Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Iowa Rumors?

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by mdwalsh, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrsandman35

Oh ya...I was anticipating twenty bucks when she told me they had it and asked if she should grab one. I'll give it a go, but man if this beer isn't an orgasmic experience, I am going to have a lot less nice things to say about Toppling Goliath at that price. Though in their defense it was $20 at the release, and my gf could be rounding up to 30 from say 28 (she just said holy cow its 30$!) so this could be more John's work than TGs, but either way. I doubt what I am about to taste will be worth 30$ per 22oz.

I don't much care for lagers, but I was rather underwhelmed by Dorothy's New World. However it was only $5.50.

2. BottleCaps80

Beer Trader

I don't think that is TG's price. That is John's price. So I guess any messages should be sent John's way. TG sells Assassin for $20.

Clarkee likes this.
  3. mattafett

I know how John's does their pricing, and they are not able/willing to mark up this type of stuff much. I expect them to make money, and am fine with it. One way to do brewery sales is to do what New Glarus does - Sell it for more in the brewery, and support your retail accounts, who are your bread and butter.

4. pepsican

Beer Trader

$28.99. We marked it up the same percentage as we do any other beer. I wouldn't get the pitchforks out just yet. They drove down here to hand deliver us one case, I'm sure that's not cheap with gas and man power. I'm happy to see it up on the shelves personally. Their Dorothy's Lager is pretty damn amazing and priced well at $6 a bomber, at least in my opinion.

5. mrsandman35

I don't even own a pitchfork to bring out! I figured it wasn't John's but just didn't know.

I do have a certain amount of admiration I guess for them having enough confidence in their product to price it that way and most of the reviews are sterling, it's just annoying to see we are getting to that point I think in craft beer where people are charging $25 and up for any barrel aged special release.

Also with regard to Dorothy's that's almost certainly more me than them. I have yet to find a lager I like from anyone, everything in the style just reminds me of many rough nights my freshman year of college.

6. bossfan23

Beer Trader

Kind of disappointing that TG did not drop off any Assassin at HyVee Wine and Spirits in Cedar Falls last night, just the bombers of Dororthy's. I've read here that earlier in the day yesterday, Des Moines got some of the extra bottles of Assassin. And then it appears today John's in Iowa City got it. But Cedar Falls, sandwiched between those two deliveries, got nothing. Any particular reason why we weren't on this lucky list?

Definitely would have bought some if it was available. Really wanted to make the release in Decorah last weekend but was unable to do so.

Too bad, I know that Cedar Falls was one of the earliest markets to get TG when they started up. I have been enjoying their beers for quite some time. Lots of loyal fans here, several bars/restaurants with them on tap. Seems like it was an intentional decision to skip over us if the delivery before us got a few Assassin bottles, the delivery after us got some, but we did not. Chalk one up in the loss column and hope for next time I suppose.

7. CLaBarre

Beer Trader

I'm guessing they didn't go to CF because its easier (less time) to get to Decorah than Iowa City and Des Moines last weekend.

8. mrsandman35

Ya I was curious to see if it would pop up anywhere else in the IC area but it doesn't seem to be. Props to them for even getting any out by hand from a limited release that they easily could have held the rest at the tap room reasoning that anyone in the close IA/MN/WI area could have come to the release.

I didn't plan on getting any as I was unable to go to the release, so I'm content with being able to give it a go, even with a slight upcharge for their extended efforts.

9. bossfan23

Beer Trader

Yeah, that is a decent point. Its still a pretty good drive from here, but yeah closer than the other two cities.

10. TgBC

Hopefully you'll believe me when I say we didn't try to skip over anyone. There were only so many cases to go out the door, and our original thoughts were that sending them out would make things easier for people who were unable to make the trip. We had concerns that people might think we skipped them over since we didn't have enough to make sure every account in each city, or even every city would get some, but we thought (wishfully hoped?) it would make more people happy this way.

We're unfortunately still waiting on our new brewhouse; this is way behind schedule, and so is our ability to supply more beer because of it. There are other areas we're wanting to send beer (Quad Cities is included, for anyone reading from there) and we're wanting to get more beers to places we're already at. A lot of time and effort is going in to all of this, it's everyone's support that really helps keep us going.

Cheers,
    Mike

11. mrsandman35

Well just finished mine off.

In all honesty I would say $28.99 is fair for this based on the going rate of the style in the market these days. It is a freaking delicious BA stout. May try to come about another!

12. Roudy1

Beer Trader

I don't get how people are complaining about $30 bucks when the only way to get this beer was in Decorah which is AT LEAST two hours from the major cities in this state so therefore you'd spend more than $10 on gas for a $20 beer...

