J Wakefield Releases

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by colt3ninja, Dec 2, 2015.

1. cacostaj

cacostaj Initiate (146) Feb 15, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

DFPF, Miami Madness, BA Zmeis, It's A Trappe

mcc1654 likes this.
  2. colt3ninja

colt3ninja Aspirant (217) Sep 27, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

I figure there will be a BA La Nada well.

3. Lare453

Lare453 Meyvn (1,416) Feb 1, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

Don't forget master blaster

4. colt3ninja

Beer Trader

That should have been exclusive to OGs but along with many of the promises made to the OGs, that didn't happen.

5. TambaTime

TambaTime Initiate (146) Jan 6, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Does anyone have more info on when "early next year" might be, exactly?

Chances this survives until the middle of the month? Slim, or none? I fly down January 16.

6. cacostaj

Beer Trader

I'd say none. Bottles never sell out on release day but they do shortly after

7. MosaicDrops

MosaicDrops Aspirant (242) Jun 4, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

Has anyone heard any updates about potential Street Fruit release dates?

8. HopsintheSack

HopsintheSack Devotee (431) Apr 17, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Any updates on the final OG bottle?

9. colt3ninja

Beer Trader

As far as I know, there should be 2 bottles left no? Making the total 6?

10. HopsintheSack

Beer Trader

Ahh your correct. Was more seeing if anyone had heard any updates. The last email that went out 12/18 said there would be another bottle in two weeks and potentially another that same week. Almost a month now and no additional info sent out.

Just making sure those don't come out and some two week timer starts counting down without notice.

11. mike409

mike409 Aspirant (220) Jan 25, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

At this point I honestly don't think he cares anymore or ever at all.

Kevin_Young, pmarlowe and urielxvi like this.
  12. HopsintheSack

Beer Trader

I agree. Just trying to make sure I don't miss the two week timer he is putting on OG pick ups once the final bottle is released.

13. colt3ninja

Beer Trader

I'm still relying on other people in the club to find out about any news regarding the OGs. I think I asked around 5 times to be put on their email list. Then, I was in town last weekend for MBCP day so I picked up BA Zmeis and BA It's a Trappe and I wasn't even on their list to pick up my bottles. I had to track down emails from them to confirm I was owed those beers. Insane. I'd probably sign up again though because I have really enjoyed the beer so far and as long as I get what is owed to me, that's what matters in the end. I'd love if the customer service was vastly improved but who the hell knows at this point.

14. urielxvi

urielxvi Initiate (83) Mar 13, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

The final exclusive OG bottle is Kool-Aid STUSH!
    I really wanted to make something special for you guys, so we used blue packets instead of red!
    The label is still waiting on approval, since it will be nationally distributed next month, but we put a sticker on the bottle!
    1 per member, you have 36 hours to pick it up before it's forfeit.

15. pmarlowe

pmarlowe Meyvn (1,157) Nov 27, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Same here. Who knew it was so difficult to run a listserv.

The weird thing is that I got a bunch of the initial emails, so somehow I was on the list but then was randomly bumped off.

16. cacostaj

Beer Trader

Is this for real?? :confused::confused:

Hopzilla likes this.
  17. CaptainFleeker

CaptainFleeker Defender (678) Aug 27, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Scary that you have to think about it isn't it?

18. BKnarr

BKnarr Aspirant (288) Sep 5, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

Couple years ago when JWB was a Kickstarter or whatever, I didn't have the money to participate and I was pretty disappointed. But with every post I read here and elsewhere online, I feel like I dodged a bullet.

19. Jerseybeerlover609

Jerseybeerlover609 Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

So he basically took 80 grand and fucked over a ton of people with broken promises and shitty service?

jrnyc and johnyb like this.
  20. johnyb

johnyb Defender (664) Aug 11, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

Yup​

21. johnyb

Beer Trader

Heres a suggestion to JW if you happen to read these forums. Close down the OG as soon as possible and get that PR nightmare behind you. Then start a new club for future releases, but as an act of good faith to those who originally supported the funding of the brewery offer them a free membership in phase two. That would go a long way towards repairing a reputation as an ethical businessman.

22. Jerseybeerlover609

Jerseybeerlover609 Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Kinda sounds like fraud

23. BKnarr

BKnarr Aspirant (288) Sep 5, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

But he does a sweet crossfit program at the brewery on Saturdays. #priorities

24. chardlogic

chardlogic Aspirant (242) Feb 18, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

I'll do pickups for anyone pressed on the two week time limit after the last bottle, message me.

25. polisanl

polisanl Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

Saison aged in white wine barrels and imp stout w/ raspberries aged in rum barrels.

jloomis likes this.
  26. colt3ninja

Beer Trader

This official or just speculation?

