It's high time that we update Beer Styles!

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Todd, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Defender (694) Jan 27, 2013 Virginia
    Trader

This was my first IPL and, to this day, the best offering I've had from this now recognized style.

2. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,972) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

I just put in a request for Otter Creek's Citra Montra to be reclassified from Lager-American to IPL. It was one of the originals.

3. StonedTrippin

StonedTrippin Poo-Bah (19,446) May 28, 2011 Colorado
    Society

while considering the expansion of lager styles here, and with the other thread closed, it seems like italian pilsner should be included as well. not sure if anyone mentioned it there or not, but these have really sprung up in the last year or so, particularly in the northwest it seems, and stands distinct enough from a german pils to probably warrant its own category. glad to see these changes being made to what was previously one of the weaknesses of BA. great stuff!

Amendm likes this.
  4. morimech

morimech Poo-Bah (3,808) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota
    Society

So if a Helles, Keller, or Pils gets dry hopped, it becomes an IPL. OK then...

Amendm likes this.
  5. Todd

Todd Founder (6,031) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

I don't recall saying that or seeing that being suggested by anyone else. And you can always suggest an edit for any beer that's been tagged with the wrong style.

6. morimech

morimech Poo-Bah (3,808) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota
    Society

So automagically was not going to be 100% accurate?

7. Todd

It's 100% accurate for what the script does. In this case, beers with "IPL" or "India Pale Lager" (strict matches) in the name were moved and I review what's being moved before executing the process.

Since it was added as a style, there have been new beers added and suggestions for edits processed.

Again, if you feel that a beer needs updating...suggest an edit for the mod team to review.

8. officerbill

officerbill Zealot (506) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

Should flavored porters (other than coffee) be going into American or Imperial or does it matter? Right now there is everything from peanut butter and maple bacon to biscotti and pecan pie scattered throughout both.

9. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (9,009) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

Well the big difference between American Porter and American Imperial Porter are the ABV - under 7.5 in the former, the remainder in the latter.

officerbill likes this.
  10. beaulabauve

beaulabauve Disciple (367) Aug 5, 2011 Louisiana

@Todd would you consider altbier written as brown ale - german/altbier? It is appropriate don’t you think?

11. Todd

There are many updates to come, and this is on my radar.

12. beaulabauve

And moving roggenbier to specialties. Thanks for relying so fast! Wow!

13. zid

zid Meyvn (1,179) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

On the other hand, I'd rather see less emphasis on splitting things up along these larger category lines. (I know that's not where you are right now and there's no perfect solution). It feels like a lot of force-fitting or odd associations. That "brown ale" top category includes "English dark mild ale" and "Belgian dark ale"... even though there's a separate "dark ale" top category. Dubbel is in that dark ale category. It's hard to understand the internal logic, and as a result, I don't know where to look on the list to find these styles. Feels like the organization works against its purpose in that regard.

14. Todd

I plan on addressing this during the next update.

15. beaulabauve

I think structurally speaking, we should categorize by either country of origin, SRM, ABV, ingredients, or something measurable. I’m OCD and love organizing. I still think country of origin is the best way to go, and then subdividing with some concrete measurement.