Introducing Jester King 2016 SPON — Méthode Gueuze

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by thirdeye11, Oct 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wiingman

wiingman Initiate (0) Aug 22, 2013 Texas

Lottery doesn't minimize usage of mules. For a bottle release, people will just enter every possible mule they know into the lottery. Also, there are 10,000+ bottles. You don't need a lottery for 10,000 bottles.

nsheehan, Abbbp, cura and 1 other person like this.
  2. GreatStoutman

GreatStoutman Crusader (751) Jan 5, 2016 Texas
    Trader

Yeah, and the administrative task of organizing a lottery that big and then keeping track of everyone and dealing with people asking for exceptions etc seems like a completely unnecessary and unproductive undertaking for Jester King...

I feel like I'm in the middle of a brainstorming session where half the people aren't actually thinking about the feasibility or usefulness of their suggestions, and are just trying to come up with a novel idea. Which is fine in some cases, but this doesn't seem like one of them

nsheehan, donspublic and wiingman like this.
  3. zizouandyuki

zizouandyuki Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2015 Texas

Not sure how much work is involved on JK's end for this, but I like it.

4. kbenson

kbenson Initiate (110) Aug 15, 2012 Texas

If there really are 10,000 bottles of a single beer and they release several thousand with small (2 per person) limits, then I suspect you're right that a lottery wouldn't be necessary. But I'm not sure if I agree there are 10,000+ bottles. I read that there are 4 different blends, which I take to mean there are effectively 4 different beers. So that means it's more like 2,500 of each. If they're going to hold back some of each of those beers for onsite consumption, I'm guessing we'll wind up with maybe about 1,500 bottles each for to-go sales. I assume everyone will want to max out each blend so I think the lottery will be a lot smaller and not that hard to manage.

I also think you're wrong about he mules. You can only have a mule enter if they're willing to show up, so that will be a limitation. And if you're the 10th guy in line with 10 mules, they're all getting bottles. But in a lottery, those 10 guys may not all win and there's a better chance of spreading the beer around.

mig100 likes this.
  5. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2010 Texas

There are 7000 750ml bottles and 4500 375ml bottles.

6. kbenson

Does this mean they blended four beers or that they made four distinct blends using different percentages of the 3 beers typically blended in a gueuze?

7. starkmarvelo

Does it matter?

8. kbenson

Yes it does. Are there 11,000 bottles (aka a lot) or 11,000/4 bottles (aka not really that much of each).

nsheehan likes this.
  9. cura

cura Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2016 Texas

This is spot on. Lottery/reservation actually increases muling. The best deterrent to mules is making people wait in line. It's par for the course here, but that's not feasible for most people, and even if it is feasible very few people are willing to wait hours in line as a favor. I saw a poster here say that lines encourage mules, but I don't think that's true. A brutal line is the best defense you have against it. That's why long lines are the standard, they require a commitment that most "mules" simply cannot give. People who work a 9-5 are not going to give up an entire day of their weekend just because their friend in Wisconsin is screaming at them on Facebook to pick up a bottle.

I heard a lot of people saying at the AR release that it was fun, but they wouldn't do it again. That's important. Because...

What increases muling is no commitment. Like, I'm not originally from Austin, but if this was released in my hometown, I could have 30 people easily sign up for reservation/lottery. Either purely as a favor, or as an "I'll drive and buy you beer." If you do a reservation system, it's important to know that people with large families/friend bases will be able to secure 20-30 bottles depending on the timeframe allotment. And it'll be easy, that's the kicker. You'd have to charge for lottery tickets, all for charity, but probably like $20 a pop so that people would have to spend money to get their crew to all sign up. And at that point it's just gambling.

That, to me, seems more problematic than people bringing five or six friends to wait hours and hours in line as a favor. And I feel like that's a rare case. Not many people have friend bases who will do that and not want their own bottles. The grandma waiting in line for 3 hours is a myth. IDK where you guys are getting that. A significant other, ok yeah that's probably common, but if you go lottery/reservation, with this beer especially, you'll have locals hitting up everybody they know who wouldn't want a bottle for themselves.

I said I wouldn't post more and I did. I am sorry :slight_frown: But I stand by my original point: it'd be cool to have this beer last year round, but it'd be even cooler to just sell it all in a low stress environment. Any weekend at JK is full of people who are just there for the view and who were tipped off "check out this spot." It's awesome. That's why Aurelian Lure stuck around at 900 bottles despite the insane crowd on Saturday. Not everybody cares. This kind of release will always appeal to the diehards. It's best to recognize that, accept that, and cherish it. If bottles will be sold to go, the traditional route of long lines is the hardest to exploit. Sure, Mules will have to "win" the lottery, but if my chance is 30x yours, and I repeat it for three months or whatever, imagine 100 people doing that with no commitment or cost, and then ask yourself how that's going to work out for you?

If there is a lottery, there needs to be a cost to enter, all for charity, so that people can't just get all their friends to enter without donating hundreds of dollars, and out of staters can't just enter with no commitment because hey, they might be in Texas then, why not?

#89 cura, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    nsheehan and mightyk like this.
  10. WolfBrewer

WolfBrewer Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2015 Texas

No, it really doesn't. Even if the four blends of Spon are not identical as far as percentages go, they are all still being released as Spon 2016. There are ~11,000 bottles of Spon 2016.

#90 WolfBrewer, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    starkmarvelo likes this.
  11. rharper

rharper Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2007 Texas

Yes. I definitely miss this method.

12. jamescain

jamescain Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2009 Texas

I miss being able to walk up and buy a bottle of AR over a few weekends...

Texasfan549 likes this.
  13. greenspointexas

greenspointexas Meyvn (1,047) Jan 16, 2011 Texas

soooooooooooooo was the beer any good at Funk N Line fest?

14. jesterkingbeer

jesterkingbeer Aspirant (204) Jun 28, 2010 Texas

You obviously haven't been in four years.

nsheehan, UtisTheLaw, mwbbq and 7 others like this.
  15. jesterkingbeer

We did four blends and packaging runs of 2016 SPON -- Methode Gueuze. Each blend had virtually the same percentage of one year old, two year old, and three year old spontaneously fermented beer.

nsheehan, tx_beer_man, mwbbq and 2 others like this.
  16. jesterkingbeer

Again, I appreciate the feedback / advice. We're not going to do a lottery. I still need to figure out the specifics as you can tell, but we're going to put X bottles for sale starting on 11/18 at 4pm, which will be available while supplies last. And we're going to hold X bottles back for onsite. So far, I like the idea of taking those X onsite bottles and spreading them out over the next 51 weeks. So maybe there's something like 50 to 100 bottles available every weekend onsite while supplies last.

nsheehan, tx_beer_man, mwbbq and 8 others like this.
  17. jesterkingbeer

Yes, the four blends are all Methode Gueuze. The other spontaneous beers, which I'll share more info on in the future, will get their own release weekends sometime after 11/18.

tx_beer_man, mwbbq, Chadzero and 6 others like this.
  18. jrstar96

jrstar96 Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2016 Texas

Event was great, slight line for Spon and atrial, and at some points collective brewing, but all in all a great event and a great managed event this year.

WolfBrewer likes this.
  19. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,991) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

The Atrial release this year was perfect. I'd recommend something along those lines for the opening, and I'd probably keep back at least 2/3 of stock to see how it flows over December, January, February. If it's going fast, you can put more limits on it. If it's moving slow, you can open up limits.

Congrats on the achievement and good luck this winter on getting something going for 2017!

20. mph005

mph005 Initiate (161) Nov 25, 2013 Texas
    Trader

Really enjoyed drinking this at funk & sour. Thanks Jeff and crew for bringing out the bottles.

Very light, I guess I was expecting a sour bomb, but this is a nice drinking beer. I got 3 good pours without wait, and a few Atrial as well. The food was exceptional all around too.

Can't wait to drink some of that SPON Fruit next week at Shelton fest.

Irrenarzt and greenspointexas like this.
  21. jamescain

When you say three, two and over year old beer are you referring to the beer aging in the barrel for a full 365 days or by calendar year? In other words 2016 would be one year old beer?

In the past I did it with aging the beer I full year, but I think this time I might not wait as long and use the young beer to carbonate in the bottle.

22. Koshkin

Koshkin Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2014 Texas

Side note: Would love it if Jester King did a subscription model.

23. starkmarvelo

Man, BA has mellowed out. A comment like this would have sparked wildfire by now.

24. ElChuques

ElChuques Initiate (0) Oct 8, 2014 Arkansas

We have been broken. Now stay on topic, pleb!

F2brewers and WolfBrewer like this.
  25. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2009 Texas

If the plan is to have it available year round, you'd need to know how many you're wanting/able to sell each and every weekend of the year. If it's 50 bottles per day, per weekend, that's 7,800 of your 11,000 bottles which seems like a lot.

I suspect that people buying bottles to go, are more likely to want to buy 750's just for the aging of gueuze purposes, and ability to share it with others. If that's the case, maybe the majority of the 7,000 750's get released on 11/18 weekend with a structure like Atrial where it was 2/person per day, with 2,500 available Friday and Saturday, then 1,000 on Sunday. Then you can put back 1,000 for special events, festivals, or long term cellaring/aging.

Sell the 375's for on-premise consumption only, which gives you ~85 bottles per weekend. If you're somehow going through all 85 on every Friday (which seems unlikely) you may need to adjust the release schedule.

Just some off the cuff thoughts @jesterkingbeer

Cheers,
    Chad

26. GreatStoutman

GreatStoutman Crusader (751) Jan 5, 2016 Texas
    Trader

While accounting for on-site consumption, are you guys factoring in other bottles which might be available? I could see maybe selling 50-100 of these per weekend if that's the only item available, but if you've got other fruits and variants of spon then that might be more than you need.

27. jamescain

I could see going through 85 bottles quickly only for the first few weekends. After the novelty wears off and people that must have it first get their ticks it should sit longer. It's just like when they opened up an In N out burger in SA, line out the door for a month, then people realised it will always be there you don't need to rush to get it.

nsheehan and Abbbp like this.
  28. jesterkingbeer

We'll be announcing release details on Monday.

29. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2013 Texas

CAN'T WAIT - Bart Scott

30. zizouandyuki

Likewise!

31. zizouandyuki

32. Leftofthedial

Leftofthedial Devotee (403) Nov 17, 2011 California
    Trader

Sounds delicious and incredibly excited to try it. Love the way Jester King is holding back in-house bottles. Only thing that disappoints me is the price tag. Jester King is currently selling Boon Geuze, which is an awesome beer, for $12 for a 750ml. With my personal beer budget, it's simply hard for me to justify spending 3x as much for a Spon bottle.

Eddiehop likes this.
  33. INWarner413

INWarner413 Initiate (0) Mar 25, 2014 Texas

Then you should buy 3x Boon Geuze.

34. gtermi

gtermi Initiate (0) Apr 21, 2010 Texas

The bottle cost is steep, but if it somehow turns out anything like a Cantillon or Drie Fonteinen beer, then its well worth the price. IMO

35. michael78747

michael78747 Initiate (129) Jan 13, 2011 Texas
    Trader

The chances of that are slim. The price point is crazy. I really hope it doesn't sell out because then it just endorses the fact that we are willing to overpay for hype. Try the beer on tap before you waste your money. I think most will find it's not worth that price.

36. erushing

erushing Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2014 Texas

Is it though? If they put 10k bottles out with no limits, it would sell out the first weekend, maybe the first day. Most people will definitely not think it's worth the price, but you only need a few thousand beer nerds to think it is worth the price. And there are way more than that around. I'm not typically a person that throws around a supply and demand argument, but something like Atrial sells out immediately at a not-that-much-cheaper price point and this is something more unique and took much longer and more care to make. If you weren't expecting it to be at least $30, then I don't know what to say.

siege06nd and ToM4mAs like this.
  37. Dicers

Dicers Poo-Bah (1,754) Sep 2, 2012 Colorado
    Fest Crew Society Trader

Comparative to other gueuze style beers it is vastly the most expensive especially a non-fruited gueuze made in the traditional way.

38. jesterkingbeer

Regarding price point, this beer took us three years and nine months to make. I'm scared to do the math on how much money we lost tying up so much space and cooperage for so long.

39. icetrauma

icetrauma Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2004 Texas

No need to justify your price point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.