Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Iowa advice

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by elliott1184, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elliott1184

elliott1184 Mar 31, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I'm going to be traveling to the Spirit Lake area soon (from the Twin Cities). Any recommendations regarding beers I can find in Iowa that are not available in Minnesota? Any Prairie Bomb or Crooked Stave? My guess is that if either Prairie or crooked stave are available, that would be maybe Mason City? I'd definitely be willing to make a detour there if necessary.

Additionally, if anyone wants to meet up/hook me up with some Prairie Bomb, I could definitely bring some stuff with me..

Thanks!

2. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Jan 12, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

No advice for Northern Iowa beer selections, so I won't comment on the availability of either Prairie or Crooked Stave in Mason City, other than I wouldn't think so.

My suggestion (if you are the Twittering type) would be to send a tweet to @AbuNawasBev and ask where/if you can find any Prairie and/or Crooked Stave in that area, as he is the sold distributor for those beers in the state.

elliott1184 likes this.
  3. elliott1184

elliott1184 Mar 31, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Tweet sent; thanks!

4. Palsie

Palsie Jul 10, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

My brother lives in mason and he always has trouble finding the better beers up there. I would suggest hitting up lake time brewery in clear lake though.

5. jamal32

jamal32 Jul 31, 2008 Iowa
    Beer Trader

check out West O while you are in town. Give me a shout and I could possibly meet you for a pint

6. LordofTime25

LordofTime25 Oct 10, 2008 Iowa

I live near Algona and I have looked in Mason City & in the Iowa great lakes area. Neither has them yet, but that will change soon since the liqour stores are starting to actually take advice from craft beer drinkers here & Billie Jo's Bar & Grill in Algona is getting hooked up with Abu Nawas soon. Though not before you visit unfortunately.

I do recommend Lake Time Brewery in Clear Lake, Mason City Brewing in Mason City, & West O in West Okoboji.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe