Is Weihenstephaner Vitus in your area?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by leezy, Jul 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leezy

leezy Initiate (72) Sep 13, 2009 Minnesota

For me this has been my biggest want and until today, a white whale for me. I say today because after several years of searching for Vitus, I was at a hole in the wall liquor store and managed to find several bottles of this beer. I have been able to find other Weihenstephaner beers except Vitus with no problem and when I asked the liquor stores around me why they couldn't get Vitus, I was told it was an import issue and that it likely would never be brought to MN.

After making several beer runs to neighboring states, I still couldn't find Vitus and for the longest time I thought I would have to use a website to try and get a bottle of this. But was really hoping to avoid paying for shipping.

After all of that, I was wondering if any fellow BAs have come across this beer on their store shelves or what beers in the Weihenstephaner portfolio they are able to get on a regular basis?

TLDNR: Couldn't find Vitus for years and now it's on the shelves, Is Weihenstephaner Vitus distributed in your area? What's up with that?

joaopmgoncalves and YogiBeer like this.
  2. StArnoldFan

StArnoldFan Crusader (715) Dec 28, 2012 Texas

Had their Hefe a few days ago and it was amazing, I'd like to try the Vitus as well.

dianimal likes this.
  3. dbc5

dbc5 Devotee (447) Jun 18, 2009 Arizona

This is an easily attainable shelf beer around here and I'm glad that it is. Delicious stuff.

4. beerme411

beerme411 Initiate (0) Sep 28, 2010 California

Easy to find in California. when in doubt Whole Foods always has it in stock.

brenty0man and TheSixthRing like this.
  5. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,152) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

None in Casper WY.

6. Averwo

Averwo Disciple (316) Jul 4, 2013 Iowa

I bought a bottle this weekend in Iowa City, IA. Haven't really looked for it until then though.

7. jkd03c

jkd03c Initiate (0) May 19, 2013 Florida

I bought a bottle of Vitus on Saturday and there were easily 6-8 more on the shelf. So its also easily attainable in the Tampa area.

8. williamjbauer

williamjbauer Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2012 Colorado

Just got one in Columbus, Ohio at Anderson's General store

BorisKarloff, jminch and YogiBeer like this.
  9. beastmammoth

beastmammoth Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2010 New York

if you go to a good German bar you've got a good shot at finding it. I've had trouble finding it on shelves as well

10. KingforaDay

KingforaDay Crusader (705) Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

I love this beer too but had no idea it was hard to find in certain states as its all over the place in NJ. And i am sure everyone here in NJ would happily welcome some Vitus for Surly trades with those of you in the Land of 10,000 Lakes.

11. semibaked

semibaked Zealot (595) Mar 27, 2007 Illinois

Thankfully it is easy to find around here, I know a place that sells it for $3.29, I buy a lot of it. Fantastic beer!

12. cistercian12

cistercian12 Initiate (193) Aug 30, 2010 Pennsylvania

I stumbled upon it at Coasters pub in Melbourne, Fla around two weeks ago

13. JakerLou

JakerLou Meyvn (1,125) Jan 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Society

Weihenstephaner is readily available in MA. I keep a few of each in the basement at all times. Their Korbinian is great as well as their Heff and Dunkel. The Kristal is very good as well. One of my favorite brewers and when you consider the price they are outstanding.

dianimal likes this.
  14. afrokaze

afrokaze Zealot (561) Jun 12, 2009 Arizona
    Brewery

Lucky enough to have a cool German bar near me that has it on tap often. Nothing quite like a massive pretzel with salami and cheese to go with a liter of Vitus.

sajaffe1, leezy, jborg and 2 others like this.
  15. blivingston1985

blivingston1985 Aspirant (287) Jan 7, 2010 North Carolina

When I lived in Tampa I drank this stuff at least a couple times a week. Here in Charlotte, NC it is available through Empire Distribution, but I have yet to see a bottle shop that has it in regular stock. Great beer.

16. Rutager

Rutager Poo-Bah (2,408) Oct 18, 2010 British Columbia (Canada)
    Society Trader

I was so happy to find this while on a trip to Portland a few weeks ago. I was also looking out for it for some time before I finally found it. Great stuff.

17. jroberts8811

jroberts8811 Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2013 Missouri

scads of the stuff in Kansas City.

cheap, too. $2.50-$3.00

18. Providence

Providence Crusader (747) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

Plenty of it up here in RI/MA. Excellent brew.

Congratulations on grabbing one!

leezy likes this.
  19. schmidtmattsays

schmidtmattsays Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2013 Illinois

In Illinois had some on tap at the Publican - haven't been able to find it on the shelves since...

