J Wakefield Releases

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by colt3ninja, Dec 2, 2015.

1. colt3ninja

colt3ninja Aspirant (220) Sep 27, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

Anyone know if a bottle release is gonna accompany the tasting?

2. gnartothecore

gnartothecore Initiate (194) Feb 4, 2015 Florida
    Beer Trader

From the FB event page

Desperado:
    Imperial Stout aged in Bourbon barrels with Cassia, Ancho chilies, and Cacao Nibs.

Han Shot First:
    Imperial Stout aged in Bourbon barrels with smoked Ghost Peppers, Vanilla, and Cacao Nibs.

Moral Imperative:
    Imperial Stout aged in Bourbon barrels with Mostra Coffee Kopi Luwak beans.

Street Fruit:
    Our Berliner collaboration with Other Half Brewing Company.It is a Berliner brewed with a mix of citrus fruit.

Wow, never had any of these. Def gonna be there for Street Fruit and HSF

3. Subierex81

Subierex81 Initiate (135) Jul 3, 2015 Florida
    Beer Trader

They are saying all 4 are being released on the 9th. More details to come on pricing/bottle limit.

4. floridadrift

floridadrift Crusader (726) Oct 24, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

I can't wait to see Miami again.

polisanl likes this.
  5. manbearpack

manbearpack Disciple (348) Feb 10, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader Subscriber

They updated the 4/9 event on FB today, limits still TBD.

Desperado $25
    Han Shot First $25
    Moral Imperative $TBD
    Fruit Street $20

6. beeeeerme

beeeeerme Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

do these releases typically sell out day of? i'm flying in on sunday, 4/10 and would love to get my hands on a couple bottles...

7. Bogart2930

Bogart2930 Initiate (142) Jul 11, 2015 Florida
    Beer Trader

Depends on the bottle counts but my best guess is the stouts will be gone same day even within a hour like dfpf. Maybe a chance at fruit street because some people deciding to pass on it because they are already spending $75 plus on three bottles or the higher count may save it from selling out but I'm just being speculative.

8. Lare453

Lare453 Meyvn (1,312) Feb 1, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

What's the bottle count on these

9. oso4life

oso4life Initiate (43) May 22, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

The stouts will definitely not last until Sunday, the sours may as Bogart mentioned, and I assume the bottle count will be somewhere around 400 for each of the stouts as they were when they were sold at Wakestock.

10. polisanl

polisanl Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

Each stout,120 bottles.

11. cacostaj

cacostaj Initiate (146) Feb 15, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

Camp-out will be necessary :)

BlumBeer and gnartothecore like this.
  12. flexmagli

flexmagli Initiate (66) Jul 22, 2015 Florida
    Beer Trader

Wakestock bottle counts were around 150.

chardlogic and polisanl like this.
  13. manbearpack

Beer Trader Subscriber

I wonder what time lines will start, I'd like to get some, but if lines start early and bottle counts are low I won't bother making the drive down there.

14. flexmagli

flexmagli Initiate (66) Jul 22, 2015 Florida
    Beer Trader

Line started forming for DFPF between 9-10am.

15. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Savant (961) May 9, 2014 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

I don't understand why and how can anyone support this character.

16. badboy7113

badboy7113 Devotee (437) Jan 19, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

Couldn't agree more

17. CaptainFleeker

CaptainFleeker Defender (681) Aug 27, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Many beer geeks value the .rar whalezbro and tradeability and posting Instagram whalez photos more so than caring about how certain breweries have treated customers and the craft beer community in the past. Breweries can get away with almost anything because many craft beer geeks don't care how they are treated as long as they get their whalez. That's why.

18. lionssoccer13

lionssoccer13 Aspirant (263) Jun 30, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

I just find it funny that someone with no moral imparative has the audacity to create a beer with that namesake.

Deltoro, jampics2, 7clutch and 6 others like this.
  19. BlumBeer

BlumBeer Initiate (153) May 17, 2012 Florida
    Beer Trader

Key board muscles, Troll So Hard, Haterade...... he has a knack for throwing up his middle finger at his supporters while naming his beers....

20. cacostaj

Beer Trader

Though I sympathize with all the OGs who felt they were dealt a bad hand (some of them being personal friends of mine) and can honestly understand all the anger and frustration, I'm not into "boycotting" businesses based on other people's experiences. Sure, I see why some people feel like no one should ever drink one of his beers (ie AB InBev/Goose Island haters) and I'm sure if I had been personally "affected" my feelings would probably be different. The reality is that I'm not going to take some sort of moral stand when it comes to the consumption of beer. Again, if you feel like abstaining from supporting him that's fine. Additionally, being a local and having personal relationships with some of the people that work there who are not making decisions and are not at fault, it would be unfair for me to directly affect their ability to put food on the table

chardlogic, John21, BlumBeer and 2 others like this.
  21. gnartothecore

Beer Trader

'Cause he makes good beers? I mean, I can only speak for myself here...but I'm willing to guess that's why most people are supporting him/the brewery

thatoneguymike, urielxvi and polisanl like this.
  22. gnartothecore

Beer Trader

According to updated event page, Han Shot First, Desperado, and Moral Imperative are 1 pp (120 bottles for each) and Street Fruit is 4 pp (700 bottles)

23. Manilovebeer17

Manilovebeer17 Initiate (0) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

DFPF release went extremely smoothly in my opinion, I'm hoping we see a similar event for this upcoming release.

JAStheAce and devoutstout like this.
  24. devoutstout

devoutstout Initiate (150) Nov 2, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

they almost always have 1-3 upside down labels as a joke.. I actually try to get them.. I think it's cool to have them..

as far as the low fill goes.. that shit happens to everyone.. I got a low fill maple bacon .. shit happens .. you still have a beer you can trade for just about anything out there..

25. devoutstout

devoutstout Initiate (150) Nov 2, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

I am sure he said bottled.

JWB hasn't canned anything yet.. so I am not sure why this would be the first...

they also don't own a canning line .. so again.. not sure where "can" came from..

26. MosaicDrops

MosaicDrops Aspirant (250) Jun 4, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

Ugh, why would I make that up? Hence why I said mobile canning line in my prior post back on page 1 (i.e. a company like Iron Heart). I realize they have never canned before but this came straight from the bartender's mouth

27. cacostaj

Beer Trader

They have a pallet of cans and initially that was the plan. If they deviated from that then that's another story

28. MosaicDrops

MosaicDrops Aspirant (250) Jun 4, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

This.

Here's the IG post for reference:

We're making liquid art today during the madness of Art Basel with a killer brew day with our friends from @otherhalfnyc. Big shout out to Sam and Matt for coming down and brewing our collab Imperial Berliner Street Fruit. It will be hitting cans in a couple weeks so keep an eye out and follow our insta for further details. Cheers!

29. jampics2

jampics2 Meyvn (1,456) Dec 19, 2008 Ohio
    Beer Trader

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Jaycase, Lare453, Beer4B and 4 others like this.
  30. miamichael2

miamichael2 Initiate (196) Dec 2, 2009 Florida
    Beer Trader

The plan likely deviated from cans when they did the math on price points and ounces. Assuming the cans would have been 4 packs of tallboys (a la Other Half), each 4 pack would have to be $50.39 to get the same revenue per ounce ($20 / 25.4 ounces = $.787 per ounce; x 64 ounces) as a 750ml bottle would. Or $12.59 per tallboy. Obviously no one would buy that, but they will almost certainly sell out of 750ml bottles. And they don't have to rent a canning line now. Can't really blame them for the switch.

JFresh21 likes this.
  31. Lare453

Beer Trader

Upside down labels and low fills for a brewery that is producing a couple hundred bottles vs fb who produced 10000 plus bottles of mbcp... That's the difference.

And the part about it trading for anything...

That's what's wrong with craft beer now.

32. gnartothecore

Beer Trader

Low-fills happen, regardless of bottle count or brewery. Not anything exclusive to JWB. I know that FB tries to filter out as many low-fills as possible to save for fests and store/bar events.

Now, does it suck that low-fills are sold? Absolutely. But no one's forcing you to buy that bottle. I'm sure the person that's 121st in line for a 120 bottle release won't mind buying a bottle that's an ounce short

On a related note, it seems that everyone puts their low-fills aside for trading. I guess it's understandable but still...:mad:

33. Lare453

Beer Trader

And you made my point again for me.

other breweries filter them out and most won't sell them. They are used as freebies.

I'm sure that number 121 won't mind buying that low fill, but again.... sigh... That's another thing wrong with craft beer now.

It's on both the consumer and seller.

7clutch, NoleBeerNoleFun and dsigmon like this.
  34. gnartothecore

Beer Trader

I currently have 3 low-fills in my refrigerator, all from 3 different breweries and with varying batch sizes and I know for a fact that one of these beers was a low number around the same as DFPF. In fact, I had another bottle of a different beer from the same brewery that was also a low-fill, with bottle numbers similar to DFPF. Again, it's not exclusive to JWB.

Low-fills aren't the issue, though. It just seems like there's two camps with the JWB haters: those that have a legit issue due to the way the OG club was run and those that are just jumping on the bandwagon because...I dunno, everyone else is doing it? They keep missing out on bottles? Who knows? But honestly, I think it's time to put the big boy pants on, get over what happened with the OG and move on with life. From what I've read, everyone in the club received what they were entitled to, just not the bottles they wanted? I mean, I bought sea monkeys when I was 10 expecting magical, fantasical aqua-pets and what I got instead was krill shrimp that died after 3 days. Did I show up at Toys R Us every other week to talk shit? Nah, I got over it and never bought another sea monkey kit ever again.

Bottom line is it gets aggravating for those of us trying to get/post legit info about releases and we have to wade through pages of people complaining about how Wakefield ruined their lives or whatever. And I'm sure these people will be in line waiting for bottles on the 9th.

djben, oso4life and chardlogic like this.
  35. Lare453

Beer Trader

I don't have any issue with Wakefield or the brewery. I was an OG and dealt with the bullshit and I'm over it...

What I have an issue with is the way craft beer is going and the people that defend the utter stupidity several breweries are putting their customers though so they can get bottles that "trade for anything" or treat their customers like shit because they want good beer. Beer can be as great, but if I get treated like shit or have to go through too much of a hassle, I won't buy it.

And if you don't like beer nerds whining about shit, your on the wrong fucking site.

36. manbearpack

Beer Trader Subscriber

To get this thread back on track; I've never actually been to JWB, only enjoyed their beers at different events. I'm thinking about driving down from Boca next weekend. Any tips for how early to arrive or where to park? I'm expecting the worst since its Miami.

37. landhoney

landhoney Aspirant (274) Apr 19, 2007 Florida
    Beer Trader

I can't tell if they're still going ahead with cans or not?

I hope cans, not just because of the price.

38. Beerly-Departed

Beerly-Departed Aspirant (274) Dec 5, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

Best line in 2016 for me (thanks @gnartothecore ).

I mean, I bought sea monkeys when I was 10 expecting magical, fantasical aqua-pets and what I got instead was krill shrimp that died after 3 days. Did I show up at Toys R Us every other week to talk shit? Nah, I got over it and never bought another sea monkey kit ever again.

gnartothecore and CaptainFleeker like this.
  39. cacostaj

Beer Trader

There's abundant street parking on 23rd and 24th, specially early in the morning. Keep in mind it's metered @ $1.50 per hour. Make it easy for yourself, download the PayByPhone app and use it. There's also some parking lots in the area that charge a flat rate or $1 per hour so it's up to you. I hang out in the area a bunch and have gotten away without paying a shitload of times, but I've also gotten multiple $18 tickets so I always suggest other people to pay. As far as how early you should be down here for the release, well the answer it's all up to you. If this is anything like DFPF release, and it will likely be so given low bottle counts, I would leave Boca no later than 8. Oh and bring a camping chair lol

JAStheAce likes this.
  40. eye

eye Initiate (79) Aug 29, 2014 Florida
    Beer Trader

wow what a hilarious joke!!!
    when are people gonna stop defending this douche

MatthewPlus, Mangbus, Lare453 and 3 others like this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.

Learn More
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.

Learn More
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Learn More