It's Super, It's Sessionable, It's SuperEIGHT from Dogfish Head!

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,555) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew

Brewery releases a Super Gose brewed with a bevy of heroic ingredients

Milton, Del., March 21, 2019 – Calling all beer evangelists that enjoy imbibing with a purpose! Dogfish Head Craft Brewery created a new SUPER beer specifically designed for active lifestyle enthusiasts interested in incorporating high-quality ingredients in their beer choices – because that’s a thing they take seriously. Meet SuperEIGHT – a super-refreshing, sessionable Super Gose. At 5.3% ABV, this unique beer is made with eight heroic ingredients including prickly pear, mango, boysenberry, blackberry, raspberry, elderberry, kiwi juices and a touch of quinoa, along with an ample addition of Hawaiian sea salt. Brimming with hard-working ingredients, SuperEIGHT was brewed to harness the powerful goodness of all-natural fruits. It’s fresh, it’s delicious, and will be available nationally in 6pk/12oz cans in early April. Vibrant red in color, this Super Gose has a slightly tart taste and pleasantly refreshing finish, with delicious flavors of berries and watermelon.

“We’re comin’ at ya with so much juicy flavor with the latest release of our new Gose, SuperEIGHT,” said Sam Calagione, founder and CEO of Dogfish Head Craft Brewery. “With the meteoric success of SeaQuench Ale growing to be the best selling sour beer in America,* we learned from consumers that approachable, refreshing, super-flavorful beers are what they’re seeking when making choices about beverages. We’re listening, we heard you, and we think you’re going to love our wildly delicious SuperEIGHT.”

Oh SNAP! There’s more SUPER info to share…Dogfish Head ‘developed’ the inspiration for this beer with friends from Kodak. In 2018, Calagione joined Kodak, a world-class technology company, to record an episode of their podcast The Kodakery, discussing analog processes in the digital age. During the podcast, Calagione learned that the heightened levels of acidity and vitamin C in certain beers could make them an ideal processing agent for film. As luck would have it, the Dogfish R&D team was working to create a new beer that had a similar profile and unique ingredient bill to the liquid needed for developing film. BOOM! Just like that … SuperEIGHT was born and specifically designed to process KODAK Super 8 Film. Early batches of the beer were sent to Kodak to begin development. A series of tests were done, and they successfully proved that SuperEIGHT can act as a film developer. So what’s next? Calagione is planning an epic, Dogfish Port-to-Port boat trip up this East coast this summer. He’ll be documenting part of his adventure on Super 8 Film which will be developed in SuperEIGHT beer and turned it into a short film. More details on the Port-to-Port trip will be announced on Earth Day, April 22.

For more information about Dogfish Head Craft Brewery and SuperEIGHT, visit www.dogfish.com. To learn about the collaboration and instructions for development, visit www.kodak.com/go/dogfish.

###

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,946) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

“…eight heroic ingredients including prickly pear, mango, boysenberry, blackberry, raspberry, elderberry, kiwi juices and a touch of quinoa, along with an ample addition of Hawaiian sea salt.”

I think the Juiceman would approve of this beer.

Cheers!

3. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (1,609) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Sounds very tasty. I'll look for some as we get toward pool season.

GOBLIN likes this.
  4. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (700) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I had a local beer similar to this last month and enjoyed it. It was billed as an antioxidant sour, minus salt and a little bit different fruits.

Looking forward to this if it’s in the $10 range as well as the low abv IPA from DFH

Enjoy

bl00 and BrewsOverHoes like this.
  5. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,103) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Wonder if they're using kombucha for the stop bath. :stuck_out_tongue: Whatever, I'm in.

6. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,746) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

These damn April Fool's stories are getting earlier and earlier every year.

7. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,534) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Mmmm, always wanted to be in a movie, now a movie can be in me.

I'll def. try it, sounds tasty despite the reference to film developer.

bl00 likes this.
  8. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (157) Feb 13, 2018 New York

Sounds really good. Bit high on the ABV for Gose being called out for being sessionable.

Either way, I'm in. Here's hoping it does not come at the typical DFH price tag

9. zid

zid Meyvn (1,266) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Could've had a V8

10. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (1,681) Sep 15, 2014 New York

11. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (460) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

I was hoping this was going to give Green Zebra a run for its money but it wasn't even close.

This one missed the mark IMO.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  12. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (244) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Unfortunately $12.99/sixer here in my neck of the woods so hard pass until the price drops (or if the mixed pack is decently priced).

13. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (700) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

It’s $11.99 at TW in DE.

Too much for me. $48 plus a case! No thanks.

Guessing the mix 12 pack will be well over $20 at this pricing.

Enjoy

BeastOfTheNortheast and ESHBG like this.
  14. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Disciple (340) Apr 29, 2012 California

15. jayrutgers

jayrutgers Initiate (191) Oct 29, 2011 New Jersey

This is really good.

16. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Disciple (356) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

In Central PA, this is over $55 after tax for a case and over $15 after tax for a 6 pack. No way I'm spending that kind of money.

17. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (581) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

This makes Sierra Nevada's acquisition of that 'athletic beer' company a couple months back make more sense to me. I guess the marketing forecasters have determined there's a future in healthy/active lifestyle/whatever beers.

This does sound awfully tasty though for a summer sipper.

18. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (244) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Yeah definitely a pass for that price.

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  19. jayrutgers

Larger craft brands and maybe even smaller ones are afraid of the spiked seltzer trend. With their low carb and calorie count they're an attractive option for the 21-34 audience. Some of the big boys have gotten out in front of this trend, Dogfish, Harpoon, etc. It's smart by them, especially if the product is good.

ESHBG and meefmoff like this.
  20. jesskidden

Society

$13.49 at Cranbury Buy Rite in NJ :astonished:
    This was in the cooler - No shelf price tag, tho'. (Maybe they were afraid to add one?).

21. jayrutgers

Mix pack is $18.99 in Somerset, SuperEIGHT is $12.99.

22. Riff

Riff Champion (820) May 12, 2016 Virginia

Between the fact that Michelob Ultra has been one of the fastest growth beers based upon gunning for healthy/active, SeaQuench being a huge hit for DFH, and the aforementioned spiked seltzer market, yeah there's a lot of future for that niche.

meefmoff likes this.
  23. meefmoff

Society Trader

I think there's a difference between things like Mich Ultra and Seltzer which are simply low cal options in the long standing vein of Miller Lite and some of these newer things boasting electrolytes and trendy "healthy" ingredients like bee pollen and quinoa. You're right that they're part of the same larger trend but I think it's an attempt to carve out a quite different niche.

24. jesskidden

Society

Sorta been happening since the 1960s, with Dr. Joe Owades creation of "light beer" with Rheingold's Gablinger's brand - at least, that's how he told the story:
    Kinda worked - eventually. Rheingold didn't have a lot of success with it (although contrary to current myth, the beer did survive for about 20 years from both Rheingold and C. Schmidt's & Sons) but it's successor
    Meister Brau>Miller Lite did, and now close to 50% of the beer sold in the US is "light beer".

meefmoff and JackHorzempa like this.
  25. meefmoff

Society Trader

Agreed, though with my addition above that it's arguably a new take on an old goal. I would guess the Venn Diagram of "People who Drink Mass Market Light Beers" and "People who give a shit about bee pollen and quinoa" is not all that close to a full circle :slight_smile: