trader

Just a heads up. My 2017 triple was a drain pour. Reached out to Epic via Facebook and they confirmed that my batch 3 was infected possibly by the elder Brett yeast.

26. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

At least you got a reply, although a pretty shitty one, which is still more than I ever got from Epic.

I contacted them via their festivals email address, the only one I could find on their website, and never got a reply. You'd think it couldn't be that hard to pass that email on.

So did you get a replacement or refund from them?

27. Schmittymack

Schmittymack Champion (807) Sep 3, 2008 Colorado
    Society Trader

That beer is actually more interesting than regular Abyss. I don't mix it with anything, just call it a tart Abyss. (c:

Bitterbill likes this.
  28. Freshlike1980

Trader

I used their Facebook page to message and they are sending a refund

29. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

I'm guessing you need a Facebook account to do that?

30. Freshlike1980

Trader

Ditto

31. Onerandombeer

Onerandombeer Initiate (23) Nov 24, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Release 7 still tasty. Not getting any infection/sour taste at all.

ManBearPat likes this.
  32. Prospero

Prospero Savant (956) Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Trader

a) At the time of sale, the beer was not spoiled and tasted as the brewer intended
    b) Beer is perishable whether pasteurized or not- it only takes time, if the consumer doesn't drink it fresh, the "risk" of it spoiling is on the consumer.
    c) Infection or oxidation are both spoiling, should oxidation be the brewer's fault too? I'd be rich if I demanded a refund for all the oxidized beer I've drank.
    d) 'Cellaring' (or not drinking within 3-6 months) more often than not ends up a failed experiment and should always be considered at the consumers risk.

Not the brewer's fault unless it's off-flavored immediately out the gate. (knowingly selling bad beer). Regardless EPIC is the size of brewery I'd expect them to do (& afford) lab tests before selling their BA stouts.

Yet another reason to use apps like BA & Untappd and review/rate beers to help people know what's good and what's gone bad.

33. Snowcrash000

Moderator Society Trader

At the time of sale, the beer was already infected, therefore it's the brewer's fault, no matter how long it takes for that infection to truly come out. This is especially true for an Imperial Stout, which is a style that is supposed to be suitable for keeping around.

And yes, oxidation is the brewer's fault as well, as it's usually a case of poor bottling/canning technique where too much oxygen is allowed into the beer at the time of filling. I've had IPAs that were completely undrinkable due to oxidation at 2-3 months old, how is this anything but the brewer's fault?

maximum12 and Bitterbill like this.
  34. ManBearPat

Yo, dawg... give our boi a break.. he’s just figuring out the whole ‘reading’ thing lol

Bitterbill likes this.
  35. Bitterbill

Society Trader

I have to agree with the statement that it was already infected. Shrugs.

ManBearPat likes this.
  36. ManBearPat

Totally.
    My whole point was that these problems could be avoided if people just drank things sooner.. our Ivy League buddy up there just wanted to assume that I was assigning blame.