It’s Last Call for Cheap Beer (Prices)

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Nov 4, 2021.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,510) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Who's ready to pay even more for beer?
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-10-29/it-s-last-call-for-cheap-beer

2. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (96) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

I've already seen the rise in prices from many of my distributors. Unfortunately things will certainly get worse before they get better.

3. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,253) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Yesterday I just happened to ask the brewer at one of my local breweries if he is having supply issues. It is a German-inspired brewery, and he said he's desperate for German malts. He has been brewing American styles just to keep the taps fed, but only 8 of 14 taps are currently in use. I didn't ask him about prices for what he is able to get.

One of their most popular beers is a berry lager. He found a plentiful source for red raspberries, so he filled the fridge with them.

#3 PapaGoose03, Nov 4, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    Squire, Rug, Singlefinpin and 6 others like this.
  4. Peach63

Peach63 Savant (968) Jul 17, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

Time to start home brewing more than I currently do. So far I haven't seen any supply issues. But, a slight increase in prices

5. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,454) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Consumers, watch your price per ounce. Shrinkflation in beer will become even more common. Just ask Lagunitas with their Contents Under Fresher 4packs this year. :wink:

6. BourbonForBeer

BourbonForBeer Aspirant (213) May 11, 2020 Illinois
    Trader

Ah, that's not good... On the upside, I guess at least my 100 something beers I can get to sooner than later then.

7. BourbonForBeer

BourbonForBeer Aspirant (213) May 11, 2020 Illinois
    Trader

Same here, I'm looking forward to brewing more and with good reason to.

Rug, Peach63, Singlefinpin and 2 others like this.
  8. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,912) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

At this late stage of my life, it won't bother me that much.

#8 Bitterbill, Nov 4, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
  9. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,253) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

None of this "fixed income" crap for you? I suspect 'independently wealthy' is that's your position. :wink:

10. Bitterbill

Society

Still working and getting Social Security. Independently wealthy? I wish.

JimKal, Davmas55, BigIronH and 7 others like this.
  11. BigIronH

BigIronH Savant (956) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

Along with everything else…the price of beer was bound to go up. We will see what the difference in cost of goods will be in, say, 2025.

Cheers.

Resistance88, woemad, Squire and 4 others like this.
  12. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,160) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I recently placed an order for my next three batches. No issue in getting what ingredients I wanted but yes, there was price increases. Still, waaay cheaper to homebrew than buy beer at my local beer retailers.

Cheers!

Resistance88, woemad, Peach63 and 3 others like this.
  13. kp7

kp7 Initiate (40) Feb 8, 2021 Massachusetts

Maybe this will push growlers back to the fore. Take home convenience for customers, better margins for brewers and bars, and no aluminum needed.

Junior, o29, Resistance88 and 5 others like this.
  14. Singlefinpin

Singlefinpin Meyvn (1,414) Jul 17, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

Here in NC prices in the store are stable.
    Brewery prices are also stable at this point.
    Will it all change?
    Of course as The Pandemic ends more people will be out drinking at restaurants and breweries, and supply and demand will have it's way.
    Beer is still some of the best entertainment at any price!

Squire, Rug and PapaGoose03 like this.
  15. Singlefinpin

Singlefinpin Meyvn (1,414) Jul 17, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

I might have enough money saved to offset the coming inflationary prices of beer.
    I will say this, I'll keep drinking craft beer until they pry it from my cold dead hands!
    LOL!

16. dele

dele Initiate (100) Mar 13, 2019 Massachusetts

Beer prices have already been increasing astronomically, so this is nothing new. As recently as 2014-15, $10 was a pretty expensive six pack, and it was common to find good beer for $7-8/six. Now, there's a very small selection of craft beer available for $10, and practically none for $8. Somebody above mentioned that we'll see shrinkflation, too; we've been seeing it for years with many breweries switching from 72 oz. to 64 oz. per package.

AlcahueteJ, Squire, Rug and 3 others like this.
  17. MaltyFlannel

MaltyFlannel Initiate (37) Oct 30, 2020 Iowa

I was walking through my local liquor store yesterday, and thought to myself how much of a steal Paulaner's 4 pack 16.9oz are right now at $8. I'm pretty sure it was the only craft beer in the place not 8.99 or higher. I'd guess the mean to be in the 11-12 range for 4/6 packs, with a whole section now of 4 pack IPA's in the $19-28 range

dewski312, AlcahueteJ and Bitterbill like this.
  18. Bitterbill

Society

Celebration only cost me $8.91 + tax. Awesome though it was aboot 20 cents more than last year.

AlcahueteJ, o29, Rug and 3 others like this.
  19. smutty33

smutty33 Crusader (782) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

50 cents more here...$9.99 to $10.49 plus tax.