20. leezy

leezy Initiate (72) Sep 13, 2009 Minnesota

Thanks for the feedback all!

I paid $3.29 for the bottle so it definitely made my day seeing on the shelf.

There is a really good German pub not too far from me that has Weihenstephaner as it's primary beer brand but they don't have the Vitus and I got the same "import issue, good luck finding it" response so I was curious as to the sudden availability of this awesome beer.

Cheers!!

21. alex_hart

alex_hart Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2013 Oklahoma

Vitus is freakin delicious, and freakin inexepsive! And ya...its everywhere here. Shelves always full, so let me know if you ever want more and cant get any.

leezy likes this.
  22. Frankinstiener

Frankinstiener Aspirant (206) Jul 28, 2009 Illinois

Very easy to find here, and very good beer.

23. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,343) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

I see it everywhere. Quality beer and a great value to boot.

24. Bobheed

Bobheed Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2010 Texas

Ya, it's really easy to find in Austin. I usually grab a few bottles of it at a time too cause it's only $3

25. jborg

jborg Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2009 New York

Vitus is pretty easy to find around here, which is a very good thing. Outstanding beer.

26. edwado

edwado Initiate (0) Jul 9, 2013 New Jersey

I feel really sorry for you.It sometimes is impossible to fine whereas all other weihenstephan beers(Korbinian,hefe,Krisstal...)are stocked up as much as possible.I fine it often enough and buy the whole lot of it-so blame me and a few other's .The secret is no secret-the finest wheat beer in the world at a price that no one can touch in that style.(maybe aventinus).I am glad someone devoted an article on this beer.And in the summer?
    As my fellow Italian buddy's say:forget about it.A truly,truly,truly incredibly tasting beer at a remarkable price.In New Jersey it is easy to get

27. MattyG85

MattyG85 Poo-Bah (3,399) Aug 31, 2010 Minnesota
    Society

Just tried it tonight. Its amazing. Going to try to find some more where I got it from.

leezy likes this.
  28. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,167) Sep 24, 2007 Montenegro
    Society Trader

V V V

I I I

T T T

U U U

S S S

! ! !

Old school LNBA shout out to ColoradoBobs!

29. Lutter

Lutter Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2010 Texas

$2.99/500ml in Austin. Whole Foods, Central Market, and Specs always seem to have 4-5 of their beers in stock (if not more). I buy it often.

30. Hoppsbabo

Hoppsbabo Champion (890) Jan 29, 2012 United Kingdom (England)
    Trader

Pretty easy to find in Seoul, South Korea.

alex_hart likes this.
  31. Dirty25

Dirty25 Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2012 Germany

We have cases of it at my local Beer store.

32. Derranged

Derranged Devotee (438) Mar 7, 2010 New York

Its not a very hard find in New York but not every beer store has it unlike the hefeweizen.

33. imbrue001

imbrue001 Initiate (178) Aug 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

Available to me I just cant seem to find one brewed in '13

jesskidden likes this.
  34. azorie

azorie Champion (892) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

we got tons of it here. sadly distro to all states of all beer is never going to be fixed, I do not think.

35. bluesfan1181

bluesfan1181 Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2007 Missouri

I can get it with ease, here in the St. Louis area.

36. Andrew041180

Andrew041180 Defender (651) Mar 15, 2013 Massachusetts

My local store typically has about half a dozen types of Weihenstephaner on the shelf at any given time. I didn't like the Vitus as much as I do the Hefes and the Pilsner, but I'm glad you finally got a crack at it! Weihenstephaner and Jack's Abby are basically the only singles that I ever buy on a semi-regular basis given the cost.

37. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (622) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

Send me some Surly and I'll send you all the Vitus you want!

leezy likes this.
  38. MrIncognito

MrIncognito Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2008 Virginia

We get all the Weihenstephaner offerings in the DC area. Vitus is available pretty much year round per my recollection. One of my favorites

39. ImperatorScab

ImperatorScab Disciple (310) Jul 15, 2013 Tennessee

I work on a small military installation and I can get Weihenstephaner at the PX, to include their hefeweizen, their dunkel weizen, and their premium. I have yet to see their Vitus or any others on the shelf, which is a shame, because I love their beer and would like to try more.

40. Hanzo

Hanzo Savant (954) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

One man's white whale is another man's everyday shelf beer. For future reference don't wait several years to find a beer, just ask here and someone will likely hook you up (well, for shelf beer at least). I would have certainly sent you some Vitus.

justin_nj, cavedave and beertunes like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.