Jackie O's (2018)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by zbodnar1, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CannedWaggoneer

CannedWaggoneer Initiate (92) May 1, 2017 Ohio

If you understood and accept the risks of buying beers that are so likely to turn out soured then I think you'd more readily accept their offer to fix it. This isn't a new thing, these types of beers have been turning bad for years and years all across the industry, and previously with Jackie O's no less.

So I can't even fathom buying enough of this type of stuff to even have some left over that needed to be exchanged.

tepie likes this.
  2. masterofsparks

masterofsparks Zealot (571) Nov 15, 2009 Ohio

Based on something Brad said here during the previous round of infections, the fact that only beer going into bottles (rather than into kegs, which have had no infection issues, or at least hadn't at the time) ends up infected means it's not a cross-contamination issue.

I'm not an insider and I have no brewing expertise, but hopefully that bit of concrete information will help.

chrismattlin likes this.
  3. Jmalo

Jmalo Initiate (133) Apr 12, 2016 Ohio
    Trader

I'd wager that the kegs are kept cold more often then not, compared to the bottles which generally sit at room temp on a shelf or "cellared" at 60 degrees in someone's basement. The refrigeration *could* definitely be slowing the infection rate in the kegs.

wolfatyourdoor and Ohiovania like this.
  4. Ohiovania

Ohiovania Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2008 Ohio

I would contact them. From my experience they've had top notch customer service.

5. tepie

tepie Initiate (72) Aug 26, 2015 Ohio

He’s right this time around, if you bought the bottles and waited you rolled the dice, I’m not sure why you’d trust to wait given the history and price, they test the beer when it goes out, you’ll have the best chance at that time getting what you expect, sad but true

CannedWaggoneer and chrismattlin like this.
  6. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio

I feel like there is something more to this. I know I have seen 2015 BC variants flow on taps. Surely they aren't all infected. Must be something else? Or am I just misremembering seeing various 15 variants on tap?

7. lftwng4

lftwng4 Initiate (140) Oct 12, 2007 Ohio

I have cases of the stuff and we have never had a single incident of a bad one. I hate to see this as an issue.

8. Beer_Economicus

For the record, this is how JOs should have and should continue to handle such matters:

It should never be a requirement to visit Athens. I still believe that is grade A bullshit given that people travel for many hours to visit.

9. IroquoisPlisken

IroquoisPlisken Initiate (0) May 21, 2013 Ohio

Just so I’m being clear here, I just purchased these beers. I’ll admit ignorance here since I’ve been out of the beer news loop for a while but didn’t this current batch just hit store shelves? It’s not like I just pulled them from the cellar and dusted them off. Last I heard, Jackie Os was right in the middle of the “make it right” fiasco and had read that this wouldn’t be an issue going forward. I bought the beers operating on the assumption that this beer had hit store shelves recently and that this problem was sorted out.

10. masterofsparks

I thought someone earlier in this thread said you were able to send a picture of the bottles if you couldn't visit in person. Did I misread?

11. neelonjm

neelonjm Initiate (41) Jul 13, 2015 Ohio

You could, but you got either credit towards merchandise on their online store, or a gift card that you could use at the brewpub and public house if you ever visited, but not the taproom.

12. Elkevjoe

Elkevjoe Initiate (88) Jan 4, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

13. Zonian1

Zonian1 Meyvn (1,153) Sep 29, 2012 Ohio
    Trader

It pains me to say this, but I just opened my two bottles of ABBA Oil from the Appervation release. The first was sour and bitter--it had none of the delicious brandy notes from the pour I had at the release. This was not something I wanted to drink. So I decided not to sit on the second bottle and opened it. Same result.
    I'll call JO's this week and let them know.

Ohiovania and Beer_Economicus like this.
  14. Fordcoyote15

Fordcoyote15 Savant (977) Nov 19, 2011 Kentucky
    Trader

15. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (483) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Werent all of these BA beers supposed to be pasturized now?

Sabtos likes this.
  16. pest

pest Disciple (354) Sep 2, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

AB Oil was the last packaged before the pasteurizer. Appervation(s) and coffee oil should be first/only so far in the pasteurizer.

invertalon likes this.
  17. neelonjm

Well on the bright side, you’ll now have $24 towards a trucker hat on their online merchandise store.

18. marshy21

marshy21 Initiate (59) Mar 9, 2018 Illinois
    Trader

Has anyone else heard of infection issues? I'm trading for some Appervation + AB Oil that was supposed to ship tomorrow, now I'm nervous

19. cbusnoles

cbusnoles Initiate (195) May 23, 2010 Ohio
    Trader

Not sure how to post a screenshot on here but I checked in a '18 BB Oil in on untapped on 9/7 and it was definitely infected...drain pour....didn't think they had any issues with the new stuff so figured I got a bad bottle but now I'm seeing more people mentioning this...

IroquoisPlisken likes this.
  20. gilligantrips

gilligantrips Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2015 Ohio

Anecdotally, I stored all of my bottles in the fridge due to an exceptionally hot living situation when my A/C wasn't blasting last year. I had several bottles go bad in the fridge.

Sabtos and Beer_Economicus like this.
  21. Gibspeed

Gibspeed Initiate (78) Feb 9, 2017 Ohio

So the "New" round of beers is:

ABDA
    Poly 3
    '18 BB Oil
    AB Oil

I've seen a few claims of '18 Spirit beast as well, but I just opened one last week to make sure and mine was fine.

GeoMalJr and Sabtos like this.
  22. neelonjm

God help the beer world if Appervation ends up turning.

23. wolfatyourdoor

wolfatyourdoor Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2017 Ohio

The Appervation is pasteurized, so there will be no issues there, and in any new bottles going forward.

24. pest

Trader

Anybody know at what point the pasteurization process takes place? I wasn’t sure if breweries are doing it pre or post packaging, or if it varies by brewer.

25. Beer_Economicus

I think GIs is between tank and bottle.

This makes sense. If you pasteurize before entering a barrel, it keeps only that which is going into the barrel from developing. If you pasteurize after barrel but before bottling, you're again pasteurizing only what's coming out of the barrel. If you pasteurize immediately before bottling, everything should be completely pasteurized at that point. (in my mind I imagine at one end the beer goes into the long-line pasteurizer, and at the other end of the line is the bottle.)

This keeps anything that might be present prior to entering the barrel, entering the barrel, or entering in the blending process "dead" by the time it reaches the consumer, preventing any gap for infection to enter. As I understand it, pasteurization does not kill, but it keeps anything from further developing. So, if there is anything present, but it is not noticeable by taste, pasteurization will keep it from developing, i.e. preventing sour notes from forming.

someone please correct me if I am wrong.

@FBarber @Lazhal @Highbrow @Jplachy

Highbrow likes this.
  26. Jplachy

Jplachy Devotee (413) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

I only know the way Goose does it. Which is to run the beer through a flash pasteurizing machine and then moving onto bottling.

FBarber and Beer_Economicus like this.
  27. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (4,228) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

My understanding as well. The beer is pasteurized prior to bottling. Hence, if any off flavors developed in the barrel, or due to being transferred, these would not be "erased" by pasteurization, but the further development of those favors would be halted.

Beer_Economicus likes this.
  28. pest

Trader

Yea I assumed most would do it pre-bottling, but post bottling would seem to be the most full proof. As I understand it other industries do it this way, but maybe that’s not possible for any number of reasons. Yes, I know they have the fancy bottling line that can be steamed cleaned between runs now so maybe this is a moot point.

Sabtos likes this.
  29. GeoMalJr

GeoMalJr Initiate (0) Jun 23, 2015 Ohio

Sabtos and pest like this.
  30. Beer_Economicus

Two things:

1. I don't believe you can "flash pasteurize" if you do it post-bottling. My understanding of the flash-pasteurization is that the liquid runs through a very hot and very small (copper?) line, that is very hot. This "kills" the bugs so that they stop producing anything, but it does not change the integrity of the liquid.

That would not be possible with a bottle-filled beer.

31. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (466) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

Since this is the Jackie O's thread, I can confirm their new machine is a flash pasteurizer to pastuerize pre-bottling.

Zonian1 and FBarber like this.
  32. pest

Trader

GeoMalJr and Beer_Economicus like this.
  33. djgustafson

djgustafson Disciple (315) Jul 25, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Just to add another data point, I also had a BB Oil last night that was rough. It was metallic and tart—not at all what it's intended to taste like.

On the bright side, I had a 2018 Spirit Beast last month that was phenomenal.

34. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Disciple (306) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

Stopped in today

[​IMG]

RyanMcFly1985 and FBarber like this.
  35. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Disciple (306) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

[​IMG]

I may be biased because Jackie O's holds a near and dear place in my heart, but IMO this is one of the most underrated stouts on here. This stuff is so good

Chuck2319 and Bretts545 like this.
  36. alphaiii

alphaiii Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2013 Pennsylvania

Anyone know which of the recent releases were actually pasteurized?

Based on untappd, it seems this year's BB Oil is infected, and that was released after the new bottling line was put in place.

At this point, I'm not sure I want to buy any of their BA beers that weren't pasteurized.

37. wolfatyourdoor

wolfatyourdoor Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2017 Ohio

Appervation and Port App were the first releases that were pasteurized AFAIK. Only thing since then in the BA lineup is BB Coffee Oil, so that one is safe.

chrismattlin likes this.
  38. alphaiii

alphaiii Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2013 Pennsylvania

Got ya, thanks.

39. masterofsparks

There's also Shadow From the Tomb, which was released last week. I'm assuming it was pasteurized, though I don't know for sure.

40. Beer_Economicus

I don't follow social media, so I seem to miss out on a lot of releases. If I am reading the description correctly, this is a mix of different styles then BBA aged? That's interesting. I don't think I've seen them do a blend pre-BAing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.