Is Brut IPA a new beer style?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by leantom, Jun 27, 2018.

1. leantom

leantom Champion (819) Nov 20, 2011 Indiana

2. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Disciple (382) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

Every time some brewer farts next to a fermentation tank, it doesn't create a brand new style.

rozzom, Dweedlebug, tzieser and 18 others like this.
  3. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,944) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

Sure, I'll try it, I might even like it.

4. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,313) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

Not sure that's the source of the amylase enzyme used in the brewing industry, most breweries probably just buy it.

5. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Crusader (779) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

You made a funny.

6. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Crusader (798) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Trader

I really hope Brut IPAs take off, because they're awesome. Had one that had been aged in 3 different kinds of wine barrels for 9 months and then blended at a festival a few weeks ago and it was absolutely fantastic. One of the best IPAs I've had in a long time, great stuff.

7. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (407) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

This has been talked about for past 1-2 weeks on BA, I have yet to get a good "descriptor" for it. I assume "dry"... but what else? Fruity, piney?

Has anyone made a "By Faberge Brut IPA" yet?

gopens44, meefmoff, TonyLema1 and 3 others like this.
  8. Alexmc2

Alexmc2 Aspirant (239) Jul 29, 2006 Massachusetts

I was really interested when I read about this style... So I brewed a version of my own. Going to bottle this weekend and should know a week or two after that!

utopiajane, CrimeDog, pinyin and 3 others like this.
  9. Ranbot

Ranbot Zealot (531) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

I'm usually very jaded on new beer styles, which I think are usually marketing and inventing new names for the same old things, than actual changes to beer flavors. However, the brut IPA is a different process that makes a different flavor, so maybe this is something new...maybe. I haven't seen any brut IPAs around me, but I'm going to keep an eye out. Whether it warrants a new style not, I think it's an interesting counterpoint to the recent trend towards sweet dessert-like "milkshake" and lactose IPAs.

10. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

I don't think that adding amylase to lessen the body of a beer really qualifies it as innovative or a new style. I think Brut IPA is a sexy name for what should be called Light IPA.

I'll agree with you on that.

11. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,313) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

Likely few US-brewed "Brut IPA's" will follow that process...

12. Snowcrash000

Trader

But US brewers LOVE to age beer in barrels! Anyway, they can take it as inspiration for the next big thing after the Brut IPA: The Lambic IPA. You heard it here first.

13. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Zealot (513) Nov 23, 2017 California
    Trader

Yes, fruity and piney - the hoppity hop aroma and taste is certainly in the same vein as West Coast IPAs. The feel is entirely unique - a new level of ultra dry and clean, extremely little to no bitterness.

If NEIPA is considered a new style, then I think Brut IPA should get some consideration as a new style.

I've had a few different ones, loved all of them, and I'm definitely looking for more. Only thing I don't like is that they're priced like a NEIPA and not a WC-IPA.

14. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

Like this?

[​IMG]

SFACRKnight, Harrison8 and FBarber like this.
  15. Snowcrash000

Trader

Actually, more like this:

"Après les NEIPA, Black IPA, West Coast, East Coast, Fruit, Double, BRUT, il en manquait une! Dans la lignée de la Cuvée Saint-Gilloise, ce Lambic de 20 mois à été houblonnée à froid avec un mix de houblon Hallertau, Mosaic, Cascade, Simcoe et Sorachi pour apporter un bel équilibre entre l'acidité de la bière et le côté floral et fruité du houblon."

16. WhiteHart

WhiteHart Initiate (32) Apr 16, 2018 North Carolina

Oh for fuck's sake.

17. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,393) Sep 15, 2014 New York

I don't know yet if it should be considered a new style, but it's certainly a new approach to IPAs. I have yet to try an example, but I called it several weeks that it would become the next big thing.

18. beardown2489

beardown2489 Disciple (323) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

19. chrisjws

chrisjws Crusader (782) Dec 3, 2014 California
    Trader

I think it'd need to become ubiquitous before we can crown it as a new style. I'm loving the fuck out of some of the ones I've tried.

BayAreaJoe likes this.
  20. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Initiate (149) Aug 2, 2017 New Jersey

Can't wait for the next 500,000 "Brut IPA is California's answer to the NEIPA" articles I'm going to have to skip over :rolling_eyes:

21. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (267) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

I don't really know or care if they're a style, but I'd sure like to try some.

meefmoff, Hayden34 and BayAreaJoe like this.
  22. thuey

thuey Initiate (199) Nov 13, 2015 California

Being born and raised in San Francisco, I've tried 3 so far.

Cellarmaker Less than Zero
    Temescal / Cellarmaker / Social Three Cheers!
    Seven Stills Caviar Dreams

Loved them all, but they taste very different from IPAs. They are supposedly hopped heavily, but it doesn't come through on the taste as much as you'd think. Not necessarily a bad thing, though. It's really crisp and pleasant, as the new substyle is aiming for. Just know that they're not exciting beers, but (because of that?) they're so very drinkable.

cjgiant, DJturnstile and TongoRad like this.
  23. BirdsandHops

BirdsandHops Poo-Bah (2,259) Apr 14, 2008 North Carolina
    Premium

I've had 3 or 4 so far and haven't been particularly impressed by any of them. They've all seemed rather bland. We already have a style for more drinkable and less bitter IPAs--they're called pale ales.

24. patto1ro

patto1ro Zealot (515) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands

So it's basically an IPA with virtually no residual sugars? That sounds very much like 19th-century Bass:

OG 1065.63
    FG 1003.34
    ABV 8.06
    Apparent Attenuation 94.59%

Except made using the shortcut of enzymes rather than ageing.

25. marquis

marquis Crusader (744) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

IPA has appeared in many guises over the last couple of centuries But it began life as a barrel aged heavily hopped beer fermented to dryness (not to mention the subsequent action ofBrettanomyces)

SFACRKnight and AlcahueteJ like this.
  26. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Devotee (489) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

More, or less. The hops are used for flavor and aroma, and very little bitterness is desired. Like the namesake, it's highly carbonated, and goes into that realm of flavors. Very warm weather friendly drinking. If the starting gravity can come down a bit, that is.

27. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (1,999) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium

rudiecantfail likes this.
  28. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,569) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Would you equate what your calling a light IPA to a session IPA? I don't know off hand what the calorie count is on session brews, but I find the lack of malt to be a problem. I can't drink stuff like Founders All Day, and I think most session IPAs to be generally terrible. I assumed when I see Brut I'm thinking dry, so I'm thinking they reduced the malt to make it less sweet. I've never seen a Brut IPA here, but I haven't been looking. So Brut= another name for session?

29. thuey

thuey Initiate (199) Nov 13, 2015 California

Brut IPAs taste nothing like Session IPAs. I generally think SIPAs taste like hop water literally, but Brut IPAs have more in common with a hoppy Pils in tasting notes (IMO).

30. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,436) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

My experience with exciting!!! beers is that they tend to go from great to sucky at record speeds (8 oz or so). I can deal with a little less excitement these days. :slight_smile:

31. djtothemoney

djtothemoney Initiate (137) Nov 30, 2015 Ohio

Both of the Brut IPAs I've had were higher in alcohol 7.5% plus. I thought they were both pretty interesting, but it's nothing to special. They body is incredibly thin, and the hops actually burned a bit on both, probably due to their being little residual sugar to balance them out.

32. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Zealot (513) Nov 23, 2017 California
    Trader

Session IPAs are generally around 5% abv or lower. All of the Brut IPAs I've seen so far are higher than that, around 7% like a normal IPA.

The dryness comes from use of the enzyme, here's a little bit from Drake's Brewing Co. website: "Per Kim’s advice, we added amylase enzymes to the fermenter. It’s the key ingredient during Extra Brut IPA production, which reduced all the malt sugar to yeast food. We were rewarded with an absolutely arid beer, that fermented down into negative plato numbers (by density, since alcohol is lighter than water, you can achieve negative sugar concentrations)."

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  33. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,194) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland

I can see it all happening now, lawn chairs being folded up and laptops gathered in from all of the line standing at all the top NEIPA and pastry stout special releases around the country, and a new pilgrimage of neckbeards out to San Francisco to capture the hippest new Brut IPA before the masses catch onto the style and make it "uncool". Will be like 1960's Haight/Asbury flood of hippies all over again, but mostly guys with pudgy beer bellies this time around.

34. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,194) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland

As far as the style goes, it sounds interesting and I'm excited for innovation, but I'm sure there will be some great Brut IPAs, average ones and crappola ones, just like all other styles.

TongoRad likes this.
  35. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (407) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Waiting for new puns...

Brut Force IPA

36. Dan_K

Dan_K Devotee (468) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

That is a dry-hopped Lambic, not an IPA. Dry hopping any beer does not make it an IPA. There are even some (not many) stouts that are dry-hopped and some have as much as 100 IBU. Those are not IPAs.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  37. BillManley

BillManley Aspirant (212) Jul 2, 2008 Minnesota

I'm pretty bullish on Brut IPAs at the moment. I've had a bunch of them now, and we're currently working on three new Brut IPAs at once. The latest one we did actually finished negative 0 Plato. Crazy.

Lately, I've been really introspective about what beers mean... (by that, I mean, what is ultimately the reason that style X is so attractive to folks... what about the beer specifically.) And I've been thinking a lot about the NE IPA and vis-a-vie Brut IPA.

What I find so interesting about NE IPAs is that they incorporate:

• Look (haze, bro)
    • Approachability (low, soft bitterness)
    • Flavor (The intense sweet impressions of fruit-forward hops)
    • Feel (soft and round mouthfeel)

All of these things add-up to a really appealing beer with a great point of differentiation. Of these factors, one of the things that interests me the most is the feel aspect.

Brut IPAs -- due to their dryness and high levels of carbonation -- add to the overall impression of the beers on the palate. The mouthfeel is different.

Additionally, they feature the soft low bitterness levels, and the high hop aroma and flavors, like the NE IPA, but unlike the NE beers, the flavor is so dry that it begs for another sip, and another, and another… If I’m drinking multiple beers in a sitting, I actually prefer drinking Brut IPAs over NE IPAs due to the ultra-dry feel.

There’s a place for both IMO, but after a year or more with the omni-presence of haze, it’s refreshing (literally) to see the pendulum swinging back in the other direction and encouraging to see the lessons learned. As American craft beer matures, it makes me happy to see brewers widening the toolkit of what flavor is by incorporating a multi-sensory experience into their beer.

38. Dan_K

Dan_K Devotee (468) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

You can't have negative sugar, just like you can't have negative matter.
    SINCE ethanol is only 70% as dense as water, this offsets what little residual sugar remains in the solution.
    There's also "apparent attenuation" vs actual attenuation, because of the density disparity between water and ethanol.
    Many wines ferment under SG 1.000, my cabernet finished at 0.994. (and there is still some residual sugar in it).

39. leantom

leantom Champion (819) Nov 20, 2011 Indiana

Shots fired!

40. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (2,721) Oct 14, 2009 Texas

I've had two Brut IPAs that I can remember, and maybe one more but I'd have to check my notes. The first one I tried reminded me of a Belgo-IPA, floral/fruity esters. The second didn't do much of anything for me--it had the drying finish, but wasn't particularly effervescent, hoppy, or (as I had been expecting) floral. Granted, my sample size is small so far but I'm not picking up on what makes this style so exciting.