1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Instagram Craft Beer Exploitation?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MerryTapster, Jan 31, 2019.

1. MerryTapster

MerryTapster Zealot (593) Mar 6, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Society

So first off I want to start by saying regardless, I have no problem with a beautiful woman, dressed sexy drinking a beer, but...are any of you noticing that a lot of instagram models seem to be exploiting crafter beer for the benefit of followers? I honestly doubt most of these people even know the beer they are drinking and probably are not even typing up the info in their posts.

This has been something that has been griping me for quite a while. So to all my beer guys and girls, what are your thoughts on this?

2. Milktoast75

Milktoast75 Devotee (427) Oct 27, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

I don’t follow any social media outlets so I have no idea what’s going on on Instagram. That said, I’m not clear on what you are asking. Are they using sex to sell beer and because of that (sex)we are not sure of the beer we are drinking or reviewing?
    Just wondering.

BrewsOverHoes, Zorro and mikeinportc like this.
  3. Celtics76

Celtics76 Defender (679) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

In the world of social media we can choose who we want to follow for the most part, so these accounts are irrelevant to me.

But it sure is silly seeing these skinny girls pretending to drink multiple DIPAs every day!

4. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,791) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

Putting Granny on speed-dial is my version of Instagram.

5. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (157) Feb 13, 2018 New York

To be fair, you are viewing the Instagram models, so you are very much part of the problem, more broadly, from a societal POV.

BuffaloBill12, dcotom and sculls65 like this.
  6. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,224) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

I asked my brother about this he does a lot of instagram surfing. He said that there are a lot of girls doing this but he doesn't follow them describing them as second tier.

7. MerryTapster

Society

I'm not following them. They just show up sometimes on hashtags I follow. I beer blog and just recenty started a YouTube channel so social media is a necessity.

8. islay

islay Aspirant (243) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota

I'm not familiar with that specific phenomenon, but craft beer, for the moment, is unmistakably trendy in pop culture. Consequently, a lot of people are feigning, exaggerating, or awkwardly attempting to force an interest in craft beer. As I've frequently stated previously in this forum, I strongly suspect that this is the primary reason that the most popular and highest-rated craft beers these days are designed to taste like some other familiar foodstuff (typically tropical fruit juice or a dessert good). That is, an overwhelming number of people who don't particularly care for the flavors historically associated with beer have nonetheless become consumers of the beverage because it is so hip, and craft beer is morphing significantly to suit their unrefined tastes. It will be very interesting to observe the fallout when craft beer inevitably loses its cool factor. I doubt the situation you've described will last for long, for better or for worse.

9. Maestro0708

Maestro0708 Aspirant (263) Feb 27, 2015 Kentucky

How do you know?

10. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,524) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Haha it was inevitable that this would happen, just as back in the day the "Swedish Bikini Team" etc. provided T & A accompaniment for pictures of beer. Nowadays there probably are men doing it too, since more women drink beer nowadays and gay is kinda mainstream. I don't remember any folks trying to make broad, reactive, pseudo intellectual statements about it, but I am sure there were those folks around back then.

BuffaloBill12 and mikeinportc like this.
  11. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (82) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

This isn't really new as a lot of women are aspiring models so they know men like beer and they want views to increase recognition of their "brand" so combine the two and viola. Have someone mule that 1pp bottle of Henna for a peek at something and watch out instagram, you get treated to a normal dose of sex sells beer sells sex sells beer ad infinitum. Or consider that some of the women are exhibitionists and genuinely love craft beer too. You'd have to ask each one their intentions I guess.

jhartley and mikeinportc like this.
  12. islay

Basic observation skills. I also personally know some social-media-obsessed young adults who in person will admit to having very little knowledge of or interest in craft beer and who couldn't be dragged kicking and screaming to a taproom a few years ago but who now are quick to post photos of themselves toasting their tulip glasses toward the camera (which they'll subsequently sip slowly and leave half-finished).

13. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Disciple (343) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

I love Instagram for the beer, food, and travel pics, but I have no idea what you're talking about.

lrend13, GOBLIN and GreenBayBA like this.
  14. Maestro0708

It seems unsafe to assume that people dont like what they say they like. Posting a photo on Instagram isn't that different from posting on WBAYDN.

ETA: finishing your beer and drinking it fast are not requirements for enjoyment. There are no rules.

15. Belial

Belial Initiate (121) Aug 9, 2005 Illinois

i dont know what youre talking about.... perhaps if you post some pictures of the sexy ladies drinking a beer i would have something to add to the conversation. so just go ahead and post the scantily clad women before my wife gets home please

16. islay

It's unsafe to assume that many people, especially those who enjoy social media, are image-conscious and prone to jumping on bandwagons? One can enjoy beer for the taste of beer and/or because of the social rewards for being part of the craft beer scene; there are multiple potential avenues toward maximizing utility.

Your "ETA" point is accurate in the abstract but inapplicable to the people I described, who drink beer reluctantly because they don't like the taste of it.

pjeagles likes this.
  17. Maestro0708

Indeed, i dont know these folks so i cant know for sure. That was kind of my point to begin with..

And sure, people jump on the craft bandwagon, but to stay and continue spending money (crafts not cheap) on something they dislike? If these folks are out there, surely they make up an insignificant percentage of us.

As far as the women OP is talking about... Well I cant figure out what the problem is there. But it seems similar to the treatment women get in other traditionally male dominated hobbies/communities.

Also let those young folks you know that i will gladly dispose of their nasty beer for them after theyre done taking their photos.

Cheers

BuffaloBill12 and DJturnstile like this.
  18. Troutbeerbum

Troutbeerbum Initiate (165) Dec 5, 2016 Maine

All social media is exploiting everything. It doesn't matter. Beer,sex, sports,fashion,outrage,politics as entertainment, misinformation
    whatever. It doesn't matter. It's marketing.
    What does matter, is if you are a sucker or not. Take a look around your homes. How much shit do you have vs. how much shit do you need or actually use? Someone,somehow, some way sold you on the idea that you had to have it.
    People have been buying into social media heavily for over a decade now, and they act like all of a sudden they have discovered a problem. How many breweries do you think would be open now if it wasn't for a social media platform? Probably less than half the current number.
    The only answer is to either give up social media, or just continue to willfully hand over every last detail of your life and habits to some sleazy billionaires.

19. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,524) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Exactly. You make the point, despite still failing to understand the point, that ascribing motives to people you don't know, people you dislike, people from a different age group, people with different experience, and people much different than yourself, is ridiculous.

jhartley, rightcoast7, Buck89 and 3 others like this.
  20. islay

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be." I.e., pull your head out of the sand, Dave. Most people, myself included, frequently make purchasing decisions and feign interest in various activities for social reasons (e.g., purchasing dress clothes to impress dates or higher-ups at the office or talking about sports they don't care about to fit in with casual acquaintances or coworkers). Also, you're confusing analysis and criticism for "dislike." I very much like some of the people I'm discussing, including friends and family; that doesn't mean they're not posers or at least aspirants (but not authentic enthusiasts) when it comes to craft beer. And, to be clear, "craft beer poser" is hardly a crime against humanity, just a common and influential phenomenon that is having a major impact on the craft beer market.

#20 islay, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    pjeagles and tzieser like this.
  21. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (150) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Correct me if I am wrong....but it seems like you are frustrated that beautiful women are objectifying craft beer? Is this real life? LOL I wonder where this fits on the women's rights agenda. "first we get the vote" then equal pay" "Oh wait" says Mildred, "lets hit those men where it really hurts- lets go after their silly beer"!

22. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Crusader (731) Nov 23, 2017 California
    Society Trader

Newsflash, beautiful women have been standing next to all sorts of things for decades to get you to look, draw attention, make a sale, etc. Car magazines, practically all conventions and trade shows, hell even The Price Is Right. Detailed product knowledge is generally not required or expected.

23. Highbrow

Highbrow Devotee (430) Jan 7, 2011 California
    Trader

no kidding. in my younger days "Instagram" meant your neighbor had pot plants growing in their backyard.

24. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,430) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I don't patronize Instagram much but beautiful women and beer go together like peas and carrots.

Look at some of the labels of beers in the past. Miss Rheingold, Penny on the Tennant's Lager cans..

GOBLIN and cavedave like this.
  25. rgordon

rgordon Savant (909) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

There is nothing new under the sun.

26. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,319) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Using beer to sell sex is....just so wrong. It's supposed to be the other way around. Are these gals less appealing than the beer?

Guess it can't be any worse than Elizabeth Warren cracking one while shooting a video, and she definitely needs the boost...

27. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (150) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Well that little gem just made my day!

28. rgordon

rgordon Savant (909) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Sorry. Anyway, I had the odd thought of having a beer with Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul. It is like a very strange dream....Actually that sounds like fun.

bbtkd likes this.
  29. Milktoast75

Milktoast75 Devotee (427) Oct 27, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

I am not a follower on an any social media not to be anti social media, it’s that I’m a private person and I don’t give a shit about what someone else thinks, feels or cares unless I ask them.
    islay’s post starts out poetically regard a man. Very nice. But when your very next line is “ Most people. . .” that’s when you lost me.
    You continue on with trying to describe, in detail, the flaws in most people. At one point in my life, perhaps, I was like that but now I’m in my early sixties and could give a flying fuck less about what people think about me in regards to what I wear, eat, think or even drink. The days of impress are over. It’s a great feeling.
    I very much enjoy BA because it’s beer before the social aspect. I respect that. If a person is posting for some social click gain, that’s well and good. But not here. Social media is not the real world.
    The generalizations made in your post are not fair nor accurate.

