Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Magazine ISO: Exceptional breweries that opened in 2017

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Keene, Sep 13, 2017.

1. AndyBrewsBeer

AndyBrewsBeer Initiate (153) May 6, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

2. wilymobastardo

wilymobastardo Aspirant (204) Jan 12, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

Green Cheek, yes. And in SD County, the best debut was Wild Barrel in San Marcos.

3. FirstName_LastName

FirstName_LastName Initiate (119) Oct 29, 2017 Nebraska

Another vote for Cellar West Artisan Ales in Boulder, CO. They have been open for eight months and just won silver at GABF in the Specialty Saison category.

Also, Purpose Brewing and Cellars in Fort Collins, CO. Peter Bouckaert's new brewery (formerly 1933 brewing). I think it opened in August. They are making some excellent, small batch beers there. Small tap list (four beers) that changes weekly.

RebeccaK and Keene like this.
  4. Tacoboomerang

Tacoboomerang Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2013 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Vasen Brewing - Richmond, VA. My favorites so far are the Smoked Farmhouse, Amarillo Gose and their Sour Stout. Richmond is a tough market saturated with solid breweries and I like the direction these guys are going.

kool-aid, RebeccaK and Keene like this.
  5. jhavs

jhavs Meyvn (1,461) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

I'll have to check them out, never heard of them.

6. njcraftguy

njcraftguy Zealot (537) Apr 6, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

A block from the center of Wolfeboro - Lone Wolfe worth a stop as well though I preferred Burnt Timber.

jhavs likes this.
  7. seanchai

seanchai Defender (685) May 23, 2009 Virginia
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Reason Beer in Charlottesville, VA Low alcohol, perfectly balanced beers from the former head brewer at Maine Beer Company.

kool-aid, RebeccaK and Keene like this.
  8. CB_Michigan

CB_Michigan Aspirant (206) Sep 4, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Seconded. I feel like they get overlooked around here because they aren't brewing anything that's particularly sexy, but everything they put out is true to style. Will be interesting to see what happens when their barrel program really gets going.

9. Coltron23

Coltron23 Aspirant (248) Apr 23, 2017 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Vanished Valley out of Ludlow, MA is seriously putting stuff out just as good, if not better than Tree House. Pomona and Watershed are bomb.

RebeccaK and Keene like this.
  10. Blinkyoureyes

Blinkyoureyes Aspirant (283) Aug 28, 2015 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

RebeccaK, DukeViking and Keene like this.
  11. Dan_K

Dan_K Devotee (414) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Outer Range brewing company in Frisco, CO.
    Killer IPAs and a really cool setting in the middle of the mountains. Short distance from a half dozen world-class ski areas. In particular, In the Steep, Rustic Ways, and Forestry have been killer, their cans have been really high quality from the start, which is impressive.

Their Hydrologic Session IPA is very impressive, tons of flavor in a 5% beer. I did a back to back with Super Session from Lawsons and it was no contest.

They also collaborated with Wiley Roots to make Neature Walk, and are releasing a collab with Weldwerks later this year IIRC.

#51 Dan_K, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    RebeccaK, elproducer and Keene like this.
  12. JFresh21

JFresh21 Disciple (329) Mar 6, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

More Brewing outside of Chicago. They won Gold at FOBAB. Stouts so thick you'll slap yo momma.

Keene likes this.
  13. Frosty11161

Frosty11161 Aspirant (227) May 2, 2016 California
    Beer Trader

Green Cheek for sure

Cellador Ales (but they might've been at very end of last year, but membership started this year and tasting room still isn't open)

Keene likes this.
  14. core42

core42 Devotee (477) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

HOMES is fantastic!!

Who? :rolling_eyes:

Speciation had their first bottle release in 2017 so that would have been the first time they were open to the public http://mittenbrew.com/2017/01/speciation-artisan-ales-holds-first-bottle-release/

Oh and Speciation is pretty amazing so that would be my vote

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.