Is Weihenstephaner Vitus in your area?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by leezy, Jul 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fishtremble

fishtremble Initiate (133) Jan 18, 2010 Michigan

Very easy to obtain on the SE side of Michigan and always a great value (ranges from $2.99-3.19 a bottle). This is a beer my fridge is never without, summer or winter it drinks great.

alex_hart likes this.
  2. derftron

derftron Disciple (371) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

This is a fantastic beer. Really random distribution here in Oregon. One QFC has it, and about 1/4 of the Whole Foods. Even bottle shops are hit and miss.

I actually stumbled upon this a few years ago as a "random try" one day and was utterly blown away. I had no idea. Nothing better than picking up something out of the blue and it turns out to be a total gem.

but yea, to the original poster, dont struggle anymore. Ill trade with you if you need it. Im sure you have something in your neighborhood that doesnt make it to oregon.

3. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,664) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

It's pretty random here in CO, too. I'll see it everywhere for a few months and then I won't see it again until next season. While I prefer darker weizenbocks, Vitus is still amazing.
    If you like it, Plank and Ayinger make versions you'll likely enjoy, too.

dar482 likes this.
  4. Drucifer

Drucifer Devotee (406) Apr 16, 2012 Illinois

Great beer, although I've only had it out of 2L boots at the Bavarian Brau Haus on Lincoln here in Chicago.

5. Dupage25

Dupage25 Aspirant (226) Jul 4, 2013 Antarctica

Most of the Binny's I've been to in Illinois have it. Whole Foods seems more likely to have Korbinian but I've seen Vitus too.

I've seen Korbinian in D.C. but can't recall seeing Vitus. Where do you find it?

6. BierGartenok

BierGartenok Initiate (0) Apr 4, 2009 Oklahoma

7. Zimbo

Zimbo Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2010 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Seen it all across Scotland. Passed it by on my last bottle shop visit because I felt confident in the supply chain.

8. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2005 Minnesota

I've seen it in IL and WI all over the place, but for some weird reason we don't get Vitus or Korbinian in MN despite getting all of Weihenstephaner's other US offerings. Why is that? And, did you find some in MN? DO we now get the Vitus?

9. kawilliams81

kawilliams81 Meyvn (1,285) Feb 27, 2009 Illinois

Yes, everywhere.

10. Knapp85

Knapp85 Poo-Bah (8,257) Dec 25, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

We have it here in Eastern PA. Hadn't seen it though prior to maybe 6 months ago.

11. braugon

braugon Initiate (0) Mar 14, 2013 Connecticut

Si, senor

Southern CT

12. YieldToNothing

YieldToNothing Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2013 New York

VERY easy to find here, even in crappy supermarkets and thank the lord for that. excellent beet

13. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2012 Florida

Yes, all over Tampa Bay.

14. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (13,752) Mar 18, 2010 California
    Society

Interesting to read that it's not readily available in some places.

alex_hart likes this.
  15. leezy

leezy Initiate (72) Sep 13, 2009 Minnesota

I've been to WI,ND and IA (already on a trip/purpose, not JUST for Vitus/beer) but was never able to find it at the beer stores that have been recommended on BA.

I did find some in MN, I emailed the importer (Total Beverage Solutions) to find out why Vitus was suddenly available and the distributer info as well.

If your interested, BM me and I'll give you the store names and locations

16. beardown2489

beardown2489 Devotee (406) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

Warren's in Wheaton, Il has consistantly had it on tap since May. Life is Good

beerjardin likes this.
  17. jdrum

jdrum Initiate (0) Oct 4, 2010 Illinois

been buying it for 1.50 a bottle at my local store, they are getting rid of it, sad

18. puboflyons

puboflyons Poo-Bah (5,326) Jul 26, 2008 New Hampshire
    Society

Fairly easy to find in New Hampshire. Even some supermarkets carry it.

19. schmidtmattsays

schmidtmattsays Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2013 Illinois

Right you are, good sir. Binny's in Buffalo Grove had plenty - thanks!
    [​IMG]

20. HeelsandEers

HeelsandEers Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2013 West Virginia

I've been wanting to try this for a while now. Their hefe is amazing. I'm sure this is as well.

21. Vonstein15

Vonstein15 Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2010 Ohio

I am lucky to find it here for $3.I listened to all the V.I.T.U.S posts.I do hear you out there.Cheers

22. Relik

Relik Initiate (117) Apr 20, 2011 Nova Scotia (Canada)

well i wish i could join the party and say "oh yeah its up here too" but sadly its not, maybe it will change soon...

23. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (22,960) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Society Trader

Yep, and if you go to a good store they will always be pretty fresh which is my preference. I can usually find them under 6 months old. Vitus needs to be 6 packed IMO. I have 6 pack of moderately fresh Hefewiess on me right now.

fishtremble likes this.
  24. funhog

funhog Aspirant (262) Mar 8, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

25. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (4,207) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Society Trader

That's funny, it's a shelf beer here in WV and we don't get anything!

26. Moose90

Moose90 Meyvn (1,404) Nov 25, 2012 Washington

Yes its on a few shelves for $4 or so dollars, never thought much of it...

27. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (2,052) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

SoCal here (LA). this may have already been said before, but its relatively easy to get here

28. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,693) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

We had a month-long blip in NNJ when the distributor went out of business, but it's beer picked up by another one and is available again.

29. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,935) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

So, let us know how you enjoyed it? Was it worth the hunt? I do love it, but give me their Hefe and Kristall every time.

30. BrettHead

BrettHead Zealot (504) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

On the shelves 24/7/365 :slight_smile:

31. TargaFlorio

TargaFlorio Crusader (741) Jul 3, 2012 Indiana

Picked up a bottle last night after reading all the great comments about it in this thread. Can't wait to try it.

32. BrettHead

BrettHead Zealot (504) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

33. dumpman

dumpman Devotee (439) Feb 6, 2010 Rhode Island
    Society

Excellent brewery, distro might be a little slow but if you learn the freshness code on the back of the bottle you can eliminate the old stuff.
    You can't beat the hefe, vitus and my favorite korbinian. Readily available here in new England.

34. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Defender (640) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

At $2.99 per bottle near me - amazing. I can enjoy 3 or 4 of these world-class beers for the same price of some ridiculous bomber of unproven, middling beer.

35. DaveAnderson

DaveAnderson Zealot (510) Jan 11, 2011 Minnesota

I wasn't even looking for it, and found quite a bit this past week. Great example of the style, and at $3.49, a steal.

36. tr9871

tr9871 Initiate (115) Apr 14, 2013 Florida

I'm surprised to see this thread because it's always one the shelf here and we hardly get anything in distribution! I just bought one tonight coincidentally. its less than $3 here too and worth 3x that IMHO.

37. WYVYRN527

WYVYRN527 Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2007 Minnesota

We just received it last week, along with Korbinian. I have yet to pick up any, but it's on my list for tomorrow night.

38. krouge

krouge Initiate (20) Dec 22, 2006 Thailand

Our local supermarket usually has Vitus. I think that it costs about US$4.80 per 500ml bottle.

39. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2005 Minnesota

grabbed it last night at the Four Firkins!

leezy likes this.
  40. stella77artois

stella77artois Devotee (485) Nov 4, 2010 New York

I've only seen it in one store in my area. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to sell all that well at this place, so I could probably pick one up whenever I felt so inclined.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.