BrettHead likes this.
  13. mattafett

The math is simple. KBS is $.4375 an ounce, BCBS is $.45483 an ounce, BCBSV is $.818, Rare is $1.818, Assassin is $.909 at the brewery, or $1.3177 at retail outlets. You can't figure cost to get the beer (driving, gas, time) in the equation. This is an accepted fact in the BA world. Plain and simple it is overpriced.

14. mrsandman35

Three Floyds gets away with much worse than this

15. bossfan23

Beer Trader

Its definitely understandable. We are fortunate to have you guys on tap at so many places around town (pseudoSue on tap at two of my fav bars in CF/Waterloo currently, Dorothys and G-Nugget at a couple others), and I WAS able to get some Naughty Temple a couple months back when we got our allotment here in CF.

The demand for your product certainly outweighs the supply at this point in time. Thanks for being so accessible to the BA community. Keep making awesome beers. Cheers!

16. huskermike12

Tilting at windmills. Small breweries can't produce and distribute beer (and make a profit) at the same price as much larger breweries. Good local restaurants can't sell me a double cheeseburger for $1.49 either. McDonald's can, but that doesn't mean I only buy cheeseburgers from McDonalds.

17. pepsican

Beer Trader

Off the record as a John's person on this one but....I don't really know how to respond to this post. As a person that enjoys drinking beer, I can easily figure cost to get the beer into the equation, I do it every day when making a selection and I hope everyone does. If you're trading the beer or just collecting it, then yes, I understand that cost is cost no matter what time/effort/gas/hotel room you've invested in the beer. I've traded on $ 4 $ since I started 300 some trades ago.

If you see this from a brewery standpoint and say "yeah, we could sell this at the brewery and make more money and use less resources but we'd like to hook up accounts we know will promote and sell our product as well as make it easy for out of towners to grab a fun beer..." you'd get what TG is trying to do. It's seriously a gesture I am happy to see. If you see this from John's standpoint and realize we will probably get calls about this daily for weeks after it sells out then you see why we don't want to sell it at our cost.

All of this talk about the beer and I didn't even grab one for myself. Hopefully we get pseudo sue bombers in stock soon so I can drown my sorrows in some damn good Iowa beer.

Chaz, youngac and BrettHead like this.
  18. BottleCaps80

Beer Trader

Big difference is that Founders and Goose Island are massive players in the craft beer world and have a huge distribution footprint. TG is basically still a small, DIY brewery and do almost all of their own distribution. Therefore, I have no issue with them charging more for bottles they have driven half way across the state themselves, so fans of their beers from Iowa couldn't make it to the release could enjoy it, than they charge at their taproom. Their own gas and mileage and employees time isn't free.

BrettHead likes this.
  19. youngac

Founders and Goose Island are far more established breweries with an established distribution. I think that makes a difference. They likely get a bigger break on raw materials due to the bulk they are buying as well. And the space used for barrel aging has been paid for already (maybe).

Kinda why Walmart has cheaper prices than your mom & pop stores. And your opinion is kinda why mom & pop stores go out of business and then everyone complains about having Walmarts all over the place.

Regardless, as with everything, it an individual decision as to what it is worth to you. I made the trip to the brewpub and I'm glad I did. And I spend more $ on TG partially because I think the people behind the product are terrific and deserve a shot at the big time.

20. BottleCaps80

Beer Trader

^^Here, here.

21. mattafett

I was told today that Okoboji Brewing Co. bought Great Rivers stolen canning line. Things that make you go hmnnnnnn..........

22. Bond111

Beer Trader

How does one go about trying to sell something like that....a trench coat with a canning line sewn into the coat, classified ads, Ebay?!?!?

23. BrettHead

Afaik, Okoboji is currently being brewed and canned at Great River. Although, I know the owner is/has been looking to build a brewhouse.

TheBushman likes this.
  24. mattafett

I don't know the facts, (hence the rumors thread), but the person who told me is extremely reputable, and would have some insight on this.

25. jkwikkel

I thought they had their own brewery now. I might have an empty can somewhere, I'll see what it says.

26. jkwikkel

Can says:

"Brewed and Canned by
    Okoboji Brewing Company, LLC
    3705 Highway 71
    Spirit Lake, IA 51360"

BrettHead likes this.
  27. TheSaboteur

Lager isn't a style.

Bocks

Dopplebock

Eisbock

Helles

Maibock

Marzen

Those are styles of lagers...among many others.

