J Wakefield Releases

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by colt3ninja, Dec 2, 2015.

1. flexmagli

flexmagli Initiate (66) Jul 22, 2015 Florida
    Beer Trader

Is this on his personal insta or the brewery? I don't see it on the brewery insta...

2. SPRichard

SPRichard Disciple (355) Apr 26, 2008 New Jersey

Personal IG

3. Seamus

Seamus Disciple (312) Jun 12, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

Anybody else planning on calling 3-5 times a day starting tomorrow to see if DFPF is available? The sad thing is that this is only half trolling since you never know when he will actually start selling them.

jeevo, BKnarr and Bogart2930 like this.
  4. flexmagli

Beer Trader

Brewery insta says February 27th

5. badboy7113

badboy7113 Devotee (437) Jan 19, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

I am so glad that I didn't get in on his society! I said from the get go (you can refer to my post a long time ago in the og society sign up) that he was going to screw everyone over and that he was a shitty business man. He was always a guy at events that would only serve his friends before people that paid and has always rubbed me the wrong way.

I feel sorry for all the OG's that got suckered into his shenanigans. I will never support this guy or his brewery. Glad you jerked everyone around so that you could get your brewery going but you shit on everyone that supported you and helped you!

6. Kevin_Young

Kevin_Young Devotee (466) Aug 23, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

don't forget a workout facility too

7. HarryS

HarryS Initiate (114) Aug 19, 2015 Florida
    Beer Trader

Bottles at Wakestock '16 going on sale early was an innocent mistake made by the person who was in charge of the sale, who happens to be a fantastic person, + felt horrible about the mistake. You can blame JW all you want, because you're going to do so, anyways, but none of you saw him, + the frustration that came with having to deal with this obvioisly big, but again, innocent mistake.

It was not intentional, despite some ridiculous suggestions in this thread.

floridadrift and BrujoBlood like this.
  8. colt3ninja

colt3ninja Aspirant (220) Sep 27, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

He's fucked up a lot of things so far, so it really wasn't a far stretch to blame Wakefield for this mistake

9. HeartofMiami

HeartofMiami Champion (833) Sep 20, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader Subscriber

Can you "unlike" a post?;)

NoleBeerNoleFun and Seamus like this.
  10. flexmagli

Beer Trader

Having poor oversight of your event is the responsibility of the owner be it an innocent mistake or not.

poonamibaxter, jrnyc, jloomis and 5 others like this.
  11. BrujoBlood

BrujoBlood Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

HarryS said it well. It is obvious that the OG club was lacking a ton of communication that would have gone a long way in dousing the flames but the hate has gone too far in my opinion. I know "keyboard justice" feels empowering but JWB is making world class beers which should be celebrated. J.Wakefield is a family man who is heavily involved with community, the perception that he is purposely sitting in a swivel chair and petting his cat like a Bond villain to plan his next evil move is very inaccurate. It is just disappointing that the amateurish mistakes in the OG society have led us here

12. TBBAGBIF

TBBAGBIF Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2015 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Except he JUST made ANOTHER amateurish mistake LAST WEEK.

poonamibaxter, jrnyc and HeartofMiami like this.
  13. HarryS

Beer Trader

That's correct, + he's owning up to it.

Apart from that, Wakestock '16 was a fantastic event, one in which everybody had a great time, + tried beers some might never have the opportunity to drink again. Without a doubt, one of the best beer events I've ever been to.

#133 HarryS, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    floridadrift likes this.
  14. Beer4B

Beer4B Defender (640) Feb 28, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

Isn't he kind of "asking for it" when naming his beers "keyboard muscles" and "haterade" and the like? Not to mention many other examples...and I'm NOT an OG, so no emotional hate here. It just seems he is making it appear intentional these days, whether it was originally or not.

#134 Beer4B, Feb 19, 2016
  15. MosaicDrops

MosaicDrops Aspirant (250) Jun 4, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

Don't forget his latest one, Troll So Hard

16. colt3ninja

Beer Trader

It's really hard not to think he's just being an asshole to the OGs with the names he's giving his beer. That's for damn sure

Kevin_Young and jrnyc like this.
  17. flexmagli

Beer Trader

Where did he own up to it? I never saw a public apology.

rightcoast7 and colt3ninja like this.
  18. HarryS

Beer Trader

He apologized to anybody who had the sense to go up to + ask him what had happened, in person, at the festival.

BrujoBlood likes this.
  19. colt3ninja

Beer Trader

So you only found out that he apologized if you confronted him? Why not go on social media and address the mistake to EVERYONE? Seems shady. Seems like he's only willing to admit that something went wrong when cornered. This is bad. Very bad.

Kevin_Young, poonamibaxter and jrnyc like this.
  20. HarryS

Beer Trader

:)

If that's what you get from what I said, then so be it. He apologized to those it happened to, in person, when they wondered what had happened. No reason for him to have to address people online, when they were all there. Either way, people like you will always find a reason to hate.

As for me, I always prefer somebody who's man enough to tell me in person, + not wait until the keyboard warriors, most who weren't even at the event, started their own hateful arcs in threads like this one.

oso4life and BrujoBlood like this.
  21. colt3ninja

Beer Trader

Ya see, I don't want to hate the man at all. Everyone who meets him says he's a stand up guy. He's just a shitty business man and seems to have a big problem with commitments (release dates, times, etc). There were plenty of people who planned their day around the time that those bottles were released and who did not have the opportunity to address Wakefield directly after being shutout. A lot of those people are/were upset and have no idea that Wakefield made any attempt at apologizing. All I'm saying is that why couldn't he have manned up and made a statement on some social media outlet. He updates those all the time and never once do you see him every apologize for any mistakes that he or his staff have made. So I think you're not giving me credit. I'm not looking to hate on the man. He just makes it so damn easy to.

urielxvi, jrnyc, jloomis and 2 others like this.
  22. flexmagli

Beer Trader

Since when has saying your are sorry been enough of an apology as a business man? A real apology would be to take everyone's name down that was trying to buy the bottles that they ran out and say you get first crack at our next release (DFPF for instance), you have a week to purchase them before they go on sale to the public. That would be the sort of apology I would be looking for and one that any decent business man would think of who is truly owning up to their mistake.

23. BrujoBlood

BrujoBlood Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

Sorry to use your quote here, Colt, I am just using it as a means to illustrate my previous point. Many people on this site have their minds made up about J. Wakefield from how he was introduced by the OG society gaffs and it is through that lens of "hate" that he gets a lot of vitriol directed at him from small slights. Apologizing to people face-to-face like a man is a generally positive behavior yet when viewed through previous biases it is suddenly "very bad".

Truth be told, I know anonymous discussions on the internet are not going to change any one's mind. I just hope people that are on the fence, or have not had JWB beers/met the guy remember the title of this website. We're literally advocates for beer because we love great brews. Please keep that in mind when thinking about JWB and the family man who runs it.

HarryS likes this.
  24. Seamus

Beer Trader

Completely agree with this. I got to the event around 2:30 with the plans to line up for bottles. I was disappointed, but I did not feel that it was the time to confront the guy about it. Other than that, it was a great event and I didn't want to take his time to complain about one aspect of it. I am far from the only person in this situation. While trivial, I was hoping to see something about this mishap on their Instagram sometime between the event and their next #BreweryBootCamp. Instead they just removed any reference to the 3PM release to their earlier posts. To somebody who hasn't talked to anybody from the brewery since the event, it would look a lot more like sweeping it under the rug than owning up to it.

Truth be told, we are even talking about this because enough people (including myself) were able to try the brews at the event and were likely blown away by them. I tried ranking my top beers from the event and it was difficult for me to order #1-5, but they were all from JWB. Some of their beers are simply that good.

#144 Seamus, Feb 19, 2016
    Deltoro, Bogart2930, Beer4B and 2 others like this.
  25. colt3ninja

Beer Trader

I don't mean to say that him apologizing in person to a few people was bad. Sorry. I meant to say that it was not enough. Not by a long shot. Most of the breweries I support are quick to get on social media and make a public apology and at least EXPRESS that they are going to take a look at things and try to make them better in the future. He simply doesn't do that. He's just ready to tell you it's ladies night or whatever the hell he has going on in the future in an attempt to make money. I don't care if he is a "family man." Should I feel bad for a corrupt businessman who also happens to have a family? That's never going to sit well with me in any situation. He totally disregards the past. And even if that last statement I made is not true, you would have no way of disproving it. There is no written proof or documentation that he has acknowledged any issues whatsoever PUBLICLY. So why should I to be ok with him apologizing to a few people (again, doing the bare minimum) in person but still not making the necessary efforts to make his operation run smoother? The same things are going to happen again and again and again. I have seen him make 0 effort to fix ANYTHING. You can even take the OGs out of the equation and just focus on this release.

I like this man's beer. I want him to succeed. I really really do, but stop giving this man a free pass. Why does he deserve it?

jrnyc and TBBAGBIF like this.
  26. mandidp

mandidp Initiate (32) Oct 3, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

I'm mostly a lurker but my group actually did go up to him the day of the fest and ask for an explanation, so I'll throw my experience out there. We were told that he "has a lot going on right now, I'll get back to you guys". So we stood there, and waited. He never came back to us, so we approached him again later on and he apologized and said he'd let us buy a bottle each if we waited until 6pm, after the fest. This was at around 2pm, my group chose not to wait and we left. No mention of an "innocent mistake " by the person in charge of sales.

jrnyc, Beer4B and TBBAGBIF like this.
  27. HeartofMiami

HeartofMiami Champion (833) Sep 20, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader Subscriber

Disclaimer: I was not an OG member nor did I intend to buy bottles from the last release nor attend Wakestock. I have met him in person and tried many of his beers (highly rated on this site) and I have to say two things:

1. He is not a nice nor sincere individual.
    2. Few of his beers are actually good/worth seeking out

I wish him the best of luck with his ongoing business practices!

Kevin_Young likes this.
  28. Beer4B

Beer4B Defender (640) Feb 28, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

As an outsider, he has nobody to blame but himself for the conclusions people have drawn about him. Why? Because even though he's been given the chance to respond, return an email, make a post (etc) about such "small slights", he instead has chosen to ignore them or sweep them under the rug. THAT is more telling of his character then the mistakes, IMO (and again, as a non-OG).

Everyone makes mistakes and I don't know anyone that would expect a homebrewer with a day job to launch a brewery and not have hiccups. It's his response (naming beers that appear like giving the finger) and lack of response is what appears to ruffle most feathers. *not to mention he appeared to shave every last corner he could to "fulfill" or "end" the OG society, then immediately starts crushing releases.

In most business practices, you use the same medium you used to announce something to apologize or publish a mistake. If you are going to use Instagram to promote a bottle sale and to get people out, then use Instagram to post a correction or apology...that's how you "own" a mistake, at minimum.

29. floridadrift

floridadrift Crusader (726) Oct 24, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

JWB's Facebook CLEARLY STATED that they would be releasing tickets for the bottles at the event. (So I used my cognitive thinking skills and showed up for the event before it started because I knew the bottle counts for each were 150) On his instagram, JWB states they selling bottles at 3pm (When I used my cognitive thinking skills, I assumed, like FB's release, they were releasing the bottles, which we'd of already got tickets for at 12pm) Guess what? THATS WHAT HAPPENED. All you guys that couldnt get there until 3pm or whatever your excuse was for not attending the beginning of the event is the reason you didnt get bottles, or in some case, didn't get the FULL allotment. Relax. You sound like the guy that always lucks out at the Cycle event on repeat. This is turning into a South Carolina hype thread with hatred on a brewer who makes great beers but sucks at marketing. Big deal, we all still want his beers except for a few keyboard warriors. We get it OGs, you don't like J. Wakefield and you don't want anything to do with him, he doesn't want another club and he shouldnt have one. I can easily look through this thread now to find that out, thank you. Next up, DFPF on February 27th, hopefully if it doesnt release early. If it does, oh well, its beer, awesome, sought after beer.

oso4life and NoahMayes like this.
  30. tbadiuk

tbadiuk Aspirant (266) Feb 9, 2009 Manitoba (Canada)
    Beer Trader

What about releasing a fruited stout to OG and then releasing those nice choice coconut/vanilla/etc variants at the party literally days later? Doesn't that seem a bit odd to anyone?

Kevin_Young likes this.
  31. Seamus

Beer Trader

Yea... this is wrong. This isn't an opinion thing, it was 100% clearly stated. Their posts clearly said tickets for the bottles will be sold at 3 at the event and they can be picked up after the event from 5:30 - close. Your cognitive thinking skills led you to make a wrong decision, and you got lucky because an employee made an accident (as Wakefield has apparently said himself).

#151 Seamus, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
    PJ_, blacknyellow20, TBBAGBIF and 8 others like this.
  32. Lare453

Lare453 Meyvn (1,312) Feb 1, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

Where did you see Wakefield say an employee made a mistake?

33. Seamus

Beer Trader

34. jloomis

jloomis Disciple (313) Jan 6, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

No, I for one and I would also say the majority of OG's DO NOT hate Wakefield, its not personal. Remember, we are the people that supported him way way way before the brewery opened. We tried his beers way back in 2011-2012, loved them, many of us meet and talked with him, and many had some great interactions with him. I personally did, and that is why we choose to back him personally and financially. In addition, we all knew it was going to take A LOT of time to get up and running. Our frustration is NOT with the length of time, or with "bad marketing", or him personally, it is as others have pointed out that in the end he barely even met his obligations for the OG society (exclusive donor party bottle, 2 surprises...), and how he seemed to become angry and frustrated with those that supported him early on.

Yes, he had a few as you call them "keyboard warriors" that early on expressed frustration and made personal attacks, but for him to then equate that behavior with his entire group of supporters seems wrong. Naming beers "Haterade", "Troll so Hard", and "keyboard muscles", and then releasing a bunch of excellent bottles directly after the society ends has definitely made many of us early supporters feel a bit used to say the least.

Do I "hate" him and not "like" him as you seem to think because of this? No, absolutely not, and I maintain that in all of my interactions in person with Wakefield he has come across as very personable and yes he brews great beer, for these reasons I choose to support him. But how in the world can we not feel frustration at how this situation has played out?

For some reason in your posts in this thread you come across as if you are blaming the customers and his supporters and not even acknowledging the fact that the brewery itself has made several errors, and now that the problems were because of a lack of cognitive skills on our part.

35. Lare453

Lare453 Meyvn (1,312) Feb 1, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

Ok, so jw never said it. People in the post said it.

Divo93 likes this.
  36. Seamus

Beer Trader

Note my use of the word 'apparently'. People said that that is what he told them.

#156 Seamus, Feb 20, 2016
  37. floridadrift

floridadrift Crusader (726) Oct 24, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

Dude, Im not blaming you, sometimes when people invest there money, it doesnt work out. The end. Enough with the sappy responses, report him to the BBB.

If you didn't have Instagram for Wakestock and you only saw FB, you could've rationalized to make the entire event to ensure bottles like the other 100 people in line that got bottles with me. I drove from Orlando with friends. I don't feel lucky because I can read. @Seamus

#157 floridadrift, Feb 20, 2016
  38. PurdueBrewCrew

PurdueBrewCrew Initiate (136) May 28, 2015 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

This is great, taking a subtle dig at Westbrook because they prefer release methods that take care of their local fans rather than catering their releases to Floridians who can waste 10 hours driving to them, while simultaneously defending Wakefield.

39. Skelator

Skelator Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2011 Yukon (Canada)
    Beer Trader

The JW apologists here are amazing.

PJ_, flabeer, Lare453 and 10 others like this.
  40. Auror

Auror Defender (634) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Having worked in customer service for a long time, I've always taken these statistics to heart: "96% of unhappy customers don’t complain, and 91% of those will simply leave and never come back."

A good manager or someone trained in customer service has to notice and seek out those unhappy customers. I mean, I guess that really only matters if you care about your business or customers, though.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.

Learn More
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.

Learn More
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Learn More