Iowa Rumors?

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by mdwalsh, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. printer1

printer1 Initiate (181) Aug 29, 2005 Iowa

I would agree with this. I tried a couple early on, and they were awful. Only being able to get bombers for 5 bucks or so, I've pretty much ignored them since.

2. Hawkharvs

Hawkharvs Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2012 Iowa

The Imperial Red from Madhouse was a pleasant surprise considering my low opinion of their other beers. It has a sweet, smokey flavor that really works.

3. JediMatt

JediMatt Initiate (81) Jun 18, 2010 Iowa

I really try to support local breweries, but I just haven't had anything from Madhouse that I have enjoyed. I haven't had the Hopburst, though. Here's hoping they keep trying to improve...

4. BrewddhistDrunk

BrewddhistDrunk Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 Iowa

i will cosign other posters here madhouse hopburst and templeton rye stout are both great beers. im pretty sure the hopburst is 7.99 for a 6er here in dm which is pretty damn good.

5. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Zealot (595) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Don't know if "great" is the word I would use to describe these beers, but they are better than average.

huskermike12 likes this.
  6. BrewddhistDrunk

haha srry didnt mean to misrepresent you there but i think they are great. i also had the maibock which was pretty decent though not my favorite style.

BottleCaps80 likes this.
  7. siouxbrew

siouxbrew Initiate (143) Nov 22, 2007 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Everyone needs to try Ghost Face Killah. Once.

Ristaccia, BrettHead and bditty187 like this.
  8. mdwalsh

mdwalsh Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2009 Iowa

Just a heads up, Mason City Brewing is now open in Mason City, Friday and Saturdays for now. The beer, while all standard styles for now, is pretty damn good. If that seems like a long drive for some people, note you can also snag Worth Brewing company in the neighborhood, and by this summer you should be able to grab Rustic Brew, Lake Time Brewing, and Maple City Brewing, plus we have a bar with 4 taps of TG always on. If you're going to be in the neighborhood let me know!

BuffaloBill, tgchief and BrettHead like this.
  9. BottleCaps80

Beer Trader

10. Roudy1

Roudy1 Aspirant (232) Sep 29, 2012 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Damn. That'd be awesome. Being able to grab a six pack of Sucks at any time would be awesome! I wonder how the breweries that entered the state in 2012 are doing? I always see a lot of Stone and especially Green Flash sitting on the shelf that is pushing expiration dates...just saw almost a case of Palate Wrecker this morning...I think in most markets there's no way Palate Wrecker is still around? Could be wrong.

11. pepsican

pepsican Aspirant (260) Nov 5, 2007 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Green flash isn't a huge mover here in Iowa City. Not that it's bad, but I'd take a guess that it isn't quite what the distributor had expected. I'm sure they will get better at keeping things more in date on future orders. Stone IPA on the other hand, has been flying off the shelf around here and so has their seasonals. I know Iowa City is a bit of an anomaly, but I think most of the big brands are coming in and choking out the space from the beer companies that don't really belong here to begin with.

12. JediMatt

Back Pocket sixers have landed in Des Moines. Saw them at lunch yesterday at the Urbandale Hy-Vee. I'm stopping to grab some tonight. :slight_smile:

BrewddhistDrunk likes this.
  13. CLaBarre

CLaBarre Aspirant (288) Feb 22, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

What are some of the good BackPocket beers - cant find much out there to help what is recommended? Wish i could mix and match those.

14. Roudy1

Beer Trader

The Penny Whistle is pretty good. I wouldn't be afraid to pick up a sixer of anything they have on the shelf...

15. BrettHead

BrettHead Devotee (479) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

Unfortunately that won't be possible as Sucks won't be a year-round sixer :-(

16. Roudy1

Beer Trader

Thought it was...my bad.

BrettHead likes this.
  17. BottleCaps80

Beer Trader

It will be a year round 32oz. bottle though. What do we call those? Atomic bombers?

18. JediMatt

I have had Backpocket's Helles Lager, their Hefeweizen and now last night I got their Wooden Nickel. Which they call a "Scottish Peated Lager". I thought it tasted similar to a scottish ale. Very tasty. And the other beers I've had of theirs have been great representations of the style.

19. jlpred55

jlpred55 Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2006 Iowa

Agreed. Backpocket does some nice lager work!

20. BrettHead

BrettHead Devotee (479) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

It will be a year-round 32oz though like BottleCaps80 said :-)

21. jimmyr78

jimmyr78 Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2013 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I'm heading to Des Moines next week to stay with the in-laws.

Hoping to get to El Bait Shop, but I'm also trying to find anything that isn't readily available here in St. Louis, MO. Seekabrew.com shows that IA has the breweries/distributors below that we can't get, but I'm only familiar with Toppling Goliath, Summit, and Millstream.

Any recommendations?

August Schell
    Brau Brothers [Limited]
    C.I.B.
    Empyrean
    Granite City (Um, no)
    Great River
    Hinterland
    Hook & Ladder
    Lost Coast
    Lucky Bucket
    Matt (Saranac)
    Millstream
    Peace Tree
    Sand Creek (Lilja's)
    Summit
    Toppling Goliath

22. BrewddhistDrunk

great river - hop a potamus and 483 pale are good, ive heard the redband stout is good too but i must have got a bad batch when i tried it

lost coast - 8 ball stout

millstream - iowa pale ales decent, back road stouts nice too

summit - saga and northern porter

toppling goliath - ive heard theyre all great but i know pseduosue and golden nugget for sure

also check out madhouse hopburst and templeton stout. backpocket wooden nickel as well.