Just sayin'

dbossman likes this.
  28. mrsandman35

So then what the hell is a lager, a genre? The only craft "lagers" I've had would be lager of the lakes, oarsman, jinxproof, and now dorothys. None of them that I can think of further classified themselves on the bottle as being anything other than a lager. Taste is subjective, I haven't cared for any of em.

edit: oarsman is an ale, oops...still didn't stick out as memorable

29. mattafett

30. mrsandman35

Thanks for the info. Never took the time to read that list and doing so was certainly worthwhile! I still don't see how I am in the wrong for saying I, generally, haven't liked any lagers I have come across. It would seem to me, as with ales or stouts, there are substyles within a obviously more spanning style that pertains to how the beer is fermented and conditioned. I guess it seems similar to genus/species if you want to get biological about it. I admittedly don't know too much about the brewing process (trying to learn more each day!), so perhaps that is where the misunderstanding comes in.

31. tgchief

He is right folks...we have dropped prices when we moved from a 1/2 bbl system to a 10 bbl system, we will do the same as we grow.

When we get to 100,000 bbls a year, versus our current 1400, we will be able to fit into the budget of all, and all we will work to please.

Thank you for your support of VERY SMALL artisan craft IOWA BEER. If the price is too high for you don't buy it and bitch, just don't buy it.

redblacks75, Guzzi, je1129 and 6 others like this.
  32. SaulTBauls

Beer Trader

I wish TG concentrated more on being an IOWA BEER company. Something maybe more like Surly or New Glarus who work hard to take care of everyone in their state before branching out to other states (NG is Wisconsin only of course). I understand all companies want to grow, expand, and spread their delicious libations as far as they can, but it would be nice to know that you could pick up a bottle of Sue in any store/bar in Iowa instead of the select few TG picks out in Iowa and other states. Just my opinion of course. As far as beer coming out of Iowa, I really haven't had too many better than TG.

33. EdwardFortyHands

You should write and submit a business model.

34. GFG

GFG

You gotta remember, Iowa is a very limited state when it comes to population. My buddy is trying to open a brewery in North Dakota and I'm working to be a brewer for him. Minnesota is a state we'd want to branch out to right away because it borders us and has a large population. Same for Toppling Goliath. Madison is a HUGE drinking area. Business wise, what they're doing is a very good idea. If it makes you mad, so be it. You have to have a smart business plan in accordance with good beer to succeed in a business like this

35. SaulTBauls

Beer Trader

No, I understand completely. Perhaps I should have been more specific. I really don't think that its reasonable nor is it smart to attempt to get into every market in Iowa before branching out. I do, however, think it would be nice to see TG's availability rise in the major markets in Iowa (DM, CR, Waterloo...). I'm not mad by any means. I would just like better Iowa beer available in Iowa.

36. bennetj17

Subscriber Beer Trader

I thought this was a thread about Iowa rumors but apparently it's all Toppling Goliath. I am from Iowa and though I don't live there anymore I often travel back. I've been lucky to try a few their beers and man are they good. I even had a bottle of Naughty Temple and it was delightful. I think they are a brewery that is going to do no wrong. Be careful what you wish for though. If they get big and easier to find, it's not always for the best. To me it's almost better when stuff is limited because although you can't always get it, it's super fresh when you do. This applies to TG especially because they do so many IPA's. I could go for a Golden Nugget right about now...

37. bossfan23

Beer Trader

I think you are massively overestimating the size of Minnesota. Minnesota is the 21st most populous state in the US. Iowa is the 30th. Its not a drastic difference.

Outside of the Twin Cities, there aren't that many highly populated metros throughout Minnesota. Yes, the Twin Cities is a good deal bigger than Iowa's largest metro (Des Moines). But outside of the Twin Cities, it gets pretty light and dispersed. More so than in Iowa, actually.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ng/220px-Minnesota_population_map_cropped.png
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ulation_map.png/350px-Iowa_population_map.png

I think this could also be illustrated by the fact that Iowa has more major (Division 1) universities than Minnesota.

All I'm saying is, it definitely makes sense to expand into Minneapolis. But outside of there, and Rochester since it is so close, Iowa definitely has several good sized markets for them to tap throughout the state.

SaulTBauls likes this.
  38. pepsican

Beer Trader

We should have doom tomorrow, 2 cases total. Wish it was more but what can you do. No clue on retail pricing.

39. EdwardFortyHands

Yeah but when are you going to get TG bottles in?

BrettHead and bossfan23 like this.
  40. pepsican

Beer Trader

When they bring them. Might have to grab all of those for myself though ;)

BrettHead likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe