Jack's Abby: Sour Time Lager Release

Discussion in 'New England' started by LeRose, Jul 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jomobono

jomobono Aspirant (259) Mar 12, 2012 Massachusetts

I know people that still have last year's BA Framinghammer in growlers.

2. MasterCraft

MasterCraft Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2012 Massachusetts

Glad you liked that Hoponius!

I think BA Saxonator was only like $14 or something for the fill, so I'm guessing it will be along those lines.

I would also tend to agree that people should not be going in the hopes of acquiring sweet trade bait, or they may be disappointed.

3. pjl44

pjl44 Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2008 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

I'm sure there will be others on tap for growlers and bottles as well. I think they're just highlighting some treats.

4. DelicateDelirium

DelicateDelirium Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2012 Massachusetts

I would love to try some Sour time, but I'll be up north in Vermont during the release. If anybody would be interested in an in-person trade I'll happily give some Heady Topper for a couple bottles. Please BM me if interested, I'm in Waltham.

5. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2010 Washington

Anybody headed out there Thursday or Friday that would be willing to let me ride along? I will probably only want four bottles, so if you want the other two I'd be happy to accommodate.

cheers
    harry

6. Sejordan2

Sejordan2 Initiate (0) Aug 16, 2011 Vermont

Hey guys, does anyone know if the tasting room is cash only? Hoping there is some left after I get out of work!

7. Woody1180

Woody1180 Initiate (158) Sep 18, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

They take plastic

8. mcBrewsAlot

mcBrewsAlot Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2008 Massachusetts

do they take only jacks' abby growlers, or can I bring others?

9. Auror

Auror Defender (619) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

MA law, only JA growlers.

10. emannths

emannths Aspirant (231) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

JA growlers only, because it's a deposit rather than a purchase.

11. tehzachatak

tehzachatak Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2010 Massachusetts

And only $3, if I remember right!

12. mcBrewsAlot

mcBrewsAlot Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2008 Massachusetts

is it any good? lol

13. Sesmu

Sesmu Aspirant (211) Feb 28, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Shoot! Looks like I won't be able to make it. If anybody going from Watertown/Newton/Waltham/Belmont/Allston/Brighton/Arlington/Lexington area and is not planning to buy full allocation, I would really appreciate getting some for me. I will either buy you something of equivalent or simply pay you. Thanks in advance.

P.S. What's the traffic like around 6:00 PM on Mass Pike West?

14. cbeer88

cbeer88 Crusader (721) Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

Unless they were counter pressure filled, there's absolutely no way they are still good. A well poured and CO2 purged growler might give you a month, and that is really pushing it. A less than perfectly filled one won't give you more than a week or two.

Counter pressure filled is theoretically no different than bottling, and can last forever. But it's more time consuming, so not often done.

15. soheadyithurts

soheadyithurts Initiate (129) Jan 4, 2013 Massachusetts

Sour Time is pretty good. Wish it had pedio in it

16. emannths

17. soheadyithurts

soheadyithurts Initiate (129) Jan 4, 2013 Massachusetts

18. MattOC

MattOC Devotee (421) Jan 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I didn't get an itemized receipt, but my 6 bottles, cooler bag, new growler, and a fill of Hoponius came to $61.

19. SLB13565

SLB13565 Initiate (0) May 6, 2011 Massachusetts

It was $8 per bottle

20. emannths

Thanks--about what I was expecting for JA prices adjusted for storing/funking a beer for a year.

21. jomobono

Anyone going to BBC Framingham tonight for the Anniversary party?

22. jomobono

Don't know, still in the growler

23. Woody1180

Woody1180 Initiate (158) Sep 18, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

Haha good point, but what is his thinking behind saving it? Any experiences with similar attempts?

24. jomobono

He said he doesn't have a good answer

25. LiquidCourage

LiquidCourage Initiate (168) Nov 1, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

Where there big crowds at the brewery today? I'm wondering if any will survive until Saturday morning.

26. MattOC

Trader

Good crowd when I was there this afternoon, 3ish. There were plenty of cases on the floor, at least 10+. I believe they made 40 cases of it, 20 for sale at the brewery and 20 for somewhere else that I can't recall. With the 6 bottle limit I think you'll be good. Reach out to JA to gauge how much is left before you head there.

27. LiquidCourage

Trader

Thanks. I'm headed that direction on Saturday, so I'll probably aim to get there right when it opens. I'll just get some growler fills if the sours are sold out.

28. MattOC

Trader

You're welcome. Can't go wrong there either. Great stuff on tap now: 2nd anni, coffee S & D, to name a couple. I went with a growler of my favorite beer from them, Hoponius Union.

29. tehzachatak

tehzachatak Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2010 Massachusetts

Jack's Abby is so absurd. That costs you 100 bucks most places.

Tschnab likes this.
  30. LiquidCourage

Trader

A growler of MBC Lunch might set you back $100...

franklinn, woosterbill and Tschnab like this.
  31. Gmr75

Gmr75 Aspirant (251) Apr 30, 2002 Connecticut
    Brewery Trader

Grabbed 6 bottles today. 1 already gone. Nice bretty aroma. Restrained tart level. Nice wine notes. Very crisp and refreshing. Could easily polish off a couples bottles on a hot evening like this.

I wonder if this will get a little more funk with some cellar time.

32. jomobono

For those that don't like sours, I would definitely check this one out because it is a very approachable sour. Really nice sour up front, then falls off but lemon citrus takes over so the sourness is not over powering, lets the other flavors come through, really nice.

They don't know if the supply will last till Saturday because Friday is a busy day for them so if you really really want it, make sure to get there on Friday, no promises on Saturday.

33. Chaaaarlieeee

Chaaaarlieeee Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2012 Rhode Island

The price points basically make no sense.

I like what I am hearing so far. Can't wait to grab some.

34. Sesmu

Sesmu Aspirant (211) Feb 28, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

How would you judge it for the style, as a sour beer, not just "sour intro"? I'm not sure where to put it style-wise though... "sorta Berliner Weisse"? :slight_smile: Basically, if you were to recommend it to someone who is looking for a sour beer/Berliner Weisse?

Chaaaarlieeee likes this.
  35. lucas1801

lucas1801 Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2012 Massachusetts

I was probably the last person there yesterday, and there was still 2+ cases on the floor. If Friday ends up being busier I can't imagine much if any will be left for Saturday.
    They said 20 cases at the brewery Thursday and the other 20 available at the brewery Friday.

36. MattOC

Trader

I stand corrected. Thanks for the updates, jomobono and lucas. Based on that latest info and probability of a busy Friday, it doesn't sound like there will be any remaining Saturday. One never knows though so good luck to those holding out hope for bottles on Saturday.

37. LiquidCourage

Trader

Thanks for the info everyone. If anyone goes today (especially past 6pm), can you post an update?

38. jomobono

Yeah, it is close to a berliner weisse in that it has the "acidic, with a lemony-citric fruit sharpness" but this particular beer is not very tart. The Blue Lobster Hamptonweisse- now that was all tart.

Sesmu likes this.
  39. MVP09

MVP09 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts

I consider myself a novice sour drinker and yes very approachable but still has the classic characteristics. Drank it with some buddies who are big time sour drinkers and they loved it. JA hit it outta the park again. Wish they made more! After tasting had no problem dropping $8 very solid beer

40. fineout

fineout Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2010 Rhode Island

I'm heading up there this afternoon, getting there around 530, anyone know what the crowd was like yesterday around that time?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.