Is anyone else getting burnt out on IPAs?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cmiller4642, Aug 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Disciple (334) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

There's so many on the shelf and a lot of stores in my area just leave them sitting for months so it's hard to get a new fresh one because a lot of them are shelf turds.

I'm excited about all of the Oktoberfests and pumpkin beer showing up.

Scrapss, GOBLIN, LuskusDelph and 12 others like this.
  2. NYRunner

NYRunner Initiate (84) Nov 5, 2018 New York

Looking forward to my first pumpkin beer of the fall! Which do you think is the best?

GOBLIN, Genuine and seakayak like this.
  3. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (4,552) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Not well executed ones, no. That holds true for all styles, not just IPA’s. That’s why this site is so great, IMHO. It’s pretty easy for a beer nerd to do their due diligence and select an IPA (or any other style) that fits their palate.

4. bsp77

bsp77 Poo-Bah (2,405) Apr 27, 2008 Minnesota
    Society

There are a couple dozen great Minnesota IPAs available at all times, so I can usually find a few of them within a month or so of canning / bottling. So freshness is never an issue unless I only want a specific IPA.

That said, I do get burned out from time to time, and have spent much of the last month drinking German beers - Pilsners, Hefeweizens, Marzens, etc - and now I am ready for the hops again. In fact, I bought some 4-week old Surly Todd the Axe Man yesterday.

5. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Disciple (334) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

Dogfish Head Punkin Ale

I got a 6 as soon as it dropped

6. seakayak

seakayak Crusader (761) May 20, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

I lost my taste for higher-ABV IPAs this summer, so I have these on-hand: AAL (Solid Gold), Blonde Ale, Wild Ale, Hefeweizen, Oktoberfest, Schwarzbier, and a Gose - and Whole Hog pumpkin is on its way!

7. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (13,978) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I'd be lying if I said that I don't feel a little inundated by all of the IPAs on the market now, and especially when I go out to certain bars or breweries and find a heavy percentage of IPAs taking up the taps.

At the same time I'm not burnt out on IPAs, but I am getting tired of trying IPAs that just aren't that good, or are so similar to so many others (right now that's the tropical-citrus thing).

I AM BURNT OUT ON PUMPKIN ALES. I like them, I'm not a hater, but I'm just a little tired of them after so many years. I like to have one or two on hand for halloween, but that's it.

Oktoberfest, however, is my jam! I love Oktoberfest, even the Weisn versions. But I'm old school, I like all of the traditional styles.

#7 NeroFiddled, Aug 30, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  8. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (754) Mar 28, 2009 California

IPAs have been my favorite style for awhile and I drink a lot them but I also try to drink a variety of styles so I don’t get burnout. Just finished a keg of Gose and been drinking SN’s Oktoberfest most recently.

Scrapss, LuskusDelph, monkist and 3 others like this.
  9. WadeBridgman

WadeBridgman Aspirant (222) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Might be the minority opinion but I welcome all the new NE and milkshake IPAs out in the market right now because honestly drinking west coast after west coast did burn me out. There's so much new stuff out there it keeps the game interesting. But I'm a big Marzen and stout guy so I welcome the seasonal transition every year

lucius10, Lonestar9, Junior and 3 others like this.
  10. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (7,359) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

No. Sometimes I'm more in the mood for them than at other times (as I do like to mix things up a bit), but no, I've never gotten burnt out on IPA's.

I am burnt out on AAL's though. Back when I was in college (in the late 70's), it was all I/we drank (probably because that was pretty much all that was available). However, I can count on one hand how many times I've had an AAL in the past 30 years. Yep, I'm still burnt out on them.

dcotom, Junior, beersampler6 and 4 others like this.
  11. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Zealot (556) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

No.

Usually in the mood for Oktos and pumpkin ales this time of year, but currently I'm mostly craving IPAs.

12. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (3,001) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

If I drink too much of anything I'll get burned out on it. Even O'fests, although that usually takes 3 months and quite a few cases. Plus a mini keg. :sunglasses:

But overall I do like to keep a good variety in the house, and that still includes a 4-pack a week of fave IPAs. This way there's no real burn out tendency for anything.

13. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,824) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I am getting a bit tired of Juicy/Hazy IPAs but I am still a big fan of 'regular' (West Coast style) IPAs - I never get tired of them.

Cheers!

P.S. I am still 'on the fence' about Brut IPAs. I have only had one that I thought was brewed properly (Ommegang). Maybe this will soon become a non-issue if the Brut IPA sub-style dies off?

14. Amendm

Amendm Meyvn (1,120) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

Not so much burnt out as I drank IPA's for several years before I realized there were other styles hidden behind them.
    Still drink IPAs just not as much. 0 IPA reviews so far this month however I have 2 in the fridge. Only 2 last month.

seakayak likes this.
  15. pat61

pat61 Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota

16. Longhorn08

Longhorn08 Aspirant (285) Feb 4, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Any bottle shop worth it’s salt has a ton on styles on the shelf all the time. If all you see is IPAs find a new shop.

17. JimKal

JimKal Zealot (542) Jul 31, 2011 North Carolina

I liked how you defined the hazy IPA and I did like them at first but just don't get them anymore. I have returned to the West Coast and East Coast IPA styles ( I'm not really sure what the difference is between them). NB just re-released Ranger (in a variety pack). I prefer it to their Voodoo Ranger series and wish they would bring it back in a stand alone format. I, too, have tried the Brut IPAs but doesn't seem to fit my palate.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  18. rex_4539

rex_4539 Poo-Bah (2,974) Dec 20, 2014 Greece
    Society

Heeeeelllll no.

dcotom, lucius10, Amendm and 2 others like this.
  19. Mrstiffington

Mrstiffington Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2018 New Jersey

I definitely get burned out on IPAs every so often, even though I love them and drink more IPAs than any other style. I used to grab a lot of pumpkin and Oktoberfest styles every fall, and then I got sick of THEM. This fall though, I’m looking forward to getting back to the maltier beers again for a few months.

nc41 and seakayak like this.
  20. woodchipper

woodchipper Poo-Bah (1,593) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Almost burnt out on NEIPAs, but not quite. Longing for some "old school" West Coast IPAs, just haven't had the opportunity present itself. I'm easy though, on today's beer run I came home with only Oktoberests and Stouts.

Mrstiffington and seakayak like this.
  21. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I really limit my ipa consumption. If it’s not like a rated close to 100 beer and Uber fresh I just let it go. I get palate fatigue quickly so I won’t drink mediocre Ipas anymore just to drink one.

Amendm and ESHBG like this.
  22. nc41

Society Trader

Gotta move around on any style of you get buried.

Mrstiffington likes this.
  23. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,173) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

Nope, not getting burnt out on ribeye and shrimp cocktail too.

dcotom, Schempy, Amendm and 2 others like this.
  24. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Devotee (402) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Deactivated

No, because I never got heavily into them in the first place

Noah_Aimar likes this.
  25. nc41

Society Trader

Nope switch to prime rib and lobster, or grilled pork chops and scallops, lots of ways right there.

Amendm, Mrstiffington and jrnyc like this.
  26. VoxRationis

VoxRationis Poo-Bah (2,931) Dec 11, 2016 New York
    Society Trader

I well executed IPA is a joy forever.

27. nc41

Society Trader

My palates shifted so much over the years. But I’d love to have a 10 day old Headhunter right now. Or Bodhi.

28. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,103) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

I plan on burning out on fresh hops this next month or so and shift in to marzen and the like shortly after.

eppCOS likes this.
  29. 66jzmstr

66jzmstr Aspirant (242) Jul 17, 2005 Washington

I get burned out on IPAs ... until I drink my next one. :sunglasses:

But seriously, not too much. The pendulum is swinging away from hazy nor’easters to West Coast IPAs for me, though.

Most importantly, my favorite beer season is nearly upon us: festbiers and fresh/wet hops. Looking forward to filling the fridge!

BeerandFitness likes this.
  30. beersampler6

beersampler6 Poo-Bah (2,073) Apr 4, 2018 Michigan
    Society Trader

I like to alternate buying interesting new IPAs and imperial IPAs (my favorite style of beer) with big, heavy, rich imperial stouts (my second favorite style of beer). That adds enough variety for me.

31. Dandrewjohn

Dandrewjohn Initiate (140) Apr 13, 2013 Texas

Not getting burned out, just pickier.

LuskusDelph and Rocktire like this.
  32. nw2571

nw2571 Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2017 Indiana

I just bought (and am drinking) some 2 week old King Sue. Have some fresh Two Hearted, and waiting on even fresher Double Two Hearted (hopefully) next week. Not to mention all the wet hop beers which will soon be available.

So... No.

dcotom, LuskusDelph and JackHorzempa like this.
  33. ESHBG

ESHBG Devotee (453) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I got burned out on bitter, old-school IPAs so I took a break. I have been revisiting them but one or two and I am good for a bit again. DIPAs can sometimes be more my thing but the higher ABV has been keeping me away from them as of late.

Bigrock likes this.
  34. islay

islay Disciple (342) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota

I'm definitely not burnt out on properly bitter, non-juicy, non-cloying, not dumbed-down American IPAs; you know, the kind of beer that people meant when they said "IPA" in the United States from the 1980s or so until the early 2010s. In fact, I crave and miss them given what a small proportion of shelf space and tap lines they receive today -- and how hard they are to identify among the heaps of sugarmurk -- compared to a few years ago.

35. CheapHysterics

CheapHysterics Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

Burnt out on drinking the good ones? No.

Burnt out on going to the store and seeing 9 out of 10 new beers being some form of IPA? Definitely.

36. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,108) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Hmmm, I switch up styles constantly. I have at least four different styles a week. No burn out for me. Not IPA burnout or any other style. Highly recommend folks enjoy the golden age of beer styles in this country the same way I do while this amazing variety exists.

37. nw2571

Just tonight, I've had a pilsner, Marzen, and "hazy" IPA. I might even have a milk stout later if I'm not too tired. Times couldn't be better.

38. nw2571

I'd like to report that the milk stout is delicious. Hunter from 18th St, if you're curious.

cavedave likes this.
  39. einhorn

einhorn Aspirant (225) Nov 3, 2005 California

With so many different and high quality beers available, both domestic and imported, in most parts of the country, how is this even a question?

40. alucard6679

alucard6679 Aspirant (255) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

Definitely burnt out on Hazys...

Been looking for more good west coast style. Drinking a Dragoon IPA at the moment and I think it's one of the better AZ IPAs to actually have any kind of distribution. I'm not really a "let's go to breweries all the time and spend a shit load of money" kind of guy. Each their own.

I do love me some fall beers though (pumpkin beers I usually only have a couple and I'm good for the year, Southern Tier Pumking and DFH Punkin are old favorites but my craving is satisfied pretty quick). Been drinking a good amount of Abita Pecan Ale, stuff is so and so damn drinkable. Just a great nutty brown ale, not enough like that and only $7.99 a sixer.

But I love Oktoberfest beers, look forward to them all year. Especially Ayinger, Paulaner Marzen, Hofbrau, and Weihenstephaner. For something from the states I love Left Hand and Odell, been looking forward to trying every year's collab from Sierra Nevada and while I DID thoroughly enjoy this year's, I'd have to say I preferred last year's but that's just going off of memory so who the hell knows:rolling_eyes:

Anyway,
    Cheers, prost and all that jazz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.