I've had some super rare beers shipped

Discussion in 'Australia / Oceania' started by Benjo87, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Benjo87

Benjo87 Initiate (124) Dec 27, 2014 Australia

Ive had a bunch of these highly rated holy grail type hazy ipas sent over, all pretty fresh ranging from 1-3 weeks old. I have to say, while they've been decent beers, nothing has blown me away yet. In fact, id say some aussie neipa/ipas have been better, such as Hop Nation - Dawn, squid rising/supremacy.

Surely these beers cant drop off that quick can they? They arrived within 3 days of shipping. Ive had months old aussie ipas that havent dropped off that much.

Beers ive had so far

Treehouse - Haze - this was probably the best of the bunch ive tried so far

Treehouse Green - this was honestly terrible, lots of alcohol notes and not tropical or juicy.

Trillium - scaled up - this was very solid, but again not mind blowing

Treehouse - Alter Ego - standard ipa

Dancing Gnome - infinite highway - decent but not great.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/dTsaP5e

Foam - the shining - super aggressive and bitter

https://imgur.com/gallery/E35fXVE

Trillium - double seesaw - this was fantastic, although not an ipa, so less perishable

https://imgur.com/gallery/rgiWPFb

Looking forward to trying the treehouse stouts, ill update as i get through the beers.

#1 Benjo87, Nov 25, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  2. sinkas

sinkas Initiate (160) Jul 9, 2008 Australia
    Trader

Good to hear the locals cut the mustard, I recall being ahppy with SOS and Heady, but they were certainly not better than good local beers.
    aussie big stouts are still very hit n miss though, all seem to thin

3. Narkee

Narkee Initiate (101) Jun 20, 2013 Australia

I couldn't disagree more to be honest. Heady is possibly my favourite east cost style IPA I have ever had and there hasn't been much come close, including other US brewery attempts. Depth of flavour while maintaining balance is the key and I am yet to have an Australia east coast style IPA that has got close to Heady (or many of the other reputable US brewed east coast style IPAs I have had). They seem to be off one way or another. Generally, too bitter.

Sap is probably my favourite Treehouse, which is an absolutely incredible east coast style.

4. verniel

verniel Initiate (1) Dec 3, 2018

I would love to order them too and taste their rareness.

5. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,651) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Have had a few of “rare club” beers closer to their origin points, e.g. we’ve had at least two drops of Heady and Focal Banger in the Philly area this year. They were fresh, carefully handled, and consumed fresh. Both are well made beers and very enjoyable.

But I’ve also had a few beers during visits to Sydney that I enjoyed as much or possibly more. (Course it could have been being in Sydney and sharing those beers with friends I don’t see as often as I’d like. :slight_smile: ) There were a couple I’d probably choose over members of the “rare club,” if I found both of them fresh and on offer at the same time/place.