IPA craze: When will it be over?!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by slym, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Nick_isthatstillcool

Nick_isthatstillcool Disciple (351) Apr 28, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

What?

2. doppletheGOAT

doppletheGOAT Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2012 Texas

I've never had an IPA that tasted medicinal. IPA is not my favorite style but when you get one that has those tropical fruit notes like pineapple, orange and mango, you will think you've died and gone to heaven. They're magical beers, almost too good to be true... so I can understand the IPA craze.. some of them are "wonderful".

3. Stum-pub

Stum-pub Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2013 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

nevaaaaaaaaaaaaa

4. dennis3951

dennis3951 Crusader (746) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

People drink them because they like the way hop forward beers taste. I do also but I don't want the Hops to overpower everything else. The hop level of brews like SNPA and Anchor Liberty Ale are about all I need.

5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,971) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

Perhaps a better perspective to this topic is that US craft beer drinkers enjoy the varying flavor profiles that American style IPAs provide.

The flavors that American aroma hops can provide are:

· Citrus

· Fruity (sweet fruits, tropical fruits, etc.)

· Pine

· Spicy/Herbal

· Floral

· Woody

· Dank

· Vegetal

· Etc.

Centennial hops taste citrusy (e.g., grapefruit/orange) to my palate. Simcoe hops taste piney to my palate. Some other hops provide a dank quality. And on and on….

One of my favorite hop combinations that I personally like in a homebrewed beer is a combination of Amarillo & Simcoe; the combination of citrus and pine is very pleasing to me.

Cheers!

6. sprucetip

sprucetip Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2007 Alaska

H
    Here to stay I think

7. patpbr

patpbr Initiate (0) May 25, 2005 Ohio

Go to breweries and demand them to make a different beers, Tell them not to make what the people are spending the money on.

Homebrew.

8. halo3one

halo3one Crusader (771) Jun 6, 2014 Georgia
    Beer Trader

9. slym

slym Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2014 North Carolina

I am running low on popcorn...

*munches pretzles*

10. Cerebus

Cerebus Initiate (193) Jul 12, 2007 North Carolina

Or you could say IPAs are the like Marvel's dominance during the Silver Age, beginning with Fantastic Four #1. SNPA and California Common and the like could be considered the Golden Age. That's as far as I'm going to get in my dissertation, so I'll just end the analogy there.

slym likes this.
  11. slym

*thumbs up*

12. mactrail

mactrail Poo-Bah (7,357) Mar 24, 2009 Washington
    Beer Trader

When Keystone Ultra Light IPA is a big seller, the craze will definitely be over.

doppletheGOAT and slym like this.
  13. Treb0R

Treb0R Aspirant (232) Dec 12, 2012 Oregon

It's not a craze... It's evolution.

gin15 and mccorvey like this.
  14. Mit

Mit Initiate (0) Oct 25, 2005 Ontario (Canada)

That and the wheats have always been favourites of mine. I havent purchased an IPA in a while and have been exploring different beers. I anticipate going back to them in the fall though as the colder weather comes in.

15. chiefojibwa

chiefojibwa Initiate (0) May 19, 2009 Washington

ipas are good, people like them, and brewers brew them. because people like them. because they are good.

break the loop and they'll go away, i suppose.

mccorvey likes this.
  16. adam5454

adam5454 Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2013 Alabama

A year ago I felt similar to how you feel now. But my how have my eyes have opened. I would say of the three cases of beer in my "cellar" 85 percent are IPA's. I still buy other styles and still enjoy them. If I can get the variety of beer that I do in Alabama I'm sure you can too. Two of our local breweries puts out a lot of German/Belgian (Straight to Ale and Yellow hammer) style beers. But for right now IPA's own me.

Jai Alai is the first IPA that opened my eyes to how wonderful they could be. The second was Thomas Creek Up the Creek.

#256 adam5454, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
    Roxie_B likes this.
  17. Tsar_Riga

Tsar_Riga Poo-Bah (1,614) Sep 9, 2013 Indiana

If you don't like pine, grapefruit and citrus, I suppose the question might be, "why?" I love all three, and I think it is amazing that a beer can taste like that without being brewed with fruit or pine. Hops are amazing plants, and I love what brewers are getting out of them. Which is a slightly gussied up version of, "because it tastes good," really.

