Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Magazine ISO: Exceptional breweries that opened in 2017

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Keene, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Keene

Keene Editorial Director (880) Sep 11, 2009 Washington
    Staff Subscriber

It's that time again! October is around the corner, which means we're looking for exceptional US breweries that have opened in the past year for our 7th annual "Class of 20XX" feature. (Check out the 2016 picks we chose with your help.) As always, the article will appear in the January issue of BeerAdvocate magazine.

Please post suggestions below or send them to: editorial [at] beeradvocate.com with "Class of 2017" in the subject line and a 1–2 sentence pitch as to why we should consider a particular brewery. When in 2017 did it officially open and begin selling beer? Why does it stand out? And what makes it special to you?

Please note that the industry grew from 4,504 US craft breweries in 2015 to 5,234 in 2016 and things haven't slowed down much since. In other words, while all nominations will be considered, we unfortunately can't include every new brewery in the magazine. Thanks in advance for all of your recommendations!

RebeccaK and bbtkd like this.
  2. CCBone

CCBone Initiate (164) Apr 29, 2016 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Barrel Theory in St. Paul, MN. St. Paul has traditionally been an "older generation" city, while Minneapolis has been for the younger, more adventerous crowd. The fantastic beers and modern/industrial atmosphere here will continue the complete revamping of the St. Paul beverage and restaurant scene. This will be the first truly high end brewery in St. Paul to go along with the multiple new cocktail bars and eateries.

3. Windvaner

Windvaner Initiate (138) Nov 7, 2014 Minnesota

Ha.. was just about to mention Barrel Theory and see someone beat me to it.

This is a brewery that was formed by Ex-Surly Brewing employees . They took what they learned and elevated the beer scene in Minnesota . Their sours and IPA's are probably the highest rated of any brewery in Minnesota despite been open less than a year .

Fair State Brewing a previous world best brewery still knock it out of the park in Minneapolis but now Barrel Theory have added something seriously new to the other side of the Twin Cities . People line up out the door to get into this place and they don't distribute yet so you have go there to try their beers.

I would say most buzzed about new Minnesota Brewery in 2017 but for a change the hype is worth it.

runmn, RebeccaK, bbtkd and 1 other person like this.
  4. hopdragon

hopdragon Initiate (129) Jan 6, 2007 Minnesota

Barrel Theory

DonnaRamsey, RebeccaK and Keene like this.
  5. Spaceman_Jer

Spaceman_Jer Zealot (577) Jan 27, 2015 Colorado

Outer Range Brewing in Frisco, CO. I know my Mountain Forum homies will back this one up, as they have become one of the most talked-about IPA producers in the region.

They've had people driving up to the mountains from all over CO over the past few months to taste their beer, and now that they are doing can releases I think their star is even further on the rise.

Dan_K, ManBearPat, RebeccaK and 4 others like this.
  6. elproducer

elproducer Initiate (16) Apr 19, 2016 California

Outer Range.

Dan_K, ManBearPat, RebeccaK and 2 others like this.
  7. njcraftguy

njcraftguy Zealot (537) Apr 6, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Equilibrium brewing in NY state. I haven't had any dark beers from them yet ( though I hear they are coming soon ) but they are putting out really good IPA's/Pale ale's as well as superb Sours.

kool-aid, Birdtech, cavedave and 5 others like this.
  8. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (1,520) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

Remedy Brewing in Sioux Falls, SD opened July 21st in an old but modernized warehouse in what has become the Sioux Falls beer district. The brewery and taproom are professional, modern, inviting, and well run. They offer crowlers of their own beers, and several other craft selections. They support charities, host zumba/yoga fitness classes, participate in or host local beer events with their competitors, collaborate with local restaurants, and they bring in local musicians.

Their beer lineup includes a variety of styles instead of obsessing on IPA's as many upstarts seem to. So far, styles have included common, cream ale, hefeweizen, pale wheat ale, mexican lager, milk stout, saison/farmhouse, scotch ale, and an IPA. Several new ones are coming soon, including a couple of fall beer styles (oktoberfest and pumpkin). The hefeweizen is incredible. Shown below is their Split-shift Dakota Common, 5.5% ABV, 28 IBU.

[​IMG]

#8 bbtkd, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    Pacioli1445, RebeccaK and Keene like this.
  9. SourMS

SourMS Initiate (100) Sep 16, 2017

Natchez Brewing Co in Natchez, Ms. Their year round beers are solid but their sour beers are some of the best I have had from across the country. Solid stuff and very much worthy of recognition. Also the only brewery in Ms that has seriously taken the plunge into mix culture fermentation sours.

RebeccaK and Keene like this.
  10. Benish

Benish Savant (910) Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Funk Factory Geuzeria in Wisconsin is gaining a lot of attention. Was at their opening, I believe that was Spring of 2017.

11. DVZ

DVZ Initiate (105) Sep 16, 2017

Hourglass Brewing in Longwood, Florida.
    Also their Sourglass Brewing.

12. itismechris

itismechris Initiate (100) Sep 16, 2017

Green Cheek Beer Co!! may have to wait 30 minutes to order on can release days, but well worth it!

13. HopGoddess

HopGoddess Initiate (122) Jan 14, 2006 Massachusetts

Exhibit 'A' Brewing Co, Framingham, MA
    Goody Two Shoes for everyone!

14. ajsiem

ajsiem Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2012 Sweden

I'd say people have to look more for California Wild Ales, great up and coming sour brewery from SD!

BeanBump, RebeccaK and Keene like this.
  15. brentk56

brentk56 Poo-Bah (8,264) May 13, 2004 North Carolina
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Barrel Culture Brewing and Blending in Durham, NC. Just opened with a big splash.

Geuzedad, treznor, NCGreg and 4 others like this.
  16. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (506) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Thanks for tipping me. Will make sure to stop by when in town next month for Augie's homecoming. Have not visited the city in nearly twenty years.
    Excited to see what's happening in Sioux Falls and to see the art walk one of cousins has been a part of putting together.

17. Keene

Keene Editorial Director (880) Sep 11, 2009 Washington
    Staff Subscriber

We appreciate the suggestion, but Exhibit A opened last year... and actually ended up in our January 2017 issue. Cheers!

Lone_Freighter and RebeccaK like this.
  18. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Meyvn (1,470) Aug 29, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

HOMES Brewery in Ann Arbor. They have put out quite a few excellent hops and kettle-soured ales.

And as delicious as their beer is, their food might be even better. Definitely worth the time for anyone who happens to be in Ann Arbor. They are pretty much always buzzing and busy.

core42, RebeccaK and Keene like this.
  19. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Initiate (161) Aug 2, 2017 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

They are set to open soon this fall, I'd take a look at Hidden Sands Brewing in South Jersey. Looks like it's going to be really good.

20. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Crusader (764) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Another former Tired Hands brewer, so certainly potential. However, might be better for 2018, as the opening could get pushed out + will need some time to get established. For instance, Equilibrium (NY) was distributing kegs in the later part of 2016, but weren’t really established until 2017, when the brewery was fully operative.

RebeccaK, IPAExpert69 and Keene like this.
  21. Jksenior

Jksenior Initiate (141) Aug 27, 2010 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Resident Culture just opened in Charlotte to rave reviews and will only get better with their extensive barrels they've got "cookin".

22. JCoop11

JCoop11 Initiate (100) Sep 19, 2017

Barrel Culture in Durham, NC did a soft open end of August (full open Oct 28). I would put any of their "So Icyyy" series Berliner Weisse beers up against J Wake's in a blind or unblinded taste test any day. Based off appearances at just a few festivals, people from around the country showed up at their first bottle release a few weeks ago.

NCGreg and RebeccaK like this.
  23. JVC26

JVC26 Initiate (100) Sep 19, 2017 Colorado

Cellar West Artisan Ales in Boulder, CO is making incredible barrel fermented Brett Farmhouse Ales! Outer Range in Frisco, Co has taken over the haze game in Colorado with continuous strong outings.

24. damasta414

damasta414 Initiate (122) Mar 7, 2017 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Explorium Brewpub in Milwaukee, WI. Great beers all around but also innovative beers such as the Tiramisu Stout and Smores Porter to the great BA beers like the Barrel Aged BA Baracus Quad.

25. cruxNC

cruxNC Initiate (0) Jun 2, 2016 North Carolina

Barrel Culture in Durham, North Carolina is making some of the greatest beers I have ever tasted. They is incredibly innovative and I believe will be a big part of the next evolution of east coast brewing that will redefine what we expect from beer.

#25 cruxNC, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2017
    RebeccaK, NCGreg and Keene like this.
  26. Samlover55

Samlover55 Defender (626) Oct 8, 2015 New York
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I would give a vote for District 96 in New City, Ny. Balanced beers with some great NE-style IPAs

Keene and RebeccaK like this.
  27. ManapuaMan

ManapuaMan Meyvn (1,156) Apr 3, 2015 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Not sure if my memory is failing me, or whether a technicality precludes them from “opening” in 2017, but I believe Springdale deserves mention (December 2016?). From barrel aged saisons and wild ales and krieks, to hoppy NE IPAs, and BA stouts, Jack’s Abbey’s sister brewery is serving up great beer that spans a wide spectrum. Really complex stuff that pushes the flavor boundaries.

kool-aid and VABA like this.
  28. Grux41

Grux41 Initiate (100) Oct 19, 2017

Combustion Brewing - PIckerington, OH (Columbus) - Owner has Columbus Brewing Company roots and already building a solid rosters out in the 'burbs of Central Ohio. Opened Spring of 2017 after some delays -assuming to get things just right. So far has been really well received and could be a local player for a long time. Timing of their opening was shortly after Brew Dog opened their massive US brewery less than 10 miles down the road and Combustion is more than holding their own thanks to their high quality brews. I feel like they are just getting started and the future is bright.

29. Nephilium

Nephilium Disciple (366) Mar 3, 2007 Ohio
    Subscriber Beer Trader

May want to look towards Masthead Brewing in Cleveland, OH. They opened January of this year, and got a bronze at the GABF.

Keene likes this.
  30. surfcaster

surfcaster Defender (628) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Supporter Beer Trader

Resident Culture in Charlotte

Top tier.

RebeccaK, MikeJet32 and Keene like this.
  31. MikeJet32

MikeJet32 Initiate (116) Apr 14, 2017 Illinois

On Tour Brewing in Chicago.

RebeccaK, eppCOS and Keene like this.
  32. osseo222000

osseo222000 Aspirant (285) Jan 26, 2016 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Green Cheek Brewing in Anaheim, CA and Barrel Theory in St. Paul, MN should be at the top of the list for sure!

Birdtech, RebeccaK, Beer_Line and 2 others like this.
  33. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Zealot (540) Nov 14, 2010 Arizona
    Subscriber Beer Trader

A big second for Green Cheek. If they continue what they are doing I see a very bright future indeed for those folks!

34. Beer_Line

Beer_Line Aspirant (268) May 29, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

35. njcraftguy

Beer Trader

Very small and only open a few weeks but if you're near Lake Winny in NH Burnt Timber is excellent. Small but very cool brewery with a friendly vibe, good food n most important excellent brews.

36. M-Fox24

Subscriber Beer Trader

Ah…love Wolfeboro. Those fellas have actually been around for a bit (e.g. taps at Beveridge Craft Beer & Soap, Lone Wolfe...), but finally got around to opening up a tap room

RebeccaK likes this.
  37. njcraftguy

Beer Trader

Ahhhh - I see. When I was there they were telling me they just opened, I didn't know they had been brewing beforehand.
    Love Wolfeboro as well, been going there for over 20 years - my sister has a house there - what a great town.

38. M-Fox24

Subscriber Beer Trader

Ya. 20/25+ years is right around my benchmark as well; perhaps we have the same sister? Anyways, to keep it topic related. met up with a hop farmer a couple years back who was in talks with Ryan Bolger at the time, but also reputable and good friends with Kimmich, Hill…

39. DonnaRamsey

DonnaRamsey Initiate (116) Oct 24, 2016 Minnesota

Barrel Theory in St. Paul, MN.

40. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Initiate (192) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

Stonecloud Brewing - OKC, Okla.

My Ratings (Out of 5):
    5.00 - Purple Rain
    4.75 - Madmartigan
    4.50 - Smorgasbord, Whatta Man
    4.25 - Astrodog, Neon Sunshine, Straight Juice Bro
    4.00 - Business As Usual
    3.75 - Saddle Tramp, Sei Barili Vol. 1: The IPA, Operation Steingraber, DDH Astrodog

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.