J Wakefield Releases

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by colt3ninja, Dec 2, 2015.

1. colt3ninja

colt3ninja Aspirant (224) Sep 27, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

If he gave us an extra bottle and offered a second membership at a discounted price, I'd be happy for one.

2. kpanter

kpanter Aspirant (201) Nov 25, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

Not at all. He could have released 8 bottles, mostly amazing berliners like he's known for, maybe throw a BA La Nada in there, then allowed us to renew for a 2nd round. Oh, and some communication on a regular basis would be cool too. Not that much to ask. But hell, I'm just an entitled beer snob who paid $300 for 6 bottles and an extra $50 for a donor party ticket which only got us a porter and 4 pours of beer. I'm honestly just glad we got DFPF and Miami Madness, and some extra bottles for $20 at the donor party :grinning:

3. YonelleBarksdale

YonelleBarksdale Initiate (108) Jan 23, 2012 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Yes they would have. I would have been but he dropped the ball so many times throughout this process.

-Communication was iffy for most of the membership.
    -He promised input on bottles for OGs-that never happened
    -He said we would have OG only growler fills throughout-that happened I think 2 times maybe 3 over this whole membership and was extremely limited which basically meant nobody out of state got to enjoy this perk. They randomly drew names for growler fills...my name was never drawn because I was never offered growler throughout the membership so that perk was never an option.
    -You got to order one extra bottle online the entire membership.
    -He said we would get a discounted renewal for the second year of membership and first right of refusal to renew-that obviously isn't happening
    -We paid $300 back in October of 2013. It's now 2016 and we're about to get our 6th and 7th bottles. Let's say the t-shirt and glass combined cost $20. You're still looking at 7 bottles total costing $40 a bottle.

People have every right to be upset with how they have been treated given the faith they put in him to make this a worthwhile society 2+ years ago.

4. oso4life

oso4life Initiate (45) May 22, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

I paid $180 for a membership to a beer club very close to there and didn't get a quarter of what you guys got. But I'm not on here bashing everything and everyone in that brewery. You want to know why? Because no one put a gun to my head and ordered me to join. You bash them to the end but then want to join again? You must not be that mad. His first year in business and you want his operations to run as if he's been around for 10 years.

Point is that every beer club gets bashed to the end from what I've seen. He could've given you 10 bottle and you would be complaining he didn't give you 11.

5. Lare453

Lare453 Meyvn (1,318) Feb 1, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

What brewery and what was included in the price?

jloomis, Jroden5446 and Mangbus like this.
  6. lionssoccer13

lionssoccer13 Aspirant (263) Jun 30, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

I believe historically the main complaint about J Wakefield brewing stems from a lack of communication on his part, which he owned up to in his last club email. I haven't witnessed many others complaining about the beers they were getting and most members were supportive of his timeframe opening the business. Listen, most of us understand that opening a business is difficult and comes with its share of roadblocks but to make a ton of promises that he never intended to fulfill, keeping everyone waiting 2 years without proper communication and in the long run charging $35-40 per beer (half of which weren't even barrel aged) is probably cause for concern. You can agree or disagree with our opinions on his business acumen but to come on here and say that people aren't justified in their anger or shouldn't be using this medium to express it is kind of alarming.

By the way, for what its worth I believe you got screwed as well and its a shame that some of these businesses think its ok.

7. urielxvi

urielxvi Initiate (88) Mar 13, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

You missed out on 4 drink tickets, for 5oz pours, and a veggie platter!

Kevin_Young likes this.
  8. Lare453

Beer Trader

I have a feeling we won't be hearing from you on which brewery you are a member of.

jloomis likes this.
  9. 305BEER

305BEER Initiate (46) Jan 4, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

not too hard to figure out. There's only three breweries in the area and only two have a club

10. Lare453

Beer Trader

Other than jwb, I was unaware of any other breweries with clubs.

11. BrujoBlood

BrujoBlood Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

Seems to me he is talking about Vine Club from Wynwood brewing

12. HopsintheSack

HopsintheSack Devotee (445) Apr 17, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

I would have been ok with pretty much everything, IF they would have just communicated more. There is no excuse to not write an email every couple weeks with random information about where they are/what they are doing. Especially if you can put out a instagram every couple hours and hold a cross fit class at your place of business.

BTW stop using Star Wars as a theme, your giving it a bad name!

Kevin_Young, Hopzilla and Thedrizzle like this.
  13. Lare453

Beer Trader

Ok, so from others speculation, you are a member of the vine club. Did you know everything you were getting when you signed up? And did you get everything they said they would give you?

Not shitting on jwb, just trying to make a point.

jloomis likes this.
  14. MosaicDrops

MosaicDrops Aspirant (230) Jun 4, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

floridadrift likes this.
  15. floridadrift

floridadrift Crusader (739) Oct 24, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

ISO, that sounds awesome, very Fantome-ish.

16. cacostaj

cacostaj Initiate (146) Feb 15, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

Rather tasty. Sour and tart with a subtle coffee-chocolate aroma. Likely going on sale this weekend

floridadrift likes this.
  17. Subierex81

Subierex81 Initiate (138) Jul 3, 2015 Florida
    Beer Trader

From their Wakestock Anniversary page. Happening tomorrow from 12pm - 5pm:

We're dropping bottles back at the brewery's tap room after Wakestock concludes... BOOM!
    We will be selling specialty bottle tickets at the Wakestock venue located at 160 NW 26 St. starting at 3PM. These limited batch bottles will be ready for pick up back at the brewery located on 120 NW 24 St. Bottles will be ready for pick up no earlier than 5:30PM. All bottles MUST be picked up the day of the event. We are unable to reserve or hold any bottles overnight.

1. Eastbound & Down collab with Evil Twin Brewing
    Imp. Berliner w/Coffee & Cacao Nibs - $20 (4 bottle limit per person)
    2. Not The Rum
    Imp. Stout Aged in Rum Barrels w/Coconut - $25 (1 bottle limit per person)
    3. Ryevan Drago
    Imp. Stout Aged in Rye Whiskey Barrels w/Vanilla - $25 (1 bottle limit per person)
    4. Desparado
    Imp. Stout Aged in Whiskey Barrels w/Cassia Bark, Ancho Chili & Cacao Nibs - $25 (1 bottle limit per person)
    *Bottle sales are cash only. There will be an ATM at Wakestock venue.

18. PurdueBrewCrew

PurdueBrewCrew Initiate (136) May 28, 2015 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Nice to see he saved the good stuff for non-OGs Society events.

19. lionssoccer13

lionssoccer13 Aspirant (263) Jun 30, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

Can I trade my BA Saison or Quad for one of these?

20. johnyb

johnyb Defender (691) Aug 11, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

JW seems to like rubbing salt in the wound. I know it's small change in the greater scheme of things for him, but I for one will never line his pockets with another dime.

21. rightcoast7

rightcoast7 Disciple (341) Apr 2, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

L. O. L. I feel genuinely sorry for the OG's, but the utter cluelessness (or is it deliberate?) is breathtaking.

jloomis likes this.
  22. colt3ninja

Beer Trader

It's totally deliberate. No way it can't be. The names of his beers (Keyboard Muscles et al) are clear signs of this.

Kevin_Young and TBBAGBIF like this.
  23. floridadrift

Beer Trader

It seems like a case of bites the hand that feeds you from both perspectives, the OG and the brewer. Hope everyone put that concept aside and make it out though, should be a blast!

24. tbadiuk

tbadiuk Aspirant (268) Feb 9, 2009 Manitoba (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Seeing as how I'd guess the majority of OG's had pretty much no contact with JWB (out of state,etc) this seems pretty crappy. That is, I have no clue why he seems to be so hateful towards the people that helped him start his brewery. Oh well, this definately shows character just not the good kind. Karma tends to always come around though.

bushycook likes this.
  25. jloomis

jloomis Disciple (315) Jan 6, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!
    How in the world do the people that gave him an intrest free loan of $110,000 "bite the hand that feed them"???? A few OGs expressed frustration with how the club was being run (and at this point good luck finding anyone truly happy with how it was handled) and that justifies having the club end, and just as it ends simultaneously releasing three beers that all are better than the majority of the beers given to those that supported him? And at a 50% discount with no waiting!?!?!? Seriously feels like a big middle finger to all that supported him. He took some peoples internet insults way to personally and instead of using that criticism to improve he took it out on everybody. I see no way at all that the finger can be placed in any way shape or form to those supporters. Personally, I have stood up for him many times and held my faith that things would pick up and be run better, but seriously the release of these bottles is an upper echelon lame move.

26. flexmagli

flexmagli Initiate (68) Jul 22, 2015 Florida
    Beer Trader

So after stating multiple times they would be selling the bottle tickets at 3pm they ended up selling them right at open. I ended up missing out on Not the Rum. Got the last Desperado and Ryevan Drago.

Beer4B, Hopzilla and johnyb like this.
  27. Lare453

Beer Trader

Desperado and not the rum are incredible. Ryevan is really good too, but not as good as the others.

Bottles of east bound on sale this morning at the brewery. Not many left.

floridadrift likes this.
  28. flexmagli

Beer Trader

What he said.

floridadrift likes this.
  29. JD_Bogerdy

JD_Bogerdy Aspirant (217) Jan 12, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

Got there at 2:30 after a 90 minute drive, and only Eastbound was left. Seems like this guy wants to make it as hard as possible on himself. I've withheld negative comments before even tho they have been warranted, but this guy doesn't deserve that respect. Complete joke of a businessman!

CaptainFleeker, TBBAGBIF and Divo93 like this.
  30. Divo93

Divo93 Initiate (149) Feb 17, 2015 Florida
    Beer Trader

Yeah I was pretty bummed out. Wasn't able to be there from noon-530. So I tried to get there around 3 when bottles were supposed to go on sale. Oh well, guess I'm the sucker for listening to the countless social media posts in regards to Wakestock.

JD_Bogerdy likes this.
  31. floridadrift

Beer Trader

Party was awesome. Great beers on tap, bottles were dope and lasted over an hour or so. Mornin Delight wasn't as good as the bottle. I got there at 11, went to breakfast and stood in a short line until it was open. Nice crowd, mixed demographic though, beer geeks and beautiful people just trying to get drunk. JWB beers were second longest line to MD when it was pouring. Loved that the fest was free and re entry was no issue. I was able to walk to the brewery and pick up my bottles and walk to my car at the fest. I knew the bottle counts were low so I didn't risk showing on time or late. Good seeing everyone that came out, sorry about the OGs that he did só dirty too.

32. JD_Bogerdy

JD_Bogerdy Aspirant (217) Jan 12, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

If I got there and the line for bottle tickets was long and I wasn't fortunate, then I wouldn't have a single bad thing to say. Overall I had a good time. It was a well run event. But at 11am J Wakefield himself posted again that bottle sales START at 3. I'm not crying, not making a big deal about it. But it deserves to be mentioned. How hard is it to say something and stick to it?

Divo93 and jloomis like this.
  33. colt3ninja

Beer Trader

I'm just glad going against his word is not limited to the OG society. Is he a compulsive liar?

34. flexmagli

Beer Trader

It was really a great event but missing the NTR bottle was a disappointment.

35. NoleBeerNoleFun

NoleBeerNoleFun Aspirant (270) Aug 17, 2015 Florida
    Supporter Beer Trader

For the life of me I don't understand why anybody supports this guy or his brewery...I don't care how good the product is at some point you need to respect yourself and the others he constantly screws over...when you all still show up and buy his beers it just reinforces his attitude and behavior that he is bulletproof...I know I won't even consider stopping by that booth at HD but I am sure many others will

36. mike409

mike409 Aspirant (220) Jan 25, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

As a former OG and out of towner, did this guy build a brewery kind of as a hang out for his friends as his first priority?

Kevin_Young, Hopzilla, BKnarr and 2 others like this.
  37. TBBAGBIF

TBBAGBIF Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2015 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Stop by, ask for a full pour, then pour it out in front of him and say you're pouring it out for all your OG homies.

Kevin_Young, mgr78704, Divo93 and 8 others like this.
  38. JAStheAce

JAStheAce Initiate (157) Apr 25, 2009 Florida
    Beer Trader

Wakestock 1 Year Ann'y Event - 2/13/2016

The Good: It was a really good event and the tap list was badass. Arrived at 11:45AM and got in about 20 minutes later after waiting in line. Could not believe that the bottle sales were going on just as you walked in after reading everywhere that bottle sales would begin at 3PM. Strolled to the Morning Delight tent and there was no line at the time - I literally walked up and could have just camped out there. An awesome beer and very glad I was able to try it. The event was full of people but never packed and never felt crowded or gross - eclectic mixed scene of Miami people and beer people. Top notch Miami weather day and that was huge given last year's monsoon/flood drink beer in water up to your ankles. My favorite beers I tried were: TG Morning Delight (lived up to the hype), Hawaiian Speedway, JWB Ryevan Drago (love that vanilla), JWB Miami Madness, CCB BA Marshal Zhukov in Sherry barrels, JWB Not the Rum, and Lost Abbey Track 10 (this was amazing).

The Bad: It was in black and white everywhere that bottle sales were going down at 3PM. People made plans and relied on that communication from JWB and it didn't happen. One of my friends made plans to get there at 2 to get the bottles and it sucked to tell him the bad news that all the stouts were gone in an hour or so. I think he spent the day crying in the fetal position haha but I will invite him when I crack mine open. (From an efficiency standpoint and to keep things organized, maybe it worked out to sell bottles at Noon because having to re-form bottle lines during the middle of the event may have caused chaos but by no means am I excusing going back on your word in black and white that the bottle sales were happening at 3PM)

My $00.02 - Cheers!

39. SPRichard

SPRichard Disciple (360) Apr 26, 2008 New Jersey

DFPF bottles go on sale next week as per an Instagram post.

That means they'll probably be on sale this Thursday.

Divo93, John21, tanis38 and 6 others like this.
  40. Lare453

Beer Trader

Dfpf bottles on sale this weekend.

floridadrift likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.