For what it's worth, I love stouts and porters that create chocolate and coffee flavors without either through the use of malts, and think they are amazing for much the same reason.

Both hops and malts make me happy.

18. mccorvey

mccorvey Disciple (343) Dec 3, 2013 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I don't really think the recent exploration of IPA's is a craze, by definition.

Tsar_Riga likes this.
  19. slym

For the umpteenth time, the point has been missed.

*sigh*

20. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (2,613) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Beer Trader

YARFF!

<No, that's not an abbreviation or some kind of shorthand - it's the actual noise my body made when I read that>

21. woemad

Beer Trader

For the most part I dig hoppy beers if they are well made and there's some kind of balance, even an unequal one. While I do sometimes get hop fatigue, and I'm not one of the ones reading this and thinking you are out to ban IPAs and I get what you are saying, I don't think it's a craze at this point - it's a characteristic of American craft beer, one that you just happen to not be entirely sympathetic to.

Chances are slim that there will be a significant step back from the chokehold hoppy beers have on American craft beer culture, but there's enough variety here that there's still going to be non-hoppy choices. Don't worry about it, just revel in your status as a dissident and drink beer you like.

slym likes this.
  22. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,592) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Supporter Subscriber

I think there is still room for growth in IPA. I'm not talking about black IPA, white IPA, etc., but just making reference to the explosion in the diversity of aroma hops that we are currently seeing. It used to be grapefruit aromas, but in the last 5 years or so, we see aroma hops with characters described as dank, lemony, grapey, blueberry, tropic fruit, melon, and more. I agree with the OP that sometimes hop bitterness gets out of hand (I typically avoid IIPAs because I find them too bitter and or too boozey), but I hope brewers continue to explore what hops can do for beers in the context of more balanced approaches.

23. JackHorzempa

Supporter

Peter, not only the new varieties of hops which constantly become available (I am on the lookout for Equinox hops which sound yummy from an NHC presentation) but also how they are used. It seems like the late hopping method is becoming more and more popular with craft breweries.

Cheers!

Jack

pweis909 likes this.
  24. woemad

Beer Trader

NHC stands for:
    Naval Historical Center(a real thing, but pretty odd in this context)?
    Nullified Horizontal Connection (hate it when that happens)?
    My own personal amusement aside, what is it? I'm genuinely interested.

And by late hopping method, are you referring to what I think of as dry-hopping? If so, I didn't think that was anything new or trendy, but then I live not more than a couple of hours from the Yakima Valley AKA Hopheaven.

25. JackHorzempa

Supporter

National Homebrewers Conference.

The Late Hopping Method that I mentioned is where the brewer adds all of the hops later in the boil (and dry hopping). Classically you would add some hops in the beginning of the boil for bittering and other hops toward the end of the boil for flavor/aroma (plus dry hoping for 'extra' aroma). The Late Hopping Method still provide some bitterness but the aspects of flavor/aroma are emphasized. For a person who enjoys hop flavor/aroma but isn't a big fan of bitterness, the Late Hopping Method achieves the beer they like.

Cheers!

P.S. More info here:http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.php

26. adam5454

Actually no. If there is a variety of beer for me to purchase, then there has to be a brewer making them. Put in a little leg work and you'll find that plenty of brewers are making lots of things besides IPA's.

27. slym

Add +1 to that Umpteenth time.

*facepalm*

28. adam5454

Never mind...I figured it out. Lagunitas a fairly popular brewery has over a hundred beers listed on this site. Only about thirty of those are IPA's.

29. aderousseau

aderousseau Initiate (78) Jun 22, 2008 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

I emailed Heady Topper. Terrible topic. IPAs are why most of us are here.