Bitterbill, Rug and Mindcrime1000 like this.
  20. moodenba

moodenba Zealot (504) Feb 2, 2015 New York

You are right not to worry too much. At least for me, a "feature" of getting old is that capacity to consume mass quantities is reduced. And high alcohol beers are usually out of the question. Beer costs recede overall, even as unit prices soar. Spending for brews is overwhelmed by other issues (home heating will probably be about $1500 more this year). I'm down to about 6 beers a week; so what if the bill goes from $10 or 15 a week to $20?

pudgym29, Junior, eppCOS and 2 others like this.
  21. BeerDrinkinGuy

BeerDrinkinGuy Initiate (55) Nov 2, 2018 Minnesota

I wonder how this will effect such quality breweries such as Minhas.....:grin:

dpc166, woemad, Squire and 1 other person like this.
  22. Soneast

Soneast Champion (859) May 9, 2008 Wisconsin

If we're lucky, they'll go under.

23. BruChef

BruChef Initiate (175) Nov 8, 2009 New York

With the amount of cookies, brownies, cake, fruit, sugar, oats, wheat, and other non-barley fermentables used in brewing nowadays, I’m pretty sure the industry will survive :wink:

24. WillieThreebiers

WillieThreebiers Poo-Bah (7,448) Apr 26, 2012 Connecticut
    Society

Higher prices are a pain, but it seems like the percentage of passed dated beer on the shelf has increased dramatically also...

arizcards, Davmas55, cavedave and 5 others like this.
  25. jkrich

jkrich Meyvn (1,363) Nov 1, 2001 Florida
    Society

Unfortunately, you really can't "stock up" on too much beer because of the freshness factor.

26. moodenba

That might be shortsighted. Minhas could decide to brew more interesting beer in the future. Huber used to brew very good beer at very good prices in that facility, and it could happen again. Walter (Eau Claire) became Hibernia and started making fine beer (the Dark Wheat beer!). Utica Club/West End stuck with the basics through the 70s, but then developed their Saranac line. Ortlieb upped its game in the 70s with McSorleys Ale and then Boar Head Stout, but didn't survive the 80s. Blitz Weinhard introduced a very good Private Reserve in about 80 to add to its lineup (Blitz or Olde English, anyone?).

#26 moodenba, Nov 7, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    pudgym29 and Redrover like this.
  27. mmmbeerNY

mmmbeerNY Devotee (463) Mar 5, 2014 New York

I picked up a case of SN Octoberfest for 16.99 last week. My local beer store seems to always have stack of something on clearance price, although not always something would want to drink, especially since not fresh.

Not surprising beer prices will go up, but I still see so many IPAs on shelf priced so much higher than SN, Jack Abbey, VonTrapp, Sloop, and similar stuff that I'll actually buy

DCH likes this.
  28. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,654) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I can say much the same thing and if I see something that looks interesting price is not a deterrence. On the other hand habits of frugality die hard and I'm descended from a long line of Scots who would nay pay a penny more than they hav'ta.

moodenba, LeRose, Junior and 4 others like this.
  29. Squire

Society Trader

Rather depends on how low it's fixed.

30. Squire

Society Trader

If I make it to 2025 rising costs of beer won't be high on my list of concerns.

31. Squire

Society Trader

One of life's endearing pleasures and beer will never demand alimony.

32. Squire

Society Trader

They will get my money before they get my beer.

readyski, eppCOS, PapaGoose03 and 2 others like this.
  33. Squire

Society Trader

I expect there will always be some cheap moldy grain available.

PapaGoose03, Bitterbill and BigIronH like this.
  34. Squire

Society Trader

Guess I'll have to stock up on Bourbon instead.

35. BigIronH

BigIronH Savant (956) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

Yeah you’re right. I best worry about utilities and groceries first.

Squire likes this.
  36. dpc166

dpc166 Disciple (377) Jan 17, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Maybe this will push the industry to become more efficient with their brewing. An increase of 2% efficiency can reduce over 1mil pounds of grain for some of these larger breweries, like New Belgium. Let's hope they just don't go the other direction and just add cane sugar and call it a day.

37. moodenba

Transportation of raw materials (rail, anyone?) and finished products (growlers and kegs please) is a big factor. Engineering efficiencies for brewing, similar to the one you mention, would be more financially feasible in a larger facility. We have to realize that the proliferation of very small breweries is a phenomenon that is a benefit to us consumers, but will be almost impossible to transform into an industry that contributes much to conservation efforts. A certain amount of centralization of production could contribute to improvements in efficiency.
    Economic pressure on small brewers will discourage investments for longer term payoffs. Distribution areas might also be expanded (increased shipping expenses) in hopes of increasing sales. Additional products seeking a niche might end up as out-of-date product, or even not make it to shelves.

#37 moodenba, Nov 8, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    o29 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  38. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Zealot (516) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa
    Trader

I really expected prices to come down

/sarcasm

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  39. moodenba

This isn't a major inflation event, at least yet. Nobody seems to remember the late 70s, inflation peaking at 13.5% in 1980. Gasoline and oil prices spiking then, as well as other prices. We bought our first house in 77 -- 8.4% interest and that was a bargain rate then.

DonicBoom, Squire, o29 and 3 others like this.
  40. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,317) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Which breweries, macro/craft/ex-craft, use cane sugar as an adjunct? Commodity prices vary but typically in the US brewing industry corn syrup (dextrose or maltose) has been the "cheap" adjunct.