30. Loops

Loops Initiate (55) Feb 13, 2014 Missouri

I don't get it either but like you don't use social media.

31. ChugChugPass

ChugChugPass Initiate (55) Jun 16, 2017 Washington
    Trader

Doesn't bother me at all nor do I assume any given person doesn't know anything about the beer they are posting about. It's not like ever guy on Instagram is a sommelier.

32. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,360) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

Yep - evidently this is a real "thing" these days. I was reading a food trade rag article that one of the things people actually consider when consuming something nowadays is how they look and how the product looks as they consume it. Unfortunately I did not save the link, but it might show up again. Trade mags have a way of being repetitive. But it seems obviously social media driven with the whole "look at me" phenomenon.

tzieser, SFACRKnight and mambossa like this.
  33. ndepriest

ndepriest Aspirant (207) Feb 21, 2012 Georgia
    Trader

300 lb. man stands in line for 2 hours to buy swiss cake roll stout and joose bombs full of mercaptan and diacetyl.

300 lb. man posts pictures of his sugar water on instagram with 50 hashtags and rates sugar water 5 stars on untappd in hopes of trading local sugar water for sugar water from another state.

Healthy person posts picture of thing they enjoy.

300 lb. man: They're ruining beer!

34. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,779) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

It has been a real "thing" for some for a very long time in the realm of both food and beverage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_presentation

(Leads one to wonder if only the wealthy having affordable glassware back in the day, rather than stone or pewter mugs, had anything to do with the desirability of clarity in beer. :wink:)

BuffaloBill12 and Bigrock like this.
  35. MarshallBirdhouse

MarshallBirdhouse Devotee (430) Feb 19, 2013 South Carolina
    Trader

Most beer related things on Instagram in general are very cringey

36. LeRose

Society

Good question about the glassware. I drank a gruit last week that probably should have been in a horn rather than a clear glass! Very tasty in an herbal tea kinda way, if rather thin and watery, but I assume a pretty good example of the style. Ugly lookin' brew, though. In my review, I commented I could envision sitting around the fire wa-a-a-a-ay back in the day drinking copious volumes of a brew like it and sharing tales of valor and conquest.

I see the point about plating and the visual appeal of foods and beverages (I'm a Food Network junkie among my other bad habits :rolling_eyes:). So everything old is new again or was never old to begin with. I guess the modern take, while not directly a display of wealth or power, actually is a display of some sort of social status - look how hip I am.

This article was talking very specifically about packaged foods and tying intent to purchase to Instagram and the like. Made me think of some of the threads about buying beer due to spiffy labels/can art. It was beyond "hey...that package caught my eye, I think I'll try that stuff". It is about how the XYZ can/package (and I guess to some extent the actual contents?) looks on social media and how one looks while eating/drinking it and posting that selfie. So - while "looks good and pops" on the shelf has certainly always been a criteria, the added aspect of how it looks on Instagram et al tied to intent to purchase is something product and packaging designers are now apparently actively considering. It was interesting, and may have been buried in a grocery trade article which means I'm not likely to find it again.

The whole social media "look at me" concept is a very foreign idea to me, but... A lot of people here put quite a bit of effort into taking a beer picture (and I do appreciate those who can take a great photo - any good photo I take is quite by accident). Not exactly the same idea, but maybe bordering the neighborhood enough that it should not be such a seemingly strange idea.

Cheers!

beertunes, meefmoff, stevepat and 2 others like this.
  37. MerryTapster

Society

300lb man here, who wholeheartedly hates (enjoys drinking one occasionally), but hates what juice bombs have done to craft beer. We are now saturated with too many beers that taste identical and people are giving classic IPA's a 3 rating because the taste too bitter.

38. stevepat

stevepat Zealot (529) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

@LeRose , just so you know, gruit is literally the broadest style of beer there is. It literally just refers to beer that doesn't use hops. I've had rootbeer tasting gruits and lambic tasting gruits. Hard to find a representative of that style

LeRose likes this.
  39. stevepat

stevepat Zealot (529) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

Best drank on instagram out of a horn though for sure.

Hashtags of valor and conquest enhance the flavor

LeRose likes this.
  40. LeRose

Society

Thats what makes it fun! I have had more than I have reviewed and no two alike.

cavedave and stevepat like this.