30. BrewAskew

BrewAskew Meyvn (1,444) Feb 28, 2002 Oklahoma

Who remember's the first wave of 1990's "microbreweries" and "brewpubs" (remember that term?)? Not all of them made IPAs, but there had damn well better have been some sort of "red" or "amber" ale or lager on their menu because back then, it was the American Amber, Pale Ale and Stout (or Porter) that ruled the brewhouse. Sure, you often saw the gateway Blonde Ale or Wheat beer or the special rotational India Pale Ale that was a hopped up version of their Pale that only "hopheads" enjoyed, but not nearly as intense as it is nowadays. Most thought it too bitter. I remember fondly a time when IPA was rotational and never "flagship". Then west coast brewers such as Stone stated taunting us with "you're not worthy" and then hop bitterness became a thing. I think the hop-forward IPA thing is here to stay, though. Just like craft beer in general. I do see room for malt-forward styles to become the next big thing and a hoppy-malty dichotomy much like to see with New York versus Chicago style pizza.

slym likes this.
  31. mcrago

mcrago Aspirant (281) Oct 6, 2012 Indiana

IMO, this post has been poorly timed as I consider summer to be "IPA Season". The only other seasons I care about are football season, and fall/winter which I dub "stout season".

32. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Zealot (511) Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

They'll be around for a while assuming we keep drinking them in large quantities. That said, brewers can get away with not having a great IPA in their lineup. Troegs only added Perpetual IPA to their lineup a few years ago. Before that they were doing just fine without an IPA.

slym likes this.
  33. bryreeves

bryreeves Initiate (0) Oct 25, 2012 Massachusetts

Let the consumer decide, but as certain hop varieties increase in use & scarcity & price, beer price points will also rise. I never thought people would pay $10 / pack for cigarettes or that we would see $4 / gallon gas... but here we are!

slym likes this.
  34. nicholasofcusa

nicholasofcusa Aspirant (223) Jan 14, 2006 Pennsylvania

This is one of the beers I bought a case of (in cans) a few days ago and it's never tasted so good. Much better than Nugget Nectar. Definitely the best beer in their regular lineup. They should add another IPA or two.

35. 19etz55

19etz55 Disciple (320) Aug 12, 2007 New Jersey

To stop the craze you need maybe something better. But what is better than super hopped very tasty brews? I took a break from IPA's for awhile but gladly went back to them. Went to a beer fest yesterday and IPA's were the highlight for me.

36. Hendry

Hendry Crusader (740) Mar 8, 2013 Vermont

Vermont may be the biggest culprit in much of the hype, drawing thousands upon thousands to the state all on a mission to wipe out the Lawson's,Alchemist, and now Fiddlehead off the shelves in the wink of an eye (as well as creating long lines at HF which ended up instituting a ridiculous 3 growler limit that you should feel blessed to get).

Now Lawson's most recent move is contract brewing at Two Roads in CT and calling it "Lawson's" beer,and charging virtually the same price as the hand crafted special bottles made in Vermont as well as the same price on draft for the "real" Lawson's beer. I love Lawson's beer,but a move like this, strictly motivated by money to create a placebo product, stinks on ice.
    All of this brought on by the (Vermont) IPA "craze" that is in full swing now with no apparent signs of slowing down any time soon.

37. John_Beeryman

John_Beeryman Defender (607) Jul 19, 2014 Virginia

What EagleTalon said. End of thread.

38. nicholasofcusa

nicholasofcusa Aspirant (223) Jan 14, 2006 Pennsylvania

I think the "gotta get the rare beer at any cost" or "must try everything" mentality is more responsible for this than the popularity of IPAs. The beers in question in this case just happen to be IPAs. Great IPAs are everywhere. I see no need to travel hundreds or thousands of miles and stand in line to try something that is likely no better than what can be obtained locally. My lone Heady Topper experience was rather disappointing. Thankfully it required absolutely no effort on my part, and was free, to boot.

39. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (3,783) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

I really don't know what the point of this thread is? The only thing that is a given...some breweries in America are making lots of IPA's. Why are they making IPA's? Because they want to...no that is not the point. Because people enjoy them...no that is not the point. It does not matter, there are lots of other styles to drink and purchase...no that is not the point.

Preemptive sigh.

40. Hendry

Hendry Crusader (740) Mar 8, 2013 Vermont

Great IPAs are everywhere, and the only time I buy Heady Topper anymore is for my trading friends that want it.

2ellas likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.