27. JD_Bogerdy

JD_Bogerdy Aspirant (217) Jan 12, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

sounds like a few recent releases from the Buddha

BuggalooShrimp and Divo93 like this.
  28. tbadiuk

tbadiuk Aspirant (265) Feb 9, 2009 Manitoba (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Wasn't there supposed to be a la nada bottle?

29. colt3ninja

Beer Trader

I'd assume that raspberry rum BA stout would be the la nada variant.

tbadiuk likes this.
  30. johnyb

Beer Trader

Dear OG's

Your two final bottles are ready for pickup. First is our Imperial Stout aged in Rum barrels with Raspberries added. Second is our Saison aged in Sauvignon Blanc barrels with hibiscus added. This closes out the OG Society. We will be able to hold your bottles till February 19th. So all bottles will need to be picked up by then either by your proxy or yourself.

I want to thank you all for the support you have given us this opening year. We thank you for your contributions and helping us get off the ground. I will say this has not been an easy year for us being an upstart business. I have been lacking on my communication with you guys over the year and I apologize for that. It definitely has not been easy trying to juggle all these hats and run this society. Hopefully you can forgive me for the shortcomings we have had with this society, like i said it has been a major learning curve for us.

We tried our best with the beer releases as well, even though we were met with massive disappointment from a lot of people, we were happy to hear that some of you were satisfied with them.I also would like to thank you guys for the massive amount of patience that you guys had from close of the campaign, through the year and a half of build out that we had on the brewery to where we are today.

Due to how we handled this society, the types of feedback we received from you guys, we think it would be in the best interest of everyone if we did not do the society again in this fashion. So at this time we will not be doing the society for 2016. If we change our mind you guys will be the first to know. Again we say thank you for your patience and support. We hope you guys have a great 2016 and the last day to pickup your bottles is February 19th.

Cheers,

Johnathan Wakefield

31. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Savant (961) May 9, 2014 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

That Saison sounds like a shelf beer. I'd be pissed!

Kevin_Young likes this.
  32. colt3ninja

Beer Trader

The saison was on draft the weekend of MBCP day. It ws ok. Definitely not horrible but yeah. Shouldn't have been an OG beer.

chardlogic and WCKDVBZ like this.
  33. MosaicDrops

MosaicDrops Aspirant (242) Jun 4, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

I don't buy his apology for the lack of communication over the past year. They update their Instagram page daily (often several times). How hard is it to crank out a monthly email?

It seems the OGs have become an afterthought and, at this point, essentially a hindrance to him and JWB.

34. YonelleBarksdale

YonelleBarksdale Aspirant (213) Jan 23, 2012 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

So $300 and 7 bottles = $42 a bottle when it's all said and done. What a deal this club turned out to be.

From his original email to OGs on 1/21/14.

"Also renewals will be at a discounted rate for those that choose to renew their memberships."

I must have missed the part where we get a discount for next year's OG membership...oh wait.

jshusc and kpanter like this.
  35. johnyb

Beer Trader

This, to me, was originally my main reason for joining. Committing $300 in startup money in exchange for six bottles wasn't the main reason most people joined I'm sure. The main motivation for most was getting in on the initial club INCLUDING the first right of refusal to join future offerings, at a discounted rate. Once again Mr. Wakefield lets down those who helped him start his business venture. He should look back to his roots at CCB, and take heed how to run one of these things. ( I'm pretty sure the renewal rate for the next version of El Catador will be very high, and I know of a number of BAs clamoring at whatever openings might then be offered up for new members.)

jshusc, jloomis and YonelleBarksdale like this.
  36. colt3ninja

Beer Trader

El cat round 3 has already been announced to cost the same as last round. $150

gjoker321 and YonelleBarksdale like this.
  37. johnyb

Beer Trader

Pardon my grammar, when I said renewal rate I should have said percentage, as in a very high percentage of current members will likely renew.

FrankenMiller and Devman171 like this.
  38. lionssoccer13

lionssoccer13 Aspirant (260) Jun 30, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

When you put it into that context it really stings. Even if you factor in t-shirt, glass and lame party you're still looking at $35 or more per bottle. What a shame...

39. YonelleBarksdale

YonelleBarksdale Aspirant (213) Jan 23, 2012 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Couldn't make the party because my first child was born within a week of the party and the glass and T shirt were afterthoughts. They didn't cost anything to make for the number of OGs that there were.

40. oso4life

oso4life Initiate (145) May 22, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

I have a feeling that no matter what Wakefield would've done not a single person would be happy.

johnyb likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe