Is trashing pumpkin beers hypocritical for some?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by johnnybgood1999, Jul 16, 2018.

?

Is trashing pumpkin beers hypocritical when many drink beers with other adjuncts?

1. Yes

44 vote(s)
    46.8%
  2. No

50 vote(s)
    53.2%
  1. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,035) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Dale, have you ever tried DFH Punkin Ale?

Cheers!

hopsputin, AZBeerDude72 and drtth like this.
  2. rozzom

rozzom Champion (815) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

The pinnacle of BA is being first-named on a forum by Jack

3. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,574) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

My brother made me aware that most frozen "pumpkin" pies you buy at grocery stores are made with butternut squash., I imagine it would be better for beer also.

JohnnyChicago likes this.
  4. MNAle

MNAle Meyvn (1,473) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Isn't that pretty much the dictionary definition of "hate"? :wink:

rozzom likes this.
  5. rozzom

rozzom Champion (815) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Hate is “intense or passionate dislike”. Vehement dislike is stronger than that in my mind. So it’s more than hate with EMJ.

Hate Plus™️

6. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (886) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Hate 2.0?

eppCOS, rozzom and Lahey like this.
  7. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (390) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

Smart move, trademarking that:wink:

Troutbeerbum and rozzom like this.
  8. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,784) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

As the fruit/vegetable/coffee/chocolate/vanilla and other flavored beers began to gain popularity on this website (among the "let's re-define 'adjunct' " crowd), I used to think:

:thinking_face: "Gee, aren't these the posters who used to ridicule people who merely stuck a slice of lime or lemon or orange in a bottle or glass of beer and the brewers who encouraged it?"

That would be hypocritical, I guess, but I further figured: "No - likely mostly different people posting on the same website."

9. Daveshek28

Daveshek28 Initiate (185) Nov 10, 2015 New York

I firmly believe, drink whatever you want to drink. If you only like AAL's or "macro" so be it, if you like pumpkins, hazy IPA's, pastry stouts so be it. To each their own! For the record, I do enjoy pumpkin beers in the fall.

threeviews likes this.
  10. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Devotee (457) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina
    Trader

No one was “trashing” pumpkin beers..... some people just don’t like pumpkin. If you don’t like pumpkin you aren’t gonna one pumpkin beer. Simple

11. EvenMoreJesus

Society Trader

It confounds me when people say/type this. It is not an answer to any question, rather a useless platitude.

Opinions are welcomed in opinion-based threads.

12. Daveshek28

What is confusing about "drink what you want to drink". Same as "eat what you want to eat", "watch what you want to watch" etc. I don't care if someone dislikes pumpkin, hates pumpkin or whatever.

13. LifesAnesthesia

LifesAnesthesia Crusader (753) Dec 17, 2014 Virginia
    Society

Well no body likes overpriced beer

bubseymour and Squire like this.
  14. EvenMoreJesus

Society Trader

EVERYBODY'S AWESOME!!!

LET'S NOT HAVE OPINIONS ABOUT ANYTHING BECAUSE THAT MIGHT HURT SOMEONE ELSE'S FEELINGS.

:rolling_eyes:

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  15. YamBag

YamBag Initiate (168) Feb 2, 2007 Pennsylvania

100% hypocritical. I remember years ago the owners of Victory bashing pumpkin beers and now they brew over a handful of fruit beers and I can't figure out the difference. I also struggle to figure out the difference between a lot of the fruit enhanced craft beers that aren't made with real fruit and the Bud Light Rita beers. The only difference I can think of is the price.

johnnybgood1999 likes this.
  16. Daveshek28

Never said everyone's awesome. Also, it's not about hurting feelings, I just simply don't care what people want to drink. If you care what other people want to drink, well then good for you. Are you the guy that stands at bars and makes comments when people order a drink you dislike?

17. MNAle

MNAle Meyvn (1,473) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Nah, that's not the only difference.

One is brewed by members is good standing of the Kumbaya Klub and the other is brewed by the evil Global Borg of the beer world.

YamBag, Squire and cavedave like this.
  18. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (483) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Pumpkin drinks are not something I would drink everyday, day in and day out.

That being said, if I come across a pumpkin beer that looks interesting and I haven't tried yet, I'll pick it up - simple as that.

ZebulonXZogg likes this.
  19. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,789) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I said no its not hypocritical - Its completely possible to hate pumpkin/pumpkin spice in beers and like the addition of some other fruit-esque thing like grapefruit for example in your beer.
    I don't even know what the hell that means ... But it sounds like something a grumpy old man drinking BMC would yell at a hipster drinking a peach pumpkin pale ale...
    One of the top 5 worst beers I ever had was a chai stout that tasted like they had dumped a 5 gallon bucket of chai spices in the beer. I literally gagged after the first sip.

HoppingMadMonk, Lahey and nc41 like this.
  20. papposilenus

papposilenus Meyvn (1,173) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire

Except for pumpkin beer. Pumpkin beer is vile.

