J Wakefield Releases

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by colt3ninja, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Jarnet87

Jarnet87 Initiate (150) Jul 30, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

Jiu Jitsu and Mango & Cash are drinking great, may grab another 4 pack of Jiu Jitsu if they still have this weekend. Prefer Jiu Jitsu myself.

Also got to try Gimme Smores on tap at Union. Awesome stout, I did not think it tasted anywhere near the 14.5%.

#1081 Jarnet87, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    jcb7472 and AdrianC31 like this.
  2. Xeal

Xeal Aspirant (205) Mar 5, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

I'm visiting Miami for the first time next weekend (March 24-27) and thinking of stopping by JWB. Is what's listed on the website the only beers available at the brewery? http://www.jwakefieldbrewing.com/beers/

Can we consume bottles or cans from the fridge? I plan on traveling light and don't think I'll be checking in any bottles back. I'd consider shipping some back to myself if some rarer bottles are still available like Golden Ticket. How do I find out what's available besides what's listed on the website?

Also any food recommendations around there would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

3. -TK421-

-TK421- Initiate (146) Jun 4, 2016 Florida
    Beer Trader

^ March 25th they're having a release. 4 bottles:

Ay Que Rico - BBA Ducle De Leche Stout
    Ay Que Rico - Scotch Wiskey Barrel Aged Ducle De Leche Stout with Jamican Blue Mountain Coffee
    Forbidden Forest (collab with Modern Times) - Stout with BA coffee added
    Orange Dreamsicle - Berliner brewed with Vanilla and Oranges

all this was posted on Jonathan's personal Instagram.

will probably have to get there early and line up to buy bottles.

i'll be in town and will stop by to get some pours :slight_smile:

side note: in town for Ultra?

gnartothecore and Xeal like this.
  4. LennyRubio

LennyRubio Initiate (170) May 31, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

Check their untappd, they update their current tap list and to-go cans/bottles daily, March 25th would be a great time to stop by as they're releasing 3 new stouts and orange dreamsicle in bottles

Xeal likes this.
  5. Xeal

Beer Trader

Ah damn it lol I was planning on just pregaming at J.Wakefield before going to Ultra but if they're releasing bottles... I have to rearrange my plan to uber back to my airbnb in Brickell, drop off the bottles, and go back to Bayfront. I don't think my date will be onboard with that idea. But if she is, does anyone know where I can purchase a shipper box near the Brickell City Centre mall? I see there's a UPS store that I can drop a box off at.

And is Jonathan's IG private? @jwbrewing?

6. gnartothecore

gnartothecore Initiate (196) Feb 4, 2015 Florida
    Beer Trader

Wait, does this mean the coffee is barrel aged, not the beer?

7. Bartos

Bartos Zealot (586) Mar 8, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

Correct.

Yes...this is a thing. Roasters place very fresh (green, unroasted) coffee beans in a recently emptied barrel to soak in the flavor and aroma of the spirit aged in the barrel. (Fresh, unroasted coffee is very susceptible to absorbing flavor and aroma for the vessel it is in and the surrounding area). The coffee is then roasted which burns off any alcohol but leaves the whiskey flavor.

For instances, CCB did a Caffè Americano that was made with Rye Barrel Aged Coffee. It was phenomenal. Even better than their barrel aged Americano that they did for El Cat

8. djben

djben Initiate (143) Sep 4, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

I was going to write off that "BA coffee" thing as a typo.... you learn something new every day.

Now we just need someone to barrel age coffee in a barrel that was used to make a barrel aged beer, then take that coffee and make a barrel aged stout with it and even throw in some barrel aged maple syrup -- provided the process doesn't cause the universe to collapse on itself first.

The next arms race in craft can be how many different forms of barrel aging can you fit into your beer, similar to what the Brew Dog guys started with freeze distillation and breweries competing on who can make the silliest high ABV beverage that still somehow qualifies as a "beer."

mandidp likes this.
  9. -TK421-

Beer Trader

that's it, but yea i guess it's private now

10. gnartothecore

Beer Trader

Thanks for the insight @Bartos

I applaud the ingenuity of the folks who are filling barrels with things like maple syrup, honey, and coffee beans...but I can't help thinking of the "we can pickle that" skit from Portlandia.

Bartos, Matthouse3 and HeartofMiami like this.
  11. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Initiate (94) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Beer Trader

Been private for a bit

12. JerryIsAlive

JerryIsAlive Disciple (309) May 30, 2012 Florida
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Would love a bottle of Orange dreamsicle. Can't make it down that day. Oh well

13. Matthouse3

Matthouse3 Aspirant (218) Jun 29, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

GO EAT AT KUSH.

Some nice dudes on this thread pointed me in that direction while I was in town for Wakefest and it was killer. I've had wood ever since.

TL:grinning:R Dudes gave me wood for Kush.

Bfairhurst74 likes this.
  14. Xeal

Beer Trader

Still waiting to gain access to his private IG but did he post any indication what the limits are?

15. gnartothecore

Beer Trader

Don't hold out for that. I requested to follow him back in Dec and I'm still waiting.

Xeal likes this.
  16. LennyRubio

Beer Trader

Lately they've been announcing limits 2-3 days before release day

Xeal likes this.
  17. JerryIsAlive

Subscriber Beer Trader

No lie, I requested and deleted the request 2-3 times before he accepted me lol. Assuming he only does a handful at a time before he gets bored

Xeal likes this.
  18. Sphilups

Sphilups Initiate (114) Dec 15, 2016 Florida

Does anyone that was at huna day know if the ay que Rico he had there was red or blue label?

19. colt3ninja

colt3ninja Aspirant (224) Sep 27, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

Red was poured, which was bourbon. Blue is scotch barrel.

20. Thirst_trappist

Beer Trader

They'll post the limited on the brewery IG.

So if you don't have JWake himself....you are fine

21. JerryIsAlive

Subscriber Beer Trader

At shot Dreamsicle lasts until night time? Have a dinner at 7 in wynwood and can get there early if bottles available. I guess a lot will depend on how many bottles they announce

22. Jarnet87

Beer Trader

Traffic won't be killer until night time but I am going to avoid Wynwood/Downtown/SoBe this weekend just to be safe.

23. gnartothecore

Beer Trader

Info for Saturday's release

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-TK421-, MosaicDrops and Bogart2930 like this.
  24. -TK421-

Beer Trader

That's My Jam sounded great until they added coffee and cocoa nibs :slight_frown:

SB31 likes this.
  25. Jarnet87

Beer Trader

Agreed. The first time I went to Wakefield I got to try a strawberry IPA or DIPA they had on tap and it was really good.

26. JerryIsAlive

Subscriber Beer Trader

500 bottles of Dreamsicle. That should last until night time right?

Thirst_trappist likes this.
  27. JerryIsAlive

Subscriber Beer Trader

Also curious to hear if cash only. I want 3 bottles of the Berliner but don't want the stouts so determining what time I need to get there lol

Edit - they are working on making it cash or credit

#1107 JerryIsAlive, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  28. Thirst_trappist

Beer Trader

at 3pp...I dunno.

JerryIsAlive likes this.
  29. beertoro

beertoro Aspirant (267) Nov 16, 2015 New Jersey

I'll be there on Wednesday - is there anything they regularly sell in cans/bottles that I could purchase with ease?

I saw they did an OH collab? Any thoughts on that lasting til Wednesday?

30. gnartothecore

Beer Trader

I could be mistaken, but Orange Dreamsicle sold out fairly quick at last year's release? In fact, i think this might have been the only bottle to sell out that day?

31. Thirst_trappist

Beer Trader

I think they still have some cans leftover...but have not seen any recent updates on their social media. maybe facebook has the ansers
    ya, it was really good

32. Xeal

Beer Trader

Where'd you see the bottle count? Do you know the count for the others?

First timer at a JWB release but what is everyone's experience? Do crowds build up early? Are there enough cashiers to keep the line moving? Thanks!

33. LennyRubio

Beer Trader

I managed to pick bottles up the following Monday last year, but not sure what bottle count was in 2016. After seeing the turnout for DFPF not sure what to expect.

34. gnartothecore

Beer Trader

The first couple of people will probably show up around 6 am, but the crowds won't start building up until about 8. JWB likes to keep their bottle counts low, so I wouldn't doubt that Dreamsicle is around 500 and the stouts are closer to 300. Don't take those numbers as anything other than speculation based on past releases tho. So if those counts are correct, I'd guess that you'd need to be in line by 10 the latest to not get shut out of anything.

Thirst_trappist likes this.
  35. JerryIsAlive

Subscriber Beer Trader

Please see 9 posts above. And yes, people will be lined up. There are usually only 2 people taking money. If it's cash/credit, line may be a bit slower. Line is never super fast for big releases but I've only been for Miami Madness/DFPF, which are the biggest releases

36. JerryIsAlive

Subscriber Beer Trader

So for 2016 Dreamsicle you got it the following day? Posts above seem to indicate it sold out same day

37. LennyRubio

Beer Trader

Actually was the Monday after, picked up another 2-3 bottles I believe. Wasting away which was the mezcal ba berliner certainly sold out same day at 1pp during that release (2016 acbw). Now that dreamsicle has gained popularity I don't expect it to last past 3/25.

38. CanesHeatFins305

CanesHeatFins305 Initiate (156) Nov 25, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

seriously doubt it, especially at 3 per person

39. JerryIsAlive

Subscriber Beer Trader

I've committed to going early. lol

40. Thirst_trappist

Beer Trader

How early?

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.