23. dckepley

dckepley Aspirant (201) Aug 13, 2006 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Bigfoot finally made it to Ames. It's about time...only two months late.

24. Roudy1

Beer Trader

Get a growler of a Toppling Goliath beer or two.

Maybe the Madhouse Templeton Rye Stout.

Haven't heard many good things about C.I.B.

Summit Saga is nice.

25. Roudy1

Beer Trader

Any rumblings about when Founder's KBS and Doom will be hitting?

26. BottleCaps80

Beer Trader

First of all....definitely hit up El Bait Shop if you can and if you happen to have $40 burning a hole in your pocket, get a bottle of Naughty Temple from Toppling Goliath. El Bait is the only place with any left and although that is an insane price, it would be worth if you have extra money to blow! Also, hit up The Red Monk if you like Belgians.

August Schell - I'd highly recommend their new limited release Barleywine if you see it. Part of their "Stag" series.
    Brau Brothers - I like their peated scotch ale. Also, Rye Wine if great if you spot that. It's sold in 750ml bottles.
    Empyrean - I like their Scotch ale as well.
    Great River - as noted previously...HopAPotamus is good.
    Hinterland - their Saison is OK, but haven't been impressed with anything else.
    Lost Coast - I like the Indica IPA
    Millstream - John's Generation White is great. All their beers are solid, but nothing that is going to blow you away.
    Peace Tree - Hop Sutra and Blonde Fatale are great beers
    Summit - Definitely pick up some Saga IPA
    Toppling Goliath - just go to El Bait and drink their beers. Especially pseudoSue and Golden Nugget

Also...they Pleasant Hill Hy-Vee (and a few other places) has stuff from Jolly Pumpkin, Evil Twin, Stillwater, Anchorage Brewing, Pretty Things and Mikkeller...which aren't listed on Seekabrew.com. Not sure if you get those in Missouri or not?

BrettHead likes this.
  27. jkwikkel

jkwikkel Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2008 Iowa

Naughty Temple is still around? I'd pay $40, but the drive is so long. :open_mouth:

28. jjohnston884

jjohnston884 Initiate (145) Feb 22, 2007 Iowa
    Beer Trader

It's not worth the drive. Just pour a shot of rye whiskey in a mediocre ipa.

mattafett likes this.
  29. BottleCaps80

Beer Trader

Yeah...as of last Thursday, El Bait Shop had 6 bottles left. Apparently they got 2 cases to begin with. Not sure if they let you carry out bottles or if you have to drink it there though?

I don't think any beer is worth $40/22oz., but I paid $25 for mine and now wish I could have gotten another at that price.

Did you even have the beer? Tastes nothing like an IPA! If they didn't even tell anybody the base beer for this, nobody would even know it was an IPA. It was closer to Central Waters Barrel Aged Barleywine for taste and aroma. Tons of toffee, vanilla and butterscotch notes. Just a slightly bitter finish from the hops.

redblacks75 likes this.
  30. jjohnston884

Beer Trader

I have tried it twice now. Pawned the rest of my samples off on other folks at the bar. I don't understand the hype on this beer. Yeah it is very rare. But rare and good are very different. To each their own. Given it is better than CIB beers.

31. jkwikkel

jkwikkel Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2008 Iowa

Guess I won't feel too bad then, I've got plenty of CW BBBW. Would have been cool though.

32. Roudy1

Beer Trader

I don't think that Naughty Temple lived up to the hype. I thought it was a VERY good beer though. Toppling Goliath is still better than anything else in the state.

33. CLaBarre

Beer Trader

Just had some Brown Sugar from TG, thats good stuff. Really impressed with TG

34. jjohnston884

Beer Trader

Sounds like KBS late next week or the following Monday. At least in eastern Iowa

35. Roudy1

Beer Trader

How hard is it to grab? Comparable to BCBS? Hopslam?

36. jjohnston884

Beer Trader

First year kbs will be in Iowa. Not sure how much will be around. Parlor city is tapping a kef on April 1st

37. BottleCaps80

Beer Trader

Toppling Goliath posted this picture on their Facebook page this morning and said they are just putting the finishing touches on their bottling line. Stoked!

[​IMG]

cmannes, BrettHead, youngac and 4 others like this.
  38. CLaBarre

Beer Trader

Man, I can hardly wait to pick up some Sue and Assassin bottles. Love the Sue, never had the Assassin but I think I will like.

39. BottleCaps80

Beer Trader

And from a tweet today....it sounds like TG just kegged 25bbls of fresh Sue today as well! Looking forward to a few of those hopefully hitting the DSM market soon (El Bait). :slight_smile:

Guzzi and BrettHead like this.
  40. pepsican

pepsican Aspirant (260) Nov 5, 2007 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Should be on the shelf on April 2nd if you're in the Fleck area. We are getting 7 cases according to our rep.

BrettHead likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.