21. papposilenus

I have never hesitated to tell anyone that pumpkin beer is disgusting. I can easily imagine an instance where I might not want to, for example a 7' tall psychopath with a pumpkin beer in one hand and a cocked sawed-off shotgun in the other however, under ordinary operating conditions, I will approach nearly anyone at any time and attempt to save them from putting something that actually tastes like bacterial slime into their bodies.

22. papposilenus

They taste like shit.

thebeers and Troutbeerbum like this.
  23. Daveshek28

And what typically happens when you do approach those people who aren't 7 foot tall nut jobs?

24. papposilenus

Yes I was!

OK, I'm done now.

thebeers likes this.
  25. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,157) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

To me, "hypocritical" implies at least some degree of assumed superiority. There is a world of difference between, say, chile beer drinker #1 saying "Pumpkin beers suck" and chile beer drinker #2 saying "Pumpkin beers suck, and anyone who doesn't agree with me is an idiot." I haven't seen #2 around here much, if at all.

Tastes differ. I happen to like pumpkin beers, watermelon IPA's, chai stouts, and just about anything else that comes to mind. I really don't care what anyone else likes, or what anyone else thinks about what I like.

Invinciblejets likes this.
  26. papposilenus

With the possible exception of my daughter's dog, I've yet to meet anyone who really cares what I think about anything.

ZebulonXZogg and Daveshek28 like this.
  27. Oceanbear1

Oceanbear1 Initiate (109) Aug 8, 2013 Colorado

Now wait just a moment. I have found a savory pumpkin stuffed ravioli to be quite good!

dcotom likes this.
  28. Daveshek28

LOL fair enough.

29. Klister

Klister Aspirant (206) Oct 27, 2010 Maine

Have you ever been online shopping for a particular product and reading the reviews and questions to see if there is an answer to your particular issue. Maybe the listed dimensions are for the box the product is shipped n and you need the item it to fit in a particular spot. You find someone who asks the exact question but there is always that one guy who responds to the question with "I don't own this product so I can't tell you its exact dimensions."

We are all left wondering why this person took the time to respond. That is how I feel about your answer, your sentiment is correct but did zero to add to the discussion. Which of course is not correct, because here I am discussing it.

Have a nice day

30. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,574) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Hear, hear! People who diss other folks who like beers they don't like have a bigger problem than disliking beer.

I like all beer styles as well, and the amount I care about what other people drink is zero. Which also, conveniently, is how much I care about what other folks think about what I enjoy to drink.

HoppingMadMonk, dcotom, drtth and 4 others like this.
  31. Daveshek28

I drink pumpkin beers, and find it hypocritical of anyone who drinks other beers with adjuncts/flavor additions/pastry whatever in them, and criticize someone for drinking a pumpkin beer. I voted "yes". Is that more relevant?

johnnybgood1999, rypkr and rozzom like this.
  32. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Crusader (795) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

1. Jesus is God.
    2. God is love.
    3. Love cannot be hate.
    4. More than Jesus is even more Jesus.
    5. Even more than hate is vehement dislike.
    6. Ergo, @EvenMoreJesus can have vehement dislike.

Theology checks out.

FBarber, rypkr, eppCOS and 1 other person like this.
  33. LifesAnesthesia

LifesAnesthesia Crusader (753) Dec 17, 2014 Virginia
    Society

That's pretty unconstructive in terms of criticism. That would be like anyone saying any beer style they don't like tastes like shit - it serves no purpose other than to express their opinion in a rudimentary way. Why do they taste like shit to you, is it all pumpkin beers or just one in particular, how many have you had, etc.

HoppingMadMonk likes this.
  34. papposilenus

It wasn't meant to be constructive or to serve a purpose other than to amuse me for a fleeting moment.

35. EvenMoreJesus

Society Trader

If you don't care in real life, fine. This, however, is a beer message board. If you don't express your opinions here, you're doing it wrong.

There are people who do that?

36. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,833) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I have, I've tried a bit of everything we get here with the exception on anyone’s BA efforts. I’m not paying Avery’s price on Rumpkin when I really dislike the style. I’ve got a strong dislike for the heavy spices in these beers, but I’ve had some other beers that use different adjuncts in different styles that I like. An easy example is Grapefruit Sculpin , that was good, Watetmelon not so much.

bubseymour and JackHorzempa like this.
  37. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,035) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Well, if you dislike Punkin then IMO it is the case that Pumpkin beers are not for you.

The only Pumpkin beer that I buy every year is Dogfish Head Punkin - that beer is tasty and well balanced in the spicing for my palate.

Cheers!

drtth likes this.
  38. EvenMoreJesus

Society Trader

See . . . I knew you could do it.

And, also, I agree completely with the statement that you've made, except the first bit about drinking pumpkin beers, that is. They're fucking gross.

papposilenus likes this.
  39. lbower860

lbower860 Initiate (149) Jun 28, 2011 Connecticut

This is such an idiotic response. Yea lets just all move on and not talk about beer at all.... Isnt that the whole point of this site!?! What a boring stick in the mud.

Troutbeerbum likes this.
  40. eppCOS

eppCOS Savant (925) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Is it hypocritical to hate pineapple on pizza? No, not really, since...just like pumpkin in beers, that tropical shite doesn't belong on my pizza! Opinion expressed and doubled down on... :wink:
    Palabra.